• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
No, just no. I refuse to acknowledge that DJ Master Seal was a thing....

That was arguably Nintendo of America at their worst for advertising.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The Smash fanbase for me is divided into two parts, the competitive scene that emerges when the game releases, and the speculation scene that happens up to the games launch. I'm not that into competitive smash, but from what I've seen from the speculation scene, I can't really find anything that bad (save for the Ridley and K. Rool begging, but even that's semi-warranted given how important and significant those characters are).

GameFaqs on the other hand, has an awful circlejerk of a fanbase, but GameFaqs is garbage for every game board.
I'm sure every fanbase and every site would have similar yet slightly altered sentiments...

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
On the ARMS stuff, if any character was included for sure it would have insane reach, but what it would be their drawback to compensate that?, you know, like Little Mac having a beast ground game and a mediocre aerial one.
Punches would probably be slow and have lots of end lag to compensate for the reach. A technical cqc fighter with long range, besting projectile and sword characters, but have trouble dealing with characters that can easily rush in.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I see people lob the argument against Spring-Man that because he's the standard default guy in ARMS he'd be a bland inclusion, as if having boxing gloves attached to ****ing springs for arms is a common element on Smash's roster.

Like, what?
He's bland compared to the rest of the characters in ARMS. We all know anyone from ARMS would add something completely unique, but the game's been out long enough for us all to pick our favourites.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I hear so much talk about Sans getting in as the "Indie rep", but honestly it'd be shovel knight if anyone. He was ALL over the Smash ballot, like one of the most talked about/voted for characters at that time. Even if an Indie rep happened and it wasn't him, it'd be Shantae or Quote or someone who actually had fans pushing for them during the ballot.

I just cant imagine Undertale getting a rep out of no where, it seems like its only because undertale was in the last direct but thats an awful way to assume characters, its similar to why although i'd really like crash and think hes possible im not putting much weight into the fact he was simply part of the same direct as the smash reveal. he could get in but im not thinking of him as anymore likely than any other 3rd party character who has a game on switch.

Not trying to knock anyone for wanting Sans or anything, undertales cool, but I just do not see why I'm hearing people think he'll get revealed at this indie direct while I hear very few talk about Shovel Knight. I'm not expecting anyone but again if there was a smash reveal during an indie direct my bets are on Shovel Knight by a large margin.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
*Remembers when Miiverse posted something new every night*

Good days those were. Staying up until 2 AM for Luigi's nose :4luigi:
It got to the point where people on Reddit were regularly posting "Waiting for the Pic of the Day" discussion threads.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Pic of The Day makes me miss the days of old where I'd listen to Gamexplain and Japan Time ramble and talk about what were featured in the images for the week.

We should totally jump on that bandwagon if Pic of The Day starts again.
PotD and the Dojo were my favourite parts of Brawl and 4 combined to the point where I almost prefer the lead up to the actual game.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Why'd you get a warning over Xenoblade 2, aren't we allowed to be off-topic on the social thread?
That's the point lol, this isn't social thread.
And you misunderstood, despite I did sort of link XC2 with Smash Bros, the majority of post was just about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because of many spoilers....

Oh yeah still need to talk about Smash ...
How about Navi and her "Hey listen!" As a newcomer?
No... .... Please no...

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So a lot of people talk about indie characters. Personally I don't think Smash is the place for them, it should just be Nintendo and incredibly iconic and popular third parties, and third parties.

I wouldn't mind them get a trophy or something though. Maybe a stage that shifts between a bunch of them and featuring fan favourite songs. But playable character feels like too much. I already think Smash is starting to go a little overboard with third parties

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So a lot of people talk about indie characters. Personally I don't think Smash is the place for them, it should just be Nintendo and incredibly iconic and popular third parties, and third parties.

I wouldn't mind them get a trophy or something though. Maybe a stage that shifts between a bunch of them and featuring fan favourite songs. But playable character feels like too much. I already think Smash is starting to go a little overboard with third parties
I mostly agree. The only one I’d be OK with is Shovel Knight, mainly because of how big he got (getting four amiibo) and presumably being at least relatively high in the ballot.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Another thing people need to remember is that it's much harder to find an indie character with worldwide popularity than it is with third-parties. Popular indie characters we have in NA and EU might not even have a fanbase in Japan.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Unless Sakurai hears the demand, then maybe we will.
With how a few character and big third party characters they can put... I think having indies would be a better idea, not to mention indie games play a huge part of Nintendo Switch sales.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Man, there is so much hate going on for the idea of Rex and Pyra being in Smash.
Not really "hate" persay (I really "hate" that word lol) My guess is people just either dislike anime characters or don't like Rex and Pyra's design.

And the heated debate was merely ... Most think that Pyra's will get her design censored whole I was the only one who apparently disagree. And it went off topic. .

The reasons can be vary, while I disagree with most of their reasons, I respect them nevertheless, and let them be.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I mostly agree - then again, Nintendo really embraces their indie-scene (hence the term "nindie")... but I guess even so, there's SO many indie games these days and it's super hard to stand out, and very few seem to have merits to reach playable status in a game like Smash. Representing the indie-scene with trophies is alright imo, they started to do that with CommanderVideo trophy already.

I guess an exception would be if Nintendo really took some game(series) under their wing and wanted to go all out with it, kind of like with Bayonetta (not an indie game, of course, but still). Shovel Knight might be closest to this with the amiibo and Nintendo itself being the publisher of the game in Japan (it also has a fanbase), but we'll see.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I mostly agree - then again, Nintendo really embraces their indie-scene (hence the term "nindie")... but I guess even so, there's SO many indie games these days and it's super hard to stand out, and very few seem to have merits to reach playable status in a game like Smash. Representing the indie-scene with trophies is alright imo, they started to do that with CommanderVideo trophy already.

I guess an exception would be if Nintendo really took some game(series) under their wing and wanted to go all out with it, kind of like with Bayonetta (not an indie game, of course, but still). Shovel Knight might be closest to this with the amiibo and Nintendo itself being the publisher of the game in Japan, but we'll see.
I have plenty of characters I want in Smash that are indie game characters ...

Like Shovel and Shantae
And does Travis Touchdown count as indie character?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Not really "hate" persay (I really "hate" that word lol) My guess is people just either dislike anime characters or don't like Rex and Pyra's design.
I'm kinda referring to the hate these two gets in general within Smash speculation, not specifically in this thread, having looked at their want scores and reasons for them in the RTC, with many heavily criticizing Rex and Pyra's designs.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Pheromosa: Tied with Sonic speed-wise, hits as hard as Ganondorf, lighter than Jigglypuff
Buzzwole: Kinda slow and floaty, doesn't flinch at low %, heavy as DK
I think only Sonic and Wario-Man are permitted to be the fastest runners. Pheromosa could always have the second fastest dash, but if Ash-Greninja appears as Greninja's new Final Smash, it could end up being competition for that spot.

In regards to Buzzwole, I could see it being a tough guy fighter like Bowser, never flinching from hitboxes that don't deal strong enough knockback. I don't know the full details on how knockback-based heavy armor operates though, so I'll just say that Buzzwole's knockback threshold would be tied alongside Bowser's; 19, if I recall correctly. I would bring up damage-based heavy armor, but if Buzzwole had that, then it wouldn't flinch at all from low-damaging infinite hits, and Cloud's Finishing Touch (if he somehow manages to return) would end up being powerless as well.

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda in the middle with this. I don't think it's a port, but I don't think it's a fully new game either. I think it'll build off Smash 4 and add in enough content for it be considered a new game. Can't wait to see more of it hopefully at e3.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
mm-mm-mm, five pages o' pyra design chat

neato-keeno

maybe we should move on to, y'know, cool folk for smash, like ****ING CAPTAIN N.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Who would y'all say are the five most requested characters this time?
It’s kind of hard to measure this time, for a multitude of reasons. There used to be huge, obvious icons of Nintendo that folks felt “needed” to be there, like Little Mac, Mega Man, Ridley and K. Rool, Mewtwo, etc, But now a lot of those characters have got in, and some feel less likely than ever (*coughRidleycough*) there’s more room for smaller but popular characters to rock the boat. This makes it hard to say what the majority want to see, because there are too many choices at this point.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm kinda referring to the hate these two gets in general within Smash speculation, not specifically in this thread, having looked at their want scores and reasons for them in the RTC, with many heavily criticizing Rex and Pyra's designs.
Meh, I think "hate" is a bit too extreme... using "dislike" would be better imo.
And yes, even I think it is ok to criticize of dislike Rex and Pyra's design or anything in particular (Like to voice acting for Rex was also heavily and fairly criticized). That being said, and I have said this a dozen times, you can't use your objective opinion on a franchise and project the outcomes of those characters. I tried to be fair... but you see a few users here were being more and more disrespectful (Both to me and the Xenoblade 2 characters) and objectively misleading... which no wonder why the discussion ended being more and more off topic.

But hey, I highly recommend you to move that question to this thread:
https://smashboards.com/threads/new-garfont-9-a-xenoblade-series-discussion-thread.446454/
I'm kinda in the middle with this. I don't think it's a port, but I don't think it's a fully new game either. I think it'll build off Smash 4 and add in enough content for it be considered a new game. Can't wait to see more of it hopefully at e3.
It's highly possible that it will go like how Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 went with.

I really don’t expect a lot of news until E3, that and directs giving info here and there.
I expect Smash Switch and huge third party games being announced.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Can we drop the Xenoblade 2 character design discussion? Every single time that gets brought up, it opens up a can of worms given how polarizing it is.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should probably make a statement, in regards to each fighter's neutral attack. I think that most fighters' neutral attacks should never take longer than 5 frames for the first hit's hitboxes to become active. Dedede has one of the longest start-ups of any neutral attack, and most fighters can successfully grab him before the neutral attack's hitboxes even activate; that's one of the many things that really hurts Dedede overall.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
What addition or change, if anything, would ruin Smash Switch for you? Or at least get you to play an older one instead. Is it something realistic? A mechanic change?

(Removing things doesn't count, only changing or adding.)

I can't really think of much that would kill a Smash game for me at this point, but if they re-added tripping I'd personally be pretty upset..

Or if they did the Mario Kart 8 DX thing and the only way to play 3+ player LAN is to use the single Joycons. Of course, that wouldn't kill the game for me, it'd just be really frustrating.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
What addition or change, if anything, would ruin Smash Switch for you? Or at least get you to play an older one instead. Is it something realistic? A mechanic change?

(Removing things doesn't count, only changing or adding.)

I can't really think of much that would kill a Smash game for me at this point, but if they re-added tripping I'd personally be pretty upset..

Or if they did the Mario Kart 8 DX thing and the only way to play 3+ player LAN is to use the single Joycons, of course, that wouldn't kill the game for me, it'd just be really frustrating.
Random tripping returning would certainly be unwelcome to me.

Adding in air tripping (as in, you jump with a chance to fumble) would be a way to keep me on 4.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Adding anime characters would be THE biggest deal breaker for me.

Also, the lack of a real Adventure mode would make me pretty upset (as I stated somewhere before, my biggest gripe with Sm4sh was the lack of one.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom