• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy that Viridi is getting mentions in this lol.

Before Smash release, every single result would be Medusa or Hades (I would have agreed back then). Now Viridi is getting mentions, as minor as they are. Baby steps.

:186:

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh~ Some fun discussion! Let's do the first Newcomers Things-

Fire Emblem: Micaiah because a full Mage characters could be extremely cool Or...
Chrom, yes, Chrom, I can't believe best Lord ain't here yet- As a joke or not, his characters is so loveable and Warrior/Heroes just make it even better- Even as a semi clone I take it- Even as a Costume- And he ALMOST made it before Robin took over...
Come on! Today will be his day- Hopefully!
Hello! Full mages are indeed very fun and cool, I ended up developing a love for mage-like character in pretty much any game that I play; with Micaiah been the one above everyone else.

Also, Chrom appearing as an alt for a semi-cloned Lucina would be nice :D

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm happy that Viridi is getting mentions in this lol.

Before Smash release, every single result would be Medusa or Hades (I would have agreed back then). Now Viridi is getting mentions, as minor as they are. Baby steps.

:186:
I put Medusa on my list, but I do like Viridi a lot. I just want more villains in Smash. So while she was overlooked on my list, she was not overlooked in my heart <3

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

Chron

Smash Journeyman
So...

I'm working on a little game called Fire Emblem Fighter(working title) and it's gonna be similar to Smash along with some FE additions(Seals, equip weapons, etc.) This is still in the VERY early stages, so don't expect it TOO soon, but it's coming. It will be in one of two possible languages. The first is an extremely simple one called Scratch, but it has Cloud Variables, which will make an online mode a possibility. The other, would likely be Python or C++ if there are frame rate-issues.

There is a survey for characters and movesets which can be found HERE or in my signature.

Also, it will be using the FEH "chibi" models for characters, and the same animation style as FEH. This means clones will take significantly less work than new characters, and alts will take much less than clones.

In case you aren't aware, FEH assembles and moves each part of the character separately. This means I can create pretty much any animation I need.

Last edited:
Pretty similar to mine, but of course I have issues.
  • Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina are missing, that's the biggest sin of this roster in my book. And I already know what your reasoning is. I'm not going to adress the cuts because just the fact that you are assuming cuts this early is just a big no no.
  • Urbosa makes no sense. Why would you pick a random champion? Adding a character just because they are from the newest Zelda game is a bad idea, but why such a specific decision? It would make more sense to give the power of the champions to Zelda. Much how she received the power of the Goddesses in Melee.
  • Gen 8 is unlikely, but it's no biggy. I just doubt there's gonna be a gen 8 pokemon if this game started development in 2016. Three years earlier than Pokemon 8. If that game is even coming out in 2019.
  • I would expect Dixie before King K. Rool, but King K. Rool is a requested character, so that may very well happen after the ballot.
  • Sylux would be awesome, but even if he's the main villain of MP4, I doubt it will make a difference. But, I would love to see him playable.
  • Muddy Mole. I'm not even gonna bother having to explain that one, but it's a "neat" addition I guess.
  • I don't think there's gonna be other WarioWare characters, but what to I know? People really like Ashley.
  • I think Ribbon Girl would appear as a clone and not a costume, given her necessary differences from Spring Man
Other than that stuff, this is pretty similar to mine.
1. The only cuts I assume are the three characters that were intended to be alt characters, of which they are still in this roster as that for Marth, Mario, and Pit.

2. I mentioned Urbosa but it could be any of the champions really. Urbosa is just a personal pick to fill the slot for now but it could one of the other three. One of the Champions seems like the choice for a Zelda newcomer if it happens.

3. Just feel Gen 8 has a possibility. If not it is likely a Gen 7 like Decidueye. But Sakurai would likely be contacting these other Nintendo teams. He probably knows all the behind the scenes in order to choose certain characters.

4. If Donkey Kong got another rep it is either K. Rool, Dixie, or possibly even Cranky at this point. I don't really care but K. Rool probably deserves it the most but his inconsistent appearances are severely hurting him I think.

5. I picked Sylux on the basis of possibly being in Metroid Prime 4. If that doesn't happen he is out.

6. Muddy Mole was me trying to pick an out there and interesting retro choice. One also from the Gameboy which hasn't been repped in terms of classics as they have mostly all been NES based or an accessory.

7. I would love Wario to have someone like Ashley, Mona, or Captain Syrup. But both WarioWare and Wario Land have been use so infrequently lately that the chances are slim.

8. Yeah, Ribbon Girl is a bit different than Spring Man but I doubt ARMS will get two reps from the get go. So I could see them finding a balance between their fighting styles and making them share a spot because they are the more basic of the ARMS bunch.

Thanks for your input.

Troykv

Smash Master
So...

I'm working on a little game called Fire Emblem Fighter(working title) and it's gonna be similar to Smash along with some FE additions(Seals, equip weapons, etc.) This is still in the VERY early stages, so don't expect it TOO soon, but it's coming. It will be in one of two possible languages. The first is an extremely simple one called Scratch, but it has Cloud Variables, which will make an online mode a possibility. The other, would likely be Python or C++ if there are frame rate-issues.

There is a survey for characters and movesets which can be found HERE or in my signature.

Also, it will be using the FEH "chibi" models for characters, and the same animation style as FEH. This means clones will take significantly less work than new characters, and alts will take much less than clones.
That sounds interesting, I will try to think some moves that would be viable considering the art-style.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Ridley has always been the greatest question of Smashboards. I do not understand why people enjoy a giant purple space dragon. What are they, three? Please explain why he would be fun if all Ridley, who is much too big to even fit on a platform, would do is just punch and kick... It makes no sense.

I would much rather have Rex and Pyra. An anime swordsman is a breath of fresh air, he could play like Shulk, but Pyra would be there for some reason. Imagine all of the diversity. I could even see a counter for down-special as those are fairly rare and we need more, especially on swordsmen who have no other tools.

In all seriousness, and this is going to sound weird, I have no idea what people see in Bandana Dee. Why is that weird? Because I used to. I wanted him before and one day, I just woke up and was like, wait, why? He is just a generic Waddle Dee with a spear. I have no idea what I thought he would do. I, clearly, cannot trust myself.
I can understand why people want Ridley, but I don't see the need for him.

Indie characters; Shantae, Shovel Knight, Sans, etc.
Characters that never appeared on a Nintendo console; Master Chief, etc.
Non-Video Game characters; Goku, Shrek, Spongebob, etc. (Don't give a s-hit if their memes or not, some are serious)
And; Skyrim character, Doomguy, Dark Souls character and Minecraft Steve.
Non-video game originated characters are completely understood. Same goes with Indie characters.

Now, for the characters I don't understand. Morbi is going to kill me XD. I don't understand Waluigi, Daisy, Captain Toad, and King K. Rool.

And that is the reason I think it's possible; Sakurai has access to stuff prior annoucement; but I don't consider it like an true shoo-in unlike the Inkling with 100% probabilities to appear in the next game.
I wouldn't say 100% but certainly around 90-95% given the push from the series and that FE16 is the most probable place to pull Fire Emblem newcomers from outside of Echoes.

I see a Roy and Lucario situation here.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
That sounds interesting, I will try to think some moves that would be viable considering the art-style.
In case you aren't aware, FEH assembles and moves each part of the character separately. This means I can create pretty much any animation I need.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The only cuts I assume are the three characters that were intended to be alt characters, of which they are still in this roster as that for Marth, Mario, and Pit.
I'm so sick of hearing this. It's been explained to death why this proposal is so stupid.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

Non-video game originated characters are completely understood. Same goes with Indie characters.

Now, for the characters I don't understand. Morbi is going to kill me XD. I don't understand Waluigi, Daisy, Captain Toad, and King K. Rool.

Daisy? ... You know, people like Luigi, right? Daisy is Peach's Luigi. Of course some would want the second best. For some, the second best is the very best, really.

Waluigi? ... It's like the console wars, or any other two epic teams. Mario & Luigi vs Wario and ... ? Waluigi fits that bill. Also, if you like the Mario Spin-off games, this would be a great choice to represent this.

Captain Toad? ... It's the first prominant variation of Toad, which actually recieved it's own game, which is ported over to the newest console. So, if Toad seems bland, why not give him more personality with Captain Toad?

King K. Rool? ... The age old story about the hero, and the villain. Mario needs his Bowser. Link his Ganondorf. And Donkey Kong his King K. Rool.

^ I mean, if you understand Ridley, these should not be as hard to understand either.

Morbi

Scavenger

Nah, I do not understand Captain Toad either. :awesome:

In all seriousness, I am genuinely surprised that people also want Waluigi and Daisy. Boggles my mind. I thought I was special. :sadeyes:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Daisy? ... You know, people like Luigi, right? Daisy is Peach's Luigi. Of course some would want the second best. For some, the second best is the very best, really.

Waluigi? ... It's like the console wars, or any other two epic teams. Mario & Luigi vs Wario and ... ? Waluigi fits that bill. Also, if you like the Mario Spin-off games, this would be a great choice to represent this.

Captain Toad? ... It's the first prominant variation of Toad, which actually recieved it's own game, which is ported over to the newest console. So, if Toad seems bland, why not give him more personality with Captain Toad?

King K. Rool? ... The age old story about the hero, and the villain. Mario needs his Bowser. Link his Ganondorf. And Donkey Kong his King K. Rool.

^ I mean, if you understand Ridley, these should not be as hard to understand either.
Those are all understandable reasons why people such as myself want those characters. But, I don't think they are understandable reasons why they should be playable.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That's the same as not seeing any potential in Bowser. At least that's how obvious it is to me lol.
I guess, the difference being that and potential about being PLAYABLE. Bowser is kinda the "VideoGame Baddy" alongside DR.Eggman, while ergh... K.Rool always gave me this weird vibe...

I though Donkey Kong had his Mario :^)
Okay it was trolling sorry

And yes, I can see why people want them, sometime, but sometimes I don't- But, I don't think they are understandable reasons why they should be playable. Because if that's the case, let's just bring vilain from all series for the heck of it-

Edit: Funnny thing, the person right on top of me had the same reasoning Lmao

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I wonder how old the people are that say "I don't understand why people want King K Rool"... (Not an insult). But I think most of these people didn't play the original game and/or watch the animated series. He was a fun villain back in the good old days! We want him mostly for nostaglia. I DO agree that there isn't really a huge reason to add him, as he's completely irrelevant, and I don't think he has the same "retro appeal" as other past additions, and I'm about 99% certain he'll never be added.

Morbi

Scavenger
I guess, the difference being that and potential about being PLAYABLE. Bowser is kinda the "VideoGame Baddy" alongside DR.Eggman, while ergh... K.Rool always gave me this weird vibe...

I though Donkey Kong had his Mario :^)
Okay it was trolling sorry

And yes, I can see why people want them, sometime, but sometimes I don't- But, I don't think they are understandable reasons why they should be playable. Because if that's the case, let's just bring vilain from all series for the heck of it-

Edit: Funnny thing, the person right on top of me had the same reasoning Lmao
I would genuinely love if they brought all of the villains from each Smash series for the hell of it. To me, the antagonist is more or less the second most important role and we see a lot of all-stars neglected because of this weird obsession with side characters.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I wonder how old the people are that say "I don't understand why people want King K Rool"... (Not an insult). But I think most of these people didn't play the original game and/or watch the animated series. He was a fun villain back in the good old days! We want him mostly for nostaglia. I DO agree that there isn't really a huge reason to add him, as he's completely irrelevant, and I don't think he has the same "retro appeal" as other past additions, and I'm about 99% certain he'll never be added.
I'm 20, played the original Games and literally grew up with the cartoon, in france we had that things on the channel called "France 2" which is basically the second national channel who had a LITERAL show about Donkey Kong Who basically was our Host for the mornings Cartoons called "La planete de Donkey Kong"
https://www.mariowiki.com/La_planète_de_Donkey_Kong
So trust me buddy, I have a nostalgia factor on K.Rool...
Yet, I still can't see anything in him to have him playable beside Nostalgia value, if a DK rep is needed, I would rather get Dixie-

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm 20, played the original Games and literally grew up with the cartoon, in france we had that things on the channel called "France 2" which is basically the second national channel who had a LITERAL show about Donkey Kong Who basically was our Host for the mornings Cartoons called "La planete de Donkey Kong"
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Planète_de_Donkey_Kong
So trust me buddy, I have a nostalgia factor on K.Rool...
Yet, I still can't see anything in him to have him playable beside Nostalgia value, if a DK rep is needed, I would rather get Dixie-
Most of the people I read cite his nearly limitless move-set potential as all of the current heavy-weights are basically. "Ooh, me big and fat. Me charge up physical Smash attack." And to that end, some diversity out of the heavy-weights would be welcome from a game-play perspective. They could make him more of a zoner.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
^
This. Yes, nostalgia is one of them. Donkey Kong Country on the classic Gameboy Colour was my first introduction to him. I got more fascinated by the concept, and appreciate every appearence he had, and being such an iconic, nostalgic character with full of potential gimmick's, move-set ideas, and the fact that he is considered the biggest, and most recognizable villain to one of Nintendo's best selling series of all time. I think that really makes him viable for a roster spot

It is true, that he has not appeared much physically in recent years, but that has not stopped other characters. Also, he is very much requested, and thank god for the ballot, which gave us a Mii Costume in Smash 4. This made us get even more hope.

Honestly. I think we should have King K. Rool, because of his importance, nostalgia and the big potential he got when it comes to moveset, which would make him unique for the roster itself.

Good enough reason?

Morbi

Scavenger

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What is it with video game villains always being the best cartoon characters? King K. Rool, Dr. Ivo Robotnick, King Dedede, Mother Brain. These are some of my favorite cartoon characters of all time!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Such a breaking development! :troll:

In all seriousness, just the fact that he blatantly gives away that he is under NDA is reason enough for me to continue with the super obvious prediction that yes, Arms is coming to Smash.
I'm 100% certain that by "I can't really say" he meant "I'm not the one in charge of that so you shouldn't be asking me". That being said, this ain't a fat lady singing

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here's a fun exercise: For each of the main Nintendo universes in the game, pick a newcomer. Returning veterans don't count, I want someone that's a brand new playable character from each series. Keep it semi-likely, meaning dream picks are allowed, but they should have SOME chance, however small, of making it in.
:4mario: Captain Toad
:4dk: Dixie Kong
:4link: Tingle
:4samus: Fusion Suit Samus
:4yoshi: Yarn Yoshi
:4kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
:4fox: Krystal
:4pikachu: Meowth
:4falcon: Samurai Goroh
:4ness: Porky
:4marth: Lyn
:4pit: Medusa
:4wario: Overalls Wario (Wario Land series)
:4olimar: Alph
:4villager: Tom Nook
:4littlemac: King Hippo
:4mii::4miif: Wandering Heroes (StreetPass Mii Plaza)
:4shulk: Rex
:popo::4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt: Track Meet (World Class Track Meet)

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

It's no disrespect to the people who want these characters, I just don't see the need for them, personally. Ridley is a reoccuring villain, and Samus arch nemesis. I don't think he'll be in the game either, but I can understand why people want him. Yes, I know who Waluigi and Daisy are. I played the games they were introduced in. To me, Waluigi and Daisy I just see as spin-off characters that don't really offer anything new. Captain Toad, honestly, is the most reasonable choice after Paper Mario, but until Paper Mario gets in, I don't see Captain Toad getting in. I may be wrong though. So far as I know, King K. Rool's popularity to be added to the roster didn't boom until the time of the Ballot. Yes, he's a villain, and that'd add villain representation, but he hasn't appeared in Donkey Kong in years. However, he did get a Mii Costume, so there's that.

I just don't understand the hype around them, but go off I guess. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm sure there's some characters I want, that people don't understand why. That's okay.

Those are all understandable reasons why people such as myself want those characters. But, I don't think they are understandable reasons why they should be playable.
That's very well put. I like that. I was honestly just wondering what characters some people don't see the hype in. Everyone has their choices. :)

kylexv

Smash Master
:4mario: Waluigi
:4dk: King K. Rool
:4yoshi: Kamek
:4link: Skull Kid
:4samus: Ridley
:4kirby: Marx
:4fox: Krystal
:4pikachu: Marshadow
:4falcon: Samurai Goroh
:4ness: Porky
:4marth: Celica
:4pit: Hades
:4olimar: Louie
:4villager: Tom Nook
:4rob: Takamaru

You can tell what type of character I feel Smash is lacking...

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Characters I don't understand?

Dixie. I'm sure you could differentiat her moveset-wise, but she's just Diddy with a pony-tail in my books, and I see no reason to add another plain monkey when the series has more interesting options.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I just don't understand the hype around them, but go off I guess. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm sure there's some characters I want, that people don't understand why. That's okay.
No offend taken. I just thought I'd try and see why they would be valued by others. I'm not saying even I want all of them, but at least I could see why some would want them, and that's all I tried to point out. No worries bro.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this is the place to post your roster speculation, but here's mine (better known as the list of why people would hate me if I was the director of this game)...

A few notes:
  • New characters are in red
  • BotW Link & Zelda
  • New Zelda character is one of the Champion's (honestly don't care which one since particularly care for any of them).
  • Ganondorf would get a re-worked move-set
  • Mario would have Cappy
  • Samus would have a re-worked move-set
  • Falco would have a re-worked move-set
  • I should note that I have 0 problems with everyone coming back, and them just adding on
  • Rayman & Crash just seem likely as third-parties
  • Lara & Sub are just pipe dreams, but I think it'd be a huge surprise if they got in

Attachments

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Such a breaking development! :troll:

In all seriousness, just the fact that he blatantly gives away that he is under NDA is reason enough for me to continue with the super obvious prediction that yes, Arms is coming to Smash.
In addition I guess Twintelle is their "special girl" seeing as how she was such a process to make. Very interesting, she's my main (kind of ) so its cool that so much thought was put into her.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
^
This. Yes, nostalgia is one of them. Donkey Kong Country on the classic Gameboy Colour was my first introduction to him. I got more fascinated by the concept, and appreciate every appearence he had, and being such an iconic, nostalgic character with full of potential gimmick's, move-set ideas, and the fact that he is considered the biggest, and most recognizable villain to one of Nintendo's best selling series of all time. I think that really makes him viable for a roster spot

It is true, that he has not appeared much physically in recent years, but that has not stopped other characters. Also, he is very much requested, and thank god for the ballot, which gave us a Mii Costume in Smash 4. This made us get even more hope.

Honestly. I think we should have King K. Rool, because of his importance, nostalgia and the big potential he got when it comes to moveset, which would make him unique for the roster itself.

Good enough reason?
I remember the Donkey Kong cartoon. It was great. I loved it. I'm 26 years old, by the way. King K. Rool is a very nostalgic character for many, but when I don't think he fits that retro category. He is highly requested, and he did get a Mii costume. He may get added to the roster. I wouldn't be mad at it. I just don't understand the massive amount of hype around him. Like, if he became a newcomer I'd just be like "Oh. Cool.", while other people would be elated.

What is it with video game villains always being the best cartoon characters? King K. Rool, Dr. Ivo Robotnick, King Dedede, Mother Brain. These are some of my favorite cartoon characters of all time!
King Dedede in Kirby Right Back At Ya! is the best.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I saw this on gamefaqs XD.

Someone's going to be fired for this.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
User was warned for this post
So I saw this on gamefaqs XD.

Someone's going to be fired for this.
That's some big pile of bushi right there.
Who'd make such a ****ty roster? *insert everyone who is not Sakurai here*

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom