• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Looks like Crash is common on the DLC wish lists of many japanese players at the moment, alongside Banjo and Geno.

Crash can still happen in DLC, we just need to work our way in, and japanese players would probably help a lot.

Tinarg

Smash Cadet
Ken and Incineroar were disappointing but man is Piranha Plant cool. He's no Mach Rider but he still scratches the same itch: some crazy fighter with a moveset like no other.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I feel like people have the idea of spirits backwards. It's not a deconfirm for any character because it's also showed playable characters as spirits. If anything it's a step in the other direction. It means that Sakurai potentially has the permission and rights to put any of those sprits in the game as a playable fighter. The world of light trailer was trying to hint at this I think by showing every single fighter, excluding kirby, being turned into a spirit.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Ah, beautiful.

I think I based the Ken I drew on a different era of Ken.
EDIT
by Pakky Pakky
by splat splat
The official one is almost like a combination of the two

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So 5 DLC will be Sora for KH3 (Squenix, so like maybe Geno long shot), FE3A rep, Gen 8 pokemon rep, Steve, aaaaaand Dee? Random new IP? Other 3rd party?

Pretty confident in the first 4, the last character is up in there
DLC characters were decided before the main roster cutoff though.

"We decided on which fighters to include when we started planning."

The five characters are already decided on. It's why characters like Rex and Spring Man didn't make it, because DLC was already decided.

Fan demand could come into play with a potential Season 2, but for now the only thing we can do is wait and see who makes the cut.

This is pretty intense lol.
This is a much overlooked fact.

Back to discussing hypothetical ballot results I guess.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'd like to hear how the banner was faked, someone really did their homework in order to fabricate it. I was on TeamMaybe but still interested to hear the details.
I'm not the faker, but here's the gist of it.

Open the current banner (at the time) in Photoshop. Select which characters you want to add in and find pictures of them. Open them in Photoshop too.

Use the lasso tool to outline current characters on the poster that you wish to move, copy and paste those renders onto new layers, and use the paint or smudge tool to add minor details on those characters that may have been hidden before (e.g. Greninja's tongue). None of these details have to be remotely perfect since the final image will be blurry as hell.

Use the smudge tool on the background layer (the original banner image) to fudge the scenery and cover up characters in their old spots. Then copy and paste each of the characters you want to add in from the files you have open. Resize them to fit, and, to make sure no one traces the image back to the reference you used, use the smudge, paint or lasso tool to move portions of the body into different poses. Like, say, Kazooie's wings. Make one go up higher and the other come back across. Now it no longer matches any known render and the blurriness will cover up your mistakes.

Finish the background on the edges with the smudge tool, draw in some overlapping layers with colors eyedropped from the image itself, find renders of the Smash Ultimate logo and Switch logo, paste them as new layers to cover up mistakes, look it over for small missing details, then save it on a USB, walk to Kinkos, print it out.

All of this can be accomplished in an afternoon.

As for the Grinch and store hanging fixture prints, one of two things:

1) The guy actually had access to some of this stuff from this workplace, either through a friend/family member or his own job, and used them to legitimize his leak. OR
2) He looked for a company that does this sort of promotional printing for Nintendo or Bandai Namco and, much like we did, found their video on how they print these things and made that in Photoshop too, printed at Kinkos.

Then, to justify the blurriness he needed, he sent a Snapchat photo with a duplicate account, disguised it as a private conversation gone wrong and used a poorly "hidden" name in the photo to make sure people trying to discredit the leak could find this guy on LinkedIn and find the printing company on his resume to make it all the more real. Pick someone in France with very little on their resume to avoid the possibility of him, say, coming onto Twitter and just saying, "Nah, that's not me." This is the most clever part. The rest isn't really any different from the Palutena tease before Smash 4 or other blurry Photoshop "leaks".

Chrono.

As someone who wasn't even disappointed with the Direct, I think the "you should denounce any and all criticism of the game because Sakurai is tired" narrative is silly.

It's okay to be critical of things you like and love, just as long as you're being respectful and not throwing tantrums about it.

Like, I'm still ecstatic for the game, I really am. But I do have some gripes, I'm sad Trophies are gone and I think Spirits themselves are little underwhelming and remind me too much of both Stickers and Customs from Smash 4 which I'm not a fan of. The structure of the Direct was too bloated for what was a lot of fluff (Options? Really?) They also did a poor job selling me on Adventure Mode, but I'm keeping an open mind about it.

Anyways, it's good to be critical of things. Just don't be an asshat about it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
At this point I just really hope we get Geno instead of Sora. Both would be fine, but I'll be so disappointed if it's just the latter. Though at this rate the dlc will suck anyway. Hopefully Pirahna plant was a one time thing. I don't think I could handle another character on that level of garbage.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I do gotta wonder what the prize will be for beating Classic is now that Trophies are gone.

Also, I hope HRC is still in the game. I'd really miss it if it were gone.

Still hyped though. I can't wait to be able to fight Galleom again! He was always my favorite SSE boss, so to see that they brought him back made me so happy.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Looks like Crash is common on the DLC wish lists of many japanese players at the moment, alongside Banjo and Geno.

Crash can still happen in DLC, we just need to work our way in, and japanese players would probably help a lot.
I feel like my previous statement about the 2015 DLC Season 1 cutoff applies here too.

Sorry Crash fans. I stand with you, but we're gonna have to hope for a Season 2.
I feel like we're definitely going to get Melmetal as DLC
Oh yeah 2015 cutoff definitely applies here.

Melmetal and a Three Houses rep (among others) will not be in the first Fighter pack.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm still happy with the game on the whole. It looks fun - I wish there would be more for single players and the loss of trophies stings (I did like the photo gallery mode, and I liked being able to read the info on other characters - hopefully the spirits still have infoboxes) but I'm gonna enjoy the game.

For anyone who's lost hype, check out the E3 direct again and go back in the thread to where it starts and read our comments. Or the August direct and our comments here.

I'm a bit nervous that DLC is already decided, so I hope that a second DLC season is gonna show. I'll probably get all of it, but I'd prefer to know who's inbound. I'd expect that Sora and Steve are highly likely, and I'm guessing Banjo/Kazooie's got a good shot as well. Rayman is also a possibility.

I'm just hoping Bethesda's "We've talked to Nintendo about Smash" means Dovahkiin for DLC. I'd be 100% ok with everything in that case.
Yeah, I think I'm definitely not going to be getting the DLC season pass as I thought I would. With 5 characters, and one of them possibly being Minecraft? I'll be happy with the game as is, but I'll be very selective with DLC characters now that I know the plan. And if Minecraft's in, Banjo's out. No way two of those 5 DLC characters will be Microsoft. And it's really unfortunate because this seems like the only time Banjo & Kazooie could have had their chance in Smash. 5-10 years from now when the next game comes around, Microsoft will likely swing around back to being smug and uncooperative, and it's very likely some of my favorite veteran characters would get cut too.

Everyone is back. Maybe not everyone is here for me personally, but everyone is back--and that's what matters at least.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
How much?
First off consider all the Kid Icarus content..

Viridi, and Hades already appear in dialogue on Palutena's temple, and Viridi is a backround character, Phosphora is back as a assist, and Pit, Palutena and Dark Pit seem odd to where you would think there would be a newcomer, trophies are indeed removed and Medusa was a trophy, just a trophy.

So consider this, Sakurai made Medusa just a trophy intentionally to save her for later after he removes said trophies and makes her a playable character.. Think about it, Medusa is a iconic mainstay to the Kid Icarus series where is she? She has yet to be seen anywhere.

So I totally bet Medusa is dlc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Though, I can say that people who don't like Piranha Plant are justified, to an extent.

Imagine Waluigi, Geno, Isaac, Rex & Pyra, Spring-Man, Shadow, and other characters that you might love that might not get in, but an enemy from Mario got in. That really isn't on people who're made, sadly that's kinda on Sakurai and the team.

And with the reports of how the Smash Ballot was handled, I don't think people are being "ungrateful" when you look at it at a broad sense. Like imagine if Banjo-Kazooie and Sora got shoved off for a Piranha Plant. What was the point of even pushing Isaac?

People legitimately have gripes and concerns. While this game is looking to be great, we have to acknowledge the shortcomings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Vergeben I'm sorry I should have stuck with you but At least I expected the worst

But I think we should all enjoy ultimate regardless no matter what we get

I think banjois very likely

paper roxy

Smash Ace
We need to look past confirmation bias my friend. That may sound hypocritical on my part, but I believe that my opinion is well thought out.

Based on both insider statements and Square Enix representation in Smash (see: Cloud, one stage, and two versions of the same music track), we can assume that Square Enix is difficult to work with. You could say the DLC budget ran out by the time development on Cloud began, but then why not get more Final Fantasy content in Ultimate?

Because they're hard to work with and it's not worth it.

Square Enix seems to be most concerned with the bottom line. What will make them the most money? Is it including a one-off character who was in a side role in a game 20 years but has a small vocal fanbase? Or one of their juggernaut IPs like Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, or Tomb Raider? The answer speaks for itself really.

What series of their's has a major release coming soon? Kingdom Hearts. And Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't just major, it's major. This has been in the making since 2005. Fan anticipation is at an all time high and Kingdom Hearts 3 is looking to be the series' magnum opus. It makes perfect sense to promote it and the Kingdom Hearts series with Sora's inclusion in Smash Bros.

Square Enix may have nothing to lose by including Geno, but they have much more to gain by including Sora.
i get the kh3 is a big thing, but i myself have seen more overlap with smash fans and geno fans (including sakurai lol) than i have smash fans and sora fans. you dont just include mickey mouse in a game as dlc since hes popular, you need to think of that games fanbase and if theyd rather have mickey mouse or pinnochio. just my thoughts though

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Anyone hoping for Geno, I'd not bank on it. I highly doubt Sakurai would just up and reveal the DLC fighters like that.

There's five, only five, and based on what was said, it's extraordinarily unlikely to the point of absurdity that Sakurai would just leak them now.

There's always Smash 6. Maybe.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
So I will now promptly forget about the grinch leak fighters so that I can be surprised when they are inevitably released as one of the five mystery fighters. I will not remember Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Mach Rider, Isaac, or Shadow, no matter what you say.

DaisukeReds

Smash Rookie
Geno still has a chance since the 5 DLC characters will be brand new and Sakurai explained that they haven't started work just yet. If you really want Geno to be in this game, now is the time. You HAVE to make your voice be heard.
I'd be MORE than surprised if these 5 aren't set in stone already.
They have to be if they want to release them soon / at some point. Characters take a LOT of time, which they can't waste on simply deciding which.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of feel silly caring what characters get into a kid's party game for all these years

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Vergeben confirmed the video many of the insiders saw as Piranha plant. It’s kinda funny cause even THEY didn’t believe it lmao.

He looks fun too. I was hoping for Geno, but Sakurai surprised me with him, after the shock subsided. I can’t wait to try them all.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Don't
People are upset that they think it took the slot of their fake leak characters.
No, those characters were never in the game.
Don't assume things. I for one am disappointed that we got a generic enemy over literally anything else. You're delusional if you think it was Pirahna plant or nothing. We'd have gotten a different character if it wasn't this.

D

Deleted member

I feel like my previous statement about the 2015 DLC Season 1 cutoff applies here too.

Sorry Crash fans. I stand with you, but we're gonna have to hope for a Season 2.

Oh yeah 2015 cutoff definitely applies here.

Melmetal and a Three Houses rep (among others) will not be in the first Fighter pack.
As with K.Rool, we will have to give enough support until it happens.

We won’t give up, because then K.Rool would still be a Mii costume.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Geno isn't a Spirit, he's a token for Battle Arena. Giga Mac is too.

A playable character being a mii costume (Samus headgear) and/or a Spirit (the examples I've given) should mean newcomers are still viable even if they have shown up as Spirits. We even had Lucas and Mewtwo as trophies before they were made playable through DLC in Smash 4. If Geno isn't a DLC character, it's not because of this.
I'm just saying that this time, I'll take what I see, instead of doing conspiracy theory, especially with that ****ing dumb Grinch leak and whatever. If Geno is DLC, good! But I won't be surprised at all, or feel bad if he's not because at least I'm not rising my expectation over some Mii Costume/Icon theory.

I decided to believe the sprout for Isaac, even a bit of the Grinch leak.
But those Muh direct postponned, LITTLE MAC HAVE GREEN IN HIS EYES and **** like that, **** me.
Square Probably just don't want Geno's in at this point, and I can totally see the link between this and the lost cameo from the M/L remake.

Come on, you won't look at me and tell me that if Sakurai could, he would choose Pirannah over Geno as a Mario DLC characters, especially first characters, free for a limited time before being paid.

I'll just wait and see, but I'm not riding this ride anymore

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
lmao I still can't believe Piranha Plant is a playable character, that was hilarious and not gonna lie but I'm actually kind of excited to play as the Piranha Plant when the character is available.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I kind of feel silly caring what characters get into a kid's party game for all these years
That's what this direct has made me realize. I've wasted my time fretting over this ****.

When in the end, it's still going to be a fun game like all the other smash games have been.

It'll take me a long time to get over this. I'll probably eventually cave and buy Ultimate once the DLC is out. But now...I just don't have the heart.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
At this point I just really hope we get Geno instead of Sora. Both would be fine, but I'll be so disappointed if it's just the latter. Though at this rate the dlc will suck anyway. Hopefully Pirahna plant was a one time thing. I don't think I could handle another character on that level of garbage.
Look dude, I get that you're mad. But Piranha Plant is honestly one of the most unique and interesting looking characters I've ever seen in Smash. I'm glad we got him in the game tbh.

The main fanbase already got their picks in Ridley and K. Rool. DLC is likely going to be about the wider fanbase (evidenced by Sm4sh DLC in Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta, who all had little to no presence in community speculation).

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
I do gotta wonder what the prize will be for beating Classic is now that Trophies are gone.

Also, I hope HRC is still in the game. I'd really miss it if it were gone.

Still hyped though. I can't wait to be able to fight Galleom again! He was always my favorite SSE boss, so to see that they brought him back made me so happy.
Probably some special spirits?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Don't

Don't assume things. I for one am disappointed that we got a generic enemy over literally anything else. You're delusional if you think it was Pirahna plant or nothing. We'd have gotten a different character if it wasn't this.
We got a generic enemy over bandana Dee

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
Can someone answer me a question?

Is Spirits and this adventure mode "World of Light" one in the same, or two entirely different modes?

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Well, I don't know about your feelings but I can imagine.
I was a box theory believer and I didn't buy the Grinch at 100% but... Still dissapointed. Not even worst case scenario, even further. Kencineroar could had been OK but a joke character and throphies removal is pure bull****. I know Sakurai made something great but this... Pure artworks, really? Weird battles as the main 1P mode? Piranha plant apports NOTHING. There's a difference with R.O.B. or Mr. G&W,. It is just a joke but considering who left outside (Isaac, Springman, Shadow, Waluigi, Ashley... And I don't care about most of them) it hurts. It's development and resorces wasted, so yeah, in my view it's a place which could fill a better character. I can understand the trolling and as a joke is a master class, but come on! At least seems funny to play as it, so well, OK.
Put less trophies then or something like that. Recicled artworks gallery... Pffff. I woudn't try to unlock everything this time.
And about the adventure mode I'm not interested, really. I didn't enjoy de Sub Space neither, so... Even if it's awesome I don't care about that, even if Banjo was revealed I wouldn't find it cool. But it's my opinion. Better the unlocking way still works with VS matches cause it's how I wanna do it.
The game is truly awesome but, wow, this final direct sucked for me. We got K. Rool and Ridley, Belmonts, Isabelle... Super newcomers, so I don't understand why left Kencineroar an the plant as the final blast. Incineroar and Ken looks cool (the tiger is a WWE star, nice) but overall are lesser weights. I don't understand the reveal politics.
Anyway, at least Dixie and Banjo dodged the AT bullets, so let's wait for DLC.
But seriously, trpohies removal, I CAN'T GO WITH THIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom