• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Popularity should not be the deciding factor when selecting characters.

Smash is a ****ing popularity maker. It doesn't need to focus on being hip and cool because it's already hip and cool.
Let me rephrase that then:

Sakurai is a people pleaser. Despite what some will claim, it seems he genuinely cares about making people happy with the roster he creates, grabbing recognizable faces from their pasts, or recent newcomers from games they really loved. He's not going to look at a game and think "Oh, 'X' game sold 'Y' number of units, they have now met the requirements for being in Smash!", but if he sees that a game sold extremely well and that people really loved the characters in it (Inklings), he's probably more likely to pick a character from that game than one nobody has heard of.

Obviously it's not the only factor to a character's inclusion, they have to a unique design with moveset potential that speaks to Sakurai, etc. etc., but it IS a factor. Hence why most of the Pokemon are from the 1st generation, and why we had a ballot where they tried to figure out who the most popular character requests were.

I think the store is as excited for the game as we are.
To be fair that's a healthy set of characters advertised and if it came to that I'd be pleased.

What character/s, that others want as newcomers, do any of you just not understand what people see in?
Daisy.

Though if she gets in good for her fans! I see Waluigi as a far more viable alternative in terms of filling a similar role and there seems to be more scope for him to bring more to the Smash table.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While sales and popularity might not always be what makes or breaks a character's chances (for example, both of Ike's games flopped if I'm not mistaken, though Fire Emblem was a long-established IP at that point), some first party characters are just way too popular to not at least be considered, I feel.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Honset, the only big problem (right now) that i have with Sakurai deciding who chose get in is that a character not only has to be unique, but obviously unique.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Anybody got any ideas for atari represtation?

Assist trophy: E.T. , you can through it at somebody and it will make a little glicthy blur and K.O. them.

Troykv

Smash Master
I dont know, but Ike was a pretty highly liked character even before Brawl. even in the FEHBallot, it was PoR Ike who won instead of RD Ike who got 5th, even though Smash 4 was out for a while by then. Roy is kinda just the only person people see getting the Smash popularity.
The FEHBallot was post two Smash with Ike...

And the picture people have about Ike is the PoR version as you said....

You know, the one that appears in the best seller Smash Bros Brawl...

Also, the fact that BOTH versions are popular it helps to show how overwhelming is Ike's popularity.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a topic, what characters would require a moveset change in another character to be eligible.

Like how Palutena used to be part of Pit's Final Smash.

Let's see...
Default Toad: Peach's (near useless) Neutral special
Balloon Fighter: Villager's recovery
Chrom: Robin's final Smash

Any more I'm missing?

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
The FEHBallot was post two Smash with Ike...

And the picture people have about Ike is the PoR version as you said....

You know, the one that appears in the best seller Smash Bros Brawl...

Also, the fact that BOTH versions are popular it helps to show how overwhelming is Ike's popularity.
I get that, but Ike's games are really popular in the FE community. when without Smash, a lot of people regard him has the best lord of Fire Emblem. though i guess me only talking about the FE Community is where are opinions are splitting.

D

Deleted member

Here's a topic, what characters would require a moveset change in another character to be eligible.

Let's see...

Any more I'm missing?
Tom Nook: Villager's Final Smash
Dunban (and Riki if his Assist Trophy is also removed): Shulk's Final Smash
X, MegaMan Volnutt, MegaMan.EXE, Star Force Mega Man: Mega Man's Final Smash

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
It didn't really help anyone outside of Roy. Characters in Smash has their own popularity in and outside Smash. Falcon from Smash and Falcon for F-Zero may as well be different characters. Which makes me think, show Falcon get a moveset revamp?
Overall I’d say it did. He’s an extremely popular and well known character now. Series wise though yeah, I agree. Ness had some benefits too. Him being in Smash revived interest in his series. His game was one of the top games sold on the VC and is a cult classic at this point. No denying Roy definitely gained a lot from his inclusion too.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650

Let's see...

Any more I'm missing?
Doc Louis, Shadow Mario, Dunban and Riki, Beast Ganon...

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Wario boys assemble!
I'd be so down for another Wario Land game. I actually haven't played Wario Land since Wario Land 4, but that game gave me life. It was such a fun game. :4wario2::4wario2::4wario2:

Doc Louis, Shadow Mario, Dunban and Riki, Beast Ganon...
I would say that Beast Ganon wouldn't necessarily cause a change to be necessary. The Beast Ganon people typically want is the bipedal Pig Ganon from classic Zelda, and the Beast Ganon in the game is a different incarnation, being the Twilight Princess runs-on-all-fours Ganon.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'd be so down for another Wario Land game. I actually haven't played Wario Land since Wario Land 4, but that game gave me life. It was such a fun game. :4wario2::4wario2::4wario2:

WAH

First played that when it was given to me through the Ambassador program on 3DS its so good.

Shake it was pretty good, and Captain Syrup is bae!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
:4mario: Waluigi
:4dk: King K. Rool
:4link: Not sure
:4samus: Ridley
:4yoshi: Kamek or Birdo
:4kirby: Bandana Dee
:4fox: Krystal
:4pikachu: Gen 7 Pokemon
:4falcon: Black Shadow
:4ness: Masked Man or Ninten
:4marth: Anyone is fine
:4pit: Medusa
:4wario: Ashley or someone else
:4olimar: None
:4villager: Isabelle
:4littlemac: King Hippo
:4shulk: Rex (though I could do without)
:4gaw: Takamaru

New IP: Spring Man from ARMS

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I feel like the only way they'd top Cloud in the "WTF" factor they'd have to use someone like Kratos to outdo him.
To me, Bayonetta was the top WTF because I didn't think she even deserved it then. Now I believe she earned her spot, but 3rd Parties are always the least safest after the clones.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I was thinking about it, and Kirby could totally have more than one new character this game. Whether that be Marx, Dark Matter, Rick or even Gooey, there's a lot of choices after Bandana Waddle Dee.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I was thinking about it, and Kirby could totally have more than one new character this game. Whether that be Marx, Dark Matter, Rick or even Gooey, there's a lot of choices after Bandana Waddle Dee.
Calm down my dude, you don't want to bring the "Sakurai Kirby bias" army back from the brawl days.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Calm down my dude, you don't want to bring the "Sakurai Kirby bias" army back from the brawl days.
I'm mostly just saying that while the idea is unlikely, it's def not unrealistic. Especially now.

(Also, I wasn't a part of the speculative community back before brawl, so I don't really remember this "army" you speak of)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm mostly just saying that while the idea is unlikely, it's def not unrealistic. Especially now.

(Also, I wasn't a part of the speculative community back before brawl, so I don't really remember this "army" you speak of)
Oh, I know, don't worry, but to basically explain it to you, it wasn't during the speculation,but rather once the game was out, Kirby got two newcomers, stickers, trophies, stages and overall representation, especially with the Subspace Story where they where very important-

Once the game went out, people started to call out Sakurai for his Kirby Bias, the same way people called for Kid Icarus Bias for Smash 4 and FE bias in general.
Basically, the Smash characters community at it's best.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

"2 KIRBEH NUUCOMMERZ, OUTRAGEOUS SAMURAI BIAZ!!!!111!!!"

Or something like that. Pretty ridiculous when Kirby had no newcomers in Melee and the ones in Brawl were the other two essential Kirby characters.

Also some people seem to think Sakurai intentionally made Meta Knight broken.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Agreed. I think this time we could get 2 characters, and I know the two best candidate!

One of them are a recurring character that everybody loves. He is known to be very important in the series, and that is, of course, everybodys favourite; Whispy Woods.

Now that the most important ones are out of the picture, the second one could easily be a character that has a lot of personality, seems like a wacky choice, but a lot of people like him, or should I say them? Yes, it's a combination duo, which are; Mr. Shine & Mr. Bright.

<3

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm not even trying to say I think Corrin will be cut.

I'm saying, hypothetically, if Sakurai listened to those people and cut a character based on those complaints, Corrin would be likelier to go than Shulk or Cloud, because Corrin was the source of the grand majority of the people's complaints.

For the record, I view Corrin as being fairly safe (my opinion is that the likeliest FE character to be cut is Roy). I don't think Fire Emblem Switch was far enough along in development at the time Smash 4's roster was decided for them to pull a Melee Roy with FE Switch's protagonist and put him/her in Smash 5. As the most recent original FE protagonist, I don't think Corrin's a very likely cut.

If anyone's interested in seeing my actual stance on what characters are likely to be cut, click on the "2" in my sig. I have a full list detailing my opinion on the matter.
Come to think of it now I sort of think cutting out Corrin might still happen without those complaints... because if you cut characters like Cloud and Shulk, you are actually cutting out the series as a whole... which will lose those serie's fans. as for cutting out Corrin it wouldn't be that to much big of deal because they were sort of just included as a promotion for Fates, and since there's a new FE coming I think they might be a replacement for them.

And oh boy, when it comes to those complaints unless it is legit, it's better to ignore them... and not only Corrin I mean we have people complaining things that we aren't even sure such as Rex and Pyra in Smash, people already complaining about that... which sadly there's a lot of users here in this thread being ultra bias, which is sad.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Agreed. I think this time we could get 2 characters, and I know the two best candidate!

One of them are a recurring character that everybody loves. He is known to be very important in the series, and that is, of course, everybodys favourite; Whispy Woods.

<3
I can already see it...
Pic of the Day number XXX
When Whispy Woods fight, Alfonzo take his place blowing air in The Dreams Land 64 Stage
Alfonzo: Leave it to Me!

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Come to think of it now I sort of think cutting out Corrin might still happen without those complaints... because if you cut characters like Cloud and Shulk, you are actually cutting out the series as a whole... which will lose those serie's fans. as for cutting out Corrin it wouldn't be that to much big of deal because they were sort of just included as a promotion for Fates, and since there's a new FE coming I think they might be a replacement for them.

And oh boy, when it comes to those complaints unless it is legit, it's better to ignore them... and not only Corrin I mean we have people complaining things that we aren't even sure such as Rex and Pyra in Smash, people already complaining about that... which sadly there's a lot of users here in this thread being ultra bias, which is sad.
I think there will be a FE cut. I just don't think it's going to be Corrin.

I don't think the FE Switch protagonist is a possibility in spite of the whole Roy-in-Melee thing, and the only other recent main series FE game was a remake.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Oh, I know, don't worry, but to basically explain it to you, it wasn't during the speculation,but rather once the game was out, Kirby got two newcomers, stickers, trophies, stages and overall representation, especially with the Subspace Story where they where very important-

Once the game went out, people started to call out Sakurai for his Kirby Bias, the same way people called for Kid Icarus Bias for Smash 4 and FE bias in general.
Basically, the Smash characters community at it's best.
"2 KIRBEH NUUCOMMERZ, OUTRAGEOUS SAMURAI BIAZ!!!!111!!!"

Or something like that. Pretty ridiculous when Kirby had no newcomers in Melee and the ones in Brawl were the other two essential Kirby characters.

Also some people seem to think Sakurai intentionally made Meta Knight broken.
Sounds incredibly unreasonable.

Makes sense.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
When I see Kirby newcomer conversation, and I see Whispy Woods mentioned...I scratch my beard in consternation. Having played Kirby games and having fought Whispy Woods...uh...

How in the world do people figure a giant, stationary tree would be a good choice?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
:4mario: - Captain Toad
:4yoshi: - Poochy
:4wario: - Waluigi if you want to count him, Mona if you don't
:4dk: - Dixie Kong
:4link: - Daruk
:4samus: - Sylux
:4kirby: - Bandana Waddle Dee
:4fox: - Slippy Toad
:4pikachu: - Decidueye
:4ness: - Porky
:4falcon: - Samurai Goroh
:4marth: - Chrom, but if he's deemed too unlikely, then Celica
:4olimar: - Alph (always felt bad he didn't get the Doc/Lucina/Dark Pit treatment)
:4pit: - Viridi
:4villager: - Isabelle
:4littlemac: - King Hippo
:4shulk: - Tora and Poppi (not big on Rex and Pyra lol)
:4rob: - Muddy Mole
Splatoon - Callie and Marie
Meh meh meh, Tora and Poppi might just be assist trophies if I do say so myself.
I mean, you do seems to have a bit of grudge on Rex in Smash so...

Morag and Brighid in Smash please....

Xenoblade: Pyra by herself, I can't stand Rex at all- Sorry buddy but you're my Top 1 worst JRPG protagonist and design ever

And bonus choice...
If you know how Blade even works, that's not gonna happen my boy lol.

Sorry everyone, but I think another Xenoblade rep is hands down Rex+Pyra and two more rare Blades.
My choice for Xenoblade rep if not Rex though, is first Morag+Brighid and other rare Blades, then Nia +Dromarch and other rare Blades, and then it's Zeke +Pandoria and other rare Blades.

I also think that Malos or Jin might have chance too, but they mostly just be assist trophies I guess...

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
When I see Kirby newcomer conversation, and I see Whispy Woods mentioned...I scratch my beard in consternation. Having played Kirby games and having fought Whispy Woods...uh...

How in the world do people figure a giant, stationary tree would be a good choice?
Hey, man, he jumps to the middle of the screen in Star Allies. Whispy is perfectly reasonable :psycho:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If you know how Blade even works, that's not gonna happen my boy lol.

Sorry everyone, but I think another Xenoblade rep is hands down Rex+Pyra and two more rare Blades.
My choice for Xenoblade rep if not Rex though, is first Morag+Brighid and other rare Blades, then Nia +Dromarch and other rare Blades, and then it's Zeke +Pandoria and other rare Blades.

I also think that Malos or Jin might have chance too, but they mostly just be assist trophies I guess...
I know how blades works...Lemme....dream....To not have this little...frustrating....
Insert tons of rant about how Rex is the worst protagonist ever compared to Shulk in both personality AND ESPECIALLY design
A man can dream-....A man can dream...

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Do you guys think we’ll get newcomer reveals at E3? If so, how many, and who?

I think 3 is a safe bet. They did Mega Man, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer one year, and then PacMan, Palutena (and technically, Dark Pit), and Mii Fighters the next year.

I think we’ll get an ARMS character, the Fire Emblem Switch Lord (if that game is revealed at E3, which I think it will.), and I don’t know who else. Maybe if they talk about Metroid Prime 4 and Sylux is the main antagonist, maybe him. Or, if a New Animal Crossing, Isabelle. It’ll probably be a third party though, but the only one I could think is the Hero from Dragon Quest. I’ve discussed my thoughts on Crash beforehand. Best of luck to his supporters, but I think others will get in before him.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

He does have roots that allow him to move around in Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I know how blades works...Lemme....dream....To not have this little...frustrating....
Insert tons of rant about how Rex is the worst protagonist ever compared to Shulk in both personality AND ESPECIALLY design
A man can dream-....A man can dream...
Shulk was too good to us. I don't think any RPG protag will ever top him for me personally. His character development and voice acting, as well as physical design, were just so good.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Shulk was too good to us. I don't think any RPG protag will ever top him for me personally. His character development and voice acting, as well as physical design were just so good.
This... I'm willing to sacrefice a Xenoblade 2 rep if we keep Shulk or the Xenoblade things as it is with perhaps a stages, trophies and things for Xenoblade 2 and X
That's how much of a letdown and failure Rex is in my eyes when I played Xenoblade 2.

Personal blog here, but I literally stopped playing Xenoblade 2 for a months because of his personality and the FULL POWER ROMCOM ANIME POWER that Rex was... When I remember drowning with the first Xenoblade and not sleeping at night during vacation to play it-

Anyway, as much as I can complain...Rex will probably end up being the Rep with Pyra...

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
This... I'm willing to sacrefice a Xenoblade 2 rep if we keep Shulk or the Xenoblade things as it is with perhaps a stages, trophies and things for Xenoblade 2 and X
That's how much of a letdown and failure Rex is in my eyes when I played Xenoblade 2.

Personal blog here, but I literally stopped playing Xenoblade 2 for a months because of his personality and the FULL POWER ROMCOM ANIME POWER that Rex was... When I remember drowning with the first Xenoblade and not sleeping at night during vacation to play it-

Anyway, as much as I can complain...Rex will probably end up being the Rep with Pyra...
I don't see why we'd lose Shulk in favor of Rex & Pyra. If anything, we'd get both. They both operate differently from one another and can coexist just fine. Personally I still liked what I've watched of Xenoblade 2, which is most of the game, just not as much as I liked Xenoblade 1. My only real gripe with Xenoblade 2 is Rex's english VA not being terribly convincing, but I'm not asking for something even relatively close to Shulk's VA because that was just next level. I get not liking all the waifu blades and thinking they're overly fanservice-y, but I don't think they necessarily take away from the great plot the game still had.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Wow. People sure like to talk about cuts on this thread. For five days in a row no less. I mean I'm a cynical man, but jeez. This is what people WANT to talk about??? We have literally zero information about this game.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I cannot possibly see us getting any Kirby newcomer any time soon that isn't named "Bandana Waddle Dee".

I probably wouldn't complain if we eventually got Galacta Knight or Marx, though.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Get ready, cuz that probably triggered an army of geeks to let you know that "ACTUALLY! There are several games where Whispy Woods can uproot himself! Like in Kirby: Planet Robobot!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom