• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The direct would have been better if it was better organized. They spent too long with Spirts mode without really explaining what it was.

I would have opened with the cgi cutscene, explained spirts mode and the sticker system, then do the online/items stuff and close out with the character reveals. I also would have cut the time down by about 10 minutes since it got boring in the middle.

Overall, the content was good. Online is a little worrying, but I bet a lot of people will be playing with For Glory rules.
Honestly, I think people like me who had a negative reaction to Spirits at first were basing it off of the confusing explanation from the beginning of the Direct. It made it look like something really watered down and uninvolved, while the trailer at the end makes it look like a legit SSE follow up. I highly encourage people disappointed with Spirits go watch the trailer again and pay more attention to it like I did, it really helped me rethink things and I'm starting to get really hyped for the mode's possibilities, especially when it's been stated Sakurai wants to keep parts of it secret for launch.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
So 5 DLC will be Sora for KH3 (Squenix, so like maybe Geno long shot), FE3A rep, Gen 8 pokemon rep, Steve, aaaaaand Dee? Random new IP? Other 3rd party?

Pretty confident in the first 4, the last character is up in there

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I cannot believe how right on the money I was when I said people were gonna go back to calling this game a port.

They stopped existing after the August Direct and now after this Direct they've been brought back into existence.
Salt is real with some people

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
You're allowed to have opinions, there's nothing wrong with that.

However, if you think this game's a port...yeah, I honestly don't know what to say.

74 fighters, 103 stages, an Adventure Mode, multiple new game modes for the core mode, 800 pieces of music, and a bunch more stuff with DLC on the way is not a port.

Also, just because you don't like the newcomers doesn't mean no one does, including Piranha Plant. I actually find Piranha Plant more interesting than Shadow and Geno, and I wanted Shadow a bunch.
It's a port as far as I am concerned since all I care for are the characters. Modes, and whatever else, are irrelevant.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
But they are also playable before being spirits.

Look, I want Geno too... But let's not hurt ourself again. Mii costume, Grinch Leak, Ballot... Jesus...Let's just calmly enjoy the ride and be happy he's somehow represented than going for another DLC conspiracy, only to get ****ing rekt.

I'm still ****ing salty over Isaac.

I'm not going to Ride Geno's train because it still hurt

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
With how right he's been with everything from what I remember him leaking, I'm super curious on how Steve will work. There's the chance he could be wrong for the first time but...man...it seems unlikely by now.

Also I've more or less accepted what Smash Ultimate is for the base game by now. Piranha Plant I find more acceptable now and Ken + Incineroar are actually hype. Now to wait for December the 7th...

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
We're really going to have to wait and see on the online; hopefully it correctly prioritizes which settings are the most important. I never want to see a single item for any reason, and I do not want to see metered final smashes either. They're just obviously awful to the point I'd be seriously tempted to quit out if a match started with them on; playing against other humans with those things on is literally a waste of my time except insofar as maybe I need to a little to rank up so I can never see them again?

And yeah, anyone who had "hope" for metered final smashes, I hope you watched the treehouse. Diddy Kong instantly basically screen nukes which auto-combos into a kill move that seems to kill at around 80%? Yeah, when I think of characters who needed easy kill win buttons, I think of poor Diddy Kong. Truly if any character deserves an overwhelming implicit buff relative to the rest of the cast from a new subsystem it's Diddy Kong, right? Yeah, we're not using this setting at all.

Round two of the treehouse gameplay had some good stuff. Isabelle I was really worried about after her trailer, but then she has a lot of the good Villager moves and honestly looks like the better version of the character. She still has slingshot, and her down-B looks just drastically better than the tree and honestly probably not super far in power from our old friend Timber Counter (okay, maybe not THAT good, but still great). The fishing pole seems obviously worse than Loid Rocket but still good in its own right and potent looking overall, and I really like a few of her other normals (the disjointed Pikachu style jab is pretty interesting on this type of character, and having a combo utilt and a much better looking usmash than Villager is great). I worry about Villager in Ultimate in general; I think the shifts to the pace of the game are going to be a real negative to his playstyle. I still do have the same concerns which translate to Isabelle to a real extent, but she seems to have the underlying tools to be a character worth taking seriously.

K.Rool is exactly who I thought he was. Those projectiles obviously suck; I looked at everything Diddy Kong was doing with the crown and was thinking "we only thought Pac-Man's projectiles were the pinnacle of self-defeating moves". It's just obvious that almost the entire cast will use the crown better than K.Rool himself which means you'll want to actually pull that move out rarely and carefully, and the blunderbuss just looks so comically slow that I'm mostly having to think up extreme niche situations to imagine using it at all. That being said, K.Rool's normals look amazing, just a ton of really good animations across most of the moveset and seemingly a great combo of mobility, spatial control, and attack speed for a big. K.Rool's recovery is also a lot better than I would have guessed; it's just unambiguously the best of the big recoveries. I could easily imagine K.Rool just being just a super pure fundamentals character, and honestly it's pretty exciting as someone who has a level of appreciation for good basic normals.

Daisy was really fun to see in action; she looked outstanding! I was unclear throughout how much of that was Daisy's special stuff versus Peach and how much was the Peach moveset being buffed in general, but it was encouraging. That dsmash is about a million times better looking than Peach's dsmash in 4, having real range and also doing real damage and knockback on hit. In general a lot of her moves seemed to stretch a bit further than before, fsmash seemed to keep going back to the golf club which was interesting (coincidence or mechanic?), turnips pulled visibly faster than 4 (but still slower than Brawl or Melee), and Daisy Bomber seemed not only safe on block but like it set up for really good spacing for further actions so that could be a massive game changer for the character as well. In both Brawl and 4, Peach was a really high level character to play who ultimately paid off a little but not enough to justify the effort; it's nice to see her looking like her old self again.

Diddy Kong looked pretty much the same as 4 honestly which is a pretty great sign. The main thing I noticed was that dthrow's angle is much worse now, but it still seems to have good frame advantage so it will still be good just not as instantly amazing as before. It was hard to take too much else away as the Diddy player basically alternated between hitting with everything with no opposition and self destructing so that was unfortunate.

The 8 player match I was able to take very little from; it was just so chaotic with so many item things just getting in the way, but it was eight characters we have seen so little of otherwise. I took away a few little bits like "Falco laser is still way, way worse than Melee and Brawl but maybe no longer a useless joke move like 4" and "while many of G&W's animations are very different, they seem functionally similar to 4 and turtle has the same animation roughly", but I wasn't able to really learn a lot unfortunately. I we can all stop watering the Piranha Plant with our salty tears, I'm curious if anyone took any other good insights away from that match.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Trust me, no matter angry, sad, and/or disappointed that Isaac, Shadow, Banjo, Geno or whoever didn’t make it, I’m still getting this game.

I’m not even mad at Sakurai, he never promised anything or guaranteed that we were getting the leaked 7, heck Incineroar looks awesome because I never hated him and thought he would be a fun character even though I never requested him.

Who I’m actually pissed at is that damn leaker who’ve pulled this entire stunt and got everybody’s (including mine) hopes up into thinking they were getting their favorites and more than just Kencineroar and a near perfect roster, don’t be acting all high and mighty just because you knew you had doubts about it.

People had legitimate reasons to believe the Grinch leak, there were evidence and clues everywhere. It was easily the most convincing fake leak in Smash Bros history, and with the all company info and promotions and such. We had to risen our hopes up, everyone is back including two of the most requested characters of all time so what’s a few more fan-picks gonna hurt?
Excluding the echos it wasn’t gonna contradict Sakurai’s word being only 10 in total which is the lowest number of unique newcomers.

So I got one thing to say to you Grinch leaker:

Screw. You.

For going out of your way to make this extremely detailed leak just so people will get disappointed in the end instead of keeping their expections in check, I bet you’re laughing your a** off after this.

also people are apparently greedy and ungrateful for wanting actual characters they’ve been asking for decades instead of a mook lol
I'm with you but lol thing

Sooo that's what wario was scared of incineroar

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
lmao come one please knock it off with this. I'm not allowed to have a different opinion here? This game is an advanced port of smash 4 no matter how you slice it. And I know nintendo knows this, so the fact that the jump between smash 4 and smash ult is so underwhelming, you would think they would have used much-wanted characters like Geno and Shadow to buy this Smash 4 2.0 again to make it worth their money, but no, there's no reason for anyone who values their money to spend it on a game with 2-3 enjoyable newcomers.
Man, I thought we dispelled this "Ult is a port" stuff back at E3.

I don't care how much you dislike the new features, characters, graphics, etc.

Saying it's a port doesn't make sense.

Whether or not Smash Ult. is a port isn't based on your own opinion, it's based on the content of the game.

And pretty much anyone who has been following Ultimate's news up until now can tell you, this isn't a port.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Actually now that things have calmed down and everyone has had a chance to breath, this thread is looking a lot better then I thought it would!

I always kind of knew people would warm up to Incineroar when they saw him, but when everyone started buying into the Grinch leak I became worried that he'd end up being the scapegoat when it got debunked. Instead I'm seeing a lot of people warming up to him and getting excited like I initially thought! I'm sure there's still plenty of haters out there, but his reception is still looking pretty solid to me. It's a shame poor Piranha Plant is not quite as lucky, although even in his there's still just as much if not more warm reception towards him as there is negative.

As for the Grinch "leak" itself, it seems like a lot of people are taking it surprisingly well. I'm not seeing a whole lot of complaining from Team Real nor much in the way of obnoxious gloating from Team Fake.

Now I won't be surprised if things are different over at Gamefaqs or 4chan (I don't frequent those places for a reason) but I'm starting to feel really silly for being so cynical of the fanbase's reaction the night before. Most people have calmed down really fast. Or maybe it just looks that way to me because I was expecting this thread to be so nasty for a while. This thread already feels safer then it did a the peak of the Grinch Leak civil war.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that online icon will be Spirit you unlocked.
The same way that in Smash 4 you could use others kind of Icons online, doesn't mean they were hinted as DLC lmao.
There are a variety of icons. Among them 3D renders of Toad and other versions of playable characters ex: Paper Bowser. I don't think that's a such a clear connection to make, though it can always be true for sure

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm still happy with the game on the whole. It looks fun - I wish there would be more for single players and the loss of trophies stings (I did like the photo gallery mode, and I liked being able to read the info on other characters - hopefully the spirits still have infoboxes) but I'm gonna enjoy the game.

For anyone who's lost hype, check out the E3 direct again and go back in the thread to where it starts and read our comments. Or the August direct and our comments here.

I'm a bit nervous that DLC is already decided, so I hope that a second DLC season is gonna show. I'll probably get all of it, but I'd prefer to know who's inbound. I'd expect that Sora and Steve are highly likely, and I'm guessing Banjo/Kazooie's got a good shot as well. Rayman is also a possibility.

I'm just hoping Bethesda's "We've talked to Nintendo about Smash" means Dovahkiin for DLC. I'd be 100% ok with everything in that case.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I didn't see my boi anywhere in the Worlds of Light trailer, at least not in the CG cutscenes...
Don't worry, I assure you he died just like the rest of them. Except Kirby, of course Sakurai's son gets to live.

How do you feel about the Yoshi Stampede?

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
3. I wanted Shadow and he's out. I wanted Geno...and I don't think he's necessarily out(if he's a spirit). I don't think being a spirit is disqualifying, it's like being a trophy. Assist trophies are out though, almost certainly. I remain hopeful in him as DLC. And a second Sonic character like Tails or Eggman would be hype enough as DLC to make it possible. Can you imagine Eggman with a Death Egg stage? I'd be all in. We'll see.
Imagine that, getting Tails or Eggman and no Shadow echo. Eggman with Death Egg or Tails with...uh...anything that's not Green Hill related hopefully.

And I agree about Spirits not seeming like an outright deconfirm. Pre-DLC Smash 4 Lucas and Mewtwo trophies anyone? Fingers crossed on AT's being eligible however unlikely that may seem.

D

Deleted member

It's a port as far as I am concerned since all I care for are the characters. Modes, and whatever else, are irrelevant.
I mean, you can call it something it's not if you want, that doesn't objectively make it a port. That's like saying "I don't like all these newcomers in Smash Wii U, so it's obviously a Brawl port!" or, "Man, I hate these new tracks in Mario Kart 8! It's so a Mario Kart Wii port!"

To each their own, but that seems kinda silly to me.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I respect your decision good sir or ma'am. How you choose to spend your money is your own choice, and you shouldn't waste it on a game which you personally don't believe will interest you.

But may I ask why how we are supposed to "get owned" by this?
Damn didnt think id get owned twice today

Last edited:

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
Those Spirits cutscenes and the overworld look awesome! Also, is that a skilltree? Dayum. The direct was pretty weird about introducing the mode, but the end clarified everything for me atleast.

Can't wait for the 7th to finally come. Also, so many small QoL features were revealed! Those Smash tags sound fun, like a Death Note of beat opponents, whereas the video export thing could've used some more exposition. Can I export these videos to an SD card in .mp4 format or something? Or directly connect to my PC via some export software/website? That'd make for very easy content creation, especially since SFX/Music can be disabled on its own, which is great!

Also does anyone else kinda hope that the Mii fighters actually work well for once? The idea of them is pretty fun but they were incredibly unfun to play in Smash 4 except for maybe Mii Gunner.

Have a nice Direct-y day everyone! And...RIP Isaac. You were too good for this world.

paper roxy

Smash Ace

Look, I want Geno too... But let's not hurt ourself again. Mii costume, Grinch Leak, Ballot... Jesus...Let's just calmly enjoy the ride and be happy he's somehow represented than going for another DLC conspiracy, only to get ****ing rekt.

i feel like i have to ride the geno train because its the only thing thats been keeping me excited about smash

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Would also gladly serve as a punching bag with anyone who would have me, Online and so on permitting.
You're on.

We live in a universe where we can eventually have a Piranha Plant ditto match (actual Ditto optional), so we're going to have to.

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
Spirits are whatever. I'm assuming every or most playable characters have spirits, so i don't think it deconfirms anyone for dlc.

Isaac was my boy though. rip.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Geno isn't a Spirit, he's a token for Battle Arena. Giga Mac is too.

A playable character being a mii costume (Samus headgear) and/or a Spirit (the examples I've given) should mean newcomers are still viable even if they have shown up as Spirits. We even had Lucas and Mewtwo as trophies before they were made playable through DLC in Smash 4. If Geno isn't a DLC character, it's not because of this.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
i dont think i see sora dlc being a better financial option than geno dlc but idk.

also the whole "square has a stick up their ***** about their characters" narrative never really made sense to me. since they dont care about geno why would geno be harder to get than cloud?
We need to look past confirmation bias my friend. That may sound hypocritical on my part, but I believe that my opinion is well thought out.

Based on both insider statements and Square Enix representation in Smash (see: Cloud, one stage, and two versions of the same music track), we can assume that Square Enix is difficult to work with. You could say the DLC budget ran out by the time development on Cloud began, but then why not get more Final Fantasy content in Ultimate?

Because they're hard to work with and it's not worth it.

Square Enix seems to be most concerned with the bottom line. What will make them the most money? Is it including a one-off character who was in a side role in a game 20 years but has a small vocal fanbase? Or one of their juggernaut IPs like Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, or Tomb Raider? The answer speaks for itself really.

What series of their's has a major release coming soon? Kingdom Hearts. And Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't just major, it's major. This has been in the making since 2005. Fan anticipation is at an all time high and Kingdom Hearts 3 is looking to be the series' magnum opus. It makes perfect sense to promote it and the Kingdom Hearts series with Sora's inclusion in Smash Bros.

Square Enix may have nothing to lose by including Geno, but they have much more to gain by including Sora.

apaulieg

Smash Rookie
My guess is the five DLC Characters pre-March-2020 will be:
Banada Dee (very popular in both Japan and the United States, and now a staple of Modern Kirby)
Heihachi (Comes from an unrepresented, popular fighting game, and the mii outfit from Smash 4 has not been seen)
Elma (Rex is explicitly out for at least Round 1 of DLC, but Xenoblade has become very popular - Elma is the next go-to)
Sora (I would normally say Geno... but with Kingdom Hearts 3 on the horizon, it's more likely Sora if only one Square Enix rep)
Steve (Honestly, I wouldn't include him except Vergeben has been VERY correct so far... and third party popularity)

And then characters for a Season Two of DLC before the end of 2021 might include some echoes as well as revitalized assist trophies as unique characters based upon feedback or future polling.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
AND NO ONE BELIEVED IT
Before blaming phiranna plant, or sakurai, blame smash speculation and leakers, we forced Sakurai hand to pick piranna plant because every other WTF character have been speculated before. so even if it got leaked nooone would actually believe it. :4pacman:

btw it's INCREDIBLY clear what my opinion is judging by the Nintenzone post but I do understand why people would find this underwhelming, especially because of the pacing, final base first and like 20 minutes on Spirits? Damn
Sadly for me, Spirits and world of light were the underwhelming stuff :c (heck, i may even think the piranna was a highlight) is not like they look ugly. it doesn't look ugly.

What it really worries me is that it looks boring :/.

Plus, is this the first smash game withouth any form of singleplayer platforming content? :S
Smash 64 (break teh targets)
Melee (adventure mode, break teh targets, board teh platforms)
Brawl (subspace emisary, generic break the targets)
3DS (Smash Run)
Wiiu (master fortress... this was very little platforming content though iand i always hated this from the wiuu version)
Ultimate (....)

Honestly this is what irks me :/, the roster is ok.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I would imagine that even though playable characters can have spirits, that the current 5 DLC characters are already decided and that most characters that are spirits now are unlikely to appear as DLC.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Ok, first of all. Hot DAMN Inceneroar looks dope as ****. He has just officially tied with K. Rool for best trailer too. He's exactly what I wanted for him too, Smash's equal to "King" from Tekken. Don't understand Piranha Plant at all but uh, ok, I'll take it.

Holy ****, Smash did what Capcom never could, Ken isn't **** ugly in this game.

Other thoughts. It's a shame to see Isaac as an Assist again, especially with his model being as good as it is, but I'm glad to see him back at all. Cool to see Ray Mk. III in the game even though the TM just expired. Maybe they're working on getting it back? And Ken is in the exact same pose as the Grinch Leak. Surprising, sure, but I'm not going to go full conspiracy theorist over it.
Is Ray an AT or just a costume? My favorite AT but I haven't seen him

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
HOLDER YOU NEVER UNDERSTAND ANY OF MY 50 CENT REFERENCES GOD

But no I'm not upset, it's been a couple days since I actually thought he was plausible. I'm just happy he's back. I am bummed he's in the same ranks at STINKY OLD GHIRAHIM though. :p:lick::p
50 cents? The DLC is going to be more than that, N3ON... :p Lol but for real, ever since the fated day that I've been enlightened about donkeys and punches, I've officially abandoned the prospect of aiming to grasp your references. :laugh:

But Stinky old Ghirahim?! At last he is more than just, "Here comes the giant fist!" as opposed to Ghirahim... you know, throwing a few dagger things. :urg: Bleh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom