• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I remember someone told me that people thought Rosalina was going to be a clone of Peach so Dark Pit is going to be unique too.

So it's like your argument is that people thought something that was stupid and it turned out to be wrong?

Troykv

Smash Master
I would argue that the transition from Young Link to Toon Link merited at least some consideration to give him his own personality. With Link himself, you could easily make half a dozen viable move-sets. But yeah, the only character that was truly shafted is Ganon. He could not even be a clone from his own series, as literally every other clone was unless you count Jigglypuff as a clone for whatever sick reason.
Jigglypuff is a clone of Kirby in the same way C. Falcon and Ness are clones of Samus and Mario: They reused assets to make easier their development in Smash 64

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Maybe they didn't show Mario's face because he wanted to shave and look cleaned up for the big reveal, but he accidentally cut himself while shaving, so they went with the silhouette look to hide the cuts :thinking:

Morbi

Scavenger
Jigglypuff is a clone of Kirby in the same way C. Falcon and Ness are clones of Samus and Mario: They reused assets to make easier their development in Smash 64
I definitely agree with that, but I would not really call reused assets a "clone" per se. It seems a bit of a stretch. Especially in a modern context where so much has changed.

I want see a stage from Gyromite or Stack-Up for the R.O.B..
I would support this idea only if they cut R.O.B. or turn him into an assist trophy. He can "represent" whatever he is supposed to just fine that way.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the only that got shafted was Ganondorf (a bit ironic, because he was chose late in Melee's Development because of how popular he had become, but Sakurai maybe wasn't expecting he being a main stay like Zelda).

The rest of the clone and semi clone characters have perfectly decent reasons to be cloney, in some cases characters like Dark Pit and Roy could only be possible thanks to this.
With Ganondorf yeah, it could be that he was treated more as an after thought since Ganondorf (That is to say, the human form) only made a single appearance in the Zelda series at the time, thus his future was a little more uncertain, even now, he still only made three appearances in the main series games so that may also factor in why Sakurai isn't as fussed with him as the fanbase would like him to be. I think he even remarked on the fans complaints and desire for him to use his sword during his Brawl dojo update when they showed off his sword taunt.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Maybe they didn't show Mario's face because he wanted to shave and look cleaned up for the big reveal, but he accidentally cut himself while shaving, so they went with the silhouette look to hide the cuts :thinking:
Worse : maybe it's not even Mario.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I wish they would add Samurai Goroh as a late addition since he's not a high priority character. Make him a semi-clone of Falcon like Wolf was of Fox, and then he can have his own unique moves where he uses a katana. And then Ganondorf can have his own move set.

It's just felt so lonely having Captain Falcon by himself for four games when there's been constant F-Zero releases from Smash 64-Brawl and Samurai Goroh is his rival.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
With Ganondorf yeah, it could be that he was treated more as an after thought since Ganondorf (That is to say, the human form) only made a single appearance in the Zelda series at the time, thus his future was a little more uncertain, even now, he still only made three appearances in the main series games so that may also factor in why Sakurai isn't as fussed with him as the fanbase would like him to be. I think he even remarked on the fans complaints and desire for him to use his sword during his dojo update when they showed off his sword taunt.
It's just funny that people complained Ganondorf was a clone in Melee when that's literally why he's in Super Smash Bros today.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It's just funny that people complained Ganondorf was a clone in Melee when that's literally why he's in Super Smash Bros today.
I guess in regards to THAT clone situation, it's sort of sad/frustrating to see such an important villain be a clone of someone seemingly random like Falcon. I love Ganon the way he is, but I made the comment before, I like him in Smash for his moveset. So they could put his moveset on someone like Black Shadow and I'd be just as happy, as long as I have the Disrepect King in some capacity.

Morbi

Scavenger
I wish they would add Samurai Goroh as a late addition since he's not a high priority character. Make him a semi-clone of Falcon like Wolf was of Fox, and then he can have his own unique moves where he uses a katana. And then Ganondorf can have his own move set.

It's just felt so lonely having Captain Falcon by himself for four games when there's been constant F-Zero releases from Smash 64-Brawl and Samurai Goroh is his rival.
Black Shadow would be a much better fit on that front, in my opinion; however, Sakurai seemingly has a thing for Goroh.

And at this point, I would rather he were gone. It was nice in Melee and okay in Brawl, but it is starting to overstay its welcome as far as I am concerned. So, on that front, I am definitely going to complain.

Stratos

Smash Lord
Ganondorf must acquire his own moves had in the The Legend of Zelda series and not have any moves that similar to Captain Falcon or anybody else.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ganondorf must acquire his own moves had in the The Legend of Zelda series and not have any moves that similar to Captain Falcon or anybody else.
I do not even believe he needs a complete rework, well, he does, but I do not believe it is necessary. As long as they fixed about 25% of his moves, he would, at the very least, have his own identity. I do not mind that he is a clone, I mind that he is such an unnecessary clone.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Activision already met with Nintendo for their Skylanders nonsense, so the timing of a Smash character could have been much earlier than literally right after they decided to bring Crash to the Switch. As for Undertale, I am sure that was more recent, especially because we do not even have a date, correct?
I doubt that Activision would have care about requesting their character in Smash, knowing the company, they probably care about marketing business than having business with sakurai.

As for Undertale, yeah. I doubt any UT character getting in the base game at all.

I doubt them more than Bethesda characters. At least Bethesda has shown dedicated support for the Switch to note the possibility of them requesting a character for Smash Switch’s base game in early 2016.

Last edited:

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
Ok.
I have a dream roster and I wanted to see other opinions on it.
Mario
Mario
(SMO Mario)
(Dr.Mario)
Luigi
Yoshi
Peach
Bowser
Jr.
Rosa
Waluigi
Toad
Wario
Wario
Ashley
Zelda
BOTW Link
(Link)
Zelda
Shiek
Ganondorf ( Revamped)
Toon Link
Metroid
Samus
Ridley
DK
DK
Diddy
Dixie
King K. Rool
Kirby
Kirby
MK
DDD
Bandana Dee
( Marx or Magalor)
FE
Marth
Roy
Ike
Robin
( Corrin)
( New Rep)
Star Fox
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Pokemon
Pikachu
Jiggs
Mewtwo
Charizard
Lucario
( Poke trainer with revamped moveset with w/o stamina)
Decidueye
Kid Icarus
PIt
Dark Pit
Palutena
Hades
(Viridi)
Mother
Ness
Lucas
Masked Man
F-Zero
CF
Black Shadow ( Ganondorf's old moveset or something new)
AC
Villager
Isabelle
Pikmin
Olimar ( with other characters as skins)
Wii
Mii ( with more fighter classes from Miitopia)
WFT
Xenoblade
Shulk
Pyra( and Rex)
ARMS
Soring Man
Splatoon
Inklings
SEGA
Sonic
(Tails/Knuckles/ Dr.Eggman)
Bayonetta
Namco
Pac.Man
Lloyd Irving
(Capcom)
MegaMan (and other characters as skins like Proto, Bass)
Ryu
(Activision ( or ND))
Crash
(Square Enix)
(Cloud)
Geno
(((Sora)))
Konami
Bomberman
(((Soild Snake))))
(Indie)
Shovel Knight
((((Steve))))
If I missed any Vets please tell me.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Western characters/games tend to be unpopular in Japan, and with Sakurai saying he'd like to promote Japanese games, I'm not sure if he would pick a 3rd party Western character. Also having a language barrier might cause some issues.

If you want to know more about Sakurai's thoughts on 3rd party characters this is a good read.
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/
Not necessarily for Crash who's games did units in the millions there.

And even though DK is a Japanese game the DKC/DK64 games are made by western developers and did millions of units as well. Hell DKC2/DKC3 had units selling better in Japan VS that of North America and Europe.

domriver

Smash Lord
I know something we have not chatted about it. The announcer's voice.
It has been a male for all iterations of Smash. Maybe its time for a female voice? Thoughts?

Morbi

Scavenger
Ok.
I have a dream roster and I wanted to see other opinions on it.
Mario
Mario
(SMO Mario)
(Dr.Mario)
Luigi
Yoshi
Peach
Bowser
Jr.
Rosa
Waluigi
Toad
Wario
Wario
Ashley
Zelda
BOTW Link
(Link)
Zelda
Shiek
Ganondorf ( Revamped)
Toon Link
DK
DK
Diddy
Dixie
King K. Rool
Kirby
Kirby
MK
DDD
Bandana Dee
( Marx or Magalor)
FE
Marth
Roy
Ike
Robin
( Corrin)
( New Rep)
Star Fox
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Pokemon
Pikachu
Jiggs
Mewtwo
Charizard
Lucario
( Poke trainer with revamped moveset with w/o stamina)
Decidueye
Kid Icarus
PIt
Dark Pit
Palutena
Hades
(Viridi)
Mother
Ness
Lucas
Masked Man
F-Zero
CF
Black Shadow ( Ganondorf's old moveset or something new)
AC
Villager
Isabelle
Pikmin
Olimar ( with other characters as skins)
Wii
Mii ( with more fighter classes from Miitopia)
WFT
Xenoblade
Shulk
Pyra( and Rex)
SEGA
Sonic
(Tails/Knuckles/ Dr.Eggman)
Bayonetta
Namco
Pac.Man
Lloyd Irving
(Capcom)
MegaMan (and other characters as skins like Proto, Bass)
Ryu
(Activision ( or ND))
Crash
(Square Enix)
(Cloud)
Geno
(((Sora)))
Konami
Bomberman
(((Soild Snake))))
(Indie)
Shovel Knight
((((Steve))))
If I missed anyone please tell me.
How do I know if you missed anyone on your dream roster?!

Well, in that case, you missed Dante from Capcom. He needs to meet Bayonetta, fam. And you missed Spring Man, he is definitely on your dream roster. I was going to joke about Ridley too, however, you did not even include Samus. Maybe that is what you meant by missed... Oh, well, I am going to keep my joke because I am a douche.

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874
How do I know if you missed anyone on your dream roster?!

Well, in that case, you missed Dante from Capcom. He needs to meet Bayonetta, fam. And you missed Spring Man, he is definitely on your dream roster. I was going to joke about Ridley too, however, you did not even include Samus. Maybe that is what you meant by missed... Oh, well, I am going to keep my joke because I am a douche.
woops. Ill fix that.
i meant by Vets

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
It has been a male for all iterations of Smash. Maybe its time for a female voice? Thoughts?

I prefer the current announcer. His style can work excellent in some music.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Isn't the announcer usually implied to be Master and Crazy Hand? At least the fact that they consistently shared the same voice throughout the series.

I mean, not that I know what Master hand's gender is (or if it even has one) and all but yeah.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Isn't the announcer usually implied to be Master and Crazy Hand? At least the fact that they consistently shared the same voice throughout the series.

I mean, not that I know what Master hand's gender is (or if it even has one) and all but yeah.
If the announcer is Master Hand, I can, with great confidence, tell you that the hands do indeed belong to male. I understand it is a bold claim in this day and age, but, I am willing to take the risk.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I don't like Ganondorf being a clone, I don't see a point in changing his moveset now.

For the most part, the moveset has pretty much stayed the same for three Smash games, and since he's one of the most frequently used characters online, I don't think people are really that dissatisfied with his moveset. If anything, changing Ganon to better represent himself from the Zelda games would probably make more people upset than happy.

Morbi

Scavenger
Even though I don't like Ganondorf being a clone, I don't see a point in changing his moveset now.

For the most part, the moveset has pretty much stayed the same for three Smash games, and since he's one of the most frequently used characters online, I don't think people are really that dissatisfied with his moveset. If anything, changing Ganon to better represent himself from the Zelda games would probably make more people upset than happy.
That is why I am more or less just hopeful for Ganon, as in the pig monster, to be added to the roster. Just let us have that, at least. But, being a Legend of Zelda fan when it comes to Smash has always been quite lackluster outside of Melee and an overabundance of castle stages. Honestly, the Breath of the Wild redesign is probably the biggest thing to happen since.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
If Pokemon Trainer was to return wit the same mechanic, I'd love for Squirtle to return because he just is iconic and lovely enough.. but if I had to say 3 different pokemon keeping the same water<grass<fire system, I would love it to be Totodile>Grovyle>Blaziken. And then keep Charizard and Greninja and add Decidueye. Just plain perfection there, change Totodile for a returning Squirtle if you will.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That would be interesting. But, I either want that cool voice filter from Melee or that in-your-face megaphone filter from Smash 64. I'm tired of the goofy voice. Pat Cashman did a much better job than Xander Mobus, actually.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
If Pokemon Trainer was to return wit the same mechanic, I'd love for Squirtle to return because he just is iconic and lovely enough.. but if I had to say 3 different pokemon keeping the same water<grass<fire system, I would love it to be Totodile>Grovyle>Blaziken. And then keep Charizard and Greninja and add Decidueye. Just plain perfection there, change Totodile for a returning Squirtle if you will.
Or Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pichu. Bring back the Pichu at all costs. If they want to really drum up the excitement, dress him up in a little detective hat.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
hey I'm back.

Ganon should defintely be decloned. Change some of his specials, and give him his abilities in Zelda. (He has a sword, please use it.)

Pokemon Trainer isn't going to come back. They already appear to have ditched transformation characters, and while it might be streching it, I consider Pokemon Trainer to be a transformation character. They could bring back Squitle and Ivysaur, but it seems unlikely.

The announcer isn't something I really will notice, but being completly honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Xander Moibus returns to voice the announcer. If this is a Splatoon 2 Style sequel, I would count on that. As for a new announcer with a female voice, I can defintely see a female voice. The only negative is that it could maybe kinda shake up the theory that Master Hand=Announcer, but it is a minor detail, and one I don't have any problems with at all.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Bring back Jeff Manning or Dean Harrington as the announcer. I'm certain all fans of the series will rejoice for either one. I'm sure there's a lot of people who wanna hear their favorite characters that have made it in since then, announced by them.

Edit: Jeff Manning (Smash 64) is the voice of the Red Bomber in Super Bomberman R on Nintendo Switch. Which means if Bomberman gets in with Red Bomber as a costume, then we could very well have Jeff Manning back.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
New question ive been thinking about. How to do want the Opening of Smash 5 to be? 64's use of ingame models OP, Melee's almost all cgi style OP, Brawl's splicing of Gameplay and Subspace OP, Wii U's version of that splicing gameplay and trailers OP, or 3ds's version of Brawl's cliff scene OP, or something new?

Morbi

Scavenger
Bring back Jeff Manning or Dean Harrington as the announcer. I'm certain all fans of the series will rejoice for either one. I'm sure there's a lot of people who wanna hear their favorite characters that have made it in since then, announced by them.
I would not be opposed to it; however, I personally prefer they just go a different direction. Or, well, the same direction, but even more hype. Like Killer Instinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom