• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
On the earlier topic of Vergeben's sources possibly mistaking an Isaac AT for Matthew, I'm heavily skeptical of that being the case. However according to Vergeben's words, the source that erroneously claimed Isabelle was an Echo did so after seeing some footage of her and assuming from there with the similarities to Villager she had, without being knowledgeable enough to distinguish between an Echo and clear semi-clone. So considering that I suppose it's possible the sources that claimed an Isaac AT saw a golden spiky hair boy pushing people with a big hand and immediate made the assumption it was Isaac without distinguishing if it was Matthew first.

But then a Matthew AT would have to exist alongside playable Isaac in the first place for that to be a possibility, and I'm very doubtful that Sakurai would do that. However obviously Isaac's AT move wouldn't carry over to his playable form without being nerfed into pretty much an entirely different move, so it could be possible that Sakurai made Isaac playable yet found his old AT's function to be investing enough to bring back with a nigh-identical but technically different character while simultaneously giving a boost to Golden Sun's representation.

It's definitely not a prospect to get your hopes up over, but it might not be impossible.
Why do you doubt a Matthew AT if we get Isaac playable? I’m sure we’d get a Golden Sun AT if Isaac was revealed similar to how we got Alucard with Simon and Richter.

Plus Matthew could easily replace Isaac as the AT. They both can use the Move Psynergy.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Final Predictions before direct:
-opens with a character (obviously)
-ends with a character (obviously)
-Geno will be one of the new characters
-two final echo fighters are revealed being Shadow and Ken. They try and end off echoes with a bang by revealing two high profile third party choices.
-Spirit mode is fully revealed and we learn a lot about it (obviously)
-All-Star mode is here and it is similar to the melee version where each character has their own stage and you fight them one by one but it still has some kind of new twist
-Stadium events are shown off, we get to see home-run contest, multi-man melee, the return of break the targets, the return of board the platforms, and boss battles.
-Speaking of bosses, they are indeed a major part of spirit mode.
-Smash Tour, Special Orders, and unfortunately Smash Run are gone, though Spirit mode will do a lot of the things Smash Run did but better.
-Coin battles are back.
-Trophies are back, the trophy gallery has a new twist, the trophy shop has a few new functionalities, and trophy rush is back.
-Stage creator is back and is basically a better version of the one from Brawl though there will still be complaints with it.

Thar's all I have right now, can't wait to see what is right and what is wrong!

Edit: Of course online is here as well! Can't believe I forgot that.

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Thank god the direct lands at my free period. I can watch it without having to worry!

The contents of the direct on the other hand...

I’m still rooting for you Incineroar!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
People loving the idea of a potential Beware the Forest's Mushrooms remix, meanwhile I'm over here hoping for a Down the Wine River remix.

Or Fight Against Monsters

Or The Road is STILL Full of Dangers.

Gah I love SMRPG's soundtrack.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If Mach Rider's in and the trailer doesn't include a race with Link riding the Master Cycle Zero and Mario/co. in their respective bikes, what's the point of having Mach Rider at all?
:ultfalcon:
you know he has a racing game right

Shroob

Sup?
Alright, so let's.... brainstorm here:

Let's theorize that, sure, Verg's source actually DID mistake Matthew for Isaac and we are indeed getting Isaac with a Matthew AT.

I still find it completely illogical that everything Verg said minus Incineroar would be coming true. This just seems ridiculous.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
I suppose my Transformers fanboy is following the wise words of Shockwave: “Clarity of thought before rashness of action.”
Man of Culture.jpg

On a more serious note, I'd honestly be kind of sad if the Grinch Leak was fake since, as much as I want Incineroar, I've grown attached to the idea of Mach Rider being in Smash. They could even give them male and female costumes to satisfy both sides of the debate.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ok I am just gonna say a few things now.

Direct will be longer than 40 minutes. Not too much longer, but say around 3-5 more minutes. This is not rocket science, Nintendo does this all the time. Pretty much every direct runs a good bit longer. The 9/13 Direct was said to be 35 minutes, it was over 38. Do not expect it to be too much longer than 40 but at least 3 minutes longer.

Spirits and Online will be the main focuses aside from Characters. Expect All Star, Event Mode, Stadium, and the Vault to take up a small amount of time. I am going to say

There will be another assist trophy and pokeball montage. Short but around 4 minutes.

Here is my estimated timetable (Full Grinch)

0:00 Reveal 1
~2:50 Sakurai says high, brief character description
3:50 Stage
4:40 Assist Trophy
5:20 Assist Trophy Montage
7:40 Pokeball Montage
8:40 Reveal 2
11:40 Spirits lead in
18:30 Reveal 3
21:50 Reveal 3 and 2 elaboration
23:50 Stages
25:30 Online
30:20 Reveal 4
33:10 Breakdown, includes stage
35:20 Echos
37:30 Vault etc
40:40 Sentimental discussion
42:20 Final Reveal
45:40 Mural

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Let's theorize that, sure, Verg's source actually DID mistake Matthew for Isaac and we are indeed getting Isaac with a Matthew AT.

I still find it completely illogical that everything Verg said minus Incineroar would be coming true. This just seems ridiculous.
Minecraft content may be false, though, assuming what Mystic said is true.

oof.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm still gonna bet that we're all wrong and it's either Decidueye or Steve. :seuss:

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
I'm more inclined to believe that Verg is just lying about Isaac than his source mistook him as an AT.

It's plausible that insiders are playing the "heel" and hyping up the leak to be fake just to make the actual outcome (that it's real) be that more surprising.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
My final predictions for tomorrow

-Opens with Banjo-Kazooie.
-Goes over Banjo, Mumbo AT, Spiral Mountain stage, Grunty Boss, Rare Music
-Minecraft Stage and Creeper AT
-Two more echoes: Ken and Shadow
-Online Mode: Tournaments and Ranked
-Spirits Mode: what is it, some bosses, levels, and how to unlock characters
-3 cgi-less trailers for Isaac, Chorus Kids, and Mach Rider —> all 3 gets stages
-Sakurai says goodbye
-One more suprise, it’s Geno
-Mural is updated

Shroob

Sup?
Minecraft content may be false, though, assuming what Mystic said is true.

oof.
By this train of logic, if Verg's 'source' mistook Matthew for Isaac, I'm starting to think he mistook "Minecraft" as something else, unless there is indeed a Creeper AT.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I'm more inclined to believe that Verg is just lying about Isaac than his source mistook him as an AT.

It's plausible that insiders are playing the "heel" and hyping up the leak to be fake just to make the actual outcome (that it's real) be that more surprising.
Again, and ruin their credibility in the process when said credibility is kind of what their position as insiders/leakers lives and dies on?

Verg especially wouldn't have a reason to do that, it's not like he has nothing to loose, he's far from just a Smash leaker

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Why do you doubt a Matthew AT if we get Isaac playable? I’m sure we’d get a Golden Sun AT if Isaac was revealed similar to how we got Alucard with Simon and Richter.

Plus Matthew could easily replace Isaac as the AT. They both can use the Move Psynergy.
I figure if Sakurai wanted to do a Golden Sun AT alongside Isaac he would go for something a bit more distinguishing/a bit less redundant, and there is certainly the argument that it would be difficult for players to distinguish the AT Matthew from the playable Isaac in the heat of battle. It really depends on if Sakurai thinks Isaac's old AT function is worthwhile enough to bring back instead of making an entirely new AT (or if it's easy enough developmentally to just throw it in).

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

The only way him and grinch leak agree is if Incineroar is DLC or cut, basically it. Thats....if its real. God I wanna know already.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Tommorow

Elma

Sora

Inceneroar

Echoes

Ken

Sora echo probs roxas

5 stages

Geno 7 Pokemon

Xenoblade x

Kingdom hearts

Minecraft stage

5th stage kirby? Maybe another new franchise

If we get a 4th unique character Dante and dmc gets a stage

Doubt it though

Untouch

Smash Master
By this train of logic, if Verg's 'source' mistook Matthew for Isaac, I'm starting to think he mistook "Minecraft" as something else, unless there is indeed a Creeper AT.
If the Minecraft stage ends up being a Dragon Quest Builders stage I'll be smug about calling that.

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
Well guys, it has been quite a ride. Looking forward to the final roster, spirits mode and so much more.

Also PLEASE Nintendo give us a ranked mode.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Imagine the direct starting off like this...
We hear the sounds of a motorcycle running and the ambience of the desert. We then hear some generic buttrock play. We see it a flash of blue fills the screen as we see the back of somebody, however all isn’t right as we pan up...

That person is actually sans...

Shroob

Sup?
Like, let's theorize here(I don't think Verg is legit but I will for this thought process):

All Verg's predicted

A potential Creeper Assist if Banjo is in

Matthew as an AT

And Incineroar's the odd one out here? That just seems really, really weird.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
TBF Verg said Minecraft "content"

Who KNOWS what exactly his source saw or heard about, but I doubt it was anything as concrete as a stage or AT as even they don't seem to know what it was

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
What if they just decide to open with a new "Everyone is Here!" trailer but this time there are new characters in there. It would remind of how SFV:AE revealed all the Season 3 characters.

If I remember correctly, they didn't actually show the characters in order. They would just show a random character and their number. So imagine the new trailer being like "#61: Cloud" and then randomly "#71: Banjo & Kazooie" -- assuming they are a character.

I know people like CG reveals, and that's cool, but I feel like this would be hype also. Of course they would show gameplay and the updated mural afterwards.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Imagine the direct starting off like this...
We hear the sounds of a motorcycle running and the ambience of the desert. We then hear some generic buttrock play. We see it a flash of blue fills the screen as we see the back of somebody, however all isn’t right as we pan up...

That person is actually sans...
Forget Sans.

Susie is the new hotness.

Isabelle didn’t either
Isabelle's trailer was cg, it was just styled like an Animal Crossing game.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I figure if Sakurai wanted to do a Golden Sun AT alongside Isaac he would go for something a bit more distinguishing/a bit less redundant, and there is certainly the argument that it would be difficult for players to distinguish the AT Matthew from the playable Isaac in the heat of battle. It really depends on if Sakurai thinks Isaac's old AT function is worthwhile enough to bring back instead of making an entirely new AT (or if it's easy enough developmentally to just throw it in).
Well even if he doesn’t want the trophy to function the same I still think Matthew is a likely candidate being the protagonist of the third game. But I could see him going with Felix or Mia instead.

I’m just saying I could see a Matthew AT confusing inside sources on Isaac being playable. It’s most likely this isn’t the case like you said, just an idea of why some leakers can’t seem to agree on Isaac’s status.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Like, let's theorize here(I don't think Verg is legit but I will for this thought process):

All Verg's predicted

A potential Creeper Assist if Banjo is in

Matthew as an AT

And Incineroar's the odd one out here? That just seems really, really weird.
For Verg and Grinch to coexist:

Matthew would have to be an AT while Isaac is playable and they mistook the two
Minecraft gets representation of some form that even Verg isn't 100% certain on
Incineroar is either the missing character from the banner or he's DLC

Who's excited for just Ken and Incineroar to be revealed tomorrow?
Followed by Sakurai saying "Also we have no planned DLC for this game, that's it, goodbye and please understand"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom