• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Mystic is the gift that keeps us going.

ALSO
>Another third party JPRG Characters (except if it's indeed Geno)

WE RIDE ON SQUARE-ENIX BOOOOOOY LEZ GO
[POUNDS TABLE] NEKU NEKU NEKU NEKU

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I try to respect most of the decisions the Smash team makes, even if I disagree with them.

But having Banjo and Kazooie as Assist Trophy would be incredibly tone-deaf, for lack of a better term. I can’t see it happening.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'd argue having Bomberman as an AT is incredibly bizarre already. But we got over that pretty quick after it was confirmed onscreen.

If B&K weren't initially part of the plan, but late in the game Phil Spencer & Co. approached Nintendo as part of their "make Xbox cool again" campaign they've been pushing, it's fully possible that they added them late as an AT. Would that satisfy their fans? Hell no. But it's plausible.
The bomber boy, who I've lowkey wanted since Brawl IIRC, was never as demanded on the scale B&K was.
But your point is still very valid. It makes sense.
You guys speak for yourselves. Bomberman has been my #1 most wanted since Brawl, and his deconfirmation is still a sore spot for me. Especially since it's looking likely that he's one of the strongest Assist Trophies, so demand for his promotion from that role is likely to be rather lackluster among casual players who aren't diehard Bomberman fans...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The bomber boy, who I've lowkey wanted since Brawl IIRC, was never as demanded on the scale B&K was.
But your point is still very valid. It makes sense.
It's just something to keep in mind. You're right. B&K >>>>> Bomberman in terms of both its fanbase's size and loudness. But within our echo chamber of extreme fans, we often forget that just because we're convinced something has to happen or can't happen doesn't mean it actually has to or won't. B&K being an AT would set off a Twitter campaign that would dwarf Waluigi's, IMO. But a Twitter war also isn't really taken into consideration when making these roster decisions, I assume.

Looking back on, say, Isaac being an AT before, it may have seemed like a total slap in the face at the time, but then it was simply accepted once it's seen. That's how hype cycles go.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I wonder if intern-kun is going to give us a clue again this direct.
Accidentally posts "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch". Thankfully, he can tell his bosses that the error wasn't bad as something as unrelated as that wouldn't spoil anything...

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I wonder if intern-kun is going to give us a clue again this direct.
didnt he get fired for spoiling that Simon would be in smash direct 8.8.18 by accidentally changing the song title to bloody tear?

Since that incident, I have feeling that nintendo is closely watching the interns just in case if they ****ed up by leaking some poteintal spoilers from final smash direct.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
So, speculation season is almost over. I might have said it before, but at this point, it doesn't matter so much to me whether the leak is real or fake. It brought me back into this community for a few hilarious days of reading all your posts. I know some of us have let things get a bit too heated, but thanks anyway, everyone.

And whoever they are, genuine or not, Mr Grinch deserves my thanks, too!

Now, in celebration of the Direct announcement, and inspired by certain artists in the thread, I'mma go draw a fusion of my two oddball dream Smash fighters and rebrand my profile.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
***** is a generally trusted insider who post on resetera (formerly neogaf). They’ve leaked thing such as watch dogs 2, Splatoon 2 and were one of the people teasing Ridley. Recently they’ve made several posts hinting at Phoenix in smash, which could mean something. Also for some reason he always signs his posts with “balls”, not really sure why.
Hmm.... wait. How come he's never come up in google searches regarding Phoenix Wright and Smash???? Does anyone have sources on this???

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
I’m falling apart as we speak. Currently typing with one arm, think my legs are next to go.

Speaking in regards to the Mystic "Better than the leak..." comment, I would like to present to all of you my [subjective] "better" roster additions:

Crash Bandicoot
Rayman
[Captain] Toad
Tails
Incineroar
Isaac
Geno

Fight me.

Just kidding, please don't.

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
***** is a generally trusted insider who post on resetera (formerly neogaf). They’ve leaked thing such as watch dogs 2, Splatoon 2 and were one of the people teasing Ridley. Recently they’ve made several posts hinting at Phoenix in smash, which could mean something. Also for some reason he always signs his posts with “balls”, not really sure why.
I might start doing that too.
-Balls

Chumpodile

Smash Journeyman
Heck it was probably easy as heck to fake. Maybe even easier to do real life components. You could totally print some paper for the cover, make a sticker for the switch cart and photoshop an existing Nintendo switch bag black and give it the Smash Bros logo
Wasn't that bag given away as a prize at the best buy event? Even easier to fake then.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Shadow is the most second popular character in the series, it's not entirely weird.
I always (and still) had the impression that Tails is the most second. I never witnessed Shadow being in the popularity spot until recently.. for Smash. I mean that princess felt more popular (forgot her name. only in comics).. Oh and Amy too, but never Shadow. Of course Knuckles too but he's already in, so I get why no one's asking for him now.

Untouch

Smash Master
I gotta say, it really frustrated me at first, but if the grinch "leak" didn't happen I would have gone into the direct just expecting Kencineroar, so I'm glad for that at least.
Still don't think it's real though. :reverse:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
What would you think if we got half the banner characters but we never got to see where they were on the mural?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
B&K had a big Ballot push, I'd guess.

Bomberman makes sense as an AT because...how many moves can you do to differentiate attacking with bombs? I'd say not many.
You haven't played many Bomberman games, my friend.

Also. I refuse to ever believe in a lack of moveset potential after we got :ultrob:, :ultduckhunt: and :ultwiifittrainer:. We simply don't have good enough imaginations.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
mystic has gone on to say he has nothing to do with Sora being in smash
I'm not to sure on that.

He's heard of 3 different JRPG characters being in.

That would likely be Issac, Geno, and likely Sora. Spawn wave says Sora is coming as DLC but perhaps he is actually in the base game.

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
Plot Twist: Banjo is out. Grunty is in, then you see her get turned into an assist trophy by Mumbo Jumbo who then ends up getting killed by the real Banjo Rep: The Ghost of Bottles

KingBroly

Smash Lord

Also. I refuse to ever believe in a lack of moveset potential after we got :ultrob:, :ultduckhunt: and :ultwiifittrainer:. We simply don't have good enough imaginations.
WFT's exercises into moves was brilliant

DH using the Zapper was necessary

ROB is just...well, I dunno about that one.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

There's a difference

Those 3 could have the creative movesets they did because they were not confined. They had not demonstrated their constraints moveset-wise in their games.

Bomberman has. Not saying I agree with it, saying that that isn't the best reason to use.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Eh **** it I'm sure with my luck Geno's the Assist Trophy

That's my belief now
I'm not a supporter of Geno but I believe that if he was in the game he'd be a playable character.

Of course there was also Krystal who Sakurai wanted in Brawl but added as an AT in Ultimate so who knows lol.
What would you think if we got half the banner characters but we never got to see where they were on the mural?
Trollurai right there for ya! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom