• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I really wouldn't mind Bulbasaur, Ivysaur or Venusaur in Smash Switch.

Pokemon Go Bulbasaur event this weekend. Maybe there will be a Smash announcement?

View attachment 139234
I don’t think the Pokémon GO team really communicates with Nintendo much at all, so I doubt there would be any kind of cross-promotion.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I think what sent Morbi off in interpreting Sakurai as calling clone detractors as children is a user here literally using his quote to segue into calling detractors children. I don't personally think that is Sakurai's interpretation at all but that is certainly a popular opinion here.

People here like having some level of superiority to newer or more casual people (or even people that might just have a different preference to them ;) ) that makes potentially weak or misguided statements. I think the line between criticism and personal attacks in the eyes of fans is really unclear, considering how this fanbase is. People get conditioned to see detractors as "idiots" raging about something Sakurai does that is actually (whether realistic or not) "good game design" because of how toxic things are in more immature sects of the Smash community.

Take this response to criticism:
"Clones aren't lazy, so that's not an excuse.They don't do disservice to characters because it's an accurate representation of them, so that's not an excuse either. So when you get down to it, they really do just hate clones for no reason. At least for no reason that's justified or validated. It's all about a childish misconception that clones are added because the director is too lazy to make them different. Which is false."

[I'm not going to tag Jinjo because he/she said they didn't want to continue the conversation about clones. I'm just using the post as an example]

People got really used to any arguments against clones going like "DAE Sakurai is lazy!!!1111111!" and "muh slots" that they justify their opinion with something approaching strawman levels of generalization (do you really see any experienced users here making these arguments?). This is kind of the problem with Smashboards speculation as a whole. Even thinking of having frustrations with the games outside the common opinion will get a this elitist stigma attached to it.

Dark Pit and Lucina are not terrible characters in the slightest but the changes made to them feel uninspired and detrimental and don't fit what a fleshed out character should have in a moveset. They should have been alternate move-sets for their respective characters or kept as costumes as they were intended. Regardless of the development time they took, they didn't really add much to the characters they clone.

If you want to clone these characters (which Sakurai has done with the Melee clones), at least give them differences in their move-sets that don't feel superficial. Dark Pit could have at least had a different shot in the Silver Bow, which doesn't match the way the shot functions in Uprising (I think the dark "arrow" in Smash 4 is the darkness bow, even though the bow is the silver bow). Maybe give him a different class of weapon like a Club or a set of Claws, if you want to de-clone him even more. If a character being a "clone" to the degree they were in Smash 4 (excluding Dr. Mario) is an "accurate representation" why would it even be worth to add them as a character? It seems like a waste of development time if you're going to change something less than Fox's custom special moves and create a Final Smash, trophies and trophy description, character hints, etc. for them.

I get a lot of people were salty about clones for silly reasons in Smash 4, but in hindsight I don't think Dark Pit and Lucina really added anything to the game. Sakurai tried to create archetypes with characters, but didn't really go all in. It actually weakens the characters viability wise, which is even more insult to injury. (Why does adding 1-2% to an arrow's damage justify gutting :4darkpit: the main reason we used Palutena's Arrow in the games, Sakurai? It's different but it's also bad)

:kirby:

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm thinking that depends on how many trailers as it seems to me that Melee, Brawl and 4 had a set budget for Pre-Rendered stuff and used it in different ways.

Smash 4's amalgam intro was better than Brawl but I think Villager's trailer slightly reworked would have been a better intro.

I suspect that there'll be less trailers this time as there's a more solid release date than most hype periods so they couldn't make a full intro out of it.
I really hope they can release the game before leaks happen. We're so close to release and they've still managed to keep everything secret.

I've been considering using a second YouTube account to avoid video game related content showing up in my feed, taking Nintendo Life out of my bookmarks, and possibly unfriend some people from Facebook.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the evasion of leaks? And do you think we'll be able to avoid them? I mean obviously people will get review copies early, but what do you guys think?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just find the influx of "x for Smash" that comes simply from the reveal of a character receiving a game on a Nintendo platform quite tiring. Like it's ever been a case of one recent game making or breaking a third-party's inclusion, Bayonetta notwithstanding as that was due to extenuating circumstances. Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu and Cloud... did any of them get included because *gasp* a single serendipitous title graced a Nintendo platform?

Not to mention how ephemeral the support is. Remember when people were talking about Doomslayer and Dohvakiin? Remember Neku? Now it's Crash and Sans and Solaire and whoever else happens to flutter through peoples' short term memory. In a few months it'll be characters from the third-party games shown at E3. All these allegiances evaporate so quickly when something newer and shinier gets shoved in our faces. What's up with that. Comes off very superficial.
People talked about Crash before the N. Sane Trilogy for Switch reveal, though.

All the reveal did was reignite the flames.

Polan

Smash Lord
Since we're all uploading our rosters, I thought I would give mine a shot. It's mostly characters who I expect in the game with a few additions that are wishful thinking on my part.

Reasoning
Mario and Link are changed to their Odyssey/BoTW attires and have a few moves from those games in their moveset.

Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf are changed to their BoTW/HW attires respectively though their movesets stay intact (maybe Zelda's will change a bit IDK. I've given up hope on Ganon getting a rehaul, at least he'll have a better attire).

I feel Smash 5 may be Geno's time for inclusion. With him being considered for two game prior this game might be his chance. Otherwise I think the Mario newcomer spot will go to Captain Toad if Square Enix doesn't want to make it happen. Bowser Jr. gets cut I think because of him being low priority last time around so if there was a new Mario character he might (keyword "might" people) get excluded.

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that DK gets two newcomers this time around. K. Rool for his Ballot presence and Dixie for the more recent DK games. The series absolutely can warrant that.

With Ridley I think we're looking at a Villager type situation where Sakurai has a change of mind for him like he did the latter. Either that or Ridley gets replaced by another Metroid character.

Bandana Dee gets in i'm almost sure. Kirby has had a lot of games in between the two releases (and on that note ever since it started) and Dee has been featured as the "Top 4" of that franchise.

Was tempted to add Wolf but I figured he's someone that would be added as DLC instead.

Either Decidueye gets in or a Gen 8 PKMN takes the spot of PKMN newcomer. Greninja cuts cut I feel to make room for whoever gets added in. There's always a chance he'll stay; however similar to Lucario.

FE is probably the most controversial here because Lucina and Corrin get cut though in return the main protag from FE16 is added in the game. Hopefully a non-sword fighter.

I was tempted to cut Dark Pit but I think he'll stay on the roster to give Kid Icarus a more solid representation on the roster. For that to happen either he'll be semi-cloned or he won't be on the roster at all similar to Lucina.

Isabella gets in because AC can warrant another character. I also feel an AC game is close to happening on the Switch.

Rex & Pyra will most likely get on the roster as a "team" of sorts. Xenoblade is big enough to have another character on the roster. Time constraints could work against the duo and if that were to happen I could see Elma getting in instead (my personal preference as well).

Spring Man and Labo are very iffy. ARMS was revealed like 6-8 months after development began so there's a chance they might not make it in. I doubt that personally and I think Sakurai made it a priority to get them in as a "last minute addition" of sorts because he saw the potential in that character. Labo would be the next Fit Trainer and i'm even more iffy on that character. Maybe Nintendo gave Sakurai info a lot of time beforehand and Labo was a last minute decision as well? I know a lot of these choices are done on the premise that Sakurai knew about the characters before hand. It's just my theory. Fit Trainer I think isn't making it next time round due to the "Wii" series being dead with that brand retired. Maybe.

Takamaru I feel is the most likely retro to be added in but I also added Andy from Advance Wars as well. I know, it's a longshot and I get that even if he's my most requested Smash character. The only reason I have him here is because this year marks the 30th anniversary of Famicom Wars back in 1988 so I have a shred of hope Intelligent Systems will finally allow this series to have a playable character to coincide with Smash Switch's release. It would also work out great because Andy would represent both the NES (Famicom Wars) and the GBA (Advance Wars) with his inclusion.

Dr. Mario (along with Lucas and Roy) I kept in the roster because I feel that Sakurai won't cut any characters who were previously cut beforehand. There's no rule saying this of course but honestly that's the way it should be. Alph gets promoted to clone status using his Rock Pikmin and Ribbon Girl is a clone of Spring Man similar to how Lucina was a clone of Marth.

Out of all the third parties added in Smash 4 I feel Megaman and Pacman are the safest. Sonic obviously because he's the face of third party Smash. Ryu I feel is also safe because of how iconic he is as "Mr. Fighting Games". Bayonetta is also safe with being the Ballot winner and her series having a major presence on Nintendo consoles (hopefully said return comes bundled with a nerf lol). Cloud I feel is a "Snake" kind of situation where he won't make the cut for the next game similar to how Snake didn't make Smash 4. Square Enix is Square Enix so I think he might not make it in the game next time round. I say this as someone who liked his inclusion as DLC and would want him to stay. Maybe he'll be re-added in as DLC again?

Bomberman I feel has a very good chance of inclusion as he's one of the big third party names yet to be included in Smash Bros. Rayman as well though for him i'm a bit iffy because there's a chance the Rabbids could get added in over him. I think Rayman would get in being the more classic, iconic character but who's to say?

Mii Fighters return along with two additional classes; Mii Magician and Mii Archer (something among the lines of that).

I also included characters who I think could be added in as DLC (barring advertisement characters not included here).

Most are third parties following the trend of Smash 4 DLC. Young Link I think is unlikely though he could always return with an MM inspired moveset and I think Travis is going to be the Bayonetta of the game. I feel that Scoprion would be the Cloud of this game as well if he was DLC (low chance, I know). Won't explain all of them here but you can ask me about any of these inclusions if you want.
Couple of thoughts.
Keep Bowser Jr. Just because he was low priority last time doesn't mean that he's low priority now.
Regarding Geno, I don't see Nintendo putting the cash down to get a side character from a 20+ year old game. Cap. Toad is more likely.
Still don't see Ridley happening. Sakurai sees him as a boss and not as a playable character and he's remained consistent on that view.
Kinda mad that you cut Greninja, who's still fairly popular. Also dunno why people think that cutting chars makes room for newcomers. I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.
Slightly more mad that you cut the more unique FE char but kept the semi-clone.
Square Enix and Nintendo are on good terms. Don't see Cloud getting cut.
Other than the stuff I mentioned above, most of your roster choices are good.
Also Snake and Wolf should be in the base game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Guests aren't added the same way a regular character is.

It isn't just looking at what's out there and what they can do.
A LOT of it has to do with fan popularity and demand first and foremost, and to be frank, Doom Slayer and Dohvakiin weren't really supported for Smash much until Skyrim's and Doom's Switch announcements. And even then, the support is meager at best overall.
I see a bigger deal being made for Solaire of Astora over Dark Souls Remastered (though the amiibo probably helps with that) than either Doom Slayer or Dohvakiin for their Switch releases.
Ok, now I definitely can see why you would think Doom Guy would not get in. I will definitely consider re-arranging my predictions now.

And only in special cases like Snake (Kojima and Snake being close friends) would fan-demand not be a major factor right? Though I would think that would be an exception to you more than anything. Kinda makes me wonder if Sakurai has any close friends with Western developers.

That's not to say I see Solaire being likely unless Namco Bandai is involved with this Smash and they themselves talked to Sakurai about the idea for whatever reason when they were drawing up ideas for Solaire's own amiibo. But that's rather farfetched when Solaire was only in the first Dark Souls, which meant he hasn't had a true appearance since 2012 other than the fandom. In other words, Solaire would be DLC at best.
Is not demand the first thing you just said factors into a third-party guest being added though? And are you also suggesting that Sakurai would have a better chance at adding a Dark Souls character because of Japanese developers and being it more likely that they could be added due to timing?

Burruni

Smash Hero

There's a reason he's in Smash Bros. Crusade, which at least only has one real "off" character in Weegee.
The games have been on Nintendo consoles since like... 2001? With Crash 4/Wrath of Cortex.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Crash and Rayman were popular in Japan?

I'm saying this because of their inclusion on Smash.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Here's another fun "Discussion" topic.

Pick one character you'd like to see in Smash from each of the following categories:

Nintendo Character from the 80s:
Nintendo Character from the 90s:
Nintendo Character from the 2000s (Before 2010):
Nintendo Character from a "Modern" title (2010-Present):
Smash Represented Series that only has 1-2 reps in Smash, Including Third Parties (F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Mother, etc):
Character who is an Assist Trophy currently:

My own list:
-Balloon Fighter
-I want to say Geno but for those who believe that doesn't count, Ray (Custom Robo)
-Chibi Robo
- Min Min (ARMS)
-Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade 2)
-Lyn (Fire Emblem)

If your character falls under more than one category, or is from a series already in Smash, that's fine.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I am super curious to see what 3rd party characters get added this time.
The three most likely are probably Bomberman, Simon Belmont, and Shovel Knight. Maybe we'll get all three.

Lara Croft would be cool too. I've never played a Tomb Raider game, but I know she's one of the most well known video game characters.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I really hope they can release the game before leaks happen. We're so close to release and they've still managed to keep everything secret.

I've been considering using a second YouTube account to avoid video game related content showing up in my feed, taking Nintendo Life out of my bookmarks, and possibly unfriend some people from Facebook.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the evasion of leaks? And do you think we'll be able to avoid them? I mean obviously people will get review copies early, but what do you guys think?
Avoid the internet entirely I guess. Especially if the game doesn't come out worldwide simultaneously, and even then, the whole roster would probably be leaked sometime before the first release.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Avoid the internet entirely I guess. Especially if the game doesn't come out worldwide, and even then, the whole roster would probably be leaked sometime before the first release.
To be fair, it wasn't hard to avoid the roster leak for Smash on 3DS. I chose to look at it, and I didn't know if it was real or not.

I knew it was real when I saw Bowser Jr, because no Smash fanboy could come up with something that interesting. 100% of Smash fans would have depicted Bowser Jr with a lame paintbrush move set.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Pick one character you'd like to see in Smash from each of the following categories:

Smash Represented Series that only has 1-2 reps in Smash, Including Third Parties (F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Mother, etc):

My own list:
-Balloon Fighter
-I want to say Geno but for those who believe that doesn't count, Ray (Custom Robo)
-Chibi Robo
- Min Min (ARMS)
-Lyn (Fire Emblem)

If your character falls under more than one category, or is from a series already in Smash, that's fine.
80s: Donbe & Hikari
90s: Ganon (LttP)
2000s: Waluigi (Mario tennis came out in 2000!)
Modern: Bandana Dee
Small Series: GIMME DAT REX+AEGIS BLADE
Assist Trophy: Ashley

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

My own list:
-Balloon Fighter
-Chibi Robo
- Min Min (ARMS)
-Lyn (Fire Emblem)

80's: Ayumi Tachibana
90's: Lip
2000's: Waluigi
2010-Present: Rex & Pyra

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Right and people talked about Sans too. And the Rabbids. Almost any video game character with notable ties to or would mesh in well with Nintendo have been discussed. But the difference in how prevalent those conversations are before and after a single game shows up is, typically, pretty monumental. Especially when you step outside this site. And I guarantee you it will die down in favour of a new wave of feasible third-party games upon their reveal.

And I guess I can understand it for characters who literally are making their Nintendo debut (the support increasing, not so much the zero to 100 mentality, nor the fleeting aspect), but the others have already made multiple Nintendo appearances which people act as if are meaningless now because oh boy they showed up in this specific instance. I mean isn't Crash a part of the Skylanders game that showed up literally last year on Switch? He's had games exclusive to Nintendo platforms. He's had main games on Nintendo platforms. His credentials existed beforehand and aren't going to be altered much by one additional game. People acting like this is the first time he jumped ship from Sony.

I'm not saying all these characters aren't worth discussing, it's just the very intense yet myopic and transient method that imbues the influx with if not insincerity, certainly a lack of commitment.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

Nintendo Character from the 80s: Ridley
Nintendo Character from the 90s: Giygas
Nintendo Character from the 2000s (Before 2010): Dark Samus
Nintendo Character from a "Modern" title (2010-Present): Yveltal
Smash Represented Series that only has 1-2 reps in Smash, Including Third Parties (F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Mother, etc): K. Rool
Character who is an Assist Trophy currently: Waluigi

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

My own list:
-Balloon Fighter
-Chibi Robo
- Min Min (ARMS)
-Lyn (Fire Emblem)

80's: Ridley
90's: K. Rool
2000's: Bandana Dee
Modern: Lycanroc
Smash Represented Series: ...Ridley/K. Rool again?
Assist Trophy: Isabelle

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm glad Sakurai held off on adding certain characters until the time is right for characters like Bowser Jr and Wario.

Bowser Jr. may have had a paintbrush, but just because you have something unique, doesn't make you an interesting fighter.

I think the same applied with Paper Mario. He had his partners and what not, but he didn't have anything that made him standout from the crowd. After Paper Jam and Color Splash, I think now is the time to add him. Those games made great use of his paper abilities and the ability to stack up and multiply is something that could make him truly unique among the roster of characters more so than just having a few friends at his disposal.

Having something that only that character can do is what Sakurai said is most important about characters.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
80s: Donbe & Hikari
90s: Ganon (LttP)
2000s: Waluigi (Mario tennis came out in 2000!)
Modern: Bandana Dee
Small Series: GIMME DAT REX+AEGIS BLADE
Assist Trophy: Ashley
Technically Bandana Dee originated from Super Star. But I'll let that slide since Kirby Continuity is whacky, that barely counts and Bandana Dee is a swell fella. He literally barely didn't make my own list because of my own rules.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Since we are doing prediction rosters, I thought I'd post mine, with some wishes and maybes and maybe a little DLC at the end before the Random Icon.

View attachment 139235
What do you all think?
I’d be mostly happy with this roster... with the exception of Toon Zelda/Tetra. I feel like I’ve already said this once or twice, but the last thing I want to see when it comes to a new Zelda character (which is looooong overdue) is yet another version of the titular princess or Link himself. Zelda has so many unique, likable characters that could really shine in Smash (Skull Kid, the Champions, even Tingle), that it would feel like such a rip to get another version of the main characters.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Since we are doing prediction rosters, I thought I'd post mine, with some wishes and maybes and maybe a little DLC at the end before the Random Icon.

View attachment 139235
What do you all think?
Not bad. Just two things I feel like pointing out.

(1) I don't think bringing back transformation characters is a wise move.
(2) I don't think Corrin is the most likely FE character to get cut, and I don't think Bayo is the most likely third-party to get cut.

I'm glad Sakurai held off on adding certain characters until the time is right for characters like Bowser Jr and Wario.

Bowser Jr. may have had a paintbrush, but just because you have something unique, doesn't make you an interesting fighter.

I think the same applied with Paper Mario. He had his partners and what not, but he didn't have anything that made him standout from the crowd. After Paper Jam and Color Splash, I think now is the time to add him. Those games made great use of his paper abilities and the ability to stack up and multiply is something that could make him truly unique among the roster of characters more so than just having a few friends at his disposal.
Bowser Jr. doesn't need a Koopa Clown car to be interesting and Paper Mario doesn't need a gimmick like stickers or paint to get in Smash. Even back in 2005, both characters had enough material to go off of for a decent moveset. All it takes is a little creativity.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
I’d be mostly happy with this roster... with the exception of Toon Zelda/Tetra. I feel like I’ve already said this once or twice, but the last thing I want to see when it comes to a new Zelda character (which is looooong overdue) is yet another version of the titular princess or Link himself. Zelda has so many unique, likable characters that could really shine in Smash (Skull Kid, the Champions, even Tingle), that it would feel like such a rip to get another version of the main characters.
Well, at least you'd be mostly happy with this roster as you said.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Bowser Jr. doesn't need a Koopa Clown car to be interesting and Paper Mario doesn't need a gimmick like stickers or paint to get in Smash. Even back in 2005, both characters had enough material to go off of for a decent moveset. All it takes is a little creativity.
Well you just ignored my entire post, but that's fine I guess. Thanks for responding to my comment without even reading it.

EDIT: I never even mentioned stickers or paint, and that's not a gimmick. So once again, good job not reading my post.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not bad. Just two things I feel like pointing out.

(1) I don't think bringing back transformation characters is a wise move.
(2) I don't think Corrin is the most likely FE character to get cut, and I don't think Bayo is the most likely third-party to get cut.
1. So why not?
2. My bad, Didn't think that at first for some reason.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

80's: Ridley
90's: Dixie Kong
00's: Gardevoir
Modern: Ribbon Girl
Small-time Smash: Isabelle (could also apply for below one)
Assist Trophy promotion: Dillon

Burruni

Smash Hero
So. I have a personal idea about a "gimmick" for Rex in Smash.
Blade affinity and how it works with XB2, and the identity of Pyra.
So.... in general, spoilers for the game below.
Blade Affinity is a mechanic where a line between Driver and Blade goes from nothing to a kind of thin blue belt of dust and it peaks at a solid golden line between the two.

Affinity is raised in game in general just by standing in close enough proximity to the Blade, and seems to increase further with auto-attacks and blade arts.
Now, how would this apply to Rex in Smash?
Rex is the active player, his Blade would be either in the background but always try to keep close like Pokemon Trainer or an intangible AI that follows close like Icies. As he lands attacks, more so with specials and smash attacks, affinity will strengthen. When the affinity is Maxed, Pyra will change to Mythra, which will give a stat boost and possibly strengthen specials similar to Cloud's Limit system. The third form of the Aegis blade, Pneuma, alongside Rex's Master Driver armor, then become the Final Smash. Either being the Level 3 special she's limited at in the main game or her Lv4 Special which is only accessible in NG+.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Having something that only that character can do is what Sakurai said is most important about characters.
Other than I suppose the last line, this is all incredibly subjective.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I feel like a guest character needs to have a worldwide appeal. Every 3rd party character we have gotten in Smash has been popular in all regions. I think Sakurai wants to avoid going through the process of getting a character from another company if it's going to alienate an entire region who have little interest in the character.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So. I have a personal idea about a "gimmick" for Rex in Smash.
Blade affinity and how it works with XB2, and the identity of Pyra.
So.... in general, spoilers for the game below.
Blade Affinity is a mechanic where a line between Driver and Blade goes from nothing to a kind of thin blue belt of dust and it peaks at a solid golden line between the two.

Affinity is raised in game in general just by standing in close enough proximity to the Blade, and seems to increase further with auto-attacks and blade arts.
Now, how would this apply to Rex in Smash?
Rex is the active player, his Blade would be either in the background but always try to keep close like Pokemon Trainer or an intangible AI that follows close like Icies. As he lands attacks, more so with specials and smash attacks, affinity will strengthen. When the affinity is Maxed, Pyra will change to Mythra, which will give a stat boost and possibly strengthen specials similar to Cloud's Limit system. The third form of the Aegis blade, Pneuma, alongside Rex's Master Driver armor, then become the Final Smash. Either being the Level 3 special she's limited at in the main game or her Lv4 Special which is only accessible in NG+.
I've mentioned that before myself. It's a mechanic that would lend itself very nicely to Smash. I never even considered "That" Blade for the Final Smash though, that's a good idea, especially if we get a Pyra/Mythra combo that other people have mentioned.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well you just ignored my entire post, but that's fine I guess. Thanks for responding to my comment even though you didn't read it.
I did read it. You said that you were glad that Sakurai waited on characters like Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario because they didn't have any decent moveset material until later games. I respectfully disagree.

I played a lot of Gamecube games with Bowser Jr., and I've played all of the Paper Mario games. I was able to come up with decent movesets for both characters in Brawl, and I don't feel either would have been any less unique if Sakurai had added them back then. Yes, the newer games gave us more material to work with, but I don't feel like they were absolutely needed for the two.

1. So why not?
2. My bad, Didn't think that at first for some reason.
(1) I just think it's better to focus on the singular character instead of meshing two or three into one moveset.
(2) It's fine. No biggie.

Originality

Smash Journeyman

80's: Daisy
90's: Lip
2000's: Chibi-Robo
2010's: Wonder Red
Small series: Isabelle
Assist Trophy: Dillon

Burruni

Smash Hero
I've mentioned that before myself. It's a mechanic that would lend itself very nicely to Smash. I never even considered "That" Blade for the Final Smash though, that's a good idea, especially if we get a Pyra/Mythra combo that other people have mentioned.
Namely, without just doing Chain Attack similar to Shulk, THAT Blade is the only major "wow" factor from Rex's Moveset unless they make it Burning Sword/Sacred Arrow.
Plus, it's not like Sakurai is exactly shy to spoilers in Smash.
:sheikmelee: is :zeldamelee:
:npc: Let's have the final area and penultimate boss for an rpg that never made it outside of japan.
:4pit:: "But that's when you were under the Chaos Kin's Control, Lady Palutena!" :4palutena:
:4lucina: Hi
And the Xenoblade trophies in Smash 4 spoil just about everything up through the Gold Face fight, peaking at Mecha Fiora.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I did read it.
Well, that's funny because you literally responded with an argument that I already adressed. So if you read the post, then you definitely ignored the points that were made in it because now I have to repeat them a second time, even though I already adressed them to avoid having to do that.

Paper Mario because they didn't have any decent moveset material until later games.
No. I didn't say that.

I respectfully disagree.
No. You very disrespectfully ignored what I said and put words in my mouth.

I played a lot of Gamecube games with Bowser Jr., and I've played all of the Paper Mario games. I was able to come up with decent movesets for both characters in Brawl, and I don't feel either would have been any less unique if Sakurai had added them back then. Yes, the newer games gave us more material to work with, but I don't feel like they were absolutely needed for the two.
Did you miss the part where I said that having a unique move set doesn't make you an interesting fighter.

Because that's one of the first things I said in the post that you claimed you read. If you read my post, then I wouldn't need to explain this twice. So yeah. You're clearly not listening.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner of the first Path of Radiance poll was none other than Black Knight. Titania and Ranulf were decently popular. Then there's Shinon, poor Shinon.

Always this next poll will feature the man villain and a few important ladies. Your choices are Mia, Mist, Elincia, and Ashnard.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Go!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ok, so I have a topic for you all. Personally, I feel the possibility of a Japanese third party newcomer getting in Smash is very likely to happen. For an iconic third-party, what kind of character could you see getting in? We've had shocking additions like Cloud and Snake, whose series is mainly have more history with other platforms like Sony than Nintendo. What Japanese third-party could be the next surprising step up above Cloud and Snake?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I did read it. You said that you were glad that Sakurai waited on characters like Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario because they didn't have any decent moveset material until later games. I respectfully disagree.

(1) I just think it's better to focus on the singular character instead of meshing two or three into one moveset.
(2) It's fine. No biggie.
1: Well, if you say so. I can respect your thoughts on that, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom