• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Okay folks.

Could you see Sakurai revive/include a series that hasn't had a game in a while but also isn't retro?
No. Not even Golden Sun would have performed well enough to get a character on the ballot in spite of no games in years. It's going to be NES/Game Boy appearances only or characters with recent appearances like the past four games and I don't see that changing until Sakurai leaves.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Okay folks.

Could you see Sakurai revive/include a series that hasn't had a game in a while but also isn't retro?
He was on a "recency" kick for the last game, but the guy changes his mind like night and day.

I believe he mentioned recently how Smash puts different games into the spotlight, so I could see the potential gleam in his eye at the idea of wanting to revive a franchise or two.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I guess Golden Sun would count, but the series did have a game on the later end of the DS life cycle. Isaac is still one of the top characters I'd even want in Smash. Gotta throw rocks and giant hands.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Which franchise has had the best remade/remixed music in Smash? Stuff that’s just needledropped in from other games doesn’t count, I’m talking tracks re-written specifically for Smash.

My vote goes to Kirby. From the beautiful Fountain of Dreams to the rocking Gourmet Race, Kirby always seems to get great remixes :)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I guess Golden Sun would count, but the series did have a game on the later end of the DS life cycle. Isaac is still one of the top characters I'd even want in Smash. Gotta throw rocks and giant hands.
Yeah but it's been eight years and two gens since that game. I think that would still constitute "a while".

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
For ARMS, if it were to get a representative fighter, I think Springman. Yeah, hes that beginning character, but he doesnt need the kicks or the mechanical suit to make him special.

Thats what the ARMS are for. With all those ARMS, he could easily get a unique moveset, heck he could even have have Ribbon Girl as an alternate costume, since the biggest focus is on the ARMS and not necessarily on the fighters themselves. Id work on a move set, but Id have to go back to the game and see what each ARM does. But yeah Springman for Smash Switch please.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Real talk, don't you just LOVE when people are against Sans in Smash because the Undertale fandom is "cancer" and would "infect" their precious fandom?

Sure, like the Smash fandom is any better. :rolleyes:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I see people lob the argument against Spring-Man that because he's the standard default guy in ARMS he'd be a bland inclusion, as if having boxing gloves attached to ****ing springs for arms is a common element on Smash's roster.

Like, what?

Last edited:

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
The more I look into it the more I am convinced paper Mario will be the next character announced.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The more I look into it the more I am convinced paper Mario will be the next character announced.
Bold claim there, mate. Care to explain your reasoning?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I see people lob the argument against Spring-Man that because he's the standard default guy in ARMS he'd be a bland inclusion, as if having boxing gloves attached to ****ing springs for arms is a common element on Smash's roster.

Like, what?
Sonic uses a spring and Mac boxes sorry no ARMS 4 u.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Yo, Starfy actually can explode in Smash?
I remember unleashing Giga Bowser numerous times on him but he only did that spinning animation with huge hitstun.

----

On the ARMS stuff, if any character was included for sure it would have insane reach, but what it would be their drawback to compensate that?, you know, like Little Mac having a beast ground game and a mediocre aerial one.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's also the very possible chance Mario gets no newcomer. The series increased by three since the game before it...

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I mean, unless you think Captain Toad is the likeliest Mario choice.

Though both is good.
So I have a feeling E3 is going to give us a bang of reveals since the game has a 2018 release window. I'm expecting the next reveals to be then, and they will be:

Springman
Ridley
Crash or Rayman

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
My thought was Pyra is just on the back stage while Rex is the one fighting and she doesn't do much.

Oi
Keep that video as spoiler my friend....

Yep, that's the problem there, east and west just have different perspective on this, so it is not healthy to argue this.

Geez if it is a huge spoiler don't even mention it in the first place...
Yes, I am paranoid when it comes to spoilers ...

You don't say? So.. . age is relevant when it comes to video games and animes apparently lol.

So, this... Is spoiler territory not gonna discuss about her age whatsoever....

Not gonna debate on this anymore but, don't be so sure about it lol. If you just really hope she gets censored then that's not even worth talking in the first place.

Hell, we don't even know if she is going to be in.

Perhaps that user was right, I really just should "Let go." it is really no use to discuss this because it is annoying and people can really get stubborn on this no matter which side you are on.

It's actually.... Pandoria, based on a Heart to

Spoilers ~~~~ handle spoilers carefully please . ..

I am a Xenoblade fan too, obviously lol.
You can discuss this with me, that I personally like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 way more than Xenoblade Chronicles. So yeah we have a bit contrary opinion on this.
But hey it's worth discussing, but... No here at least.
If you have time we can discuss this on Xenoblade social thread.

I prefer the lady you see in the trailer who has a hot looking blade with two flame whips.

So,enough age and censor debate crap, please, please, try to keep it spoiler free when discussing Xenoblade 2 characters and plots. I recommend don't even mention it at all.

Edit: this was before I saw the warning post, please understand.
Why'd you get a warning over Xenoblade 2, aren't we allowed to be off-topic on the social thread?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I mean, unless you think Captain Toad is the likeliest Mario choice.

Though both is good.
Mario always gets more than one newcomer with every Smash.

64 got Mario and Luigi themselves, Melee got Peach, Bowser, and Dr. Mario, Smash 4 got Rosaluma and Bowser Jr.

Brawl is the only exception.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Real talk, don't you just LOVE when people are against Sans in Smash because the Undertale fandom is "cancer" and would "infect" their precious fandom?

Sure, like the Smash fandom is any better. :rolleyes:
Welcome to the Internet, where people will always have a hate boner for anything Undertale related because of the bad side of the fandom. Even when it's something as harmless as wanting Sans in Smash.

Also, the Smash fandom is the Top 3 worst Nintendo fandoms next to Pokemon and Fire Emblem. The irony.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Welcome to the Internet, where people will always have a hate boner for anything Undertale related because of the bad side of the fandom. Even when it's something as harmless as wanting Sans in Smash.

Also, the Smash fandom is the Top 3 worst Nintendo fandoms next to Pokemon and Fire Emblem. The irony.
I have no idea why the Undertale and Minecraft fandoms make me so angry yet the Sonic fanbase I have no problem with. I feel that it's due to the fact I grew up with Sonic and the other two games are relatively new for me, as for most other people here.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Real question: What is Undertale and why do people want it in Smash?
Is this sarcasm or you legitimately never heard of Undertale?

Always, Undertale being on the Switch is the big reason why people want Sans. Even though as far as indies, Shovel Knight and Shantae are far more popular.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

Always, Undertale being on the Switch is the big reason why people want Sans. Even though as far as indies, Shovel Knight and Shantae are far more popular.
Legitimate question. I keep hearing it mentioned, but I don’t actually know what kind of game it is/when it came out/etc.

Also what’s so bad about it’s fans??

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Hinata Hinata

I don’t know it’s sort of a gut feeling. Everyone seems to be looking at what’s on the switch when I think they should focus what’s on the Wii U. The selection isn’t huge. He looks like the only reasonable Mario addition to me. But it shows Nintendo has other types of games

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I have no idea why the Undertale and Minecraft fandoms make me so angry yet the Sonic fanbase I have no problem with. I feel that it's due to the fact I grew up with Sonic and the other two games are relatively new for me, as for most other people here.
You are probably one of the lucky ones that avoid the bad parts of the fandom for Sonic.

As far as Undertale, people target it the most because they happen to be the loudest and known for more "cringe" than say the Smash fandom.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Mario always gets more than one newcomer with every Smash.

64 got Mario and Luigi themselves, Melee got Peach, Bowser, and Dr. Mario, Smash 4 got Rosaluma and Bowser Jr.

Brawl is the only exception.
Maybe don't use always if there's an exception :p

I do think we'll get a new Mario character though and I think it'll be Captain Toad and Toadette.

I really want Paper Mario but not expecting to see him in a Smash game ever outside of a trophy.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

Putting Sans in Smash just because the Switch eventually is getting an already 3 year old port would be a huge middle finger to Nintendo fans and even the other indie bases that have at least had their titles on Switch for years and years. I enjoyed Undertale, and if anything I'd like its music in Smash, but it doesn't deserve to get in Smash, even the slightest. I can make the same argument for Doom/Skyrim/Darksouls. All are good games but they are literally watered down ports that Switch is getting a generation late. Please keep them away from Smash as they don't represent Nintendo or its legacy.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Legitimate question. I keep hearing it mentioned, but I don’t actually know what kind of game it is/when it came out/etc.

Also what’s so bad about it’s fans??
You must be a rare breed. With how loud people are of Undertale, everyone knows what it is, even detractors.

Always, Undertale is an indie game by Toby Fox that is known for its focus on morality, you can choose to spare monitors or kill them. They way you act throughout the story or your kill count dictates the ending or route you go. It's got a lot of quirky humor too, mostly due to being inspired by Earthbound.

People tend to dislike the fans for either being "cringe", annoying people about the game's existence, making an unwanted Undertale reference anywhere, not taking criticism towards the game well, roleplaying, and more. You know, the same reason why the Sonic and Minecraft fandoms get flak.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A lot of fanbases can be annoying or exasperating, but I don't think the Smash fanbase is one to throw stones tbh.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
A lot of fanbases can be annoying or exasperating, but I don't think the Smash fanbase is one to throw stones tbh.
The Smash fanbase for me is divided into two parts, the competitive scene that emerges when the game releases, and the speculation scene that happens up to the games launch. I'm not that into competitive smash, but from what I've seen from the speculation scene, I can't really find anything that bad (save for the Ridley and K. Rool begging, but even that's semi-warranted given how important and significant those characters are).

GameFaqs on the other hand, has an awful circlejerk of a fanbase, but GameFaqs is garbage for every game board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom