• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Ridley just makes sense to be one of the e3 characters, he could carry the hype of two lesser characters, easily. And even then, if one is a third-party character, he might not even have to.
Yeah, that's very true....I'm just impatient when it comes to Smash related stuff. What matters the most to me is if he's playable so if we did have to wait, oh well. It'd be worth the wait.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Between Ridley and K. Rool, I honestly feel like one of them HAS to get in this time.

Also, how do people feel about those who say Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt will be cut?

Also, some think Bowser Jr. may be cut because he was reportedly low priority and almost didn't make it in Sm4sh.
Wii Fit and Duck Hunt aren't gonna go anywhere. It makes me mad whenever people think they're gonna go.
Although I'm not sure about Bowser Jr. but there's a great chance he'll stay.

Morbi

Scavenger
Wii Fit and Duck Hunt aren't gonna go anywhere. It makes me mad whenever people think they're gonna go.
Although I'm not sure about Bowser Jr. but there's a great chance he'll stay.
Why does it make you mad? I agree with your sentiment, but I would never get mad just because people might believe an obvious returning character might not return.

I feel as though the Koopalings concept saves Bowser Jr. I am not too fond of it, but it is difficult to imagine him cutting what is technically eight characters from the roster. Beyond that, he himself is quite relevant. So despite the low priority, now that he is in, it is going to be harder to let him go.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Can't wait to see how Nintendo will be forced to keep a dead system's controller alive for the Switch this time.

Reggie: -slugs out onto invitational stage with a Switch version of the Gamecube Controller- Here ****ers. There. You got it. Now leave me alone.

Fan: Mother 3?

Reggie: -death glare as he bashes in the fan's head with Gamecube controller-

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I know I'm about to restart the fire, but what if the next newcomer revealed right before the tournament thing is indeed Ridley, and he is playable in the tournament just so people can try him out and see how well or weirdly he was implemented.
That wouldn't make sense to me, and wouldn't fall in line with how Sakurai does games. Especially not for a tournament.

Edit: My response is about "testing" out how well Ridley works, and has nothing to do with his inclusion (which I'm already betting on not happening)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
That wouldn't make sense to me, and wouldn't fall in line with how Sakurai does games. Especially not for a tournament.
It is not as though Sakurai does a lot of games for tournaments and last time they let people test PLENTY of newcomers. I agree that Sakurai himself would not necessarily test it in that regard, Ridley would likely only be playable if he was confident it was not weird, but still, you act like there is some precedent for this when there is just not. We have no idea about his logic regarding the first invitational or if he was even involved in any relevant capacity.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The tournament has to have more characters than Mario, Link and Inklings. They're legit the sole purely confirmed characters this time. Sure you can tell who some of those silhouettes were but for all intents and purposes they were the focus of the trailer.

And as a reminder? Sakurai has Mr. Game & Watch in Pac Man's trailer but he wasn't considered confirmed returning until much later.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
The tournament has to have more characters than Mario, Link and Inklings. They're legit the sole purely confirmed characters this time. Sure you can tell who some of those silhouettes were but for all intents and purposes they were the focus of the trailer.

And as a reminder? Sakurai has Mr. Game & Watch in Pac Man's trailer but he wasn't considered confirmed returning until much later.
I don't disagree... but I'm confused why you're replying to my comment. I was just saying I don't think Sakurai would "test how weird Ridley is" at a big tournament.

Edit: And regarding the previous tournament- I have no doubt we'll see a lot of newcomers. But I think they will already have been tested, and Sakurai will shows characters he's confident about. I guess I was replying to the tone of T-Hell's post. I think Sakurai will show the characters that are the closest to being finished, as opposed to the characters he's least confident in.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I didn't mean it as Sakurai not being confident with his design, but more like fans and skepticals trying him out and possibly becoming convinced that he definately was perfectly suitable for a playable rol, and just for the sake of playing and testing what is possibly the most "impossible to make playable" character of Smash's history.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
By the way, I looked it up, and just in case anyone wants to know:

Back in 2014, Nintendo held a dedicated direct for Smash Bros on April 8, which revealed Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Yoshi, Charizard, and Greninja.

So it's not completely out of the question to get a pretty substantial reveal before E3.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner was Michaiah, hands down. Not many wanted Mordecai or Sephiran, but Oliver proven he does have a decent following.

Next is the last Radiant Dawn poll. The main villainess is included and some fan favorite units. Your choices are Sothe, Ashera, Soren, and Caineghis.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Back in 2014, Nintendo held a dedicated direct for Smash Bros on April 8, which revealed Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Yoshi, Charizard, and Greninja.

So it's not completely out of the question to get a pretty substantial reveal before E3.
This coupled with the fact they don't have a lot of time to hype and have probably quite a bit of information to get out for a game releasing this year. I can't simply see them waiting till June to reveal SOMETHING about this game.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Now you've gotten my hopes up, why'd you do this to me? :(

The winner was Michaiah, hands down. Not many wanted Mordecai or Sephiran, but Oliver proven he does have a decent following.

Next is the last Radiant Dawn poll. The main villainess is included and some fan favorite units. Your choices are Sothe, Ashera, Soren, and Caineghis.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.
Picking Sothe because he reminds me of Part 2 Joseph.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So here's my question. Would you be genuinely upset if a Champion or Pauline/Cappy got in before someone more iconic/more requested like Impa/Skull Kid or Waluigi/Daisy, or would you welcome their addition because you understand how successful their game was?
Personal bias aside, no, I would not be upset. Those characters all had/have a chance, and if Sakurai wants to put someone else in instead, then the character he wound up putting in will probably be designed better anyway. He'd pick one character over another because he feels he has a better vision for what it could do. Trust in Dad's decisions. Don't be mad.

Unless Minecraft Steve is playable.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It seems like tradition for Smash information in April.

I'm guessing the vets in the 1st trailer & Inklings information + One newcomer/Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I wouldn't be surprised if Ice Climbers were not revealed at all during the development cycle, and were instead one of the "secret" unlockable characters.

I can't really say WHY I feel that way. I guess it's probably related to the fact that the only people who are going to be hyped for ICs are already Smash fans and will buy the game anyways. They aren't really a good advertising piece, and could be a cool secret character like Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
It seems like tradition for Smash information in April.
Why's that? Did Smash have more April precedence prior to Smash4?
I wouldn't expect it until May or first week of June, but maybe I'm just being way too cautious.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm feeling really nervous about Smash Bros. today randomly, mainly about how new the content we get is going to be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

That specific direct mostly featured veterans though, so I'm probably guessing that the next Smash Bros. news will only really feature a single newcomer.

Morbi

Scavenger
I wouldn't expect it until May or first week of June, but maybe I'm just being way too cautious.
First week of June is way to close to e3, they might as well just do everything there, in that case. May is definitely feasible, but I am still leaning on April solely because people actually think this is a port.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
That specific direct mostly featured veterans though, so I'm probably guessing that the next Smash Bros. news will only really feature a single newcomer.
Hey man, as long as we get gameplay, focusing mostly on veterans would be fine by me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There was a Smash presentation literally the day before E3 began in 2015. Discount no possibility.

Though now with the tournament they do have to show more of the game beforehand.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
But the question is though. Who's going to be the 2nd newcomer? Place your bets!

I'm going with Rex & Pyra.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I'm getting the feeling we'll be getting a game play change smaller than any other smash installment, despite not thinking the game will be a direct port I feel like there would only be minute changes (possibly rage removal, changes in stages and some veterans, and possibly a gravity or ledge mechanic change). Aside from that I'm expecting the vast majority of the characters to be super similar, a few returning characters such as ice climbers (and possibly wolf?), a few obvious newcomers (rex and pyra, springman/ribbon girl, a new kirby/DK/metroid rep possibly), new stages, and that'll be the extent. Although I'm hoping for a better single player experience, I'm not getting my hopes up as it appears the series isn't going in that direction.
Let us all hope smash tour, pyrosphere, and pacland are expelled to the underworld and never return.

But the question is though. Who's going to be the 2nd newcomer? Place your bets!

I'm going with Rex & Pyra.
I tend to think this is going to depend on when the next smash information is shown. There's a far more likely chance we see next gen pokemon or sylux/ridley after we see them in their respective games at E3. Also E3 is the oppertune time to announce 3rd parties that are well known, so if there's a major 3rd party character coming (like Steve or Rayman), it'll probably be there. Otherwise if it's before E3, I would bet on an arms rep or Rex/pyra.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Hey man, as long as we get gameplay, focusing mostly on veterans would be fine by me.
It's not like I'm expecting very much, in terms of newcomers anyway. I am curious as to if the mechanics from Smash 3DS / Wii U will be reused, as those two games made some good improvements (at least on my end).

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Smash 4 2014 had the Direct, 2015 had Mewtwo's trailer and release, Lucas' trailer, and the announcement of the ballot.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think late April/early May makes the most sense for a Smash Direct. It would be right in between the reveal and E3, so they evenly space out large events and keep the hype train going.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think late April/early May makes the most sense for a Smash Direct. It would be right in between the reveal and E3, so they evenly space out large events and keep the hype train going.
That sounds fair. At this point, all I'm hoping for is that they throw us some kind of bone before E3.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The tournament is held on the 11th and the 12th. The Splatoon tournament could easily be held on the 11th while the Smash one is done on the 12th after the Presentation. As nice it would be to hear about the game beforehand, don't assume that and only expect to see Smash at E3.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
That sounds fair. At this point, all I'm hoping for is that they throw us some kind of bone before E3.
At the end of the day, that's all we can really hope for leading up to E3.

I do really think they're setting up to reveal information soon though. If all they wanted to give us before E3 was "Super Smash Bros (working title)" and the Inklings, why not just wait til E3, y'know? And then announcing the Smash Invitational 2 and a half months before E3... There HAS to be something else in play here.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I wish the development of this game was more open like smash 4's or brawl's, which had miiverse posts and the dojo respectively, providing ocassional updates. So far, this game is releasing later this year and we have nothing to go off of. This is the only reason I'm not optimistic the game has too many substantial changes from smash 4: there's likely to be a high amount of recycled content, although not a direct port.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Random thought: How about Captain Rainbow (maybe as a Falcon clone) serving as our "unexpected" character?

He's already the star of a weird crossover game, why not one more? haha

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Random thought: How about Captain Rainbow (maybe as a Falcon clone) serving as our "unexpected" character?

He's already the star of a weird crossover game, why not one more? haha
Could be cool. Don't know much about him, but I remember him being brought up last time around a few times.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Shock and awe. What the **** character?

Look no further:

Third party. Has relevance to Nintendo that a lot of people don't know about. Is an iconic cartoon character. Has moveset potential.

It would probably never happen but if it did it'd make some sense and be shocking as ****.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think one thing we're going to see is that idea of alternate characters as replacement skins for certain characters (I.E. Lucina/Roy for Marth, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, etc.) BUT BUT BUT combined with the alternate moves mechanics, so like Mortal Kombat X.

So what does that mean?
Classic Link for BotW Link
Dark Samus for Samus
Dixie Kong for Diddy Kong
and so on
That would be pretty cool, since this was talked about before. Since Custom moves were so tedious to unlock, and only had limited use in competitive play, and wasn't allowed online. It'd be cool for Dark Samus or Funky Kong ect. ect.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Okay here are some of my predictions.

New Comer Predictions
An Arms Character (I'm going with Twintelle or Min Min)
Shovel Knight
Decidueye
Toad (from Toad Treasure Trackers)
Crash Bandicoot (I am going with him, one of the more unlikely picks though)
Midna and Wolf Link (I feel like they will add one Zelda character. I am also thinking maybe Tetra or Skull Kid)
Funky Kong (I do think they will add a new character from donkey kong, I'm not sure who though)
Rabbids (I'm thinking three. But then Rayman is probably a safer choice)

Returning Characters
Ice Climbers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom