• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
A Question for you guys:

Do you think that a DLC for Steve and Sora (or other Square Enix rep)...

...would make the chances for Banjo and Geno get bigger?

Maybe 2 DLC for Microsoft and 2 DLC for Square Enix?
Last time SEGA and CAPCOM got two, while Bandai-Namco getting nothing and Square-Enix staying at one. So, no, it means mostly nothing.

At least misery has company.

:ultbowser::ultpiranha:

We saw her as a Spirit.

Besides, Bayo was decided without the ballot in mind.
Doesn't Mario has like twenty stages?

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Can I just say....

The Grinch leak was the worst thing to ever happen to the Smash fanbase.

Here's why...

It raised expectations waaaaaaaaay too high which soured what would have been a perfectly fine direct
It tore the fanbase apart. Team real and team fake were absolutely unbearable and I pray that we never get teams like that again
It created an influx of new users, many of whom were nice but most of them were ******** (and left as soon as it was wrong)

The whole thing was a **** show. I hope nothing like it happens again.
it will happen as long as we dont grow up as a community. we should not be glorifying people that seriously want to **** with people's feelings. i only need one april fool's day a year on the internet. i dont find intentionally manufactured fake leaks funny or entertaining i find them people desperate for fame and recognition. Whoever made it did real damage to people expectations. those expectations being shattered make people hate characters that got in instead.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I've been off for a few days due to Piranha Plant (who, I'm starting to warm up to a little bit due to the meme aspect of it). Did they say there's actually going to be more than just the current 5 DLC sets?
Did they say there was gonna be more than one season for Injustice 2, Tekken 7, Street Fighter 5, or any other fighting game that released years ago that has been sustained through these dlc plans?

D

Deleted member

it will happen as long as we dont grow up as a community. we should not be glorifying people that seriously want to **** with people's feelings. i only need one april fool's day a year on the internet. i dont find intentionally manufactured fake leaks funny or entertaining i find them people desperate for fame and recognition. Whoever made it did real damage to people expectations. those expectations being shattered make people hate characters that got in instead.

I learned to be open to literally everything with Metal Gear Solid 2 and Crash in Skylanders.

skullkidfordlc

Smash Rookie
I guess I'm still just confused by a lot of these choices made by Sakurai.

Why have LESS DLC on a much more successful console that will ensure that the game sells like hot cakes compared to Wii U and that will undoubtedly have at least double the life span as the last game.

Why introduce echoes and then leave out such an obvious, fan-demanded echo choice as Shadow?

Why not deconfirm all of the fan-demand assist trophies in the August Direct instead of last minute. Why did Isaac, Shadow, and Skull Kid fans have to endure that excruciating drought only to be massacred?

Why would they end base roster on Ken and Incineroar when there was an alternate timeline where they and Isabelle were introduced in August and Simon, Richter, Piranha Plant, and K Rool were saved for the final reveals?

Why can Zelda not get a new rep outside of the Triforce holders, even though it is Nintendo's second best known original franchise.

Why did Incineroar not at least get an Alolan stage to accompany him?

Why did they practically leak the final, disappointing roster themselves on a ****ing box months prior?

Why no demo testfire even though we know the full roster?

Also...

Why did the Grinch "leaker" have to break our hearts?

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I don't know man, I feel like Metroid isn't the type of movie that would work as live action. I think it's better as a high quality 3D animation. Trying to make it look "real" just makes it harder to do cool stuff.
A Metroid movie of any kind probably won't happen anyway, but out of the Nintendo properties that could work as a movie, I think Metroid is definitely one of them. Sure, it might not actually work if was actually made, but I think with the right budget and production, it could work. At least more so than I can see a live action movie based on say Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, etc. I do agree that animation typically lends itself better to video game adaptations though.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Points at Artsy Omni Artsy Omni

All in the same boat.

I get the hustle but that was so sour.

Sour because there was enough info to trick me.

Which in hindsight is dumb

Last edited:

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
Honestly, I'd say we're likely getting two Fighter Passes. Fighter Pass 1 is to test the waters, and people are going to swarm it like bees to honey.

Fighter Pass 1 is already decided, and here's who I'd say we're getting:
  • Sora
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Steve
  • Monster Hunter/Phoenix Wright
  • Joker
Maybe replace Joker or Monster Hunter/Phoenix Wright with Bandana Dee.

Fighter Pass 2 though, could see a lot more fan requested characters and promotional characters. I'd imagine something like:
  • Isaac
  • Tails
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Edelgard
Maybe replace one of these with Waluigi for the memes.
I'm really hoping for Monster Hunter, since we've got Rathalos as a boss. All the weapons and items from the series would make an awesome moveset. Definitely not just another swordfighter. That said, I'm just happy the world of Monster Hunter is represented, at least.

Phoenix would be a hell of a lot of fun, but if there could only be one more Capcom rep, I'd pick MonHun.

The rest is assuming DLC Pack 1 isn't all we're getting. (I wouldn't count on it, but it's not impossible.)

Tails is probably in my top 10, but I'm less confident of new Sonic reps considering we didn't even get Shadow as an echo, and we already have two Sonic stages in the game, so I'm not holding out hope.

Isaac... I'd like to say it's possible for the sake of his very dedicated fanbase, but I really don't think Assist promotions are likely. Maaaybe another protagonist from Golden Sun, though? And hopefully he'll have a Mii outfit, at least.

Edelgard looks interesting, but Corrin got a lot of backlash in Smash 4, so they might be more wary of FE characters now. I'm really glad we got two FE Assist Trophies, though.

D

Deleted member

Grinch Leak was absolutely necessary because it teaches us that we should not believe any leaks blindly. I had thought Rayman was the one to teach that, but apparently not. Too many inconsistencies on it that would have proved any other leak fake were simply brushed under the rug and ignored and I think we all know why.
Remember: believing a leak or not doesn't make it any more real or fake.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Spain demo coming in hot with balance changes for characters!

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ead_info_coming_in/?utm_source=reddit-android

They um...nerfed Luigi and Bowser JR hard :(

But Duck Hunt got huge buffs and game and watch got a reflector, at least?

Oh, apparently verge is talking about DLC and it's um...really bad, but no source on where he said it. But it's gaining traction.

Steve, Katalina, SE rep

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I feel like the Grinch leak was a good little lesson, to not set your expectations too high...
We kinda needed that tbh

osby

Smash Obsessed

Why have LESS DLC on a much more successful console that will ensure that the game sells like hot cakes compared to Wii U and that will undoubtedly have at least double the life span as the last game.

Why introduce echoes and then leave out such an obvious, fan-demanded echo choice as Shadow?

Why not deconfirm all of the fan-demand assist trophies in the August Direct instead of last minute. Why did Isaac, Shadow, and Skull Kid fans have to endure that excruciating drought only to be massacred?

Why would they end base roster on Ken and Incineroar when there was an alternate timeline where they and Isabelle were introduced in August and Simon, Richter, Piranha Plant, and K Rool were saved for the final reveals?

Why can Zelda not get a new rep outside of the Triforce holders, even though it is Nintendo's second best known original franchise.

Why did they practically leak the final, disappointing roster themselves on a ****ing box months prior?

Also...

• Because there is a limit on how many fighters after the release
  • Because he's a third party and SEGA might have said no
  • Because there's no way they could show everything in the first directs
  • Because last reveals don't need to be hype
  • Because Sakurai generally favors playable characters or side characters with multiple appearances. Not to mention Zelda fandom can't agree on who they want.
  • Because development cycle was pretty tight with all the returning stages
  • Because box didn't leaked anything, Vergeben did.
  • Because there might be stuff they want to keep hidden

I don't have an answer for the last one aside from you let it happen

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
A Question for you guys:

Do you think that a DLC for Steve and Sora (or other Square Enix rep)...

...would make the chances for Banjo and Geno get bigger?

Maybe 2 DLC for Microsoft and 2 DLC for Square Enix?
Sora DLC, for all intents and purposes, might as well kill Geno's chances. Hypothetically Geno's chances increase, as another bar to his entry is gone, but he's still got a long line to go through (Dragon Quest and Lara Croft), and Sakurai likely wouldn't go for two SE characters. Geno has likely already been denied at least once (if not twice or even three times), so his chances are already low.

Steve is a different case though, as I can imagine Microsoft being enthusiastic to work with Nintendo again. Sakurai would maybe go for Banjo as well due to his popularity, so I'd say its possible.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Also...

Woah buddy, calm down

Oddly enough, that's not the most ridiculous thing I've heard from the Smash fanbase.
There's being disappointed that Piranha Plant got in instead of someone else, but then there's acting like PP shot your dog and slept with your wife.

It always amazes me how petty some people can be.
Considering I was the only one in the pages these were posted that dared to critize some people's lord and savior PP, it doesn't take a genius to guess these were related to my thoughts on the direct. Not only do you insult me for daring to not like your character choices, but you can't even do it to my ****ing face. Talk about being both a total douchebag AND a weak, spineless coward. If this is what you say to anybody who dosen't like what you like, if I'm petty for that, then it's amazing how both being an asshole AND not being brave enough to speak directly to the person you're attacking ISN'T seen as petty.

But yeah, it does amaze me how petty people can be. It also amazes me how pathetic people can be. I can't even say anything negative about the game without douchebags hopping on my **** for not being part of the hivemind. Keep crying a river, *******.

(Also, why do you care how I spend my money? Why should I spend 60 dollars on something that will just leave me feeling disappointed when I play it?

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I always thought they would add Echoes as free DLC post launch. And Sakurai doesnt even talk about the possibility, I find it weird

D

Deleted member

Does anyone have footage of the Spain demo? I’m looking right now, but can’t find any.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I learned from the Grinch leak that I take no pleasure in being right.

Maybe a little pleasure in being vindicated from everyone who insulted me, but that has nothing to do with being right.

The last thing I wanted was strong backlash, and depending on where you were, it was either "meh" in certain circles to someone almost committing suicide because of how much they hyped the hoax.

Just keep a long memory.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Considering I was the only one in the pages these were posted that dared to critize some people's lord and savior PP, it doesn't take a genius to guess these were related to my thoughts on the direct. Not only do you insult me for daring to not like your character choices, but you can't even do it to my ****ing face. Talk about being both a total douchebag AND a weak, spineless coward. If this is what you say to anybody who dosen't like what you like, if I'm petty for that, then it's amazing how both being an ******* AND not being brave enough to speak directly to the person you're attacking ISN'T seen as petty.

But yeah, it does amaze me how petty people can be. It also amazes me how pathetic people can be. I can't even say anything negative about the game without douchebags hopping on my **** for not being part of the hivemind. Keep crying a river, *******.
This needs to be a copypasta.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I really don't want Steve. And this is coming from a guy who's starting to enjoy Minecraft again now that they're actually adding new mechanics and expanding on old ones.

Untouch

Smash Master
I learned from the Grinch leak that I take no pleasure in being right.

Maybe a little pleasure in being vindicated from everyone who insulted me, but that has nothing to do with being right.

The last thing I wanted was strong backlash, and depending on where you were, it was either "meh" in certain circles to someone almost committing suicide because of how much they hyped the hoax.

Just keep a long memory.
That's why I told people to keep their expectations low, I didn't want the bitterness in the thread right because I knew it was going to happen.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Oh, apparently verge is talking about DLC and it's um...really bad, but no source on where he said it. But it's gaining traction.

Steve, Katalina, SE rep
Forgive my ignorance.

The hell is Katalina?

D

Deleted member

Considering I was the only one in the pages these were posted that dared to critize some people's lord and savior PP, it doesn't take a genius to guess these were related to my thoughts on the direct. Not only do you insult me for daring to not like your character choices, but you can't even do it to my ****ing face. Talk about being both a total douchebag AND a weak, spineless coward. If this is what you say to anybody who dosen't like what you like, if I'm petty for that, then it's amazing how both being an ******* AND not being brave enough to speak directly to the person you're attacking ISN'T seen as petty.

That post wasn’t intended at you. It’s intended at the general pessimism some folks have right now.

I don’t care what you have to say about PP, because I couldn’t care less about PP.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I always thought they would add Echoes as free DLC post launch. And Sakurai doesnt even talk about the possibility, I find it weird
Echoes are easier than full-on newcomers. But they still cost money, time and manpower. Expecting them for free when Mii costumes aren't even free was never really a fair expectation.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Eh, I kinda predicted they weren't going to add a ton of them just because they can. Plus, they still need work, so dunno why they would make them free.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Forgive my ignorance.

The hell is Katalina?
https://gbf.wiki/Katalina

Note, it was just Verg commenting on Hitagi (a person who he's been in contact with and predicted the new Samurai Shodown game) and his Smash predictions from shortly after (Steve and Katalina). He himself hasn't heard about them from any of his sources; just saying that he wouldn't count Hitagi out because nothing he said contradicts what he knows.

EDIT: And link.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77160319/911662575

Last edited:
That post wasn’t intended at you. It’s intended at the general pessimism some folks have right now.

I don’t care what you have to say about PP, because I couldn’t care less about PP.
The post I quoted in question was in direct response to somebody else's post that was talking about my reaction to PP.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Spain demo coming in hot with balance changes for characters!

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ead_info_coming_in/?utm_source=reddit-android

They um...nerfed Luigi and Bowser JR hard :(

But Duck Hunt got huge buffs and game and watch got a reflector, at least?

Steve, Katalina, SE rep
I don't understand why people are saying that Steve, Katalina, and what is likely Sora is a bad DLC lineup. Like, you may not like it, but it's still good.
  • Sora is one of the most requested third party characters, and has a bevy of things to bring to the table. Kingdom Hearts is an iconic crossover series, and Sora is seen as an "impossible" character, further increasing hype. I've argued for him enough, so this is all I have to say.
  • Steve is from one of the most popular video games of all time, period. However you feel about him you can't deny that Minecraft is a cultural icon beloved by many. Minecraft, by its own merits, fits the criteria for a third party that has "worldwide popularity" according to Sakurai, and since Minecraft is the game that brought Nintendo and Microsoft together in the modern era, it's only fitting that he be in.
  • I can't argue as much for Katalina given as Granblue is currently a Japanese only IP. That being said, it does have a dedicated western fanbase. The inclusion makes sense given Nintendo and Cygame's current partnership on mobile titles, which facilitates negotiations a lot. She may only be moderately popular worldwide, but the ease of negotiation and possibility for worldwide expansion of Granblue (something Cygames seems to be trying to do, and which Nintendo would want for their partner) makes her a reasonable pick. I'd personally prefer Euden from Dragalia Lost, but to each their own I guess.
Is it what the core fanbase wants? No. But looking at the bigger picture I would say this is a solid lineup. And we've still got space for two more characters (likely a second Namco character and either a Capcom, Sega, or Nintendo rep).

But then again, I'm pre-purchasing the game and the fighters pack already, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom