• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
A song in remembrance of the Grinch leak, even though we're still weeks away from Christmas:

'twas the night before the direct
and all across Smashboards
Everyone was excited
and probably won't sleep.
To see Mr. Sakurai
smiling with glee
always bring glee
to everyone here.
Everyone is waiting
to see what's in store
and to see the fate
of a Mr. Grinch.
Would they see
"everyone is here?"
On Shadow, On Ken
On Isaac, On Geno
On Mach Rider, On Banjo
On Chorus Kids, On Kazooie
TOMORROW we rise
probably in a stoop
with one question in mind
"Can Pichu be top tier?"

Thanks w/epicpleasefixswitch on r/smashbros for the idea

This was also the first Halloween in memory that IT DIDNT SNOW OVER HERE IN MY LITTLE CANADIAN TOWN

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I should clarify.
It's not the 2B boat.

It's the NieR boat.

Anyone is welcome! Including A2.

Just keep Drakengard 2 where it belongs.
uhmmmm.. i don't know if i trust that fish... specially if coming from 9S

hahah to speak truth im actually ok with 2b, like the character a lot and i understand she is the face of the game... is just that when i see some of the 2b supporters on teh interwebz, i feel that they never have touched the game and are in the boat only for dat ass :c (obviously that doesnt include you XD)

I still do feel that she is better in Soul calibur 6 though but who knows, maybe she can come to smash and bring Nightmare with her? XD (and geralt)...

While i really hope that SCVI season pass remaining characters are veterans (where is Hildeeeeee) i wish that the game does good enough to warrant more season passes, and maybe some other cool crossovers with them (Dark Souls, Fate stay night, Berserk anyone?)

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Alright, so let's.... brainstorm here:

Let's theorize that, sure, Verg's source actually DID mistake Matthew for Isaac and we are indeed getting Isaac with a Matthew AT.

I still find it completely illogical that everything Verg said minus Incineroar would be coming true. This just seems ridiculous.
The reason I dont consider the lack of Incineroar as a point against the leak is because we have no evidence pointing towards it discrediting the Grinch Leak. The two premises can actually co exist together. Verge already brough Incineroar 3 three times so he must be really sure that he is in. My guess is that both can end up being true. We might see the Grinch Leak and Incineroar tomorrow. Some people like to consider Incineroar leak bait (under the idea that this is the final roster) but that is not the only possibility. Incineroar might still be in.

Shroob

Sup?
The reason I dont consider the lack of Incineroar as a point against the leak is because we have no evidence pointing towards it discrediting the Grinch Leak. The two premises can actually co exist together. Verge already brough Incineroar 3 three times so he must be really sure that he is in. My guess is that both can end up being true. We might see the Grinch Leak and Incineroar tomorrow. Some people like to consider Incineroar leak bait (under the idea that this is the final roster) but that is not the only possibility. Incineroar might still be in.
That makes no logical sense though.

APR was sent a banner to make promotional material based off of it. Why would they NOT have the full banner? And why would they leave out ONE character?

You'd think that if they were afraid of it 'leaking', they'd hide a more high profile character like Banjo, not friggen Incineroar.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
... I am everything wrong with Smash.
Smash Ultimate Mains.png

But ignoring that, I've come up with a fun little game of giving my mains Pokemon style characterizations to pass the time

Fighting-Steel
Skill: Nihil, Negates secondary properties of enemy's attacking moves
Signature Move: Aether, lowers the enemy's defense before unleashing a physical HP draining attack, both fire and steel type.
Flying-Steel type
Skill: Limit Break- If Cloud stays in for 3 turns, his signature move changes
Signature Move: Braver, mediocre, but reliable physical steel type attack. Limit Broken: becomes Omnislash. Powerful finishing move. Removes limit after use.
Steel-Fairy type
Skill: Rally, On switching out, incoming ally receives physical attack boost.
Signature Move: Falchion. Physical Steel type attack that is devastating against dragon-types.
Fighting-Fairy
Skill: Courage, if a user's stat is lower than an enemy's, he will buff himself in that stat.
Signature Move: Master Sword: Reliable special Fairy type move that decreases enemy speed. Deals more damage at full HP.
Dark-Dragon
Skill: Tactical Advice, reveals all of the enemy's stats, items, and moves upon switching in.
Signature Move: Ignis. Adds half of the physical attack stat to the special attack stat, before unleashing a special dark type attack.
Psychic type
Skill: Monado Arts, on switching out, buffs transfer to next Smasher.
Signature Move: Vision, protects user, on activation, given speed, defense, and sp. defense buff.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Well fellow Smash fans, I must say that this speculation period has been an honor. We will likely know all we are going to know up until release tomorrow. Of course we can still speculate on what we might find at release afterwards, but the climax may very well be tomorrow.

See you all on the flipside!

P.S. Shadow and Bandanna Dee plz sakurai!

Polan

Smash Lord
If Cloud and Bayonetta can get trailers without CGI then those 3 surely can
cloud and bayonetta were dlc. and trailers are expensive to make, especially with a smaller team.
What if they just decide to open with a new "Everyone is Here!" trailer but this time there are new characters in there. It would remind of how SFV:AE revealed all the Season 3 characters.

If I remember correctly, they didn't actually show the characters in order. They would just show a random character and their number. So imagine the new trailer being like "#61: Cloud" and then randomly "#71: Banjo & Kazooie" -- assuming they are a character.

I know people like CG reveals, and that's cool, but I feel like this would be hype also. Of course they would show gameplay and the updated mural afterwards.
i think the grinch leak is fake but if it was real, a CG trailer showing all 7 newcomers is the only pausible way to reveal that many characters in one direct. dropping trailer after trailer would make the the direct way too disjointed.

NineS

Smash Lord
uhmmmm.. i don't know if i trust that fish... specially if coming from 9S

hahah to speak truth im actually ok with 2b, like the character a lot and i understand she is the face of the game... is just that when i see some of the 2b supporters on teh interwebz, i feel that they never have touched the game and are in the boat only for dat *** :c (obviously that doesnt include you XD)

I still do feel that she is better in Soul calibur 6 though but who knows, maybe she can come to smash and bring Nightmare with her? XD (and geralt)...

While i really hope that SCVI season pass remaining characters are veterans (where is Hildeeeeee) i wish that the game does good enough to warrant more season passes, and maybe some other cool crossovers with them (Dark Souls, Fate stay night, Berserk anyone?)
Same here. On everything.

Except 9S. If you'd trust Jack-ass, then A2 most certainly take any suspicious-looking but totally innocent peace offering from 9S and eat it.

Even if it might just be poison to her.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
View attachment 174291
But ignoring that, I've come up with a fun little game of giving my mains Pokemon style characterizations to pass the time

Fighting-Steel
Skill: Nihil, Negates secondary properties of attacking moves
Signature Move: Aether, lowers the enemy's defense before unleashing a physical HP draining attack, both fire and steel type.
Flying-Steel type
Signature Move: Braver, mediocre, but reliable physical steel type attack. Limit Broken: becomes Omnislash. Powerful finishing move. Removes limit after use.
Steel-Fairy type
Signature Move: Falchion. Physical Steel type attack that is devastating against dragon-types.
Fighting-Fairy
Skill: Courage, if a user's stat is lower than an enemy's, he will buff himself in that stat.
Signature Move: Master Sword: Reliable special Fairy type move that decreases enemy speed. Deals more damage at full HP.
Dark-Dragon
Skill: Tactical Advice, reveals all of the enemy's stats, items, and moves upon switching in.
Signature Move: Ignis. Adds half of the physical attack stat to the special attack stat, before unleashing a special dark type attack.
Psychic type
Signature Move: Vision, protects user, on activation, given speed, defense, and sp. defense buff.
At least they're all unique in their own ways. You could use Marth, Lucina, Roy, and Chrom exclusively.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Lowkey I find it super interesting that so many insiders have come out of the woodwork to comment on this leak. Like something about this leak sparked them. And their only arguement is "Is fake trust me". Seems like damage control.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I'm theorizing that Geno's trailer starts with an updated version of the Smash 64 intro. Then, a bright light is indirectly shown, it's off-screen. Then, the camera turns to Geno.

Shroob

Sup?
Lowkey I find it super interesting that so many insiders have come out of the woodwork to comment on this leak. Like something about this leak sparked them. And their only arguement is "Is fake trust me". Seems like damage control.
I mean, the same happened with Papagenos and his lone source that said "Banner's real", they only came out after the banner did.

It goes both ways. They ALL want their 30 seconds of fame.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Isabelle's trailer was cg, it was just styled like an Animal Crossing game.
Ohh gotcha. I was thinking it was made with an in-game engine (but I also spaced and forgot about the Tom Nook scene that is clearly cg)

Last edited:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Well, since everyone else did, here's my roster for the upcoming installment of Smash Bros. Funny; the main characters I plan to use are all 3rd party(Red background characters are my old main when I get bored.)

1541042891136.png

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
View attachment 174291

Fighting-Steel
Skill: Nihil, Negates secondary properties of enemy's attacking moves
Flying-Steel type
Steel-Fairy type
Fighting-Fairy
Dark-Dragon
Psychic type
Shulk is broken and I love it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
To be fair, a lot of them were asked.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
The common narrative behind that has been the leak got A LOT right by happens chance, none of the insiders actually know what the banner looks like but they know there were characters missing/shouldn't be there and were confused. Came out to say its fake but can't reveal why they know because, well, they'd blow their sources and that's literally the largest cardinal sin a insider can commit.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Final night for the infamous page number.

Final night before Smash Speculation dies for a while.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
C'mon, am I the only one who remembers this character? Super Mario RPG has so many awesome characters I will never forget.. Same goes for Golden Sun too!
Oh, my bad. I've never played either Super Mario RPG or Golden Sun. I was playing Sonic during the SMRPG days and Star Ocean 3 during the Golden Sun days

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318

Read the thread. Another blog theroy because.... why not

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Worth noting that some of these characters have different names in Japanese:

Bowser/Jr. is Koopa/Jr.; Jigglypuff is Purin, Isabelle is Shizue, Villager is Murabito, Megaman is Rockman, Robin is Reflet, Dark Pit is Black Pit

That said, you can probably fill in the holes with Pokemon or Mario enemies to make sure they are recognizable. (Be sure to check the JP names or the kids will be confused!)

That’s the whole purpose. To teach them english names of characters they recognize. They always find that interesting - especially the Pokémon after I explain the meanings behind them like Charizard. Which they then compare to Japanese for characters like Pikachu where Pika means the sound of electricity and Chu, the sound a mouse makes.

Wdit: just saw you live in Nagoya. Awesome city. I did a study abroad there twice back in my college days. Have yet to go back though. I imagine you understand what I’m coming from if you teach here then with the kids finding that sort of stuff interesting.

Anyways, thanks for all the ideas. I’ll go through them and pick and choose ones that would make sense to the kids.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I swear to God if Undertale gets in this game...

I don't even know how I'd react. Joyously, probably, but also totally baffled. It'd be hilarious.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Before the Smash Direct, I'd like to present you all this. Remember the man behind this entire project.
Thank you, Sakurai.

"Unfortunately, on November 1st, 2018, Masahiro Sakurai, the director of Super Smash Bros. quietly passed away business cards during a meeting at Nintendo HQ."

Last edited:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice

Read the thread. Another blog theroy because.... why not
Am I reading that right? He predicted 7 newcomers for this Direct using...math?

That's pretty cool.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You know that time where Owen Wilson put his old dog to sleep after a long and fulfilling life?

Owen Wilson is Sakurai.

Smash speculation is the Dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom