• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
To respond to questions as to why Zelda will probably be in TP form instead of BOTW form, I have my reasons.

1. BOTW Zelda doesn't have enough moveset potential. To me, while I haven't played BOTW, I do understand that Zelda never really demonstrated whether or not she could fight. She could use the Champions, but I would much rather prefer to have Link get reworked with the Champions abilities he gets, or have Champions as playable characters. I am aware after reading the thread that OT Zelda also never demonstrated her Ability to fight, but Zelda is capable of fighting, as in TP, it is shown that she knows how to use a bow and arrow, and fire Light Arrows. The issue is that it is her Final Smash, and doesn't contibute to her main set.

2. I would like my Zelda representation to be divided by eras of the game. To me, BOTW's achievements will probably mark the start of a new era for Zelda games, so it makes sense the main star of the franchise should shift to a BOTW incarnation that is up to date (That moveset of Link is 4 games old). The issue I would have is if previous achievements of the Zelda franchise are overlooked by this game. So I split up my Representation to evenly accommodate some of the Zelda Games. Zelda represents TP, Sheik represents OT, Toon Link and Tetra represent the WW series of games, and Link and the BOTW newcomer represents BOTW. The only outlier is Ganondorf, who while I don't have any idea what game he could represent, I belive he should incorporate all of his abilities from all the games. (Kinda how he turns out to be the main bad guy in every zelda game.) The only other question is why would BOTW and WW have more reps than the other games. To me, those Zelda reps aren't that strict and can easily be exchanged. You could have any combination of two new Zelda Reps, as long as we have at least 1 rep that gives representation to TP, OT, BOTW, and WW. (As for why I chose that combination of newcomers, I'm still not sold on having Link replace all of his specials with Champion abilities, so a BOTW champion could easily be slipped in because of recent popularity. Tetra can have a lot more moveset potential, and unlike Toon Link, who currently is a clone of Link, Tetra can have a diverse moveset that can't be a clone of Zelda.)

Fast Version- TP Zelda, BOTW Link, OT Sheik, WW Toon Link, Ganondorf, and two more Zelda reps. This to me is pretty much perfect Zelda representation in Smash 5. Zelda more than deserves 7 Reps. It should be on par with Mario and Pokemon in terms of representation, and I believe this is the way to go.
Moveset potential has to be the silliest reason I've seen for not getting a new design

Zelda already has a moveset in Smash, for all we know, this new design for Link and Zelda are barely going to change them. Same moveset, new design. A new design does not mean new moveset.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Rosalina's aerials should whiff on sourspot and be slightly above average on sweetspot.
This jives with her keep-away-and-fight-my-puppet strategy.

Zelda wants a different forward and back aerial.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Moveset potential has to be the silliest reason I've seen for not getting a new design

Zelda already has a moveset in Smash, for all we know, this new design for Link and Zelda are barely going to change them. Same moveset, new design. A new design does not mean new moveset.
This.

Not to mention the fact that Zelda is the one who finishes off Calamity Ganon herself. It's not as if her new design was ever powerless compared to previous incarnations.

Last edited:

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
It is true that both TP Zelda and BOTW Zelda technically have very little to work with, but TP Zelda has a slight edge over BOTW Zelda. Simply put, TP Zelda already has her Smash set to work with.

When I suggest that they rework characters, I do not wish for them to 100% erase everything they have done. The only exception when a rework would require a 100% erasure is when the character is so fundamentally different from what they should have been. (Looking at you Ganondorf) I don't want them to go crazy with Mario and completly eliminate everything he is in Smash so far. Instead, they should update some areas, and build upon what they did. Want Mario to have Cappy without making a entire set around it? Turn it into a multihit projectile that can combo into his grabs and allow Mario to dive recover onto. Want to get rid of Flood? Bring back Mario Tornado, but change it into his Spin Jump from Mario Galaxy.

I firmly belive that Link will get a rework for Smash 5, but they won't 100% change the character. He'll still have Bow and Arrow as his Neutral Special, and he'll still have access to bombs. They will just add onto that, and add some of his BOTW abilities, like the Shiekah Slate and maybe the Champions Abilities. But keep the esential weapons at hand, make sure he uses Bow and Arrow, bombs and his sword.

That being said, If you give a character a brand new design, and don't change anything in how the character plays, you esentially are just updating the model. Major disappointment not only from the people who would have welcomed a Zelda redesign, but on the creative side. I'm ok if they update Zelda to her BOTW design, what I'm not ok with is if they simply update the model and leave the moveset the same. Why update the model in the first place then? Considering this is looking like a Splatoon 2 style sequel, where elements remain the same, I would argue they will focus on expanding Link, and keep the other Zelda characters the same. Updating Zelda but not giving her new options to the set is no good in my book.

As for Paper Mario (which I saw up in the thread) I'm not opposed to seeing Paper Mario in Smash. He definitely is up there as a new Mario character. It would kinda be interesting to see which side of Paper Mario (old or new) they decide to focus on. That being said, I don't think it would happen at least in this game. I believe that instead of focusing on the Mario core franchise, they should focus on adding characters from spinoff franchises that already have representation (IE DK and Wario newcomers). Paper Mario can happen, but I believe that if they add Paper Mario, they should make him represent Paper Mario as a franchise, or wait until some of the spinoff franchises get their time to shine. He definetly does have Moveset Potential (The stack idea is pretty good) and can be considered an icon of Nintendo History, but if he's going to be a core Mario series member, then wait til the game after Smash 5. (Personally, I don't think they will add any core Mario characters. Only Spinoffs)

Danpal65

Smash Lord
It is true that both TP Zelda and BOTW Zelda technically have very little to work with, but TP Zelda has a slight edge over BOTW Zelda. Simply put, TP Zelda already has her Smash set to work with.

When I suggest that they rework characters, I do not wish for them to 100% erase everything they have done. The only exception when a rework would require a 100% erasure is when the character is so fundamentally different from what they should have been. (Looking at you Ganondorf) I don't want them to go crazy with Mario and completly eliminate everything he is in Smash so far. Instead, they should update some areas, and build upon what they did. Want Mario to have Cappy without making a entire set around it? Turn it into a multihit projectile that can combo into his grabs and allow Mario to dive recover onto. Want to get rid of Flood? Bring back Mario Tornado, but change it into his Spin Jump from Mario Galaxy.

I firmly belive that Link will get a rework for Smash 5, but they won't 100% change the character. He'll still have Bow and Arrow as his Neutral Special, and he'll still have access to bombs. They will just add onto that, and add some of his BOTW abilities, like the Shiekah Slate and maybe the Champions Abilities. But keep the esential weapons at hand, make sure he uses Bow and Arrow, bombs and his sword.

That being said, If you give a character a brand new design, and don't change anything in how the character plays, you esentially are just updating the model. Major disappointment not only from the people who would have welcomed a Zelda redesign, but on the creative side. I'm ok if they update Zelda to her BOTW design, what I'm not ok with is if they simply update the model and leave the moveset the same. Why update the model in the first place then? Considering this is looking like a Splatoon 2 style sequel, where elements remain the same, I would argue they will focus on expanding Link, and keep the other Zelda characters the same. Updating Zelda but not giving her new options to the set is no good in my book.

As for Paper Mario (which I saw up in the thread) I'm not opposed to seeing Paper Mario in Smash. He definitely is up there as a new Mario character. It would kinda be interesting to see which side of Paper Mario (old or new) they decide to focus on. That being said, I don't think it would happen at least in this game. I believe that instead of focusing on the Mario core franchise, they should focus on adding characters from spinoff franchises that already have representation (IE DK and Wario newcomers). Paper Mario can happen, but I believe that if they add Paper Mario, they should make him represent Paper Mario as a franchise, or wait until some of the spinoff franchises get their time to shine. He definetly does have Moveset Potential (The stack idea is pretty good) and can be considered an icon of Nintendo History, but if he's going to be a core Mario series member, then wait til the game after Smash 5. (Personally, I don't think they will add any core Mario characters. Only Spinoffs)
It is quite possible that Zelda may just have her model updated to her BotW one, I mean that is what they did with TP Zelda as well. She had the same moveset going from Melee to Brawl, but was updated from her OoT model to TP.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I was thinking about this for a little bit today, but I wanted to go for one of the most convincing arguments that this Smash is "a new game".

View attachment 139179

The logo that appeared during the Direct was, to some, an instant alarm that this was a brand new game. I'm skeptical myself, and I personally think it'll be closer to a new game than a port, but a port nonetheless.

Yes, this is not a logo used before in a Smash Bros. game, that much is clear. There are clear "Smash Bros." lines through the title. But there's something missing from the title...THE SUBTITLE.

Now, I don't know about any of you but I doubt this game is only going to be called "Super Smash Bros." I highly doubt that. It will be called Super Smash Bros. 6, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch, or Super Smash Bros. [insert name like Melee or Brawl here]. Those are the most probable options.

Basically, there's no way to tell if this is for a completely new game or not because the logo itself is not final. For all we know, there could be some fancy new title that will eventually slide in underneath that effectively makes it a port or something.

Take the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Logo for example.
View attachment 139180
It's quite similar to the original, save for the word "Deluxe" and the rainbow tints to it. There are differences added, but it's not extremely different.

I also understand that Wii U and 3DS had flames coming off the end, and had different colors. But this game was just revealed. At E3, I suspect we'll get more details on content as well as the title. For all we know, that logo further up isn't final and might look completely different. It's basically like a "working title" for for a logo.

Food for thought is all. What do you think?
I think they're going to brand this game as something apart from Smash 4... but I think it will be evident the game started from Smash 4. Perhaps it was at one time intended to be a deluxe port, but it evolved into something more meriting of a unique title. Nonetheless I expect its origins will remain clear.

So I don't think it will be a full jump to something completely new. I think the feel will carry over, I think the mechanics will be improved upon and be refined but still work off 4's base, I think the aesthetic will be upgraded but still recognizably similar, I think new mode(s) will be added and I pray for a UI revision. I think the cast will receive new art and a couple may even experience a changed moved or two, I think the newcomers will number fewer than is typical, but really... I think this game is going to be created from an established frame, yet has enough different content to justify the new branding. I think, unlike when Splatoon marketed itself as a new title, there is a history of what a "new Smash" entails, and I question whether this title will be able to fulfill those expectations, so I anticipate some very deliberate branding. Much as this trailer was deliberately vague.

I don't like calling it a port, because a port feels disingenuous and it undersells how much I believe will be different, yet I still believe it will retain a Smash 4 core. So something along a Smash 4.5, yet not marketed as such, is still my guess. A half-step between something familiar and something new.

But again, we're working with so little. My theory is mostly propagated by a willingness to believe breadcrumbs, and honestly it's within spitting distance of needing to go break out the string and thumbtacks to start weaving my conspiracy together. :p

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I had a dream last night that Wolf would be one of the first announced characters alongside King K.Rool. Wolf's new artwork had him in his howling taunt pose from SSBB but grinning at the camera. He also had an eyepatch.

Maybe I'm a Seer... time will tell.
Most of us here have Smash related dreams. Those are usually the best until you wake up and realize they weren't real.

Like legit if my Smash Dreams were canon Andy and Isaac would be in the game right now lol. I even saw their gameplay footage in my dream. :estatic:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Lower your 3rd partys. That is waayyy too many.
We're only gonna get one new Xenoblade rep.
Who is Daitoryo?
Only one new DK rep
Hey there, Rocket.

How is three new third parties unreasonable? In Smash 4, we got Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta.

Three new third parties doesn't seem impossible at all to me.

And I opted to include both Rex and Elma because both of them have reason to be included. XCX has been noted to be a potential port, and the game will likely receive a sequel in tume, since the game ends on a cliffhanger. And XC2 has sold over a million copies in less than a year, a first for the series, Rex and Pyra are extremely popular, and Sakurai is an avid follower of the series. The alternative in my eyes would be including Elma in the base roster and slating Rex for DLC alongside Spring Man.
Are there any proposed movesets for such a character?

Because I'm picturing an amalgamation of Napoleon and Marvel's Gambit.

Which sounds like a magical, card throwing pompous, halfling; and I kind of love it. Seems very interesting and very unlikely.
I'm the owner of the thread.

https://smashboards.com/threads/kinda-a-big-deal-–-daitōryō-support-thread.452711/

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Most of us here have Smash related dreams. Those are usually the best until you wake up and realize they weren't real.

Like legit if my Smash Dreams were canon Andy and Isaac would be in the game right now lol. I even saw their gameplay footage in my dream. :estatic:
I had a dream the other day where Chibi Robo was revealed but the trailer included Goku so I'm not so sure I wanted that dream to come true :p

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I also had another Smash Bros dream again a few days ago. The newcomers were one of the Double Dragon Protagonists and Cooking Mama.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't even get this reasoning. Zelda, as herself and not any alter ego, never fought. How is BotW Zelda any different?
For the record, shooting Light Arrows from a horse riding togheter with Link doesn't QUITE equate with 'combat'. :4zelda:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Just to bring up the ballot again because i don't feel i asked this here, who do you you think had a high enough placing in the Smash Ballot to be chosen for Smash 5, outside of Inklings obviously.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
I think if Link gets his BOTW design, Zelda's definitely getting hers but I have doubts they'll even touch her moveset, which is a shame. Maybe they'll have the Power of Sealing in there somewhere. That'd be cool.

What I'm curious about is whether Ganondorf will get a new look. I think it's time we move past the Twilight Princess look. I like the idea of the Zelda characters changing their appearances every two games.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Just to bring up the ballot again because i don't feel i asked this here, who do you you think had a high enough placing in the Smash Ballot to be chosen for Smash 5, outside of Inklings obviously.
I reckon this would be where K.Rool would have had his time to shine. He appeared as a Mii costume and I reckon his placement on the ballot was why. Likewise, I would not be surprised if Shantae and Shovel Knight were able to garner some votes, and as such get the chance to be an Indie rep.

On the conversation of whether or not Smash 5/6 will have any Indie reps, I think you only have to look as far as the fact Nindies is a thing that exists to see why this would be important. Nintendo has really embraced the Indie scene, and Indies have found success on the platform unlike what they have seen elsewhere, so why not give them a chance to shine?

Aside from all that, I think the ballot may have provoked further exploration by Sakurai into Ridley (although this could just be wishful thinking :estatic:).

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
It's hard to say, really. Perhaps Geno and K.Rool since their popularity was acknowledged with Mii Costumes (at least, in Geno's case), but it's hard to tell if what we want lines up with what the casual Smash fan wants.
Unpopular opinion, but I think a Sonic character could have scored high on the Ballot. Sonic has a big fanbase and people have been asking for a variety of characters such as Knuckles. It's not a certainty, but never say never.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I know people would like to see a redesign to Zelda's moveset, but I think it would really be a shame to get rid of the powers of the goddesses. In BotW, Zelda even goes to their shrines to pray. The goddesses haven't disappeared from Legend of Zelda in favor of the guardians, and I think losing the goddess powers in favor of Guardian abilities that she never even associated herself with would be silly, especially considering the princess of Hyrule is heavily associated with the goddesses. I know they're her chosen guardians, but their powers are their own. That's my personal take on it.

Now I'd like Zelda to be a better character though, so maybe they rework those goddess powers a bit...

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I think if Link gets his BOTW design, Zelda's definitely getting hers but I have doubts they'll even touch her moveset, which is a shame. Maybe they'll have the Power of Sealing in there somewhere. That'd be cool.

What I'm curious about is whether Ganondorf will get a new look. I think it's time we move past the Twilight Princess look. I like the idea of the Zelda characters changing their appearances every two games.
I liked the idea of Zelda characters changing their appearances either never, or every game. But whatever, this two game nonsense is only happening because Breath of the Wild was HUGE. If it was Skyward Sword-esque, I am fairly certain we would be stuck with their terrible Twilight Princess costumes a third time. Hopefully they just redesign Ganon regardless, but I HIGHLY doubt it.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I have my wonders about Paper Mario. There's a lot to take into consideration.
  1. He's had a lot of games this last era. Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Paper Mario: Color Splash, and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. It's a modern Nintendo IP that's been going on for a while now so he's one of the most relevant candidates.
  2. There was the Smash Ballot back in 2016 and this game might take a bigger focus on requested characters.
On the other hand, there were two Mario newcomers last game. Mario is well represented, and while that doesn't invalidate more Mario newcomers this game, it makes it less of a necessity. Captain Toad and Paper Mario however, are well earned candidates.

I wouldn't mind if there was a bigger focus on his portrayal in Color Splash and Paper Jam though. Surely there will be references to the first two games, but Paper Mario should take advantage of the very thing that makes him unique from other fighters which is that he is made of paper. One of the most interesting abilities is the ability to stack, allowing you to take more hits or even multiply.
View attachment 139178

Being a stackcould actually be a constant trait. The shorter the stacks get, the lighter and easier to launch he is. Having only one paper mario left in the stack, he could be easier to launch than Jigglypuff.
Good points, I really like the stack trait idea.

I love the first two Paper Mario games, they're probably my favorite Mario games along with Mario RPG and the first two Mario & Luigi games(Yeah I'm generally a sucker for Mario RPG games). Anyway, I don't understand why people think Paper Mario should solely be based off the original two games. While they're my favorite and are more than enough to create a unique moveset from, Paper Mario should bring everything he has to offer. Including Sticker Star and Color Splash. While I'm sure this would be a very difficult task to do, bringing elements from each game would hopefully please all fans, not just the original fanboys like me.

While it may not sound like much, but being literally paper brings more to the table than one may think... Especially visually.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I had a dream the other day where Chibi Robo was revealed but the trailer included Goku so I'm not so sure I wanted that dream to come true :p
Yeah let that dream stay non-canon lol.
Do we take in relevance as well?

Because if we combined both I would say Bandana Dee has the highest chance. Otherwise if it's strictly popularity than K. Rool has the upper hand.

If we take in casual voted then we're most likely going to see more third parties.

Morbi

Scavenger
I know people would like to see a redesign to Zelda's moveset, but I think it would really be a shame to get rid of the powers of the goddesses. In BotW, Zelda even goes to their shrines to pray. The goddesses haven't disappeared from Legend of Zelda in favor of the guardians, and I think losing the goddess powers in favor of Guardian abilities that she never even associated herself with would be silly, especially considering the princess of Hyrule is heavily associated with the goddesses. I know they're her chosen guardians, but their powers are their own. That's my personal take on it.

Now I'd like Zelda to be a better character though, so maybe they rework those goddess powers a bit...
I do not really believe Zelda's specials are why she is low tier. Do not get me wrong, they are not helping, per se; however, buffing her normals would be more than enough to compensate for the specials which are alright.

It's hard to say, really. Perhaps Geno and K.Rool since their popularity was acknowledged with Mii Costumes (at least, in Geno's case), but it's hard to tell if what we want lines up with what the casual Smash fan wants.
Unpopular opinion, but I think a Sonic character could have scored high on the Ballot. Sonic has a big fanbase and people have been asking for a variety of characters such as Knuckles. It's not a certainty, but never say never.
I would not even be surprised if Sonic got a second character. The only real issue, pertaining to the ballot, is the votes would be going all directions. This camp voting for Shadow, that camp voting for Knuckles, old school fans voting for Tails, new school fans voting for whatever popular Sonic character exists nowadays, trolls voting for Big the Cat (which is un-ironically my pick, Shadow is my favorite, but after seeing what they did to Sonic... Yeah, no). I am still stuck in the past where people loved Silver, but we probably moved forward from that.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Good points, I really like the stack trait idea.

I love the first two Paper Mario games, they're probably my favorite Mario games along with Mario RPG and the first two Mario & Luigi games(Yeah I'm generally a sucker for Mario RPG games). Anyway, I don't understand why people think Paper Mario should solely be based off the original two games. While they're my favorite and are more than enough to create a unique moveset from, Paper Mario should bring everything he has to offer. Including Sticker Star and Color Splash. While I'm sure this would be a very difficult task to do, bringing elements from each game would hopefully please all fans, not just the original fanboys like me.

While it may not sound like much, but being literally paper brings more to the table than one may think... Especially visually.
For some reason, I feel like if Paper Mario was brought into the game (which would be awesome), I have a feeling that they actually would use way more elements from Sticker Star and Color Splash than the first two, just because they're the most recent. Sad, but unfortunately likely.

I wouldn't really listen to what anyone has to say on this matter but Nintendo TBH.

Everyone and their mother (except maybe tumblr and NeoGAF I guess but I wasnt deep enough in either community to really say) said Bayonetta was a no one, and then she won the ballot. I think Geno is the only one we know anything else on votes wise, so I would say, no one has any clue :p

:061:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Let's be real. If Zelda still does not get a newcomer in Smash 5 even after the blockbuster success story that was Breath of the Wild, then I doubt that series is ever going to get another newcomer with Sakurai in charge.
I can understand Smash 4 not getting a new Zelda character since Skyward Sword wasn't exactly the most successful Zelda, but Smash 5? Breath of the Wild is the most popular Zelda since Ocarina and even games like Hyrule Warriors have made a splash and given us a glimpse of what fully unique movesets can be brought out of the Zelda cast.
I'm obviously not expecting 3-4 Zelda newcomers for this game even though BOTW has been a success, but I think it is high time for the series to get another character. Even if that character is a one-off, that would be fine. I just fear that Sakurai is going to justify Link's redesign and maybe Zelda as enough new contents for Zelda newcomers.

mikey661

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mikey661
3DS FC
5429-8052-2152
Am i the only one here that has had 2 legitimate nightmares in a row about smash 5 being a smash 4 port? LMAO i'm not even joking

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I wouldn't really listen to what anyone has to say on this matter but Nintendo TBH.

Everyone and their mother (except maybe tumblr and NeoGAF I guess but I wasnt deep enough in either community to really say) said Bayonetta was a no one, and then she won the ballot. I think Geno is the only one we know anything else on votes wise, so I would say, no one has any clue :p

:061:
Too be fair, Bayo wasn't 1st, but she was apparently high enough to get a spot (Probably Top 15 or 10 at least)

Last edited:

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Let's be real. If Zelda still does not get a newcomer in Smash 5 even after the blockbuster success story that was Breath of the Wild, then I doubt that series is ever going to get another newcomer with Sakurai in charge.
I can understand Smash 4 not getting a new Zelda character since Skyward Sword wasn't exactly the most successful Zelda, but Smash 5? Breath of the Wild is the most popular Zelda since Ocarina and even games like Hyrule Warriors have made a splash and given us a glimpse of what fully unique movesets can be brought out of the Zelda cast.
I'm obviously not expecting 3-4 Zelda newcomers for this game even though BOTW has been a success, but I think it is high time for the series to get another character. Even if that character is a one-off, that would be fine. I just fear that Sakurai is going to justify Link's redesign and maybe Zelda as enough new contents for Zelda newcomers.
I agree, but if they add a BOTW newcomer, that opens the door for all of the one-off characters in Zelda history, especially Midna and Skull Kid, who are at least, if not more, popular than the Champions.

Personally, I feel Zelda has way too few characters in Smash (and they're not very well done either, except for Link and Sheik) and I'd be fine with 3-4 newcomers but obviously that's not happening. (I'd love to be wrong)

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
I am still stuck in the past where people loved Silver, but we probably moved forward from that.
we aint moved forward from it, we exist in a dimension alternate to that

silver lol

lolllllllll sonic 2k6

maybe we can have sonic's busted bound-jump attack lolll insta 100% from that spamfest

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I agree, but if they add a BOTW newcomer, that opens the door for all of the one-off characters in Zelda history, especially Midna and Skull Kid, who are at least, if not more, popular than the Champions.

Personally, I feel Zelda has way too few characters in Smash (and they're not very well done either, except for Link and Sheik) and I'd be fine with 3-4 newcomers but obviously that's not happening. (I'd love to be wrong)
Thing is, I don't even feel like it HAS to be a character from BOTW. It's type of question the Smash Ballot answers and a small part of me feels as though it's going to happen this time. After all, Cloud was chosen because he was the most popular FF character. I can see a similar scenario playing out for Zelda.

Morbi

Scavenger
I still feel as though the most likely Zelda "newcomer" is Ganon. Surprised it has not already happened with two playable Zelda (whether or not you count the transformation, Toon Zelda was planned for Brawl) and two Links. Like, where is the pig?!

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
Thing is, I don't even feel like it HAS to be a character from BOTW. It's type of question the Smash Ballot answers and a small part of me feels as though it's going to happen this time. After all, Cloud was chosen because he was the most popular FF character. I can see a similar scenario playing out for Zelda.
I really hope you're right.

I still feel as though the most likely Zelda "newcomer" is Ganon. Surprised it has not already happened with two playable Zelda (whether or not you count the transformation, Toon Zelda was planned for Brawl) and two Links. Like, where is the pig?!
Ganon's cool but I don't know how I'd feel with two Links, Zelda/Sheik, and two incarnations of Ganon representing the Zelda cast. Maybe if they added Ganon and then another unique character like Impa...

Morbi

Scavenger
I really hope you're right.

Ganon's cool but I don't know how I'd feel with two Links, Zelda/Sheik, and two incarnations of Ganon representing the Zelda cast. Maybe if they added Ganon and then another unique character like Impa...
They could add Kaepora as a Decidueye clone for all I care (would still be better than F-Zero Dorf), I just want the second largest Nintendo franchise to get another character sometime this century.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I don't believe the results of the ballot. Didn't they call her first of the realisable characters? That means nothing because realisable is just an arbitrary word.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
They could add Kaepora as a Decidueye clone for all I care (would still be better than F-Zero Dorf), I just want the second largest Nintendo franchise to get another character sometime this century.
Agreed! But isn't anything better than Falcondorf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom