• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
“This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, ‘Change this to a meat dish!!'”

“Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped.” - Masahiro Sakurai

Ha ha, I never knew he said that! That's a perfect analogy.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
To be real, Doom Guy's bigger problem is that Sakurai himself is probably terrified of all dangerous weapons. Cartoon violence is one thing, I guess. But once you cross that line? Eek. Nothing scares him more than the thought of Kirby inhaling the buckshot from the Super Shotgun and getting sliced open by his chainsaw. Which, well, considering this is Nintendo, fair enough.
Considering the things the Smash 4 team did to modify Bayonetta while staying faithful to the character, I would like to think Sakurai would be ambitious enough to have a violent character like Doom Guy work for Smash while also being cautious of ratings.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On the "would you want Undertale content regardless of likelihood" discussion, absolutely. Great characters and amazing music to pull from.

Yes because Mario Party 4 is such a cult classic
Okay first of all how dare you diss the best Mario Party game.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
“This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, ‘Change this to a meat dish!!'”

“Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped.” - Masahiro Sakurai
Sakurai just casually roasting all the adults who complain about clones

Morbi

Scavenger
I love Sakurai, but that is kinda talking down to his audience a bit,
Definitely, it is just a common misconception. Treating people like children just because they were not there, watching you develop the entire game and being "in" on the decisions is, quite frankly, ridiculous. And I love clone characters, so I am not just projecting my insecurities.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Maybe it's tough to fathom people complaining about free content.

Just to clarify, it's REALLY tough to fathom people complaining about free content.

I get that people are uninformed as to what goes on in development, but I think it's pretty clear clones didn't take much work...

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I think Trex would work fine as well and I could see a lot of people using him just out of virtue that its a fire based Trex
Fossil Fighter or Trex makes total sense. (also since rogue vivosaurs exist in the 3rd game they wouldnt have to do a pokemon trainer scenario for him)
Also since Vivosaurs are already kinda stylized and chibish sizing wouldnt be as big of a problem since you can just make Trex bowser or zard sized and its fine.
Only problem i see is awkwardly not being able to use arms, but I could see them just having Trex use its jaw.
While I think Fossil Fighter has a better chance and reason, Trex would be awesome and also rep the series well considering hes plastered on all 3 games box art front and center and is often used a ton in marketing.

?????????????

Smash Master
The bottom line with SSB4's clones is that there wasn't enough time to develop a full-blown unique character. It took SO much less time to create three clones, that's all the time they had to do at that point.

The alternative to "not having clones" is "not having anything" instead.

Morbi

Scavenger

Just to clarify, it's REALLY tough to fathom people complaining about free content.
It is not free, fam. I paid sixty dollars for the game. If you want to spend your time making clones instead of doing something that I might personally deem more productive, that is your prerogative, not mine. I do not have to be grateful about your decision in a game that I paid full price for... Twice, and I still did not get my "free" Mewtwo.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I've never played or learned much of anything about Fossil Fighters, but I can't argue with the idea of playing as a T-Rex. Make it happen, Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai: "Yeah, Ive played Undertale once"

Smash Fans: "OMG SANS IN SMASH SWITCH?!" :4ness:
Smash fans just love to over-react all the time.
Watch Sakurai say "I was at a DBZ gathering!"
Smash Fans: "GOKU IN SMMMAAAAASHHH!"
I thought transformation characters being removed was a conscious choice, not a 3DS limitation?

Regardless, if it were up to me, I would not want transformations to return.
It was a 3DS limitaiton. They did plan to make it re-appear, but the 3DS could not handle it. The developers eventaully liked the characters separated as they said it felt "fresh".

Off-Topic, but I hate transformations. I like Zelda, Sams, Sheik and ZSS separated a lot. :p

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I would like to see a Fossil Fighter. I think the series has potential for some fun characters, especially since we only really have one dinosaur on the roster and they likely wouldn't play the same due to how Yoshi works.

That actually was a slight mistranslation, Sourcegaming took another look and it doesn't seem like he was trying to call out anyone:

To make an analogy, it’s as if you were prepared a luxurious, extravagant meal where the cost wasn’t a factor, and on top of that, you were served a free, worthwhile dessert. If this happened at a restaurant, I don’t think any patrons would make a ruckus and say, “change this to the main course!!”

However, this does happen with Smash. I understand that children may not understand the situation, which might be unavoidable. But can you please leave decisions regarding production to me? No matter how you think about it, it’s already a game that’s a bargain.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I'm warming up to the idea of Labo Man. I just find it probably won't happen.
I am the opposite, I just expect it as a "ooh, you got us, ha ha ha, funny, great choice Sakurai, only you can come up with stuff like this, yay!" pick. But I am not warmed up for anything other than using him as a training dummy.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Looking at this quote, I'm inclined to believe that Sakurai meant the kind of dessert that you can safely ignore or have if you like it. For those who are fans of the dessert, it's a bonus to them. If they don't, there's no real harm of not having it as they were a free bonus.
It's kinda like some restaurants I know that give you some preservatives, or whatever word I'm looking for, for free while you wait for your food and you can have them if you like them or simply ignore them as it didn't cost you anything.

Edit: Nevermind apparently. Someone got the translation for what it was regarding to. Dang moonrune translations.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I thought transformation characters being removed was a conscious choice, not a 3DS limitation?

Regardless, if it were up to me, I would not want transformations to return.
I think separating Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS had mostly a positive response, so whether or not it was for technical difficulties, they still should remain separate, really.

Though I'd personally like if Sakurai would experiment on Pokémon Trainer again, it's such a unique concept which could work with a little fixing here and there.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Fossil Fighters has a ton of merit. Being first party and actually being a franchise helps it further.
If Sakurai was going to be more respectful to the series I could see him doing FF
but being real, if he wanted a big bang
Hed go with Trex as the rep just out of virtue of being a fire based Trex that people could play. Surely he understands that the sentence is just awesomesauce.

(but hey guys a kid with a pickaxe who can summon dinos is cool too right?)

Morbi

Scavenger
I think separating Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS had mostly a positive response, so whether or not it was for technical difficulties, they still should remain separate, really.

Though I'd personally like if Sakurai would experiment on Pokémon Trainer again, it's such a unique concept which could work with a little fixing here and there.
And by experiment, you mean get rid of the fatigue mechanic? Agreed.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I get that people are uninformed as to what goes on in development, but I think it's pretty clear clones didn't take much work...
It's not tough. It's infuriating. And if I had any sense of mind, I would just immediately block people who complain about clones. I know everyone should have their own opinion, but I really think there should be a rule against moaning about clones on this website. It's okay to propose that they get updated and become more different, but if you're gonna complain about them for merely existing, that's something else.

But, whatever though. I don't wanna go on the record as a guy who advocates for not being able to speak your mind, no matter how absurd your thoughts are.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

If Pokemon Trainer were to return, would you want to see new Pokemon or Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard? What if Pokemon Trainer was a Gen 7 Pokemon character using Popplio, Torracat, and Decidueye?

Morbi

Scavenger
If Pokemon Trainer were to return, would you want to see new Pokemon or Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard? What if Pokemon Trainer was a Gen 7 Pokemon character using Popplio, Torracat, and Decidueye?
I prefer he just returns with Blastoise. **** the other Pokemon, Blastoise is the only one who can stand up to the almighty Charizard and everyone knows it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If anything, Sakurai should talk down to his fans more often. When he works himself to death everyday, with no holidays, to bring us great games that we beg for, and then fans whine like spoiled brats because he gave us MORE CHARACTERS...

If anything he was being NICE in that quote.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I prefer he just returns with Blastoise. **** the other Pokemon, Blastoise is the only one who can stand up to the almighty Charizard and everyone knows it.
After seeing how stiff Blastoise is in Pokken, no thanks... Haha. I really like Blastoise, but putting him in a game where he needs to be pretty mobile makes him look awkward if Pokken is anything to go off of.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Pokemon Trainer was an absolutely brilliant concept.

It was just executed very, very poorly.

That reminds me though... I REALLY want this new Smash to have an "All Star Battle" mode.

No, not the regular All Star mode. As in, You choose one character for each stock, and when you die, you switch to that other character. It'd lead to some REALLY fun matches, both casual and competitive.

In fact, Smash Tour actually did this with the characters you gathered on the board in the final match. Why they kept that ONLY in Smash Tour is baffling to me.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I just thought I'd point out that the Smash for Switch trailer has more views than every Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U trailer, with the exception of the 1st trailer.

Morbi

Scavenger
After seeing how stiff Blastoise is in Pokken, no thanks... Haha. I really like Blastoise, but putting him in a game where he needs to be pretty mobile makes him look awkward if Pokken is anything to go off of.
I see what you mean, but Smash is not Pokken. Not really the best comparison. And even in that game, boi can dash and slip and slide like he is drunk at a pool party, fam. He was more mobile than I expected, personally. It is not as though he would be as stiff as Ganon. So I fail to see the problem.

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh my... Hahaha. What an interesting trio...
One of Eevee's specials is cycling through it's potential evolutions. Once you've made your choice, you can't change it, but then Eevee gets new special moves reflecting that choice.

Ditto's main special move makes it transform into the opponent it's closest to, copying their moveset. The only way to switch is by switching Ditto out.

Snorlax is your consistent fighter. He's powerful and takes a while to bring down, but he's a big target and incredibly slow.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I just thought I'd point out that the Smash for Switch trailer has more views than every Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U trailer, with the exception of the 1st trailer.
Not hard to beat the Wii U. Even with the 3DS accompanying it.
Smash Switch will sell more than Wii U. Not sure if it could beat 3DS+ WiiU.

Morbi

Scavenger
If anything, Sakurai should talk down to his fans more often. When he works himself to death everyday, with no holidays, to bring us great games that we beg for, and then fans whine like spoiled brats because he gave us MORE CHARACTERS...

If anything he was being NICE in that quote.
That is weird, you were just berating people for being irrational and here you are telling us that someone just doing their job deserves more holidays. Working on the game does not entitle him to publicly criticize fans. Clearly, that was a mistranslated, but he still has to uphold the PR aspect of his job... Which is required, homie.

If he cannot control himself, he can do what literally every other developer who "works themselves to death" does and keep their mouths shut.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I see what you mean, but Smash is not Pokken. Not really the best comparison. And even in that game, boi can dash and slip and slide like he is drunk at a pool party, fam. He was more mobile than I expected, personally. It is not as though he would be as stiff as Ganon. So I fail to see the problem.
I think the comparison is pretty clear, being a fighting game involving jumping and fast movement. That applies to both Smash and Pokken. I never said he looked slow or couldn't move well in Pokken, all I said was that he looked awkward doing those movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom