• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Cause in the case of FF atm he has this going for him...
> 3 games since 2008, all 3 of which have sold well and garnered mostly positive reviews from people
> 2018/19 marks the 10th year anniversary of the series (2018 for japan and 2019 for usa)
> Completely unique due to pickaxe and summons or they could use the Trex(Tho i think having the fossil fighter themselves using summons as special moves works better)
> First party character and a nintendo owned IP
> Even tho the series gets little love, Nintendo still cares about it having made 3 games and having virtual console releases for it
> Series has a small but very devout fanbase (there are still active communities for champions even almost 8 years later)
> Smash feels kinda weird not having them atm considering its a series and not a one and done deal like a lot of first party IPs are
> We're getting around the time that a 4th game would come out, I could see them being added alongside the release of a new game since we get a new game ever 3-5 years
> Multiple games to work with and 100s of vivosaurs to work with as well as a ton of music and stage possibilities
> Characters already fit with the smash aesthetic.
> The unique systems in the game would work really well into a unique moveset that brings something new to the game
> Can go with Champions or Frontier designs and add another female rep since you can be a girl in those games.

Things not going for him
> Hes niche and kinda unknown to some people (This is literally all lol)
> You could say he hasnt had a new game in a few years but thats really not a big deal since hes still had a game in recent years lol (Frontier coming out around the time smash 4 did)

So uh yeah lol a lot going for him
It is important to note; however, that just because a character has a lot of merit, they are not necessarily high on the priority list. There might exist a draft where Fossil Fighters are 13th but they only ever get around to developing 9 characters. It happened to MEWTWO. It can happen to anyone.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
It is important to note; however, that just because a character has a lot of merit, they are not necessarily high on the priority list. There might exist a draft where Fossil Fighters are 13th but they only ever get around to developing 9 characters. It happened to MEWTWO. It can happen to anyone.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that at some point maybe they did make a movelist for him in Smash 4 but ran out of time or chose other chars before him. Smash 4 really got rid of a ton of heavy hitters leaving the door a lil more open this time around. I do think smash 5 is when his chances are the absolute best. I dount he was high on the smash 4 priority list since there was still so much to do alongside getting in a few more heavy hitters and making 2 games for 2 systems. This time around it seems far more doable and reasonable for him to get in.
I also still think a good reason for him not being in smash 4 is 3DS woulnt be able to handle his summons. I doubt the 3DS could handle 4 fossil fighters summoning 4 vivosaurs between them at once.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that at some point maybe they did make a movelist for him in Smash 4 but ran out of time or chose other chars before him. Smash 4 really got rid of a ton of heavy hitters leaving the door a lil more open this time around. I do think smash 5 is when his chances are the absolute best. I dount he was high on the smash 4 priority list since there was still so much to do alongside getting in a few more heavy hitters and making 2 games for 2 systems. This time around it seems far more doable and reasonable for him to get in.
I also still think a good reason for him not being in smash 4 is 3DS woulnt be able to handle his summons. I doubt the 3DS could handle 4 fossil fighters summoning 4 vivosaurs between them at once.
I definitely agree with your sentiment; however, it does apply to everyone. While Fossil Fighter has a great chance this time around, with every relevant character out of the way other than the newest and freshest (such as my boy, Spring Man), so does everyone else. All niche characters are up for grabs now.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that at some point maybe they did make a movelist for him in Smash 4 but ran out of time or chose other chars before him. Smash 4 really got rid of a ton of heavy hitters leaving the door a lil more open this time around. I do think smash 5 is when his chances are the absolute best.
How do you figure that when the last Fossil Fighters game was on the 3DS 3 years ago, released to lukewarm reception at best, and didn't even break a million sales worldwide?

Morbi

Scavenger
How do you figure that when the last Fossil Fighters game was on the 3DS 3 years ago, released to lukewarm reception at best, and didn't even break a million sales worldwide?
To be completely fair, not a lot of Nintendo games break a million sales. It is honestly a bit pathetic and one would think that would be THE definitive reason to branch out their representation in Smash.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
On the subject of fossil fighters, I think this should be the smash where it recognizes underrated franchises that aren’t retro or necessarily current, like fossil fighters, advance wars, and golden sun

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
To be completely fair, not a lot of Nintendo games break a million sales. It is honestly a bit pathetic and one would think that would be THE definitive reason to branch out their representation in Smash.
Fair point. However, I just fail to see how the Fossil Fighter would be on Smash's radar at this point. Unless the devs of that series have a new game in the works for the Switch that they're gonna surprise us with soon.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Fossil Fighters has sold better than a lot of nintendo series. Also sales arent the main factor towards if a char gets in or not lol.

I do think he has a very very good shot this time around.

Also I think a new game will be shown soon, we're getting around the time that that would happen anyways.

D

Deleted member

Wouldn’t sakurai have to go through Disney to get sora though?

That alone makes sora more than unlikely at this point tbh
Yeah, even though Kingdom Hearts is developed by Square, it's owned by Disney. So that's quite the hurdle.
Normally, I doubt it would be a hurdle regardless of who owns it; however, Disney specifically, yeah. Probably not going to happen. I figured they owned the character, because, well, that is definitely how I would have set it up if I was Square.
...Do you think Disney would really have such a big issue with letting a character in Smash Bros.?

Maybe I'm totally off-base, but it sounds like good, free advertising to me.

There's also the fact that when it comes to Sora, they wouldn't not have Donald and Goofy involved somewhere, even if it's just a Final Smash. So at least their rights have to be wrangled along with Sora.

....as well as anyone or anything else from other Disney properties that's featured in content.

As much as people want to just go the "only anyone and anything original to KH" route, it's not the route that would logically be taken considering what the series is about.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
"Dinosaurs are too big"
This is the only Dinosaur we need"

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
There's also the fact that when it comes to Sora, they wouldn't not have Donald and Goofy involved somewhere, even if it's just a Final Smash. So at least their rights have to be wrangled along with Sora.

....as well as anyone or anything else from other Disney properties that's featured in content.

As much as people want to just go the "only anyone and anything original to KH" route, it's not the route that would logically be taken considering what the series is about.
Oh, yeah, that's a good point too. Sora's rights are all ****ed, and even if he didn't belong to Disney, there are quite a few characters integral to how he operates in his source material that do, so a talk with Disney would be absolutely unavoidable no matter which way you slice it.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm still surprised they didn't use Cloud's Kingdom Hearts costume for Smash.

Dissidia has used his KH costume. They've used Sephiroth's twice at this point. So clearly those designs are entirely Square's.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'll just be over here hoping for Starfy and Bandana Dee like I did last game. Oh, and Rhythm Heaven too, can't forget that.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'll just be over here hoping for Starfy and Bandana Dee like I did last game. Oh, and Rhythm Heaven too, can't forget that.
I can hope for a Rhythm Heaven stage at best.

But a character would make me ecstatic.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Pretty trivial stuff but I mentioned in the RTC about how the latest franchise to have more than one rep was Pokemon(1996). I would love if a franchise in Smash that debuted in the 21st century would finally get a 2nd rep. Like Xenoblade or Pikmin.

Nonsense stuff I know. :p

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
You must be great at parties. There's plenty of great, critically acclaimed indie games out there. I don't usually enjoy them myself, but there's a ton of people who do. Why is it so wrong to you for someone to hope to see a game like that in this showcase?
As I said every once in a while theres a good indie game, but if you ever touched an app store or loaded up Steam you'd know 99% of indie "games" are complete trash and infringing ripoffs. That direct had nothing that stood out and just screamed meh at most.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If this Smash is coming out this year I feel like they're going to have to reveal a newcomer each month after E3 and then some if they want to reveal the starting roster before release, right?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If this Smash is coming out this year I feel like they're going to have to reveal a newcomer each month after E3 and then some if they want to reveal the starting roster before release, right?
Probably. If we went with monthly reveals, I could see them revealing one or two newcomers and veterans with every trailer.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
At the very least, reveal the veterans in the silhouette on the website before E3.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
they just wont reveal all the peeps in the roster till launch

maybe one or two juicy ones, but if they can play their cards close to that chest, they will

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Depends on how much they reveal at E3. And I'm sure they'll have another Smash themed Direct shortly before the game's release. So while it would seem like they're going to show a lot and spread it out evenly over time, it's possible they just give a ton of information in infrequent bursts.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Depends on how many newcomers they reveal at E3. But yeah, if we are really getting the game this year (And around the time paid online becomes live as some people speculate Smash's release to be around that time) then yeah, we'd probably get a newcomer reveal every month, and maybe a new veteran every week or two, or at least, alongside said newcomers.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Unfortunately that means about as much as it did when he was asked during Smash 4. I guess now there's been time to work out a deal, but it would have to actually be in Sakurai's interests to bring them in, too. I'd like to see him in though.

D

Deleted member

Bowserlick Bowserlick

However, the latest game also introduced a protagonist Vivosaur named "Nibbles".

Who functions like a Digimon, actually.

He has numerous battle forms that he turns into that are upgraded as the game goes on.

Starting with the default Nibblesaurus.

Then the Munchasaurus.

Then the Chompasaurus.

And finally, the Crimson Ravager.

Last edited by a moderator:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I've never really heard of Fossil Fighters outside of knowing it exists.

D

Deleted member

That being said, I doubt we'll get a Fossil Fighters character at this point.
Frontier was released in that awkward period where it would have been way too late to have something like Nibblesaurus considered for Smash 4 and way too early to have a shot at Smash Switch since it came out before Smash 4 (hence why there was at least a trophy for the game in the 3DS Smash).

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I agree with Golden, but darn if I wouldn't love having T-Rex in Smash, lol. One of my old pipe dream picks, if I'm being truthful.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I was wondering why I've literally never heard of Fossil Fighters outside of this particular thread, but according to Wikipedia that's because only the most recent game was released here in Europe.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All I know of Fossil Fighters is that cheesey trailer music. Oh no, there it goes again!

"Adventure's right around the bend~"
"And the world's got wonder to spare~"

AAAHHHH!!!!!

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Honestly, I would love if Fossil Fighters at least got some music. Some of Frontier's music is pretty great imo, like End of an Era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom