• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'll bet money on Mii Costumes, and maybe they'll bring back some old stages, but DLC Echoes probably ain't gonna happen.
Agreed, though I still can't wrap my mind around why they wouldn't want to sell echo fighters for like 2 bucks a piece.
Echo fighters seem like the biggest missed opportunity in Ultimate. Its such an easy way to add some highly requested characters and we really only got a handful of them. I think they're crazy for not doing echoes as DLC.

I guess only time will tell, but they really made it sound like they don't have plans for any future echoes.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Actually he said Steve being in is pretty damn likely.
And again, idk why believing the Grinch leak is relevant to that post

IMO no
Stand alone stages will ruin the stage screen being a flawless perfect box with 109 stages, and Mii Costumes seem like they'll be shop things now. Unless they're added for free into the shop as PART of DLC.

Echoes...I really wish they were, but no, Sakurai goes "and we're not talking Echoes" or something along those lines when he brings up DLC.
It's relevant because people keep on believing things baselessly even after a dupe like grinch they'll take a text leak as credible.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't have an interest in debating which third-party characters we'll get, because in most cases, I genuinely don't care who gets added. Third-parties aren't my cup of tea. Like, at all.

Now if you want to discuss which Nintendo characters are most likely, that's way more interesting to me. It's almost impossible to guess who would get in as DLC now that Spring Man and Rex are seemingly disconfirmed.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It's relevant because people keep on believing things baselessly even after a dupe like grinch they'll take a text leak as credible.
You and I both know calling Verge and Senjou credible is way different from the Grinch leak.
But I recognize your point.

Even if the guy wasn't, you know, a TeamReal.

Graizen

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post: Image only spam
I
HAD
ENOUGH

I got tired of waiting, i will leak the second SE franchise in Smash that will be revealed at TGA, because i lost my patience... Have fun:

Angry-Joe-Net-Worth.jpg

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, a text leak that was not only entirely against the Grinch, but was also completely right in the endgame. :smirk:

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
To be honest: we don't know all the mii costumes currently in the game, right? I know verge is leaning on fighter, but the minecraft content could easily be in the game at this point. I genuinely am just sitting around to see if he pops his head up out of his hole on gamefaqs to take a hard stance on something.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
In the meantime, let's invent a DLC pack (if this hasn't been done yet):

DLC Pack 1:
Playable Fighter: Edelgard
Stage: From the Three Houses
Music: From the Three Houses

DLC Pack 2:
Playable Fighter: Elma
Stage: From Xenoblade Chronicles X
Music: Wir fliegen

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
****ing finally its about time we saw that

But that seems super unfair, why can't other people get their own punish for countering too much unless K. Rool's counter is like, the strongest of them all (which I doubt becuase Corrin still exists).
I think you not understanding K. rool mechanics. K. Rool has super armor on some of his moves through his belly. If he abuse the super armor to the point where the opponent is trading hits with you and losing a certain amount of times; then you get your belly broken and rekt. Still a bad mechanic though and will probably hurt K. Rool a lot

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Except Kingdom Hearts.

That's a lock... sometimes...
It's a door ... I think.
Is it the key?
Is it the moon?
Is it the friends we made along the way ... **** this will be the plot twist KH3

Enchess

Smash Lord
I don't have an interest in debating which third-party characters we'll get, because in most cases, I genuinely don't care who gets added. Third-parties aren't my cup of tea. Like, at all.

Now if you want to discuss which Nintendo characters are most likely, that's way more interesting to me. It's almost impossible to guess who would get in as DLC now that Spring Man and Rex are seemingly disconfirmed.
I'm pretty close to leaving the forum over this. I just don't care about the third party speculation and if first party speculation is going to die down, I just don't think I'll have fun here anymore.

I'm not saying it's bad to speculate 3rd parties, I just give 0 ****s about what 3rd party gets in if one is getting in. I'm much more interested if Saki lost AT for DLC plans or if Elma might make it in. But other people can do what they want.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
I’d say Klefki is a lock
Grinch leak was a one time thing, no credibility exists with it
Vergeben has been right about everything he said about Ultimate. He knows his ****, and he is sure about Hitagi being legit. Vergeben is saying Steve is almost certainly in. So Steve is almost certainly in.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm pretty close to leaving the forum over this. I just don't care about the third party speculation and if first party speculation is going to die down, I just don't think I'll have fun here anymore.

I'm not saying it's bad to speculate 3rd parties, I just give 0 ****s about what 3rd party gets in if one is getting in. I'm much more interested if Saki lost AT for DLC plans or if Elma might make it in. But other people can do what they want.
Stick around in NintenZone my friend. Don't leave us!

Graizen

Smash Champion
DLC Pack 1:
Playable Fighter: Sora

DLC Pack 2:
Playable Fighter: Steve

DLC Pack 3:
Playable Fighter: Banjo & Kazooie

DLC Pack 4:
Playable Fighter: Crash Bandicoot

DLC Pack 5:
Playable Fighter: Rayman

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I think :ultlittlemac::ultinkling: & :ultken: were the only characters that were truly “locks” but yeah, nothing’s guaranteed.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Yeah, a text leak that was not only entirely against the Grinch, but was also completely right in the endgame. :smirk:
Nah Hitagi aint man.

Verge is sure, but he aint doublin down on Steve. Still saying content.

People jumpin to confirmation bias like crazy.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Japanese Smash fans have zero chill and it's hilarious.
These people are so savage. And I love it.

Also, has Decidueye been shown as a spirit? Because I am surprised that neither it nor Rowlet were a Pokeball Pokemon.

beans

Smash Lord
I’d say Klefki is a lock

Vergeben has been right about everything he said about Ultimate. He knows his ****, and he is sure about Hitagi being legit. Vergeben is saying Steve is almost certainly in. So Steve is almost certainly in.
Pretty sure Verge believes Hitagi is credible, but didnt go the extra mile of chaging his claim of minecraft content to a character.
I think Verge isn't sure yet, and with Smash being a something as a streak for him, he wouldnt risk it.

I just want to say I really don't appreciate the way you keep twisting my words around. At this point I'm not even going to bother. I wasn't trying to make an apology, by the way, but I'd be totally willing to make one if you dropped all the ad hominem yourself.

Edit: Now that I've calmed down a little bit more, I'll make you this offer; If you agree to stop trying to escalate this situation, then I'll apologize for being cranky and passive aggressive and then drop the topic myself.
Now that some time has passed for me and I've calmed down too, it's a deal. Let's drop this topic.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
It's a door ... I think.
Is it the key?
Is it the moon?
Is it the friends we made along the way ... **** this will be the plot twist KH3
knowing Nomura it'll actually be Sora dying... because he loves to see us suffering.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
>Remembers how beautiful Banjo’s fur could’ve looked with Ulitmate’s graphics.

*gross weeping*

Nooooo way man. I’ve learned my lesson from the Grinch leak no matter how much I want to support Crash now.
It's fake. Why is it fake? Because everything is fake. I'm fake, you're fake, the Grinch is fake, the Floridian peninsula is fake, China is fake, Beyonce is real but still fake. Are there E's in Klavan? Fake! Nothing is real! Only Vergeben!

*cries in corner of the room*

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If I had to make an educated guess on what the season pass would be, given what we know and can reasonably assume based on Nintendo's relatively short DLC history, this is what I would guess (and there's definitely bias here).

#1: Announced either at the VGAs or in January, the first DLC character will be the Square Enix representative. I say this partially because Verge seems so confident that SE is getting a character, and it's hard to doubt him at this point. But also, I believe it will be Sora despite the odds, as SE and Disney alike will undoubtedly want to milk the Switch fanbase despite KH3 not coming to a Nintendo console. We can reasonably assume that more KH spinoffs will come to the console, as they did on 3DS, and releasing Sora before KH3 comes out benefits both sides of the discussion. Nintendo gets to start their season pass with a bang to ensure more immediate sales and SE/Disney get advertisement to Nintendo fans for their upcoming non-Nintendo game. It makes a lot of sense.

#2: The Microsoft content. I believe that in the spring, we'll see Banjo & Kazooie, the one major Ultimate-hype-cycle character to show up on this season pass. Much like Sora, they're on the front end of the season pass to try and convince fans to purchase the entire thing, as it caters to hardcore fans more than any other DLC character will. I think there's a caveat to this though: more Mii costumes and even a stage are announced for Minecraft content. I believe Microsoft will want to include their biggest moneymaker in any deal to get B&K playable, and that this will be the compromise. Minecraft's optional stage will fill the final stage selection spot that people have been speculating about.

#3: A Resident Evil character. This is my bias showing. I admit it. But there are some things that back me up, particularly the release of RE2 Remake in January and the re-release of REmake, RE0 and RE4 on Switch sometime in 2019, as recently announced by Capcom. Further, RE8 was confirmed to be in production shortly after RE7's release, and if it's within the same engine as RE7 using the same staff, it could be released as early as 2020 and announced in the latter half of 2019-- alongside a Smash Bros. announcement. The timing, much like Sora, benefits everyone involved, and Resident Evil is one of the biggest franchises still not represented in Smash. Regardless of if it's Leon, Jill, Chris or even a tyrant, it would sell. A lot.

#4: The out-of-left-field character will be announced in the late summer, during gaming's typical lull, giving it a better chance to sell to potential customers who have nothing else to buy at the moment. It could be Katalina, since her name comes up so much in "leaks", but I honestly can't predict who the unexpected character is because I wouldn't expect it. I think the number four spot will be reserved for the type of reveal that makes the collective Twittersphere go "WTF", and it will be Nintendo's way of expanding their product past the early adopters and hardcore fans who already purchased the game into a completely separate fanbase. Katalina fits that bill, but so do a lot of other characters.

#5: A Nintendo character. I believe this final spot will not be reserved for a third party, but rather, it will be used by Nintendo to promote some other game coming in 2020. It'll be a character who was too early in the concept phase to be put in the main game, but who Sakurai was excited to make in Smash all the same. This could be Edelgard, or anyone from FE Three Houses, though that's an assumption based only on Roy/Corrin's inclusion as "advertisements" before. More than likely, I think it'll be a character for a game we don't even know exists yet. In the Switch's lifetime, Nintendo has chosen to save their game announcements for the summer before its winter release, and I think this'll happen again. We won't even think of who the fifth and final character is until we know the game exists at E3 2019.

Further, I predict that there won't be a season two, and that Sakurai will get to work on something else entirely. I can't see Bandai Namco's staff and Sora's staff focusing on DLC for more than a year unless it's incredibly lucrative. Both companies will want to do other things.

Then we'll all be back here in like 2024 to speculate all over again for "Smash Bros.", the inevitable reboot that uses the original name and no subtitle for some reason.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I’d say Klefki is a lock

Verge still isn't puttin all his eggs in Hitagi's basket though. He's saying Steve is possible... Sure.. But he's also said his sources saying content so he's not commiting 100% to a playable Steve.

To add more doubt papagenos papagenos source is saying Banjo is DLC. His source is a microsoft connect... So wouldnt he know about Steve as well?

Regardless, Verge aint 100% on Steve so I dont know why we're posting like Hitagi's word is good... Didnt Verge give cred to LOZ at a time? Think about that.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
People in Japan knew who Ridley was, but to my knowledge, they didn't really want him nor care for him in Smash as much as we did over here, and was mostly put in due to all the demand he got from over here, hence, "Captain America". No other character in Smash has this kind mostly-selective appeal, aside from Dark Samus and Chrom, but they're echo fighters who still had some vocal fans for them in both countries. Even while Simon was mostly appealing to western audiences, Richter was appealing to the Japanese audiences.

We do not have a new character that yet appeals to Japan specifically. Inklings, K. Rool, Isabelle, and even Incineroar both have global appeal. It doesn't tilt one way or the other. There's no character that would yet be fanservice mostly or specifically to the Japanese audiences in the way Ridley was mostly towards the west/US audience. Although Granblue itself isn't known, with rumours floating around of it getting an international/english release, it could become very known very quickly.
Metroid doesn't even sell that well in Japan anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom