• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
To me this sounds like he's saying "don't get your hopes up". :ohwell:
To me, it looks like he's just under an NDA and is trying to give the most non-committal answer possible. Or he's trying to throw us off the trail so the ARMS character announcement is still a "surprise".

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Was going to share my "newcomer for each existing series" list, but it was too generic.

So how about a KKR moveset?

King K. Rool is slow, heavy, and powerful, just like :4dedede::4ganondorf:. However, he is more weapon-based.

• Jab: Bites (3%), bites wider (4%), then lunges with a third bite (3%).
  • Dash Attack: Jumps and belly flops. 7%, and one of Rool's strongest moves.
  • Forward Tilt: Slaps up with the back of his hand. 5%.
  • Up Tilt: Hits diagonally up with his blunderbuss, twice. The first time is in front, the second time is behind. Both hits do 5%.
  • Down Tilt: Hits down at his feet with his blunderbuss. 6%.
  • Forward Smash: Fires a spiked Kannonball from his blunderbuss. 10% uncharged.
  • Up Smash: Uppercuts using a giant boxing glove. 14% uncharged.
  • Down Smash: Punches down at his feet with a giant boxing glove. 14% uncharged.

• Neutral Air: Swings blunderbuss down. 4%.
  • Forward Air: Swings head down, hitting with his crown. Head does 3%, base of crown does 1%, and tips of crown do 6%.
  • Up Air: Hits with his blunderbuss in a three-part swing, with each part of the swing causing 3%.
  • Back Air: Shoots a gas cloud from his blunderbuss, which lasts several seconds. Opponents that touch it take 1%.
  • Down Air: Stomps, and meteor smashes. 9%.

• Grab: Grabs using a large boxing glove.
  • Pummel: Slams against his torso. 3%.
  • Forward Throw: Punches with another glove. 11%.
  • Up Throw: Throws onto his head, and bounces them off his crown. 6%.
  • Back Throw: Punches with another glove. 11%.
  • Down Throw: Stomps. 7%.

• Standard Special: Shockwave Slam. A ground-only move. KKR stomps the ground, producing a wide, fast shockwave that travels on both sides. It hits characters on and near the ground for 16%.
  • Side Special: Boomerang Crown. KKR takes off his crown and throws it as a boomerang, which always comes back to his head. Touching the crown normally does 5%, but touching the top does 13%.
  • Up Special: Kingly Krusher. KKR glows blue and jumps up in a tall arc shape. On the way down, he'll hit for 13%. He'll also bury nearby opponents when he lands. He can grab the ledge on the way down.
  • Down Special: Bouncy Body. KKR assumes a ball shape. While he's a ball, he'll take no damage, but knockback he takes is tripled. Instead of walking or dashing, he'll roll, which is a bit faster than his actual dash. His jump height also increases some. KKR will stay a ball until he is grabbed, or if he uses an attack, or if this move is inputted again. If he is launched into someone, they are launched and they take 9%.
  • Final Smash: Kannonballs. Several cannonballs rain from the sky, with each causing 7%

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
No offend taken. I just thought I'd try and see why they would be valued by others. I'm not saying even I want all of them, but at least I could see why some would want them, and that's all I tried to point out. No worries bro.
Oh, yeah! I know everyone is going to want different characters, and have their reasons why. I totally get that. I understand why people want them, but I just don't understand the hype of some characters. I feel like I'm phrasing this wrong.

Anyway. I don't ever mean to offend. I'm just here to discuss and speculate.

Pakky

Smash Hero

I've convinced myself again and now I'm pushing for this guy super hard.

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
Here's a fun exercise: For each of the main Nintendo universes in the game, pick a newcomer. Returning veterans don't count, I want someone that's a brand new playable character from each series. Keep it semi-likely, meaning dream picks are allowed, but they should have SOME chance, however small, of making it in.
:4mario: Captain Toad
:4dk: Dixie Kong
:4link: Tingle
:4samus: Sylux
:4yoshi: Kamek
:4kirby: Bandana Dee
:4fox: Slippy Toad
:4pikachu: Rowlet (Y'all sleeping on Rowlet)
:4falcon: Black Shadow (though I could do without)
:4ness: Masked Man
:4marth: Frederick
:4pit: Fighter (though I could do without)
:4wario: Ashley (though I could do without)
:4olimar: Alph
:4villager: K.K. Slider
:4littlemac: Mr. Sandman (I think he's the biggest character that has a similar physique to make him work as a clone)
:4shulk: Rex (though I could do without)
:4gaw: Wars Series Infantry Unit
:4wiifit: Toy-Con Robot

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Hmm should I design that Spring Man moveset I had in mind?

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Here's a fun exercise: For each of the main Nintendo universes in the game, pick a newcomer. Returning veterans don't count, I want someone that's a brand new playable character from each series. Keep it semi-likely, meaning dream picks are allowed, but they should have SOME chance, however small, of making it in.
:4mario: Waluigi
:4dk: King K. Rool
:4link: Midna & Wolf Link
:4kirby: Bandana Dee
:4fox: Slippy Toad
:4samus: Zeta Metroid
:4pikachu: Mimikyu
:4falcon: The Blue Falcon
:4ness: Territorial Oak
:4marth: Tiki
:4pit: Viridi
:4wario: Ashley
:4olimar: Plasmwraith
:4villagerf: Tom Nook
:4littlemac: Mike Tyson Aran Ryan
:4shulk: Rex & Pyra/Mythra
Retro: Dark Samus (:troll:)

I wonder how old the people are that say "I don't understand why people want King K Rool"... (Not an insult). But I think most of these people didn't play the original game and/or watch the animated series. He was a fun villain back in the good old days! We want him mostly for nostaglia. I DO agree that there isn't really a huge reason to add him, as he's completely irrelevant, and I don't think he has the same "retro appeal" as other past additions, and I'm about 99% certain he'll never be added.
I understand why people want King K. Rool. I personally would love King K. Rool.

But I also don't see his chances as high because he hasn't really had any game appearances in like 10+ years. He isn't even in Donkey Kong Country anymore.

I'm so sick of hearing this. It's been explained to death why this proposal is so stupid.
I don't really understand it for Dark Pit and maybe Lucina to some extent. But I understand Dr. Mario and if they don't change up his moveset (and especially his final smash) I really don't think he shpuld be in.

What is it with video game villains always being the best cartoon characters? King K. Rool, Dr. Ivo Robotnick, King Dedede, Mother Brain. These are some of my favorite cartoon characters of all time!
I am assuming we are talking about Captain N here lol.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3054...e-toughest-character-to-create-and-the-potent

Some thoughts from Kosuki Yabuki (producer of ARMS) on the potential for a character in Smash.

...Could be, could not be, basically. :p
"Another thing I’d say is that Arms is so young — it’s only a year old — that maybe it’s too early to think about that."

I'd expect him to say something along the lines of "I can't answer that", because, well, what else is he supposed to say? But to explicitly state that he himself thinks ARMS is too young tells me we're not seeing ARMS in the base roster of Smash for Switch.

:4mario: Captain Toad
:4dk: King K. Rool
:4link: Mipha
:4kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
:4fox: Peppy Hare
:4samus: Sylux
:4pikachu: Gen 8 Pokemon
:4falcon: Pico
:4ness: Ninten
:4marth: Fire Emblem 16/Switch Character
:4pit: Hades
:4wario: Ashley
:4olimar: Britanny
:4villagerf: Isabelle
:4littlemac: Doc Louis
:4shulk: Rex & Pyra

Retro: Muddy Mole

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Such a breaking development! :troll:

In all seriousness, just the fact that he blatantly gives away that he is under NDA is reason enough for me to continue with the super obvious prediction that yes, Arms is coming to Smash.
I think the fact that he even bothers to point out that ARMS might be "too young" counters the fact that he "can't answer that".

He wouldn't even need to say that last bit, otherwise.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
:4mario:: Walugi
:4dk:: Krool.
:4link:: Mifa
:4samus:: Ripley
:4yoshi:: pass
:4kirby:: Bandana Doo
:4fox:: Crystals
:4pikachu:: Robinhoot
:4falcon:: Sakurai Goroh
:4ness:: Claws
:4marth:: Lin
:4pit:: cut dark pit
:4olimar:: Alphred
:4wario2:: Walugi
:4villager:: Is a bell
:4shulk:: :GCLT: ma
:4littlemac:: Mike Tyson
:4wiifit:: lmao
:4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt:: Laboboy

:4sonic:: nope
:4megaman:: nope
:4pacman:: nope
:4ryu:: Guile's Theme
:4cloud:: nope
:4bayonetta2:: nope
:snake:: :snake:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Why do we think sales really affect a characters chances of getting into smash? Do we have concrete proof that a game selling well has gotten a character into smash yet?
I mean for example, do you think Tethu from Ever Oasis or a Codename Steam character has a shot when both of their games didn't make a good splash?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I mean for example, do you think Tethu from Ever Oasis or a Codename Steam character has a shot when both of their games didn't make a good splash?
Rip, more well made Nintendo games who fell into the endless pit of obscurity. Custom Robo and Golden Sun say "Welcome!"

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3054...e-toughest-character-to-create-and-the-potent

Some thoughts from Kosuki Yabuki (producer of ARMS) on the potential for a character in Smash.

...Could be, could not be, basically. :p
Think you hit the nail on the head. It's a comment that could go either way which is great because they now idiots like us will try and read into it. I don't think anyone at Nintendo would say "Well, ARMS is a little too young." I think he's being non-commital without saying "no comment."

Better question is why are interviewers wasting time on these questions everyone knows they'll never be able to answer.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Bayonetta and pit fighting medusa. a la pit vs link smash 4 trailer. (Still want that anime)
YES YES YES!

Jeanne pops up in the background afterwards everyone thinks she's a costume.

....Psych

Last edited:
Rip, more well made Nintendo games who fell into the endless pit of obscurity. Custom Robo and Golden Sun say "Welcome!"
The never ending pit that also includes Sin & Punishment, Advance Wars, Elite Beat Agents, 1080 Snowboarding, Wave Race, and Glory of Heracles.
Bayonetta and pit fighting medusa. a la pit vs link smash 4 trailer. (Still want that anime)
That would be awesome.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Well here is the Spring Man moveset. If anyone can give me an idea for nair I would appreciate it.

Playstyle: Physical Zoner that uses his long stretchy ARMS to keep his opponents out and poke from a safe distance. Properly spacing attacks is key, as certain long reaching attacks have large sourspots on his coily arms.

Passive Mechanic: ARM Charge/ComebackOne of the most important mechanics in ARMS carried over to Smash. It functions a little different but the idea is the same. Using his neutral special he can charge up his ARMS which powers up his attacks temporarily giving them more damage. In addition when Spring Man is above 100% his ARMS become perma charged.
Normals
Jab Combo- Does two short ranged punches followed up with a final mid ranged punch. Final jab has a sourspot on the coils.

Forward Tilt- Steps forward while doing a mid-ranged backhand. Comes out quickly to help elevate pressure. Sourspot on coils

Up Tilt- Swings his arm over his head in a similar vein Ike’s Up Smash with the Chakram ARM. Like Ftilt doesn’t have as much range but is a good quick anti air option. Sourspot on coils.

Down Tilt- Swings his arm against the ground, sweeping anyone off their feet. Short ranged but no sourspot.

Dash Attack: Rams forward with his shoulder. Is the only move in his kit that doesn’t use his long ARMS.

Grab- Spring Man on his own has the longest ranged grab in the game. To offset this, his grab also has the unique property of being able to be broken through by attacks that do more than 3%.

Forward Throw- A recreation of Misango’s throw, though sweeps them off the ground with his arm instead of a kick.

Back Throw- A recreation of Ribbon Girls throw.

Up Throw- A recreation of his very own throw from ARMS.

Down Throw- A recreation of Master Mummys throw.

Forward Smash- Reels back his arm and lunges forward with a powerful strike with the Megaton ARM. Bit Slow but has a lot of range and decent power. Sourspot on coils.

Up Smash- Does a powerful long ranged uppercut. Attack is most powerful at the apex of the uppercut and has a weaker hitbox at the beginning that can link into strong hitbox at low to mid percent. At higher percents it doesn’t link so you will need to space it properly to start killing.

Down Smash- Swings the Boomerang ARM around him in a circle. Doesn’t have long range like the other smashes but makes up for it by covering both sides.

Neutral Air- ???

Forward Air- Swings his arm in a horizontal arc in front of him. Sour spot on coils

Back Air- Winds up then throws a straight punch behind him. Would be the longest and strongest aerial in his kit. Sourspot on coils.

Up Air- Swings both of his arms in an arc upward into each other quickly (mimicking a fist bump).

Down Air- Winds up then springs both his arms downward to spike the opponent. Has a sourspot on coils that do not spike.

Specials
Neutral Special/ARM Charge- When the button is pressed, you are locked in place and cannot move until pressing the button again. During this time for every second you stand still your ARMS will remain charged for 2 seconds afterward; maxing out at 5 seconds which would give you 10 seconds of charge time maximum. Once Spring Man is in comeback mode this move does not serve an extra purpose.

Side Special/Spring Boost- Slams his fist into the ground launching him high into the air. Opponents caught by the ground slam will be popped up allowing you to follow up with an aerial. Aerial version of this move will halt his momentum and give him a weak spike hitbox instead; weaker in the air overall.

Up Special/Tether ARMS- Throws both his ARMS at a 40 degree angle, will automatically home into ledges to function as a tether recovery. If you hit an opponent with it you will be catapulted towards their current location and body slam them, albeit not a very strong body slam.

Down Special/Deflect Counter. Functions as a basic counter, will counter attack with a powerful slam into the ground in front of him, though it only gets the 2x damage bonus when his ARMS are charged. In addition this move also has the benefit of deflecting projectiles without having to go through the counter attack animation but will allow you to act out of it sooner.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner of the last poll was Severa, who must be everyone's best girl. Olivia also happened to be pretty popular for a dancer. I guess Owain and Inigo were seen ad the most boring choices.

Anyways, this is the last Awakening poll. Some fan favorites here and there, included what could be the only well liked villain. Your choices are Virion, Tharja, Lon'qu, and Gangrel.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
What character/s, that others want as newcomers, do any of you just not understand what people see in?
Rayman. I just find his design so ugly. To me he looks like the mascot of a chain of family restaurants or something.

Edit: Oh and Goku. I never want to see a non video game originating character in smash.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm going to say the Inklings. Mainly because of how hugely popular Splatoon became. Maybe King K. Rool but he's more popular in the online communities then in the general area.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Absolutely if sakurai thinks the character is interesting or could work. I've yet to see sakurai ever say "their game didn't sell, so they didn't get in", or " this game sold really well, so I added them to the roster"

It feels like we've completely made up this stipulation.

Last edited:

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Absolutely if sakurai thinks the character is interesting or could work. I've yet to see sakurai ever say "their game didn't sell, so they didn't get in", or " this game sold really well, so I added them to the roster"

It's less of sales and more the character's widespread popularity. More sales=more people who know about the character=more people who are happy the character is on the roster.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

It's completely made up.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It's less of sales and more the character's widespread popularity. More sales=more people who know about the character=more people who are happy the character is on the roster.
Popularity should not be the deciding factor when selecting characters.

Smash is a ****ing popularity maker. It doesn't need to focus on being hip and cool because it's already hip and cool.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Popularity should not be the deciding factor when selecting characters.

Smash is a ****ing popularity maker. It doesn't need to focus on being hip and cool because it's already hip and cool.
To be fair, being super popular in Smash did nothing for poor Douglas.

:4falcon:Falcon sob!

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Well here is the Spring Man moveset. If anyone can give me an idea for nair I would appreciate it.

Playstyle: Physical Zoner that uses his long stretchy ARMS to keep his opponents out and poke from a safe distance. Properly spacing attacks is key, as certain long reaching attacks have large sourspots on his coily arms.

Passive Mechanic: ARM Charge/ComebackOne of the most important mechanics in ARMS carried over to Smash. It functions a little different but the idea is the same. Using his neutral special he can charge up his ARMS which powers up his attacks temporarily giving them more damage. In addition when Spring Man is above 100% his ARMS become perma charged.
Normals
Jab Combo- Does two short ranged punches followed up with a final mid ranged punch. Final jab has a sourspot on the coils.

Forward Tilt- Steps forward while doing a mid-ranged backhand. Comes out quickly to help elevate pressure. Sourspot on coils

Up Tilt- Swings his arm over his head in a similar vein Ike’s Up Smash with the Chakram ARM. Like Ftilt doesn’t have as much range but is a good quick anti air option. Sourspot on coils.

Down Tilt- Swings his arm against the ground, sweeping anyone off their feet. Short ranged but no sourspot.

Dash Attack: Rams forward with his shoulder. Is the only move in his kit that doesn’t use his long ARMS.

Grab- Spring Man on his own has the longest ranged grab in the game. To offset this, his grab also has the unique property of being able to be broken through by attacks that do more than 3%.

Forward Throw- A recreation of Misango’s throw, though sweeps them off the ground with his arm instead of a kick.

Back Throw- A recreation of Ribbon Girls throw.

Up Throw- A recreation of his very own throw from ARMS.

Down Throw- A recreation of Master Mummys throw.

Forward Smash- Reels back his arm and lunges forward with a powerful strike with the Megaton ARM. Bit Slow but has a lot of range and decent power. Sourspot on coils.

Up Smash- Does a powerful long ranged uppercut. Attack is most powerful at the apex of the uppercut and has a weaker hitbox at the beginning that can link into strong hitbox at low to mid percent. At higher percents it doesn’t link so you will need to space it properly to start killing.

Down Smash- Swings the Boomerang ARM around him in a circle. Doesn’t have long range like the other smashes but makes up for it by covering both sides.

Neutral Air- ???

Forward Air- Swings his arm in a horizontal arc in front of him. Sour spot on coils

Back Air- Winds up then throws a straight punch behind him. Would be the longest and strongest aerial in his kit. Sourspot on coils.

Up Air- Swings both of his arms in an arc upward into each other quickly (mimicking a fist bump).

Down Air- Winds up then springs both his arms downward to spike the opponent. Has a sourspot on coils that do not spike.

Specials
Neutral Special/ARM Charge- When the button is pressed, you are locked in place and cannot move until pressing the button again. During this time for every second you stand still your ARMS will remain charged for 2 seconds afterward; maxing out at 5 seconds which would give you 10 seconds of charge time maximum. Once Spring Man is in comeback mode this move does not serve an extra purpose.

Side Special/Spring Boost- Slams his fist into the ground launching him high into the air. Opponents caught by the ground slam will be popped up allowing you to follow up with an aerial. Aerial version of this move will halt his momentum and give him a weak spike hitbox instead; weaker in the air overall.

Up Special/Tether ARMS- Throws both his ARMS at a 40 degree angle, will automatically home into ledges to function as a tether recovery. If you hit an opponent with it you will be catapulted towards their current location and body slam them, albeit not a very strong body slam.

Down Special/Deflect Counter. Functions as a basic counter, will counter attack with a powerful slam into the ground in front of him, though it only gets the 2x damage bonus when his ARMS are charged. In addition this move also has the benefit of deflecting projectiles without having to go through the counter attack animation but will allow you to act out of it sooner.
For the neutral air, I'd say a downward diagonal punch.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
To be fair, being super popular in Smash did nothing for poor Douglas.

:4falcon:Falcon sob!
It didn't really help anyone outside of Roy. Characters in Smash has their own popularity in and outside Smash. Falcon from Smash and Falcon for F-Zero may as well be different characters. Which makes me think, show Falcon get a moveset revamp?

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
It didn't really help anyone outside of Roy. Characters in Smash has their own popularity in and outside Smash. Falcon from Smash and Falcon for F-Zero may as well be different characters. Which makes me think, show Falcon get a moveset revamp?
Roy was probably the character that got the most help out of Smash...

But I doubt Ike would had been the most popular Fire Emblem Character without Smash.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Roy was probably the character that got the most help out of Smash...

But I doubt Ike would had been the most popular Fire Emblem Character without Smash.
I dont know, but Ike was a pretty highly liked character even before Brawl. even in the FEHBallot, it was PoR Ike who won instead of RD Ike who got 5th, even though Smash 4 was out for a while by then. Roy is kinda just the only person people see getting the Smash popularity.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Well Sakurai did mention Duck Hunt's sales being a big contributor. Of course that was on top of having a unique concept for Duck Hunt, being the assistance from an unseen shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom