• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kylexv

Smash Master
I'm probably going to split before the next blog post just in case Nintendo screws up with it again (last time it wasn't as big of a deal since many believed Simon was in the game at that point). I'll leave you with this:

Imagine a courtroom. The leaker stands trial for leaking the roster for the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Masahiro Sakurai leads the trial, knowing full well the truth, but is willing to hear what each side says. To his left, the Grinch (the prosecutor), who claims that it is indeed the truth that the leaker leaked the roster. To his right, Incineroar (the defendant), instead proposing that the roster leak is all an elaborate hoax. The trial proceeds through 8 agonizing court days, with each day having each side on cutthroat offence against the other. While the Grinch hurls Occam's Razor and the likelihood of the leak being accidental, additionally pointing out the fine details, Incineroar has many trustworthy witnesses on his side that attest that it is a hoax. Sakurai, tired of seeing both sides being hostile to each other for just over a week, decides the reveal the truth to everyone in the room. He states:

"Both sides have both brought up well constructed arguments and evidence. I'm sure it's very hard for the jury to decide who is telling the truth. However, I have the truth myself. I have prepared a video presentation for everyone to watch. Very soon, this will reveal the truth to you all."

As Sakurai starts to play the video presentation, the words "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct: November 1st, 2018" appear on screen. Both sides appear uncomfortable in their seats as the video begins with a character reveal...

The day of reckoning has come.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
We still arguing over the Grinch Leak when it's gonna be BTFO or BTF-In in less than 24 hours
tbh really no point in arguing over it now

can't be effectively debunked, can't be effectively proven legitimate

saying it's a definite fake is false, while also saying it's a definite real is false

in the matter of ~14 hours, we'll know the truth

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I've seen several other people do it, so here's my ever-chaning top 10 most wanted left: (Good luck everyone!)

1. Balloon Fighter
2. Mach Rider
3. Dixie Kong
4. Saki Amamiya
5. Skull Kid
6. Black Shadow
7. Heracross
8. Excitebiker
9. Kat and Ana
10. Micaiah
Balloon fighter.... at least SOMEONE on this forum has culture...

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
6EAE7A08-83CA-427C-8920-10C08C4A9626.gif

Friendly reminder, the longest smash direct was Smash 4’s April 2014 direct, the one where we got general information and Greninja.
It’s 39 minutes long

That’s means the Final Super Smash Bros Ultimate Direct has the potential to be the longest Smash Direct period.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
aaaaaand we're back to dismissing the grinch leak bc "blurry and the bomberman/wario picture"

nice
The Grinch will have the last laugh my friend, we'll just sip on this darkness and watch this play out in a few hours.
GOO.gif

And if it's fake i'll eat so much crow, the species will be endangered.

Sleeps with Butterflies

Smash Apprentice
Alright, who missed me?

A whole lot of nobody. I moved to Georgia, got a job, started an Etsy store for my art...if anyone cares.

Anyway...I hope the Grinch Leak is real, only because Banjo would quite literally make me the happiest dragon in the land. Other than that...I'm still happy with Young Link.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Well, I don't think I've seen a singular post combining all of why people think it's real, so I wanna at least help out in that regard to show why people believe it and a few aspects about the whole situation.

I mean, I'm glad I was the info broker during the last SpawnCast, but trying to make a gigantic, long post with links and everything... I think it should be done, at the very least.
People have made these posts or linked to articles again.

At this point, nothing is going to convince any of the non-believers, speaking as one.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Well, I don't think I've seen a singular post combining all of why people think it's real, so I wanna at least help out in that regard to show why people believe it and a few aspects about the whole situation.

I mean, I'm glad I was the info broker during the last SpawnCast, but trying to make a gigantic, long post with links and everything... I think it should be done, at the very least.
I demand patronage in the form of a needlessly thorough pre-post-mortem on this past week's happenstances.

Preferably on or around page 6969.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
View attachment 174237
Friendly reminder, the longest smash direct was Smash 4’s April 2014 direct, the one where we got general information and Greninja.
It’s 39 minutes long

That’s means the Final Super Smash Bros Ultimate Direct has the potential to be the longest Smash Direct period.
yes

oh and before team fake throws this as a arguement

we had way less info on smash 4 at the time and the period of wait was tramendously long

still rediciously likely we will end up with atleast 4-5 or the grinch leak characters in this direct

Last edited:

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Hello everyone! I have been working in the gaming industry since 2013. I’ve worked in marketing and reporting with companies such as The Pokémon Company International, Nintendo of America, Curse Inc. and countless digital news organizations. I'm using my experience I have acquired in the industry to compose this post. I wanted to share as much of an articulate perspective on the recent leak as I could produce, and here it is!

I have been maintaining that, in my personal opinion and research, that the leak is a hoax. However, I am not basing this on any insider information or other leaker, including Verge. Furthermore, I am disappointed in the actions of my peers in the gaming industry only arguing on a platform based on inside sources, regardless of who or where they've originated. Doing so is not conducive to debate, especially if the goal is to convince the opposing side that you are correct based solely on evidence they too can have access to. Even taking their positions into account, I should still have to argue against the leak using evidence in regards to the leak. I hate to compare it to court, but even if we KNOW somebody did a crime, we still have to prove it. In that regards, I have reasonable doubt to its legitimacy is all, and that's enough for me. It's not enough for other people, and that's okay. I will be the first to admit if I'm wrong and the last to say if I'm right. Again, this is entirely an opinion of my own and I'm not looking to argue or change anybody else's opinion or views on the matter. I only want to help people come to their own educated conclusion while combating misinformation.

Let's start with what I believe to be physical evidence.

The blurriness of the image is not an issue for me to discuss.

To begin, the background is different. Yes, it can be argued that this is due to a lower quality image being used for printing and other reasons, and that may very well be the case. However, we now know what the blank background looks like. I personally do not believe that the background would be changed for this purpose. I think the background was created first and that it hasn't been touched since. I've heard multiple conflicting points on this, and would enjoy being correct if I am mistaken. As Artsi Omni has shown, the images shown can not only be created, but also the assets already available can be moved.

We initially believed Eric to be employed by Marina, a company publicly known to work with both Namco Bandai and Universal. However, upon learning that he is no longer employed there, we do not know the same of his current company. That said, we have not received any statements from his current company invalidating the leak.

The promo artwork for the Grinch movie, I believe, has been combined with different custom assets to give the illusion of being legitimate. On the other hand, I've also heard mixed reports on if the material has already been available in the wild. I believe this could be the point to make or break the leak, but at the time, it's still up in the air.

Now for that which isn't evidence but is opinion.

My only major thing I want to bring up is time. You yourself admit that all the leaker needs is time to do all of this. I agree with you there. HOWEVER, my only concern is how can the leaker have that much time on their hands? Assuming the leaker has a normal life, how could they find a random 4chan leak that's new even an OP, do all of these renders, a new Battlefield, put all the fighters on said Battlefield, while also shifting around everything to make it work, design a chandelier and set up instructions, create Grinch promo art, get access to a printer, print the blueprints and brackets without getting caught, create a believable workspace, AND find a scapegoat employee that works there to use to the Snapchat amount of to send it to a friend, who is not guaranteed to spread the leak? I find that particular aspect of it very hard to believe.
THE 6r makes a great point, and I agree that it does take a lot into consideration for somebody to have produced such a paper trail, but it appears as though just a little bit of everything is sprinkled here. It comes across as purposeful to me. It is definitely a longshot story. I'm a history major and while in university, my first professor opened his first class by saying "Nothing in history has ever happened until it did." I think it fits here if the leak is a hoax. Nothing this grand and spectacular had been done, until it now it had. I think people underestimate the talent and patience of people.

It is a fact that a video presenting the appearance of his current job location was available by an associated bank was taken down. While this could be used in favor of the leak, I believe this is due wanting to remove negative attention they may have gotten from Super Smash Bros. fans.

People keep bringing up Incineroar's inclusion. I've seen many people argue that Incineroar could have been used as leakbait. Of course, this is a method employed in the gaming industry. My only counter to this is that I don't believe The Pokémon Company International, with whom I have worked professionally since 2014, would allow its IP to be used as such. This company may be equally owned by Game Freak, Creatures Inc, and Nintendo but independently decides on the IP usage of the franchise. Even toward Nintendo, TPCi can be restrictive. Examples include Pikachu not being allowed to be any other color than a shade of yellow, voices in Mario Maker and limited official image uses. Either Incineroar is either in or out and was not used as leakbait either way. I honestly would prefer us not get him anyway.

With about a month from release, I find it difficult to believe that seven, nearly half of the newcomer roster, would be revealed in such a short time frame. Again, this is only conjecture. Beyond this, we typically don't end Smash news cycles with huge character reveals. Brawl had Pikmin and Olimar and Smash 4 essentially had Shulk. Of course, this is up for debate and is, in my opinion, my weakest point. I am a pessimist and believe that we will get two more character revealed. However, I dislike making such predictions and love being wrong. I hate to admit it, but I do partially believe in what is called "box theory" but mainly from a marketing perspective.

Again, I could very well be wrong, and let's be honest, you've most certainly heard all of this before. I would love for Isaac to be in the game as well as all other characters present in the Grinch leak. However, I personally believe the Grinch leak is a hoax. At best, this is Schrodinger's Leak, both real and fake until proven definitively by the Direct. I have enough of a reasonable doubt towards its legitimacy. I'm sorry if this isn't enough of an answer or convincing, but in my mind, it makes sense. This is nothing against people who believe in it nor am I saying my opinion is gospel and if you disagree you are wrong. We don't know everything yet, and I think that's what's most exciting. Real or not, we don't know what's going to be in the direct or how it will be presented. I think if we took a step back to appreciate that, we can all enjoy the ride together. Feel free to send me any questions, concerns or objections and I’ll do my best to reply accordingly!

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
View attachment 174237
It’s 39 minutes long

It also revealed 4 veterans, which we don't have to worry about this time...

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Alright, who missed me?

A whole lot of nobody. I moved to Georgia, got a job, started an Etsy store for my art...if anyone cares.

Anyway...I hope the Grinch Leak is real, only because Banjo would quite literally make me the happiest dragon in the land. Other than that...I'm still happy with Young Link.
Oh wow, nice! :)

I do care, so don't worry about that.

Last edited:

Starbound

God, I know I won't wake up for it if I sleep tonight, but I also know I'll spoil myself and go to the official site instead of the Direct tab I have bookmarked.

Tonight's gonna be looooooooooong.
Get an alarm 5 minutes before
and 10 minutes before
and 15 minutes before
and 20 minutes before
and 25 minutes before
and 30 minutes before
and 35 minutes before
and you get the idea

You'll never actually sleep

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
yes

oh and before team fake throws this as a arguement

we had way less info on smash 4 at the time and the period of wait was tramendously long

still rediciously likely we will end up with atleast 4-5 or the grinch leak characters in this direct
plus Yoshi, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus. and Charizard were shown as veterans.

so that's still technically five characters revealed.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm expecting Vergeben's leak, plus a lot of focus on Spirits and other modes (since Smash 4 was severely lacking in terms of single player content), though I'm hoping for the Grinch leak.

Either way, this is an incredible roster, and anything else is icing on the cake.

Calane

Smash Ace
To the people who are saying that Matthew is an AT while Isaac is playable, that just doesn't make sense. They look so much alike that, if they actually went through all the trouble to give Matthew a model, they might as well just make him an alt of Isaac. There's literally no good reason not to at that point.

If you're going to tell me that they'd make Matt the AT to take over for what Isaac used to do, then I have to remind you guys that Felix exists. He can also use "Move", you know. I just don't see the logic in making Matt the AT when you could just use Felix (who looks far more visually different from Isaac than Matthew does, but could serve the same purpose). I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it'd certainly be a weird choice.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Isaac to be an Assist Trophy. I just don't think Matthew taking his place makes very much sense.

D

Deleted member

People have made these posts or linked to articles again.

At this point, nothing is going to convince any of the non-believers, speaking as one.
Which makes me sad, because honestly, I feel there's so much evidence that gets lost in the grapevines, such as the MGSV reference, the Villager's net @ Chorus Kids, the connections with the CSS, My Music and Stage Selection Screen.

I wanna compile it all into one post, but I don't know if it'll do anything. :/

Starbound

Which makes me sad, because honestly, I feel there's so much evidence that gets lost in the grapevines, such as the MGSV reference, the Villager's net @ Chorus Kids, the connections with the CSS, My Music and Stage Selection Screen.

I wanna compile it all into one post, but I don't know if it'll do anything. :/
At this point, the only thing that will change anything is if the actual contents of the direct leak

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So has there been any recent events or is everyone just comfy-cozy for the Direct tomorrow morning? I've been meaning to make a long post as to why I think the Grinch Leak is real with all the evidence that's been laid out, but... I feel like it might be too late with the Direct in almost 13 hours.

Honestly, its all over in soon anyway. Either its true or not right. If right, it will be the most ridiculous base rosters in the history of fighting games. If its not, we still are getting 3 or more character announcements tomorrow anyway, and the roster is STILL one of the most ridiculous base rosters ever.

While I'm hoping its real, I'm more hoping that it doesn't deconfirm any of the 7 by ATs at least, so that way, the hope is still alive by DLC if anything. If it does, it still doesn't matter, this ****ing roster is already nuts.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
At this point, the only thing that will change anything is if the actual contents of the direct leak
I might keep watch on 4chan in case it does leak like how the Switch Presentation and E3 2018 contents were leaked.

But I’m not expecting any of it to be real.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Alright, who missed me?

Georgia? Like in America? That's where I'm from!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
If the leak turns out to be true, then alright; if it doesn’t happen to be true whatsoever, I’d like to see a fully detailed video of how the leaker put it all together and steps they took to make it look convincing.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
People keep bringing up Incineroar's inclusion. I've seen many people argue that Incineroar could have been used as leakbait. Of course, this is a method employed in the gaming industry. My only counter to this is that I don't believe The Pokémon Company International, with whom I have worked professionally since 2014, would allow its IP to be used as such. This company may be equally owned by Game Freak, Creatures Inc, and Nintendo but independently decides on the IP usage of the franchise. Even toward Nintendo, TPCi can be restrictive. Examples include Pikachu not being allowed to be any other color than a shade of yellow, voices in Mario Maker and limited official image uses. Either Incineroar is either in or out and was not used as leakbait either way. I honestly would prefer us not get him anyway.
If the Grinch leak is real Incineroar was probably cut not leakbait

Anyways, hope y'all had a merry Spooky Scary Day.

It's ****ing crazy. We're gonna know everything not even 24 hours from now. I... I can't belive it.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
aaaaaand we're back to dismissing the grinch leak bc "blurry and the bomberman/wario picture"

nice
Someone should ask the Bomberman/wario guy if he's willing to make 6 more of those with unique actions, shift every single character on the banner as a result to realistically add them into place, add new art for all of the displacements because oh well no assets available, place the banner on autocad printed material, accidently leak it on snapchat with poor quality so nobody can appreciate all of your hard work, impersonate an employee at an advertisement company, and tediously plan around stupid coincidences like the Grinch posters being handed out at Nintendo conventions or the company you are setting up removing their promotional video via their bank on a sunday.....and the list goes ****ing on.

Maybe he'll totally say yes. "Simple passion project" he'll say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom