• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
Preprare for a long post. This is the first Smash game where I truly understand the entire hype and wish to engage in.

I'm giving some ideas on how I would handle Smash for Switch and how they will probably handle it. (Might be outlandish, but hear my ideas out. In spoiler because of wall of text.)

Game Mechanics-
They will 100% use Smash 4 as a base. No drastic changes in gameplay. If I was in charge, I would probably do some small changes.
  • Airdoging is changed. If you smash a direction and airdogde at the same time, you perform a melee-style airdoge in that direction. Wavedashing is basically back, but now, players can alternate between Smash 4's and Melee's airdoges. There would be a tiny bit of lag when wavedashing, so it isn't as useful, but it can still work.
  • Untechable situations are fixed. Teching is now possible in all variations.
  • Final Smashes rework- Smash Balls are still present, but now have a set HP (60%). Alternate Game Mode can turn Final Smashes to a traditional meter.
Characters-
The Entire Roster is reevaluated. Here are my choices/Predictions for characters.

• Mario reps are perfect. All Mario Reps return. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser get moveset reworks, but no massive redesigns. (Mario would only get Cappy as a Side-B multihit projectile that can combo to his grabs, for example.) Yoshi still gets counted as a solo franchise.
  • Wario and DK Franchises get Brand new reps. DK gets King K Rool after fan demand. Wario gets Ashley, the first of a movement that takes assist trophies into newcomers.
  • Zelda Franchise gets reworks and newcomers. Link will get major rework to BOTW form. Toon Link will stay the same. Zelda and Shiek are back, and to the surprise of many, Zelda is in the Twilight Princess Incarnation. Ganondorf will also get the rework he deserves. Newcomers for Zelda include Tetra and a BOTW character (Probably one of the champions)
  • All the current Pokemon Reps return. Pikachu gets reworks to be a tiny bit more like the Pokken incarnation. Only Pokemon newcomer is Deduciye. No Pokemon Switch representative as that game will probably launch in 2019.
  • Star Fox returns to their Brawl Reps with Wolf coming back.
  • Kirby gets a newcomer in the form of Bandana Waddle Dee.
  • Lucina and Roy are out. Robin, Corrin, Ike and Marth all return. A FE switch character will make it in the game, and a older FE rep will also arrive (My money's on Lyn).
  • Metroid gets no newcomers. Sorry Ridley Fans.
  • Ness and Lucas return.
  • Kid Icarus gets a new rep in the form of Viridi.
  • Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt, Olimar, Mr. Game and Watch, Villager, ROB, Little Mac, and Wii Fit Trainer return.
  • Shulk is back. Rex/Pyra will also join as a tag team duo.
  • Speaking of Tag team duos, Ice Climbers are back.
  • Inklings join as newcomers. A Arms character can go 50/50. (If they do it, my money's on Min Min over Springman.
  • Takamuru will join as a Retro Rep, and Chibi Robo will surprisingly join as that out there character.
  • Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Bayonetta, and Ryu are 100% returning. Cloud is a 50/50.
  • If Konami decides to cooperate, Snake and Bomberman will arrive.
  • Two new Third Parties to round out the roster include Rayman (first character from a "western dev") and Sora (This makes headlines.)
  • 9 DLC Characters (While these can be anybody, the thing I predict they will do is focus on Third Party for DLC. Tails, Isaac, Wonder Red, Maxwell, Dante, and Chun-Li will join. Three Indie Characters will join. these will be Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Steve from Minecraft (counts as indie by technicality).
Stages-

I'm not too strict on Stages, but I would like some request on this aspect.

• Omega Forms return, but they aren't just FD clones. Instead, Omega Forms would remove Hazards, remove walls, make plataforms nonsolid, and remove walkoffs.
  • Most Stages from Smash 4 return, but some new Switch based stages. Prepare for New Donk City, A Splatoon Stage, and probably an Arms Stage.
Other Things-
  • Bring a full fedge story mode. Bring back Subspace.
  • MAKE A GOOD SOUNDTRACK. Bring the live orchestra/bands they used and have them play the music for the game.
  • Support the Competive Scene. Team up with TO's, make a circuit, contribute to pot bonuses, and work with TO's for a universal Ruleset.
That is all I have to say. Let's hope this next year is one incredible one for the community.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I've never really heard of Fossil Fighters outside of knowing it exists.
I hadn't even heard of it existing until I read it here, tbh. But I didn't play the 3DS. Doesn't mean it's impossible for a character to make an appearance, but I think some people might be exaggerating its importance.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner of the last poll was Prince Ephraim. As expected, Eirika was decently popular but failed to reach her brother's level of popularity. Though Seth and Innes were proven to be just as unpopular.

This next one is the last Sacred Stones poll, with half fan favorite units and half villains. Your choices are Valter, Lyon, Joshua, and Lute.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Imagine the shock if it really ends up just being a port.
The fact is, even if it is a DX port, if it adds enough stages, all modes/event matches/challenges, from 3ds and brawl, extra stages for smash run, and of course characters it’s going to be what a lot of people would be hoping for in a new game.

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh, I had another question:

If they did add a Rhythm Heaven character, who do you pick?

Personally, my favorite choice is Karate Joe.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

I don't really know enough about the series. The Wrestler is my fave though, with the Reporter.

I've always wondered though... if the Gematsu leak never happened, would people have ever thought of having a RH rep? It really took off after that.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

In my opinion, I'd prefer someone like Tibby from Megamix or the Chorus Kids. I feel like Karate Joe might do fine, but I feel like characters like Tibby represent Rhythm Heaven's inherent quirkiness a bit better. After all, given the choice between a Karate master and a small dog with a pink afro whose species turn into castles when they get older, I'm gonna personally pick Tibby.

Not to mention, Tibby is arguably the main character of Rhythm Heaven's first story mode of sorts, so there's that too.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't really know enough about the series. The Wrestler is my fave though, with the Reporter.

I've always wondered though... if the Gematsu leak never happened, would people have ever thought of having a RH rep? It really took off after that.
I recall people supporting the likes of Karate Joe and Rythm girl before the Gematsu leak. I think the most it did was get some people interested in the Chorus kids.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Preprare for a long post. This is the first Smash game where I truly understand the entire hype and wish to engage in.

I'm giving some ideas on how I would handle Smash for Switch and how they will probably handle it. (Might be outlandish, but hear my ideas out. In spoiler because of wall of text.)

Game Mechanics-
They will 100% use Smash 4 as a base. No drastic changes in gameplay. If I was in charge, I would probably do some small changes.
  • Airdoging is changed. If you smash a direction and airdogde at the same time, you perform a melee-style airdoge in that direction. Wavedashing is basically back, but now, players can alternate between Smash 4's and Melee's airdoges. There would be a tiny bit of lag when wavedashing, so it isn't as useful, but it can still work.
  • Untechable situations are fixed. Teching is now possible in all variations.
  • Final Smashes rework- Smash Balls are still present, but now have a set HP (60%). Alternate Game Mode can turn Final Smashes to a traditional meter.
Characters-
The Entire Roster is reevaluated. Here are my choices/Predictions for characters.

• Mario reps are perfect. All Mario Reps return. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser get moveset reworks, but no massive redesigns. (Mario would only get Cappy as a Side-B multihit projectile that can combo to his grabs, for example.) Yoshi still gets counted as a solo franchise.
  • Wario and DK Franchises get Brand new reps. DK gets King K Rool after fan demand. Wario gets Ashley, the first of a movement that takes assist trophies into newcomers.
  • Zelda Franchise gets reworks and newcomers. Link will get major rework to BOTW form. Toon Link will stay the same. Zelda and Shiek are back, and to the surprise of many, Zelda is in the Twilight Princess Incarnation. Ganondorf will also get the rework he deserves. Newcomers for Zelda include Tetra and a BOTW character (Probably one of the champions)
  • All the current Pokemon Reps return. Pikachu gets reworks to be a tiny bit more like the Pokken incarnation. Only Pokemon newcomer is Deduciye. No Pokemon Switch representative as that game will probably launch in 2019.
  • Star Fox returns to their Brawl Reps with Wolf coming back.
  • Kirby gets a newcomer in the form of Bandana Waddle Dee.
  • Lucina and Roy are out. Robin, Corrin, Ike and Marth all return. A FE switch character will make it in the game, and a older FE rep will also arrive (My money's on Lyn).
  • Metroid gets no newcomers. Sorry Ridley Fans.
  • Ness and Lucas return.
  • Kid Icarus gets a new rep in the form of Viridi.
  • Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt, Olimar, Mr. Game and Watch, Villager, ROB, Little Mac, and Wii Fit Trainer return.
  • Shulk is back. Rex/Pyra will also join as a tag team duo.
  • Speaking of Tag team duos, Ice Climbers are back.
  • Inklings join as newcomers. A Arms character can go 50/50. (If they do it, my money's on Min Min over Springman.
  • Takamuru will join as a Retro Rep, and Chibi Robo will surprisingly join as that out there character.
  • Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Bayonetta, and Ryu are 100% returning. Cloud is a 50/50.
  • If Konami decides to cooperate, Snake and Bomberman will arrive.
  • Two new Third Parties to round out the roster include Rayman (first character from a "western dev") and Sora (This makes headlines.)
  • 9 DLC Characters (While these can be anybody, the thing I predict they will do is focus on Third Party for DLC. Tails, Isaac, Wonder Red, Maxwell, Dante, and Chun-Li will join. Three Indie Characters will join. these will be Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Steve from Minecraft (counts as indie by technicality).
Stages-

I'm not too strict on Stages, but I would like some request on this aspect.

• Omega Forms return, but they aren't just FD clones. Instead, Omega Forms would remove Hazards, remove walls, make plataforms nonsolid, and remove walkoffs.
  • Most Stages from Smash 4 return, but some new Switch based stages. Prepare for New Donk City, A Splatoon Stage, and probably an Arms Stage.
Other Things-
  • Bring a full fedge story mode. Bring back Subspace.
  • MAKE A GOOD SOUNDTRACK. Bring the live orchestra/bands they used and have them play the music for the game.
  • Support the Competive Scene. Team up with TO's, make a circuit, contribute to pot bonuses, and work with TO's for a universal Ruleset.
That is all I have to say. Let's hope this next year is one incredible one for the community.
Why do you think Zelda would still be in her Twilight Princess form when Link isn't? Just curious.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Controversially, I feel as though the Chorus Kids from the Gematsu leak a while back are among the most likely characters for Smash switch, especially considering three factors:
1) Unused Rhythm Heaven Character Icons datamined in Smash 4 suggest that a Rhythm Heaven character was at least highly considered, similarly to the ice climbers character icon.
2) The Gematsu leak had mostly correct information many months ahead of the competition, likely from an early phase of Smash 4 development where characters were not yet finalized (see Chrom).
3) Many, if not most, people agree that Ice Climbers are coming back as long as the hardware on the switch allows for their return. If Ice Climbers are likely, the similar Chorus Men could also be likely.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why do you think Zelda would still be in her Twilight Princess form when Link isn't? Just curious.
I think it's probably because Zelda's Breath of the Wild incarnation never really demonstrated her ability to fight. It's probably a dumb reason though, as Breath of the Wild Zelda could always specialize in the use of the Sheikah Slate.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I think it's probably because Zelda's Breath of the Wild incarnation never really demonstrated her ability to fight. It's probably a dumb reason though, as Breath of the Wild Zelda could always specialize in the use of the Sheikah Slate.
Is that going to stop Hyrule Warriors from having a Breath of the Wild skin when it gets on Switch?

Probably not?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ocarina of Time Zelda never demonstrated her ability to fight. She was given Nayru's Love, Farore's Wind, and Din's Fire which were all abilities granted to Link.

So BOTW Zelda may likely have Daruk's Protection, Urbosa's Fury, Revali's Gale, and Mipha's Grace.

I don't know where you got the idea that it would be BOTW Link & TP Zelda. If you look at those silhouettes unedited, the figure which is supposedly Zelda looks just as much like BOTW as it does any other incarnation of her. It's the least identifiable silhouette in the crowd.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I really doubt the Chorus Kids are 3 characters, they are probably 3 models in one character, like how Duck Hunt is 2 in 1.
They would probably always be near each other and be unable to separate.

I actually like the idea of the Chorus Kids, only because they look cute lol.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Picking one specific character from Rhythm Heaven would be like picking one specific character from a Game & Watch game who is limited to the abilities of that specific game. A Rhythm Heaven character should be someone that encompasses several of the mini games.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't know where you got the idea that it would be BOTW Link & TP Zelda. If you look at those silhouettes unedited, the figure which is supposedly Zelda looks just as much like BOTW as it does any other incarnation of her. It's the least identifiable silhouette in the crowd.
I'm not the one who started that topic. DGAMER started it on the previous page.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Is that going to stop Hyrule Warriors from having a Breath of the Wild skin when it gets on Switch?

Probably not?
Yes, she is a skin in Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I just wanted to point out that the silhouette probably more accurately portrays this form of Zelda than the Twilight Princess incarnation.
e7bcdbb0fb2c0f429c53aff226b97052.jpg
Capture.PNG

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Picking one specific character from Rhythm Heaven would be like picking one specific character from a Game & Watch game who is limited to the abilities of that specific game. A Rhythm Heaven character should be someone that encompasses several of the mini games.
Which is kinda why I drift towards Tibby a bit, as he's the main character of Megamix's story, which includes most of the rhythm games in the bunch in the compilation game, so he can pull from the entire series.

Now do I think he will be the RH character? I dunno, but I feel like he would at least be considered for Rhythm Heaven.

?????????????

Smash Master
Soooooo...do you have an idea, or are you only going to criticize mine?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Which is kinda why I drift towards Tibby a bit, as he's the main character of Megamix's story, which includes most of the rhythm games in the bunch in the compilation game, so he can pull from the entire series.

Now do I think he will be the RH character? I dunno, but I feel like he would at least be considered for Rhythm Heaven.
Tap Trial Girl. She's the mascot.

http://rhythmheaven.wikia.com/wiki/Tap_Trial_Girl

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Question: How do people feel about unlockable characters this time around? I know some people hate having to fill out the roster through unlocks, and the whole concept of unlocking rosters in fighting games is falling out of favor, but for me, the feeling of excitement from the Challenger Approaching screen is almost unmatched in gaming.

Should they maybe hide mostly veterans behind the unlocks, meaning people don't have to wait for the exciting new characters?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I just wanted to point out that the silhouette probably more accurately portrays this form of Zelda than the Twilight Princess incarnation.
View attachment 139173 View attachment 139174
Really like that design and hope they use that and her main outfit from BotW, but there is no way that silhouette there is Zelda. She would have to be almost as tall as Samus, which would make her tower over Link, which just is not the case.

Question: How do people feel about unlockable characters this time around? I know some people hate having to fill out the roster through unlocks, and the whole concept of unlocking rosters in fighting games is falling out of favor, but for me, the feeling of excitement from the Challenger Approaching screen is almost unmatched in gaming.

Should they maybe hide mostly veterans behind the unlocks, meaning people don't have to wait for the exciting new characters?
I love being able to unlock characters. Personally, I would like a mixture of Veterans and Newcomers to be unlock able so the starting roster is fresh and you have less of an idea about who may be unlocked first/next.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Any actual guesses of which characters we've seen in the shadows besides the obvious DK, Bowser and Pit?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Could also be Marth, but yes.

Twilight Princess Zelda, aka, Bottom Tier Zelda, has officially left the building ever since BOTW Link showed up.
There's two silhouettes that look like Marth. Mosty the one on the left.

Soooooo...do you have an idea, or are you only going to criticize mine?
I've actually explained what I expect to see from Rhythm Heaven several times, including just now. Don't be so defensive. If I wanna criticize you for anything for any reason I want then that's exactly what I'll do.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
View attachment 139173 View attachment 139174
Yeah, I can see it.

Kinda odd that the outfit she ends up wearing in Smash is the one she wears the least in game but that's the way it goes. Wonder if her casuals(?) would be an alt.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Really like that design and hope they use that and her main outfit from BotW, but there is no way that silhouette there is Zelda. She would have to be almost as tall as Samus, which would make her tower over Link, which just is not the case.
There's a lot of size inconsistency in that picture.

I love being able to unlock characters. Personally, I would like a mixture of Veterans and Newcomers to be unlock able so the starting roster is fresh and you have less of an idea about who may be unlocked first/next.
Yes! Thank you.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I'd rather see newcomers be unlockable to be one last surprise.

Also, I do enjoy unlocking characters, especially in Smash. That being said, it mostly depends on whether or not who is unlockable stays secret and how characters are unlocked. Getting every character in Smash 4 was easy and the surprises we could have had were spoiled by the ESRB leak.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Chorus Kids are my ideal choice. They best encapsulate the whole "rhythm" feeling in my eyes, especially since their game is directly related to music.

Being the poster boy for the first internationally released Rhythm Heaven game helps, too.

Honestly, at this point, I know they are all going to be spoiled anyway because of the internet. Would rather just have them there from the start at this point so I dont have to spend time grinding for characters I already know are there.
:061:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I want to see some less iconic characters appear as unlockables like in the first two SSB games with characters like Ness and Marth. Characters that not as many people recognize, but have historical significance to Nintendo. Chibi-Robo and Lip are characters I can see happening under that criteria with all the Puzzle League games throughout Nintendo's history and Chib-Robo's recent games.

Discovering characters you weren't aware of is one of the BEST parts of Super Smash Bros games. And for people who do know and love them, it's great for them to get some love for their cult classic favorites. Characters they weren't expecting, but can go "I KNOW WHO THAT IS!"

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

I've always liked unlocking secret characters, even in Smash4 where it was stupid easy. Finishing a battle, then hearing those sirens and seeing the "Challenger Approaching" screen is one of my favorite parts of playing the game during the first few days.

That said, I'm sure some people would rather just head into multiplayer with buddies and have all the characters there ready to go. For me, though, it would be like taking away one of the classic parts of the series, and I would be pretty disappointed.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Yeah this is how I feel. I've yet to see anyone give an actual reason as to why he wouldn't get in when in reality he has everything going for him. The only thing I hear people say is "niche" or "I havent heard of that" which is a really silly reason to say its not possible. I really do think Fossil Fighter has a very realistic chance of getting in this time.

I mean lets be real how many people knew who pit was before brawl? Or who Shulk was before 4? Its a silly argument to me.
Honestly the biggest thing going against Fossil Fighters is that unless its a series with huge Japanese support like Pokémon and Fire Emblem, Sakurai seems to mostly look at series developed within Nintendo (or HAL) proper when it comes to representation. I don't know if its a legitimacy thing or an ease of workload thing, but its hard to imagine series like Fossil Fighters, Snipperclips, Style Savvy, Golden Sun, Sin and Punishment, & Starfy that don't have the notoriety in Japan that Marth's games did having any real shot at representation outside of Assist Trophies or if very lucky a stage like Electroplankton.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I've always liked unlocking secret characters, even in Smash4 where it was stupid easy. Finishing a battle, then hearing those sirens and seeing the "Challenger Approaching" screen is one of my favorite parts of playing the game during the first few days.

That said, I'm sure some people would rather just head into multiplayer with buddies and have all the characters there ready to go. For me, though, it would be like taking away one of the classic parts of the series, and I would be pretty disappointed.
Someone suggested keep unlockable characters, but have a cheat code to access them all for people who don't wanna wait.

And that's cool too. I unlocked most characters in Melee, but my older brother came home with action replay and I was just wondering "Who's gonna be there?"

When I saw Falco and Mewtwo, I flipped my ****. I never would have expected them to be playable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom