• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
I have a question don’t every third party character gets atleast one AT? If that’s the case why would Sonic even get two ATs. If there are suppose to be multiple characters as ATs in the leaked banner

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
You'll have to excuse me, as I said earlier, I'm not that big of a Sonic fan. I play the games but not all and not that into the lore. We were talking why Tails wasn't in demand as much as Shadow. I guess Sonic fans didn't want to get greedy.. maybe?
No need to apologize, I myself was confused over the Banjo hype until recently. Shadow's similarities to Sonic mean he can easily be built off of him with a different flair to his playstyle, while Tails would require more work due to his different physique and abilities. Really just the fact that Shadow's fate is still completely up in the air this close to launch after two new AT promotions has gotten people excited/worried.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
It’s simple. Shadow would work better as a sonic echo than Tails. Shadow and Sonic have the same body structure the only thing that would be changes for Shadow is his animations and a different up B. Tails would have to be a unique or semi clone. Besides we don’t even know if third party franchises can get an another unique character rep.
Yeah, somone already said that to me. Thanks anyways :)

Boy, people are asking for seconds and we still didn't get our first and only demand. Our Mystical Ninja :/

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I see what you're saying, but I still believe it to be an apt comparison when arguing that a moveset can't be varied enough. Still, if we forget the comparison and solely look at Bomberman's gameplay constraints, he's got plenty of moveset potential.

Bomberman's games rely on powerups, much like Mario, Sonic, etc. that alter what he and his bombs can do. His special moves could be bomb-themed to varying degrees, while his basic attacks are just punching and kicking. Not that I'm rooting for Bomberman-- I simply think his more basic games are fun-- but I feel like people who claim he doesn't have moveset potential haven't really played Bomberman games. They just see "bomber" and "man" and think there's nothing else to it.
If you look at the moveset I came up with, he actually has quite a few gadgets. I focused on the Bomber Gear from Bomberman Hero because I grew up on that game, but Bomberman also has other stuff. Did you know he has access to motorcycles? Those are from Bomberman GB 3, which was only released in Japan. (A lot of Bomberman games have not been released in North America, which is another sore spot for me.)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
True but still really unlikely lol. Of course as someone who supports a relatively niche series I don't have much room to talk in that area.
Same here. I have characters and series (in my signature and profile picture) that I want in the game but will probably not happen

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm not even gonna go to bed on Halloween.

I wanna be here for when the madness unfolds.
Can I trust you to give me the details when the Direct happens? At this point, I just want to know what will have happened when I get home from school.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I have a question don’t every third party character gets atleast one AT? If that’s the case why would Sonic even get two ATs. If there are suppose to be multiple characters as ATs in the leaked banner
Ryu hasn't gotten an AT trophy yet.
I hope that if we do it's Chun-Li

D

Deleted member

I don't believe there's any character that can't have a moveset. "No moveset potential" is a fallacy because it was used with so many characters that were later confirmed. Just look at Pac-Man, someone that I genuinely believed this applied to.
A good reminder is that most character's moves are just how someone with that body type and weapon(if they have one) would fight like, then there's things such as personality that also affect how some moves are used. Duck Hunt is a good example of this in "how would a dog and a bird duo fight?" and Pac-Man's normals are simply "what would he do in this situation?"
It's not just all about referencing moves those characters did but those help, obviously. Sometimes references are weirder such as Pac-Man's Smashes and Specials or G&W's whooe moveset in that they aren't attacks used in the original games but elements turned into attacks.
Sometimes, there's a certain theme based on an aspect of the original game like WFT's "Yoga poses turned into attacks" or "what if ROB was a real robot?"

This isn't directed at you though, I just wanted to say it now that the subject was brought up as I get tired of seeing characters being shut down for "no moveset potential".
I’d disagree with the idea that a lack of moveset potential is a void argument against a character. While moveset potential is certainly not the be-all end-all for a character getting in, a lack of it is still a point gains it I’d argue. Not the main point, but something to back-up a character not getting in if you see what I mean. If I remember correctly, excitebiker wasn’t chosen for Melee as Sakurai could not a think of reasonable way for them to ascend vertically. While this was 17 years ago and Sakurai may have changed his opinions on things, it shows that in the past moveset potential has been something on sakurai’s mind.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Same, any kind of touhou representation would make me crazy
I agree, especially since Touhou is one of the biggest series in Japan right now, with almost 600,000 fan art pictures of it. I wouldn't be all that surprised if it got in the game

Last edited:

Ezegengar15

Smash Rookie
Sooooo, there is gonna be people here the day the direct starts....or EVERYONE is going to watch it alone :(

Last edited:

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Insiders are getting FAR too chatty now for my liking. I honestly am starting to believe some of it is for attention if they are talking this much about supposedly secret information.
Haven't been keeping up since the Direct was announced, what are they saying NOW? lmao

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Aw **** I'm still at work when the direct airs. Then again by the time I get my *** home and watch the direct, this place would probably be a lot calmer
I think this place has already gotten a lot calmer since it was announced earlier today. It's better than it was last night. lol

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
Aw **** I'm still at work when the direct airs. Then again by the time I get my *** home and watch the direct, this place would probably be a lot calmer
Don't count your chickens, we're gonna see something like this

**** VERGEBEN, WHERE'S ISAAC, WHERE'S BANJO, OH MY GOD GENO MADE IT IN etc etc

Iridium

Smash Hero
I still have a bad feeling some of us are going to get terribly disappointed. I'll await smiles and tears that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom