• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
There's not really that much left to choose from. Spring Man will probably be in it, as DLC or in the vanilla version. Rhythm Heaven as pretty popular franchise stands a pretty good chance but then again we don't know why there wasn't already a rep in Sm4sh. Thanks to the ballot, Isaac will be considered aswell. I think the other ones are very unlikely, since the other left series have either no fitting character (f.e. Art Academy, Style Savvy?), haven't sold that well lately (Project Zero, Fossil Fighters, Chibi Robo) or are pretty much dead (Custom Robo, Wars, Sin & Punishment, Starfy). Maybe Dillon and obviously the retro and wtf character like Takamaru and Labobot.
But FF has sold p well. FF1 for example was the 15th best selling game of that year and champions sold well as well. FF has sold a lot better than Project Zero and Chibi robo combined.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Predictions huh? My for sure guesses:

-Takamaru
-Ice Climbers
-Rex and Pyra
-2nd Namco Rep

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I was just thinking about how some people want characters that I look at and go "What? Why??", but I think that's a generational/age gap. Smash Bros was always about including All Stars, and important Nintendo characters. Someone like me who grew up in the late 80's early 90's looks at the roster and thinks "We pretty much have everyone", but we forget that current games are important too. So while I look at the Inklings (I don't enjoy Splatoon) I kinda go "Meh", but they're actually really big characters for Nintendo, and might end up being "classic" characters in 10 years. Pretty interesting. Personally, the only character I'd really want to see brought into Smash is Banjo. But I won't look down on you young'ens and your newfangled character requests :)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If I may, I'd like to propose a new poll for this thread in honor of the announcement that came today.

"With the announcement of the Smash Switch Invitational, do you think we'll see more news/gameplay before E3?"
It does seem kind of extreme that it looks like they will properly reveal the game in the Direct, and then later the same day we'll get to watch a tournament, it doesn't give us a whole lot of time to take everything in and let each piece of content shine. It'd be super exciting mind you, but it doesn't seem like a very Nintendo type of thing to do, they usually stretch things out more and let us breathe. You'd assume that the game is more than ready to be shown off aswell since a playable build is being prepared for less than in 3 months' time, and even if the game were to be shown off next month or so this pre-release period would still only last ~half as long as Smash 4's.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense for them to show us at least a proper reveal trailer before E3, and also get a website up and running, otherwise the character reveal schedule will be incredibly busy (or they'll just have to reveal 25 veterans at E3 or something).

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
But FF has sold p well. FF1 for example was the 15th best selling game of that year and champions sold well as well. FF has sold a lot better than Project Zero and Chibi robo combined.
Is Fossil Fighters all you can talk about? Like, do the devs of that series have a gun to your head telling you to only ever talk about them and their characters?

I understand supporting a character, but it seems like all you ever talk about is how the Fossil Fighter character has such a good chance and that there's no way they won't make it in.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Is Fossil Fighters all you can talk about? Like, do the devs of that series have a gun to your head telling you to only ever talk about them and their characters?

I understand supporting a character, but it seems like all you ever talk about is how the Fossil Fighter character has such a good chance and that there's no way they won't make it in.
I just like talking about them.
I mean I guess I can shut up about them if people want...
(I also understand they probably wont get in, but its not like there is much else to talk about rn)

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Between Ridley and K. Rool, I honestly feel like one of them HAS to get in this time.

Also, how do people feel about those who say Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt will be cut?

Also, some think Bowser Jr. may be cut because he was reportedly low priority and almost didn't make it in Sm4sh.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
(I also understand they probably wont get in, but its not like there is much else to talk about rn)
Nah, I'm not saying stop talking about them. Like I said, I get that you really wanna support your favorite character.

It's just weird how you continually talk about them like they're such an obvious choice for the roster.

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I'm not saying stop talking about them. Like I said, I get that you really wanna support your favorite character.

It's just weird how you continually talk about them like they're such an obvious choice for the roster.
They honestly feel that way to me. I can't really think of any reason as to why they wouldn't be in the roster other than being kind of niche.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I have a question that I'd like everyone to answer honestly.

I know a lot of people have wrote off the possibility of BotW or Odyssey getting a newcomer (mainly because they feel like there are better, more iconic options than Urbosa or Pauline), but I've concluded that there's a good chance we could get a character from either game just because of how ground-breaking each entry was for their respective franchise. I'm a little biased on this statement though, since I specifically support both Mipha and Pauline/Cappy.

So here's my question. Would you be genuinely upset if a Champion or Pauline/Cappy got in before someone more iconic/more requested like Impa/Skull Kid or Waluigi/Daisy, or would you welcome their addition because you understand how successful their game was?

(Edit: Doesn't matter if you think the character is likely. I just want to know if you'd be happy or upset with their inclusion.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm betting a Spring Direct for Smash with a big Villager comes to town type trailer and one newcomer

Staarih

Smash Master
But to think about it like this: which five Nintendo series do we think they will get a character first?
It's not a very big pool to choose from at this point. I mean, there are quite a few Nintendo series left but most of them are (sadly) pretty small and fading into obscurity. I'd honestly say the safest bets for new Nintendo series representation right now are Splatoon (duh) and whatever series a retro rep comes from (Takamaru?). Another solid bet would be a new 3rd party character and thus his/her series would also be represented, but that ain't Nintendo.

However, I personally think ARMS will indeed make it in Smash Switch, even if some think it might be too late. I also think Rhythm Heaven could get a character (and if it does, I'll be one happy man, being one of the few westerners who actually owns RH games and enjoys them lol). After that, I don't really know (my wishlist has Golden Sun though) - maybe they'll think forward/outside the box and really go for something like Labo, who knows.

If we're going to be getting characters from the last console generation, then hopefully Wonder Red has a chance! Despite not performing well in sales (because it was on the Wii U), it was really well-received, and his moveset practically writes itself.

I really, really want Wonder Red
I wouldn't mind it at all. I've lowkey waited for a W101 Switch port announcement (ever since the tease) since I've only heard good things about the game but never got around to playing it on the Wii U. If it ever comes to Switch, it would be day 1 purchase for me.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
There's not really that much left to choose from. Spring Man will probably be in it, as DLC or in the vanilla version. Rhythm Heaven as pretty popular franchise stands a pretty good chance but then again we don't know why there wasn't already a rep in Sm4sh. Thanks to the ballot, Isaac will be considered aswell. I think the other ones are very unlikely, since the other left series have either no fitting character (f.e. Art Academy, Style Savvy?), haven't sold that well lately (Project Zero, Fossil Fighters, Chibi Robo) or are pretty much dead (Custom Robo, Wars, Sin & Punishment, Starfy).
Man I wish Starfy was promoted from AT to playable...

Morbi

Scavenger

I know a lot of people have wrote off the possibility of BotW or Odyssey getting a newcomer (mainly because they feel like there are better, more iconic options than Urbosa or Pauline), but I've concluded that there's a good chance we could get a character from either game just because of how ground-breaking each entry was for their respective franchise. I'm a little biased on this statement though, since I specifically support both Mipha and Pauline/Cappy.

So here's my question. Would you be genuinely upset if a Champion or Pauline/Cappy got in before someone more iconic/more requested like Impa/Skull Kid or Waluigi/Daisy, or would you welcome their addition because you understand how successful their game was?
Again, as I stated before, this game is on the Switch for Switch owners, including Switch content makes a lot of sense. I would not be surprised if we got our first one off Zelda character (well, obviously not counting Sheik), or SOME reference to Odyssey. It might not be Odyssey exclusive, Captain Toad comes to mind. Or perhaps just Cappy in Mario's move-set. It is just hard to imagine, but the possibility is there.

As for if I would be upset, not at all. They are not my most wanted characters, by any stretch; however, I would not mind them.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm betting a Spring Direct for Smash with a big Villager comes to town type trailer and one newcomer
A Direct in April/May with some new character and gameplay would be just what Nintendo needs to really get everyone hype for E3. I mean, of course we're all excited now, but if we saw some gameplay before the invitational, we could know what to expect from the tournament, which would make us even more hyped.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would be really happy if Rhythm Heaven made it into Smash. One of the best Nintendo game series imo. Quite likely too, Japan likes the series. A Rhythm Heaven character was cut from Smash 4, wasn't it?

Morbi

Scavenger
A Direct in April/May with some new character and gameplay would be just what Nintendo needs to really get everyone hype for E3. I mean, of course we're all excited now, but if we saw some gameplay before the invitational, we could know what to expect from the tournament, which would make us even more hyped.
I am not entirely certain. Someone pointed out that the trailer has more views than the character reveal trailers outside of the announcement for Smash 4 at e3... But, at the same time, I am not really seeing a lot of online buzz outside of Smash circles and even then, this place is not nearly as lively as it was back then. Maybe it is part of the "too soon" effect, but I believe actual game-play would definitely drum up the hype and at this point, it seems a bit necessary to me.

Do not get me wrong, e3 would do the job, but in general you want people to be excited for the entire marketing period. Not just the big splash.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
How you dare saying so, we can talk about Fire Emblem YET AGAIN /s

To me it only makes sense to officially reveal the game (as in, gameplay trailer with a couple newcomers and such) before the E3 tournament, so I'd say it's likely to have it. Probably around May or a week before E3.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I am not entirely certain. Someone pointed out that the trailer has more views than the character reveal trailers outside of the announcement for Smash 4 at e3... But, at the same time, I am not really seeing a lot of online buzz outside of Smash circles and even then, this place is not nearly as lively as it was back then. Maybe it is part of the "too soon" effect, but I believe actual game-play would definitely drum up the hype and at this point, it seems a bit necessary to me.

Do not get me wrong, e3 would do the job, but in general you want people to be excited for the entire marketing period. Not just the big splash.
Oh yeah, you're definitely right. People were super excited to find out Smash was coming to the Switch, but at this point, if Nintendo wants that hype wave to really ride all the way to E3, they gotta give us some kind of gameplay to look at soon.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

To be fair? The problem is only one true newcomer was revealed. And not everyone is gonna care about Splatoon being in. I've legit seen more people talking about the changes to Link BoTW will bring on than Inklings.

Prior Smash reveals of recent years have all had multiple people revealed at once. There's just not much to talk about when all we known is Inklings and they pretty much give away what their playstyle is going to be by the nature of their game.

Morbi

Scavenger
Can't wait to see the veterans and how the game looks!
I might be looking forward to that more than the newcomers this time around. Will Fox be beauty or beast? Will Zelda get her BotW redesign as well? What are they going to do with Ganon? Does Mario use Cappy? Are there any more colors to add to Yoshi? What do the Ice Climbers look like ten years later? Is Samus going to suck again? These are the questions I want answered.

Oh, and I want to see how they handle the ink dive mechanic from Splatoon. It is important because I am likely going to main Inkling just because of the presumably zone-based play-style.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

(Edit: Doesn't matter if you think the character is likely. I just want to know if you'd be happy or upset with their inclusion.)
I haven't played The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wlild a lot, but I did like the Champions and would like their inclusion. My personal picks for which one should get in are Revali or Mipha.

As for Pauline? She's honestly one of my least wanted newcomers. Plenty of other Mario and Donkey Kong characters I want to see before her.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Crunched some rough numbers, and while A-Grade superstars are becoming less frequent (and leaning a bit on Third Parties), it's not like Smash is pulling characters out of its butt just yet. To describe Nintendo newcomers as "the bottom of the barrel" is pretty silly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super Smash Bros. Melee (6-6-2)

Series Rep / Headliner:
Obscure Series Rep / Supporting Character:
Unlikely Series Rep:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (10-7-1)

Series Rep / Headliner:

Unlikely Series Rep:

Super Smash Bros. (Wii U and 3DS) (6-11-2)

Series Rep / Headliner:

• Little Mac
  • Mii Fighters
  • Mega Man (Third Party)
  • Pac-Man (Third Party)
  • Cloud (Third Party)
  • Ryu (Third Party)
Unlikely Series Rep:

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Brawl and 3DS/Wii U really struck a match and spoiled with Smash Discussion.

Brawl revealed Wario, Meta Knight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Snake.

Wii U/3DS had Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer all at once.

All of those had far more interesting discussions to bolster than a new Link and the most predictable newcomer.

Morbi

Scavenger
Crunched some rough numbers, and while A-Grade superstars are becoming less frequent (and leaning a bit on Third Parties), it's not like Smash is pulling characters out of its butt just yet. To describe Nintendo newcomers as "the bottom of the barrel" is pretty silly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super Smash Bros. Melee (6-6-2)

Series Rep / Headliner:
Unlikely Series Rep:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (10-7-1)

Series Rep / Headliner:

Unlikely Series Rep:

Super Smash Bros. (Wii U and 3DS) (6-11-2)

Series Rep / Headliner:

• Little Mac
  • Mii Fighters
  • Mega Man (Third Party)
  • Pac-Man (Third Party)
  • Cloud (Third Party)
  • Ryu (Third Party)
Unlikely Series Rep:
I am confused... To determine that, you need to look at what remains, not what we have. I stand by the fact that outside of Ridley and a Donkey Kong character or two, the next highest heavy hitter that was not released post Smash 4 is ****ing Waluigi.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Frankly, I think said characters will be BotW Link and Cappy Mario in addition to their old movesets

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I just thought of something. How will the Inklings be able to swim through ink in this game? Splatoon makes it to where Inklings can only swim in the ink of their color, but what if multiple people choose the same orange-colored Inkling alt? Will everyone be able to swim in the same orange ink, or will the ink be changed to several different weird shades of orange?

Brawl and 3DS/Wii U really struck a match and spoiled with Smash Discussion.

Brawl revealed Wario, Meta Knight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Snake.

Wii U/3DS had Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer all at once.

All of those had far more interesting discussions to bolster than a new Link and the most predictable newcomer.
To be fair, Nintendo is probably waiting until E3 to reveal more newcomers. A random Direct in March isn't exactly a primetime spot for viewership.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Frankly, I think said characters will be BotW Link and Cappy Mario in addition to their old movesets
The best part is you could drastically alter Link and Mario, and it'd still be fine, because both of those characters already have clones that people could use instead.

Granted, the clones obviously play a bit different from the originals, but the core moveset would still be there.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I can see a direct next month or May where they reveal some veterans, show gameplay of Inklings and BoTW Link, and show maybe one newcomer (it won't be a third party or anyone major that might hype up E3.) That way they have a lot of stuff out of the way for the tournament at E3 and can also do a ''And surprise you get to play THESE newcomers as well" with some truly hype newcomers.

Morbi

Scavenger
The best part is you could drastically alter Link and Mario, and it'd still be fine, because both of those characters already have clones that people could use instead.

Granted, the clones obviously play a bit different from the originals, but the core moveset would still be there.
It would not be fine with me in the case of Link, especially after nearly two decades with Ganondorf from F-Zero. That would be adding insult to injury. I cannot, for the life of me, play Toon Link but Link feels amazing. That has always been the case, even back when he was Young Link.

Mario and Doctor Mario felt largely the same in Melee, but the weird recovery changes in Smash 4 changed him a bit, I could live with it though.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Yeah, I'm not so sure if drastically changing the originals just because there are backup clones is a good move. Maybe one or two moves could get changed, but a complete overhaul is a bit much, especially when both characters have been in Smash since 64.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If the invitational is happening at E3, and Nintendo wants zero leaks coming out prior to it, it seems pretty clear to me that frankly...it makes the most sense to have a Smash specific Direct before the dudes invited can possibly leak anything.

Show everything that would be in the gameplay provided at E3. That would either mean a **** ton because it’s a port, or a good amount (not quite **** ton level) if it’s entirely new.

Not trying to get people hyped, but I have a feeling there will be an eventual Direct prior to E3. Like a month prior.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I know I'm about to restart the fire, but what if the next newcomer revealed right before the tournament thing is indeed Ridley, and he is playable in the tournament just so people can try him out and see how well or weirdly he was implemented.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I am confused... To determine that, you need to look at what remains, not what we have. I stand by the fact that outside of Ridley and a Donkey Kong character or two, the next highest heavy hitter that was not released post Smash 4 is ****ing Waluigi.
Yeah, I guess the point was more that rosters always have a healthy mix of secondary/obscure newcomers, and those rosters have been well-received so far. Plus, I heard in the WiiU days that there were no more good, viable characters left, and somehow the team came up with some. I just don't think it's Third Party/new IP or bust when it comes to the newcomers this time, that's all.

Sm4sh seemed to put more emphasis on interesting mechanics for new fighter over sheer star power, and I'm fine with that decision-making process!

Morbi

Scavenger
If the invitational is happening at E3, and Nintendo wants zero leaks coming out prior to it, it seems pretty clear to me that frankly...it makes the most sense to have a Smash specific Direct before he dudes invited can possibly leak anything.

Show everything that would be in the gameplay provided at E3. That would either mean a **** ton because it’s a port, or a good amount (not quite **** ton level) if it’s entirely new.

Not trying to get people hyped, but I have a feeling there will be an eventual Direct prior to E3. Like a month prior.
In my opinion, the invitational basically confirms it and, in hindsight, I wonder why I was so pessimistic about a Direct prior to e3 in the first place.

I know I'm about to restart the fire, but what if the next newcomer revealed right before the tournament thing is indeed Ridley, and he is playable in the tournament just so people can try him out and see how well or weirdly he was implemented.
D1 could scream, "RIDLEY! Here to destroy the world!" as someone jumps into his final smash while everyone in the crowd is holding Detective Pikachu cards and Geoff Keighley just moans in disappointment. In other words, not much would change.

Last edited:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Want this to happen so much for that and also just to see all the reactions (good and bad).

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

I wouldn't be mad. I have no love for Pauline for example, but there are almost no characters that I wouldn't enjoy to some extent, so I wouldn't begrudge her getting in. I'd rather have Waluigi though :p

Morbi

Scavenger
Want this to happen so much for that and also just to see all the reactions (good and bad).
Ridley just makes sense to be one of the e3 characters, he could carry the hype of two lesser characters, easily. And even then, if one is a third-party character, he might not even have to.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Sakurai could put literally whoever he wants into this game. I have faith that he could create an interesting moveset for anyone. On another note, it doesn't matter who he puts in. A new character is a new character. No matter who he puts in, it just means more options for who to play as.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom