• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
What addition or change, if anything, would ruin Smash Switch for you? Or at least get you to play an older one instead. Is it something realistic? A mechanic change?

(Removing things doesn't count, only changing or adding.)

I can't really think of much that would kill a Smash game for me at this point, but if they re-added tripping I'd personally be pretty upset..

Or if they did the Mario Kart 8 DX thing and the only way to play 3+ player LAN is to use the single Joycons, of course, that wouldn't kill the game for me, it'd just be really frustrating.
sand undertale joins the brawl i would much rather have papyrus

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
What addition or change, if anything, would ruin Smash Switch for you? Or at least get you to play an older one instead. Is it something realistic? A mechanic change?

I can't really think of much that would kill a Smash game for me at this point, but if they re-added tripping I'd personally be pretty upset..

Or if they did the Mario Kart 8 DX thing and the only way to play 3+ player LAN is to use the single Joycons, of course, that wouldn't kill the game for me, it'd just be really frustrating.
I'd be pissed if they brought back Rage, but even that wouldn't be enough to ruin Smash Switch for me.

?????????????

Smash Master

I can't think of anything realistic that would ruin it for me.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

It wouldn’t keep me from buying the game, but I would probably be less enthusiastic about the new Smash if it played like Brawl did. I’m fairly casual (I watch competitive Smash but I don’t go to tournaments), but Brawl is just flat-out not fun to play or watch. Having every character feel like they have invisible parachutes strapped to their back in the air but having rocks tied to their feet on the ground does not make for an enjoyable experience.

On the unrealistic side, if they managed to cut my favorite veterans and add a bunch of characters I hate... Yeah, I’d probably not be all that interested. :laugh:

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I don't really have the time to get really heavily involved in learning a complicated game so anything that had melee levels of technical depth would turn me off a bit. Wouldn't be a deal breaker and there seems to be no way that'd even happen considering Sakurai's feelings on the matter. On the other hand I do think Brawl was too far in the other direction and I'd be upset if they brought back tripping and whatever else. I like a balance.

What would actually make me not pick up the game? If the crossovers started reaching outside of video games. Not trying to see Goku or Shrek they both have their own fighting games to be in.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I can't think of anything realistic that would ruin it for me.
Pretty much the same here. Even if the gameplay was the same as Brawl, i'd still at least pick it up and play it before eventually returning to 4 & PM.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm kinda in the middle with this. I don't think it's a port, but I don't think it's a fully new game either. I think it'll build off Smash 4 and add in enough content for it be considered a new game. Can't wait to see more of it hopefully at e3.
Eyy, welcome to smashboards friend.

I'm sorta with you there, but I think I lean a bit towards the 'new game' side, what with Link's design being from BoTW. Honestly though I wouldn't be mad if this were just new content on smash 4's engine.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I don't blame them if they use the Sm4sh engine. I only hope for some newcomers, Ice Climbers, menu changes, and not Smash Tour.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'd personally like them to use as much as Sm4sh as possible, but overhauling the balance, gameplay mechanics and visuals.

I don't even care if they use most of the same models and textures as long as we get better lighting and a bunch of new costumes for the characters.

Just give me a lot of new content while adjusting and overhauling the old content. No need to make everything again.

New game psuedo-port in the same way Splatoon 2 is sounds perfect to me.

I really don’t expect a lot of news until E3, that and directs giving info here and there.
I don't expect any news until E3 honestly. We might start hearing some small things about a week earlier or a pre-E3 direct specifically dedicated to Smash, but I otherwise expect we'll hear absolutely nothing until then.

Last edited:

Chron

Smash Journeyman

Or if they did the Mario Kart 8 DX thing and the only way to play 3+ player LAN is to use the single Joycons. Of course, that wouldn't kill the game for me, it'd just be really frustrating.
I want it to be as NEW as possible.
I don't think anything is going to keep me from buying the game, even if it's just for the new characters.
There are, however, some features I desperately want changed. Number one on my list is the return of Direction Air Dodging, or at least the removal of multiple air dodges. After that is: no more Rage, no i-frames on counters, ledge hogging, L-Cancelling, and more techskill in general, also Tripping needs to never return.

The one thing that will keep me from buying, is if it is somehow a port/extremely similar to Smash 4.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Would you rather get more characters for pre-existing franchises (Mario, Pokémon, etc.), or get more characters who represent new franchises (Splatoon, ARMS, etc.)?

Normally, I'd like a balance of both, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the former. There's a ton of cool franchises that aren't in Smash yet, but most of them can't compete with what we already have. Plus, Sakurai neglected to give a lot of big franchises a newcomer in Smash 4. I think those franchises should get someone new added this time.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Would you rather get more characters for pre-existing franchises (Mario, Pokémon, etc.), or get more characters who represent new franchises (Splatoon, ARMS, etc.)?

Normally, I'd like a balance of both, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the former. There's a ton of cool franchises that aren't in Smash yet, but most of them can't compete with what we already have. Plus, Sakurai neglected to give a lot of big franchises a newcomer in Smash 4. I think those franchises should get someone new added this time.
New franchises. We need more of that. Wii Fit was a wonderful start!

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Can't think of anything that would stop me from buying the game, although there are certainly things I hope for.

Beyond new characters/stages/music, one of my big hopes would be a new story mode. SSE, even with its faults, was such a neat idea, with all of the cutscenes and cool character interactions. Even if not a direct sequel, I hope there's something like that.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

I'm with you on that one. There aren't that many unrepresented franchises that I do care about enough to warrant Smash hype imo. Besides several franchises really deserve newcomers (Zelda and Kirby are the one that strike me the most).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Former, if only because I don't have a personal attachment to franchises that fall in the latter category barring third parties.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It has to be said, I'm not a big fan of many Indie Games. The only one I've ever really enjoyed for more than an hour or two was Shovel Knight, and maybe Ori and the Blind Forest. If we do wind up getting an Indie character in Smash, I'm really hoping its Shovel Knight. That being said, I don't particularly want and indie character at all if possible.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Can we drop the Xenoblade 2 character design discussion? Every single time that gets brought up, it opens up a can of worms given how polarizing it is.
It's already dropped due to not only being polarized but also end up being off topic...

If you want it to stop, then just ignored it lol.
hmm Inkling already got in so I'll exclude that one from the list.

1. Rex + Pyra
2. Springman
3. Bandana Dee
4. Waluigi
5. Daisy
I would put Bandan Dee to Number 2 and replace Springman as Minmin...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

The former. Barring third parties, the characters from unrepresented Nintendo franchises that I want (Starfy, Henry Fleming, Muddy Mole) are all pretty much no-hopers, while there are several characters I'd want from, say, Fire Emblem, Super Mario, or Pokémon.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I found the Nindies showcase to be disappointing. None of the games seemed interesting, aside from the Messenger, which would be really frustrating if it's anything like the games that it's clearly inspired by.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The former. Barring third parties, the characters from unrepresented Nintendo franchises that I want (Starfy, Henry Fleming, Muddy Mole) are all pretty much no-hopers, while there are several characters I'd want from, say, Fire Emblem, Super Mario, or Pokémon.
I think franchises like those are actually ones I think there shouldn't be more new characters... those franchise already have one of the most characters in Smash 4 roster... don't get wrong I do want at least one new Pokemon and FE character... but I think LoZ and probably other smaller Nintendo franchise to get characters. Also don't forget the third parties.
I found the Nindies showcase to be disappointing. None of the games seemed interesting, aside from the Messenger, which would be really frustrating if it's anything like the games that it's clearly inspired by.
Yeah, it was pretty short...
That Bomb Chicken looks fun though.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I think I'm in a weird spot where I want characters who don't fit either category, like Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, and Harvest Moon. Those franchises aren't new, but they aren't pre-existing either... Basically all my wants fit that middle ground category except Bewear and Mipha.

Now if I had to choose, I'd say i wanted more of the pre-existing franchise characters, like new Pokemon and a Zelda character like Mipha or Midna, not to mention I want another Star Fox character on top of Wolf returning, like Peppy.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I was disappointed because they didn't even bring up Smash once.

But seriously, it was "meh" at best. A little bothered that the three Shovel Knight amiibo STILL weren't brought up. I've had those things on preorder since last fall.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Only two games that really interested me were The Messenger and West of Loathing, but yeah, wasn't all that exciting. Suppose it's good for people who are fans of indie games though.
tfw West of Loathing is better than any Paper Mario game released by "Intelligent" Systems in recent years.

EDIT: for those interested TinyBuild is doing their own showcase in a few minutes. They plan on revealing a "super secret Switch reveal" as well as releasing Hello Neighbor and Clustertruck on Switch, among other things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1J_hl0rP-k&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
You have yourself to blame for getting excited over indies.

Staarih

Smash Master
You have yourself to blame for getting excited over indies.
It's perfectly fine to get excited about indie games tho.

That said, it was a bit of the shorter side and nothing of personal interest. Not sure if a four day notice was really needed for that lol.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I think it would've been pretty unfair to the indie studios to overshadow them with a Smash Bros. related thing. This is their chance to show what they have to offer.

That said I would've liked to see a release date on King of Cards as well as the Shovel Knight amiibos I've had preordered for a while now.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Agreed. All of these games are either uninteresting to me or ancient. I was hoping for some info on games like Wargroove, King Knight, Stardew Valley's Multiplayer, etc;

Even stuff I figured were a shoe-in like a Terraria port I suppose just wasn't happening.

I want the bomb chicken for Smash.
"If Konami won't let us have Bomberman, we'll just make our own!"

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
There was never a chance that they were going to talk about Smash in something like that. It would completely defeat the point of it and completely draw attention away from what it is suppose to be about.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well any minor hopes of a "Shovel Knight in Smash" reveal or something like that has been dashed.

Even outside of that unrealistic hope, it was kinda disappointing. Banner Saga's cool but I don't think it's final news point-worthy.

Well, we can always wait for E3.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Well any minor hopes of a "Shovel Knight in Smash" reveal or somethign liek that has been dashed.
I don't see how at all.

Even if a bunch of indie characters suddenly got into Smash Switch we wouldn't even be seeing it mentioned at this showcase.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
It's perfectly fine to get excited about indie games tho.

That said, it was a bit of the shorter side and nothing of personal interest. Not sure if a four day notice was really needed for that lol.
Getting excited for an indie showcase is like going to a grade school talent show and expecting a Vegas quality production level. I mean every once in a while you will go "hey" that kid can go somewhere someday. But most of the time its a wannabe imitation.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Getting excited for an indie showcase is like going to a grade school talent show and expecting a Vegas quality production level. I mean every once in a while you will go "hey" that kid can go somewhere someday. But most of the time its a wannabe imitation.
You must be great at parties. There's plenty of great, critically acclaimed indie games out there. I don't usually enjoy them myself, but there's a ton of people who do. Why is it so wrong to you for someone to hope to see a game like that in this showcase?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Nintendo: "We're going to have an Indie Showcase!"

*Literally showcases indies*

Fans: WHY DID YOU JUST SHOWCASE INDIE GAMES

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My main issue with that is the Gen 1 Pokemon in the game are Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, and Mewtwo, all of which are either veterans from 64 or hugely iconic. There's not really much to be done about Gen 1 in Smash as a result.
If these Pokemon are simply "Gen 1 Pokemon," then Mario is JUST from Super Mario Bros.

This argument is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom