• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I saw people bashing Kirby about an hour or so ago in this thread.

How dare they. How dare they slander my pink son. Look how upset you've made him:

And after he selflessly rescues your favorite Nintendo characters not once, but two times now...
And that's another thing. I feel like Kirby is always forced onto me. Like I have to accept Kirby. People accuse me of doing that with Yoshi (and yes, I was pretty bad with that the first months on here), but with Kirby it's like EVERYONE is trying to force him down my throat.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Oh my. This Pokémon stage, with no hazards, looks like it would be epic. Legal even.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Third Parties bring in hype and lots of money. Nothing more and nothing less. Who's going to drum up more hype? Bandana Waddle Dee, or Banjo & Kazooie?

We all know the answer.

Third parties being DLC also makes it easier to share profits between the companies involved, so it makes sense from a business standpoint as well.

Also, Nintendo doesn't really have any more essential first parties. All of the egregious exclusions were addressed in this game and then some. I would say that Dixie Kong, and maybe (it's a hard maybe) Bandana Waddle Dee are the only "Nintendo All-Stars" left, and even then they're not essential. If costumes can come back, then add Rex & Pyra, who are easily the most egregious exclusion this time.

If we're getting a first party DLC character, it's going to be Rex & Pyra. Mark my words.
  • Sora
  • Heihachi
  • Steve
  • Katalina
  • Rex & Pyra
This is less optimal, but still good.

Oh trust me, I get that. I just doubt that they'll go through the legal process and write up new contracts for another 5 characters. Especially when they could add first party characters that could still sell well, like Dee. That was mainly why for the second Nintendo rep I put Nintendo's three main series or Dixie, due to her being the last "Nintendo all-star" like you mentioned.

I certainly think it's possible that they do 5 third parties, and they'd definitely make a lot off of it depending on the selections. But I also think that it's likely they take the easy route and make one of their own characters that's decently popular a DLC character. Takes less legal effort/discussion and would still make them money.

I also don't think they're doing Rex and Pyra this window, or else Sakurai wouldn't have made such a big deal out of the mii costume and explaining the whole project plan thing.

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh yeah, Classic Mode is really good with how each match is specific for each character. For example, someone on 4chan pointed out that all of Ryu's classic mode matches are Stamina based, and that the first fight is with Ken.
I wonder how the Fire Emblem Characters battles are.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not in that post. In another? Point me to it. Let me at 'im!
"Fire Emblem characters are shallow, too. They speak, but they all sound like children in a play. "
Tell me if this sounds like a child's play.
Ike gods.jpg

IKE REALLY OUT HERE SMACK-TALKING A GOD.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
And that's another thing. I feel like Kirby is always forced onto me. Like I have to accept Kirby. People accuse me of doing that with Yoshi (and yes, I was pretty bad with that the first months on here), but with Kirby it's like EVERYONE is trying to force him down my throat.
Dude. Chill.

No one is forcing you to like Kirby. People here just really like Kirby.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
"Fire Emblem characters are shallow, too. They speak, but they all sound like children in a play. "
Tell me if this sounds like a child's play.
View attachment 175556

IKE REALLY OUT HERE SMACK-TALKING A GOD.
Yeah, I saw it. And how dare he.

Ike is such a ****ing bad ass I swear.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I saw people bashing Kirby about an hour or so ago in this thread.

How dare they. How dare they slander my pink son. Look how upset you've made him:

And after he selflessly rescues your favorite Nintendo characters not once, but two times now...
Look at this pink woundo boi

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Alright, let's see what we're discussing...

Folks talking about gameplay footage? Okay...

Cuteness, eh? My picks for cutest SSB characters are :ultisabelle::ultkirby::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultzelda:.

What else... what else... hmm...

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Agreed, take away Geno's chances in Smash. Lets just talk the chances for a new Super Mario RPG that is literally 0%. Why would they want to put a character in that neither company want to make another game for. It just does not make sense, if you strip away the nostalgia and fan demand. And look at the cold hard facts, it just does not make sense. Honestly I see them maybe pushing for an Octopath Traveler character instead as that is basically the new partnership game between the two companies. Like I said Geno may still have a chance and thats due to the fact of loyal fan demand and Sakurai likes him. Outside those factors he has nothing going for him, question is will those two factors alone be enough? We will have to wait and see.

Thanks I always try to be uplifting and reasonable. By the way if you haven't played Octopath Traveler I really recommend it.
It does not, I know. That's what I'm waiting, to see if Sakurai will serve his loyal fans (and partially his wish) or consider a costume is enough of a try.
I don't think they want to push for something that had its time since release.
I know the game is good, I just didn't have the time to try it. Maybe some time (I hope).
I am specifically Ken as you can tell ha. The reason they changed Vega, Balrog and M. Bison. Is because originally Balrog was Mike Bison referencing Mike Tyson. Mike Tyson got caught in a scandal so they changed the names around in the U.S., but kept them in Japan.
Oh, I didn't know about the scandal (or I think I forgot about it), was it the ear bite? Anyway, that make sense.. kinda (they still named a character after him though).

D

Deleted member

Still pretty depressed Sakurai did my dastardly duo Rex & Pyra dirty.

...Oh wait, Ness & Lucas got a new victory theme? And there's a Magicant remix?

DEPRESSION LIFTED.

HAPPY TOKE.png

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I just hopped on to comment on that. Definitely a great mix! The KDL1 staff roll has always been one of my favorites, and I'm happy that it's finally seeing some love between Star Allies and Ultimate.

This conversation was a bit awkward to walk into.
Oh! That took me a while to notice XD.. sorry to drag you into this.
Well, you're a hero. The 11th hero of Dragon Quest. May your journey be safe :)

Hey wait! You're my favorite newest Mega Man entry too. Oh you're so loveable XD

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm glad I missed it. Kirby's my favorite video game character of all time, and I've already had a pretty bad day, so the last thing I'd feel like seeing is people disrespecting my childhood hero.

D

Deleted member

Jokes aside, if EarthBound is getting THIS much love, it'll fill the hole in my Aegis-shaped heart for Rex. THE FACT THAT NESS AND LUCAS HAVE A NEW ****ING VICTORY THEME. YOU GUYS.

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

I mean, I'm VERY shocked a LOT of characters are getting new themes, but NESS AND LUCAS? About damn time us Mother fans get our due. God bless ya, Sakurai.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That airdodge out of Sheik's final smash was so ****ing sick, you could see Sakurai's big grin after that match was done.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Jokes aside, if EarthBound is getting THIS much love, it'll fill the hole in my Aegis-shaped heart for Rex. THE FACT THAT NESS AND LUCAS HAVE A NEW ****ING VICTORY THEME. YOU GUYS.

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

I mean, I'm VERY shocked a LOT of characters are getting new themes, but NESS AND LUCAS? About damn time us Mother fans get our due. God bless ya, Sakurai.
I missed the new theme, what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom