• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naiko3232

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone! I have been working in the gaming industry since 2013. I’ve worked in marketing and reporting with companies such as The Pokémon Company International, Nintendo of America, Curse Inc. and countless digital news organizations. I'm using my experience I have acquired in the industry to compose this post. I wanted to share as much of an articulate perspective on the recent leak as I could produce, and here it is!

I have been maintaining that, in my personal opinion and research, that the leak is a hoax. However, I am not basing this on any insider information or other leaker, including Verge. Furthermore, I am disappointed in the actions of my peers in the gaming industry only arguing on a platform based on inside sources, regardless of who or where they've originated. Doing so is not conducive to debate, especially if the goal is to convince the opposing side that you are correct based solely on evidence they too can have access to. Even taking their positions into account, I should still have to argue against the leak using evidence in regards to the leak. I hate to compare it to court, but even if we KNOW somebody did a crime, we still have to prove it. In that regards, I have reasonable doubt to its legitimacy is all, and that's enough for me. It's not enough for other people, and that's okay. I will be the first to admit if I'm wrong and the last to say if I'm right. Again, this is entirely an opinion of my own and I'm not looking to argue or change anybody else's opinion or views on the matter. I only want to help people come to their own educated conclusion while combating misinformation.

Let's start with what I believe to be physical evidence.

The blurriness of the image is not an issue for me to discuss.

To begin, the background is different. Yes, it can be argued that this is due to a lower quality image being used for printing and other reasons, and that may very well be the case. However, we now know what the blank background looks like. I personally do not believe that the background would be changed for this purpose. I think the background was created first and that it hasn't been touched since. I've heard multiple conflicting points on this, and would enjoy being correct if I am mistaken. As Artsi Omni has shown, the images shown can not only be created, but also the assets already available can be moved.

We initially believed Eric to be employed by Marina, a company publicly known to work with both Namco Bandai and Universal. However, upon learning that he is no longer employed there, we do not know the same of his current company. That said, we have not received any statements from his current company invalidating the leak.

The promo artwork for the Grinch movie, I believe, has been combined with different custom assets to give the illusion of being legitimate. On the other hand, I've also heard mixed reports on if the material has already been available in the wild. I believe this could be the point to make or break the leak, but at the time, it's still up in the air.

Now for that which isn't evidence but is opinion.

THE 6r makes a great point, and I agree that it does take a lot into consideration for somebody to have produced such a paper trail, but it appears as though just a little bit of everything is sprinkled here. It comes across as purposeful to me. It is definitely a longshot story. I'm a history major and while in university, my first professor opened his first class by saying "Nothing in history has ever happened until it did." I think it fits here if the leak is a hoax. Nothing this grand and spectacular had been done, until it now it had. I think people underestimate the talent and patience of people.

It is a fact that a video presenting the appearance of his current job location was available by an associated bank was taken down. While this could be used in favor of the leak, I believe this is due wanting to remove negative attention they may have gotten from Super Smash Bros. fans.

People keep bringing up Incineroar's inclusion. I've seen many people argue that Incineroar could have been used as leakbait. Of course, this is a method employed in the gaming industry. My only counter to this is that I don't believe The Pokémon Company International, with whom I have worked professionally since 2014, would allow its IP to be used as such. This company may be equally owned by Game Freak, Creatures Inc, and Nintendo but independently decides on the IP usage of the franchise. Even toward Nintendo, TPCi can be restrictive. Examples include Pikachu not being allowed to be any other color than a shade of yellow, voices in Mario Maker and limited official image uses. Either Incineroar is either in or out and was not used as leakbait either way. I honestly would prefer us not get him anyway.

With about a month from release, I find it difficult to believe that seven, nearly half of the newcomer roster, would be revealed in such a short time frame. Again, this is only conjecture. Beyond this, we typically don't end Smash news cycles with huge character reveals. Brawl had Pikmin and Olimar and Smash 4 essentially had Shulk. Of course, this is up for debate and is, in my opinion, my weakest point. I am a pessimist and believe that we will get two more character revealed. However, I dislike making such predictions and love being wrong. I hate to admit it, but I do partially believe in what is called "box theory" but mainly from a marketing perspective.

Again, I could very well be wrong, and let's be honest, you've most certainly heard all of this before. I would love for Isaac to be in the game as well as all other characters present in the Grinch leak. However, I personally believe the Grinch leak is a hoax. At best, this is Schrodinger's Leak, both real and fake until proven definitively by the Direct. I have enough of a reasonable doubt towards its legitimacy. I'm sorry if this isn't enough of an answer or convincing, but in my mind, it makes sense. This is nothing against people who believe in it nor am I saying my opinion is gospel and if you disagree you are wrong. We don't know everything yet, and I think that's what's most exciting. Real or not, we don't know what's going to be in the direct or how it will be presented. I think if we took a step back to appreciate that, we can all enjoy the ride together. Feel free to send me any questions, concerns or objections and I’ll do my best to reply accordingly!
You're doing GOD's work, great insights.

NineS

Smash Lord
Alright, who missed me?

A whole lot of nobody. I moved to Georgia, got a job, started an Etsy store for my art...if anyone cares.

Anyway...I hope the Grinch Leak is real, only because Banjo would quite literally make me the happiest dragon in the land. Other than that...I'm still happy with Young Link.
Ah yes, you.. I remember you..
You're...
You're...

Did you happen to disappear before the 18th of September? Because I do not recognize you.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm just here, waiting to see if the Music post was pushed to today.

If it isn't, then i'm FULLY expecting a new series tomorrow.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Regardless of what gets shown off in tomorrow's direct, I know it's going to be a great time. Knowing the entire roster (plus the banner in full), what Spirits Mode really is, the fate of trophies (whether in the game or replaced with something else entirely new, that would be wild), online functionality... all this and so much more has the potential to make for an awesome last send-off of information before Ultimate's release.

Not only that, I'm really looking forward to Ultimate's segment in Treehouse Live for certain though, as I feel that is where we will get a good look at new gameplay for veterans that weren't in the E3 demo build and all the newcomers. I'm hoping we'll get at least an hour's worth of footage to be able to dissect and analyze, so we can figure out just what's changed for all the vets and how certain moves will work for the newcomers. Maybe even a glimpse into how Squad Strike works in action...

Even if none of my most wanted characters make it into Ultimate in base, I'll still be incredibly happy with what we have personally, as there's going to be so much content to dive into and just have fun with. The potential for DLC feels incredible to me, and I hope we can get some of our long-time wants and recent favorites through a healthy period of support. Ultimate truly feels like the ultimate Smash game to me as is, and I can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store for all of us.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh thanks for the double post internet. I love you too

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well 13 hours remaining.

Also just realise that this is the Ultimate Smash Ultimate direct. In the original usage of the term that is.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So it's midday (where I am), which means the blog will be updating soon.

I'd love a clue.

DW it's Klaptrap

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Bingo card:
Nov12018Smash.png

I usually lose these things anyway so might as well be a little wishlisty.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
We need to get Geno or Isaac in this Direct. How else can BestGuyEver conclude his trilogy of videos? You can't follow up "NO DREAM TOO BIG" and "LONG LIVE THE KING" with Incineroar, Dante, or whoever else people are believing is going to be the extent of newcomer characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh thanks for the double post internet. I love you too
Normally I just delete accidental double posts.

But this is too funny.

And now if I ever was interested in getting a Comic character in, Deadpool would be the choice. I blame having more than half of my gifts being Deadpool-related for my b-day~

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Hello everyone! I have been working in the gaming industry since 2013. I’ve worked in marketing and reporting with companies such as The Pokémon Company International, Nintendo of America, Curse Inc. and countless digital news organizations. I'm using my experience I have acquired in the industry to compose this post. I wanted to share as much of an articulate perspective on the recent leak as I could produce, and here it is!

I have been maintaining that, in my personal opinion and research, that the leak is a hoax. However, I am not basing this on any insider information or other leaker, including Verge. Furthermore, I am disappointed in the actions of my peers in the gaming industry only arguing on a platform based on inside sources, regardless of who or where they've originated. Doing so is not conducive to debate, especially if the goal is to convince the opposing side that you are correct based solely on evidence they too can have access to. Even taking their positions into account, I should still have to argue against the leak using evidence in regards to the leak. I hate to compare it to court, but even if we KNOW somebody did a crime, we still have to prove it. In that regards, I have reasonable doubt to its legitimacy is all, and that's enough for me. It's not enough for other people, and that's okay. I will be the first to admit if I'm wrong and the last to say if I'm right. Again, this is entirely an opinion of my own and I'm not looking to argue or change anybody else's opinion or views on the matter. I only want to help people come to their own educated conclusion while combating misinformation.

Let's start with what I believe to be physical evidence.

The blurriness of the image is not an issue for me to discuss.

To begin, the background is different. Yes, it can be argued that this is due to a lower quality image being used for printing and other reasons, and that may very well be the case. However, we now know what the blank background looks like. I personally do not believe that the background would be changed for this purpose. I think the background was created first and that it hasn't been touched since. I've heard multiple conflicting points on this, and would enjoy being correct if I am mistaken. As Artsi Omni has shown, the images shown can not only be created, but also the assets already available can be moved.

We initially believed Eric to be employed by Marina, a company publicly known to work with both Namco Bandai and Universal. However, upon learning that he is no longer employed there, we do not know the same of his current company. That said, we have not received any statements from his current company invalidating the leak.

The promo artwork for the Grinch movie, I believe, has been combined with different custom assets to give the illusion of being legitimate. On the other hand, I've also heard mixed reports on if the material has already been available in the wild. I believe this could be the point to make or break the leak, but at the time, it's still up in the air.

Now for that which isn't evidence but is opinion.

THE 6r makes a great point, and I agree that it does take a lot into consideration for somebody to have produced such a paper trail, but it appears as though just a little bit of everything is sprinkled here. It comes across as purposeful to me. It is definitely a longshot story. I'm a history major and while in university, my first professor opened his first class by saying "Nothing in history has ever happened until it did." I think it fits here if the leak is a hoax. Nothing this grand and spectacular had been done, until it now it had. I think people underestimate the talent and patience of people.

It is a fact that a video presenting the appearance of his current job location was available by an associated bank was taken down. While this could be used in favor of the leak, I believe this is due wanting to remove negative attention they may have gotten from Super Smash Bros. fans.

People keep bringing up Incineroar's inclusion. I've seen many people argue that Incineroar could have been used as leakbait. Of course, this is a method employed in the gaming industry. My only counter to this is that I don't believe The Pokémon Company International, with whom I have worked professionally since 2014, would allow its IP to be used as such. This company may be equally owned by Game Freak, Creatures Inc, and Nintendo but independently decides on the IP usage of the franchise. Even toward Nintendo, TPCi can be restrictive. Examples include Pikachu not being allowed to be any other color than a shade of yellow, voices in Mario Maker and limited official image uses. Either Incineroar is either in or out and was not used as leakbait either way. I honestly would prefer us not get him anyway.

With about a month from release, I find it difficult to believe that seven, nearly half of the newcomer roster, would be revealed in such a short time frame. Again, this is only conjecture. Beyond this, we typically don't end Smash news cycles with huge character reveals. Brawl had Pikmin and Olimar and Smash 4 essentially had Shulk. Of course, this is up for debate and is, in my opinion, my weakest point. I am a pessimist and believe that we will get two more character revealed. However, I dislike making such predictions and love being wrong. I hate to admit it, but I do partially believe in what is called "box theory" but mainly from a marketing perspective.

Again, I could very well be wrong, and let's be honest, you've most certainly heard all of this before. I would love for Isaac to be in the game as well as all other characters present in the Grinch leak. However, I personally believe the Grinch leak is a hoax. At best, this is Schrodinger's Leak, both real and fake until proven definitively by the Direct. I have enough of a reasonable doubt towards its legitimacy. I'm sorry if this isn't enough of an answer or convincing, but in my mind, it makes sense. This is nothing against people who believe in it nor am I saying my opinion is gospel and if you disagree you are wrong. We don't know everything yet, and I think that's what's most exciting. Real or not, we don't know what's going to be in the direct or how it will be presented. I think if we took a step back to appreciate that, we can all enjoy the ride together. Feel free to send me any questions, concerns or objections and I’ll do my best to reply accordingly!
One point i don't really get is the one that says that the grinch promo art in the leak is new.
As far as i'm aware it comes from these posters.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Above all else, I'm really excited to put an end to all the theories and speculation. At the very least, this direct will put a nail in the coffin.
...that we know of. This is definitely the last Smash Direct. However, there coukd be other info dropped between tomorrow and release day (similar to how Isabelle was shown during a general Direct)

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Normally I just delete accidental double posts.

But this is too funny.

And now if I ever was interested in getting a Comic character in, Deadpool would be the choice. I blame having more than half of my gifts being Deadpool-related for my b-day~
I would want Captain America in Smash if we got a comic book character. XD

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I can’t wait until tomorrow, my hype for the direct to see if the leak has the leak or what was true or fake.

I am waiting with anticipation.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
So, neat story. I’ve got candy near the door, like ya do, and I’m greeting the children in whatever idiotic way I can when this kid shows up in a blackout costume with one big white glove and a flashlight. The little dude is using the flashlight to illuminate his hand like it’s in a spotlight. When I asked what he was doing, he said he was being master hand.

I have him a huge handful of snickers because that was his favorite.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Welp. Here we goes lads.

Music is definitely a new series for me, or hinting at a newcomers. Time to get hyped.

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think skipping the music means anything, they probably just want to have 1 music post a week, they'll put it up tomorrow.
Also why the stage was early.

D

Deleted member

I will say this, at the very least, for tomorrow morning.
If I hear a second of new Super Mario RPG music, I swear I'm gonna react like how DJ Akademiks reacted to Drake being featured on AstroWorld.

(Language warning)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
We’re talking about Comic Characters getting in Smash? That’s my type of talk.

Put in the ****ing Sentry. You thought Bayo was scary but this brolic Superman-Lite ************ has killed Loki with one hit, and from my memory hasn’t even officially lost a fight due to actual dominance. He beat the **** outta the Hulk and only lost because he let him win. The Void is probably the most demented ass comic characters of all time because he’s literally limitless. Like you hear that term thrown around A LOT in comics, but the majority of Marvel actively fear The Void, and The Void is apart of Sentry. So they view Sentry as an OMEGA LEVEL THREAT.

**** it, Sentry for Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom