• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
I'm so sorry, but all I can read is "this has stuff I want/more stuff so it's cooler". That's what makes me the maddest about this whole ordeal, people don't care at all if something is real or not, they just want to ride the biggest and hypest leak they can get a hold off.

There's no actual discussion to be had.
I disagree. Box leak was a box. There were no developments, no questions about it. A box is a box. The entire debate was what the box meant.

This is the opposite. It's clear what the leak means, but there are developments and questions out the wazzoo.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
Okay so I've been watching this thread off and on for several days now and nothing new has been brought forward to confirm or debunk this leak, and now everyone's going on and on about some kind of TeamReal vs. TeamFake vs. insiders vs. popular Smash YouTubers tribe war. The evidence doesn't point to either direction very heavily, and there's no way to prove anything at this point, so why continue arguing? Can we not call this a draw for now and wait for the tiebreaker AKA the inevitable Smash Direct? Good lord.

Shroob

Sup?
Just a few days ago, we were talking about how the Grinch leak is the best thing happened to this speculation period and now this.

Anyway, at this point I think it's better to dial down a bit.
The big issue is: We need the Direct.

A new toy only has its luster for awhile until you get bored of it, and in the case of the Grinch leak, we don't even know if the toy's ours.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
This PapaGenos situation is kinda reminiscent of what happened to loz18 imo. He was just one of us and only wanted to speculate. Then he came out one time with real information that he had obtained and just like that people were clamoring for him to say more. Eventually, he started getting stuff wrong and he lost credibility with everyone and is now hated by pretty much everyone.

Speaking of loz, has anything notable happened with him in a while? I haven't been really following smash speculation to closely since around gamescon in August but I recall loz fizzled out fantastically.
You starting getting into trouble when you claim your info is objectively true. As long a Papa indicates that the leak being true is just his opinion, then he'll be fine.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Remember to stay hydrated, sleep well and be thankful for our lord and savior Sakurai the creator.

gloop898

Smash Cadet
No offense, but you just sound like you’re making up excuses for the guy’s words.
Idk, maybe. It's possible he was trying to be mean, but I don't think we should be saying "this guy is a huge jerk" when his actual words weren't even really bad or disrespectful.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The fact that "Grinch politics" is even a thing.... legit never thought I'd even consider such a thing, let alone related to SMASH.

This is the most bizarre cycle, ever. Bar none.
You know I'm kind of wondering if this whole fiasco has made people more aware of the New Grinch movie, like indirect publicity. Hell I sure wasn't aware of it until this all happened lol

I'm so sorry, but all I can read is "this has stuff I want/more stuff so it's cooler". That's what makes me the maddest about this whole ordeal, people don't care at all if something is real or not, they just want to ride the biggest and hypest leak they can get a hold off.

That's kind of how this thing mostly works. The problem with leaks is generally that they can be proven false but they generally cannot be proven to be true except in very rare cases where the evidence is extremely overwhelming which there has been no such leak at this point for Ultimate. At this point if something cannot be completely disproven it's going to be accepted by some people strictly from bias alone.

Last edited:
To kind of steer away for a bit, if the online tournament up to 32 people is indeed true, Would y'all be willing to do a weekly get together and do a Smashboards tournament? I think that would be a lot of fun!
Count me in! Great idea btw.
They... can't, stranger.

That risks the source getting hurt stranger.

What more do you want exactly stranger?
:chuckle:Can't help but reading your posts in this voice now with your 'new' avatar... that and adding 'Stranger?' at the end of every sentence.
some could say i've played too much RE4... and i would answer... you haven't played enough RE4 :p
Ok nerds, fess up!! Who here actually thinks Skull Kid is under Mach Rider??? are y'all trolling?
Skull Kid is not under Mach Rider, plot twist: Mach Rider's bike is wearing Majora's Mask. :troll:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It's clumsy wording for sure. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because this is a pretty bad situation all around, but I think it speaks to internet culture that casual hostility is such a pervasive thing that we begin to see it everywhere.

You can drop out. I'm done arguing over whether this leak is real or not because it's not worth the stress and bad blood when this is supposed to be something to bring us together. Getting a few internet points is not worth making this place a less welcoming environment.

Just disengage, don't play their games, don't stoop down into the muck.
I like this statement. I'll say this: We're better than this. Lets leave it at that.
We seem to be disregarding DLC during all of this discussion. So here are some DLC questions:
  • Who do you want to see as DLC?
  • Who do you think is likely as DLC?
  • How do you think DLC will be structured?
  • Do you think they'll host another ballot?
  • How would your character work as DLC?
  • Who do you think the first DLC character will be? What about the second? The third?
  • How many characters total do you think we'll get? How long do you think the game will be supported?
  • What about DLC stages, music, items, and modes?
  • Will Mii Costumes return? If so, will we get new ones?
Here are some other prompts:
  • Who do you think will be high tier in this game?
  • Similarly, who do you think will be high tier from the newcomers?
  • Come up with a trailer for your most-wanted character
  • Literally anything other than the Grinch Leak or Box Theory

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Christ this thread moves too fast, it's physically impossible to multitask keeping up w here and exploring Muse b-sides rn

But can someone catch me up on what papageno's record has been in the past on smash stuff?
He makes video discussing leaks so he doesn't have any record. I usually disagree strongly with him, like when he was very confident on the Gardevoir leak, but that's just normal discussion. As far as information goes, I think this is a first

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Christ this thread moves too fast, it's physically impossible to multitask keeping up w here and exploring Muse b-sides rn

But can someone catch me up on what papageno's record has been in the past on smash stuff?
He doesn't really have a "record" so to speak, but he's pretty big when it comes to Smash leaks and is very knowledgeable about them. Though, right now he has a source, who has a source that works at Microsoft that can confirm the Grinch leak is real, along with Incineroar being part of it as well. He'll be uploading a video highlighting his new theory of what's going on sometime tomorrow (technically today, but you know what I mean lol).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know how much of an impediment potentially fake sources will be to papagenos' channel, but as far as his credibility goes... perhaps y'all should remind yourselves of how just earlier today you were still drudging up five year old claims to discredit Emily Rogers.

So, good luck to him. I hope it doesn't prove too much of a stigma, but the Smash fanbase is an unforgiving ecosystem.

D

Deleted member

Remember to stay hydrated, sleep well and be thankful for our lord and savior Sakurai the creator.
Too bad; I'm gonna drink lots of soda, stay up way past my bedtime and openly curse Sakurai's name. :V

Whatchya gonna do about it? :V

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
This PapaGenos situation is kinda reminiscent of what happened to loz18 imo. He was just one of us and only wanted to speculate. Then he came out one time with real information that he had obtained and just like that people were clamoring for him to say more. Eventually, he started getting stuff wrong and he lost credibility with everyone and is now hated by pretty much everyone.

Speaking of loz, has anything notable happened with him in a while? I haven't been really following smash speculation to closely since around gamescon in August but I recall loz fizzled out fantastically.
If anything I'd say it's more reminiscent of Neo Zero and the Tower of Smash Leak with Ridley being PLayable.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
So my question is: If this were real, then why did Nintendo send the full real thing? Why didn't they send any of the previous non-spoilery versions for fitting and sizing instead? This is coming from the same people who deliberately chose digital screens and no printed materials to avoid spoilers, so a big sky tube banner with every last newcomer on it surely wouldn't have been overlooked as a potential leak. Why would this one be the one source they'd assume was so safe, they could trust it with the whole roster?

Iridium

Smash Hero
To kind of steer away for a bit, if the online tournament up to 32 people is indeed true, Would y'all be willing to do a weekly get together and do a Smashboards tournament? I think that would be a lot of fun!
If we can incorporate a ranking system with it, then that would be great. I'd be fine without it, but I think it's something to consider.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
So my question is: If this were real, then why did Nintendo send the full real thing? Why didn't they send any of the previous non-spoilery versions for fitting and sizing instead? This is coming from the same people who deliberately chose digital screens and no printed materials to avoid spoilers, so a big sky tube banner with every last newcomer on it surely wouldn't have been overlooked as a potential leak. Why would this one be the one source they'd assume was so safe, they could trust it with the whole roster?
Because they want the advertising material to have the full roster I presume. More characters in advertising = more sales.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I disagree. Box leak was a box. There were no developments, no questions about it. A box is a box. The entire debate was what the box meant.

This is the opposite. It's clear what the leak means, but there are developments and questions out the wazzoo.
Huh? Both box theory and this leak are apt for discussion, they're not different on that aspect. Really, the only thing that turned people off Box Theory is that it only confirmed 2 characters. If it confirmed 5 uknown ones people would all over it

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Okay so I've been watching this thread off and on for several days now and nothing new has been brought forward to confirm or debunk this leak, and now everyone's going on and on about some kind of TeamReal vs. TeamFake vs. insiders vs. popular Smash YouTubers tribe war. The evidence doesn't point to either direction very heavily, and there's no way to prove anything at this point, so why continue arguing? Can we not call this a draw for now and wait for the tiebreaker AKA the inevitable Smash Direct? Good lord.
This. There's fun in speculation, the Grinch leak has been a lot of fun to speculate about, but threatening each other is pointless.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
We seem to be disregarding DLC during all of this discussion. So here are some DLC questions:
  • Who do you think the first DLC character will be? What about the second? The third?
  • How many characters total do you think we'll get? How long do you think the game will be supported?
1. Ashley
2. I sure as **** hope so
3. No idea
4. No idea
5. I sure as **** hope it's a couple years

osby

Smash Obsessed
Leaks are not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey
one is always aware that they lie in wait.
Though speculation is merely a journey to the game release, it must not be undertaken without hype.
Only then will a community’s story live on, treasured by those who bid it farewell.
But alas, now my forum’s discussion has ended, its ****posts left unwritten…
The comfort of release will come, for insiders and fans alike... ...by the guidance of the Great Sakurai.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
People are forgetting Papa Genos said it was a source we would believe too. He woldnt't say that if it was just a random nobody. It could literally be the most obvious person for all we know.
I don't believe anything.
Heck according to science we cant even really trust our own perceptions.
Life could be a simulation, i'm expected to believe an unknown source.
I need evidence.

Xiaolinspiration

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4926-8462-7301
I mean at the very least, if leak had like, undeniable video proof or something from the start that was 100% agreed upon to be real, we could have avoided all this toxicity and arguing and all collectively gotten hyped over these new characters. But that didn't happen. Now even if they do get announced, a ton of people are going to be pissed off because now they're gonna have to hear all the "I told ya sos" and crap and how the leak ruined the surprise. Honestly nothing good is coming out of it and if it's real, we're going to live in a timeline were people will legitimately be angry to see Banjo, Geno, and the others in the game.

I just see no good end to this.
Now who would be mad to see fan requested characters to a game that's catering to the fans? If they didn't wanted this, then they should hibernate till December 7th and avoid this altogether otherwise, it's on you if you got yourself spoiled.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I've personally given up on Tails being in the base game. He hasn't appeared in any leak so unless some sort of miracle happens, I'm just gonna have to wait till DLC, which I still think is very possible.

I'm currently looking into trying Isabelle, Richter, Link, and Jigglypuff, but I have a strong feeling I'm not gonna resonate with any of those guys on a competitive level still.

Which leads me back to my Smash 4 main... Mii Brawler. God I hope he's better in this game...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's clumsy wording for sure. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because this is a pretty bad situation all around, but I think it speaks to internet culture that casual hostility is such a pervasive thing that we begin to see it everywhere.

You can drop out. I'm done arguing over whether this leak is real or not because it's not worth the stress and bad blood when this is supposed to be something to bring us together. Getting a few internet points is not worth making this place a less welcoming environment.

Just disengage, don't play their games, don't stoop down into the muck.
Perhaps I will do that. I'll still watch with popcorn at hand, if you don't mind.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman

Generalizing the other side is exactly why people are complaining about "Toxicity" to begin with.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Huh? Both box theory and this leak are apt for discussion, they're not different on that aspect. Really, the only thing that turned people off Box Theory is that it only confirmed 2 characters. If it confirmed 5 uknown ones people would all over it
The problem with the box is that it was so limiting. Without knowing what's on the back on the box (and if there were characters there) we couldn't really speculate further.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Just a few days ago, we were talking about how the Grinch leak is the best thing happened to this speculation period and now this.

Anyway, at this point I think it's better to dial down a bit.
For three days I was genuinely excited at the prospect of something so new and interesting to discuss. For a short window of time this board really brought up my spirits from everything going on outside the screen.

And then everyone hated each other.

Never ask the internet for leaks ever again.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
It's the nature of the discussions. Box was 100% conjecture nobody could prove while Grinch leak has tangibles that can be torn apart for information on whether it's true.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
To be fair, League is also completely free to play.

If someone pops down 60 bucks after seeing Incineroar and then "Wait, he's DLC? And he wasn't marketed as such?!" then yes, that's grounds to sue. Hell, it would not surprise me if there haven't been countless legal cases where "Something wasn't advertised as being DLC so my client bought the base product thinking it was in it.'
You can sue for anything. Doesn't mean you'd win.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
This. There's fun in speculation, the Grinch leak has been a lot of fun to speculate about, but threatening each other is pointless.
Exactly! Just a few days ago I thought this leak was a godsend for the community because we'd have something to discuss during this information dry spell, but I never imagined it would turn into this. I mean damn, all this pointless arguing and finger pointing is making us ALL look bad. It's pathetic.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I like this statement. Lets leave it at this. We're better than all of this.

Here are some other prompts:
  • Who do you think will be high tier in this game?
  • Similarly, who do you think will be high tier from the newcomers?
  • Come up with a trailer for your most-wanted character
  • Literally anything other than the Grinch Leak or Box Theory
Who do I want to see as DLC?
I would love to see Nintendo dip into their lesser known properties. And I know this is a near impossible pipe dream, but I'd love to see Alex Roivas from Eternal Darkness.

I don't think they'll host another ballot, I can only assume the spreadsheet stretches into infinity full of names. I'd hate to be the guy who has to comb through that.

I think Alex Roivas would be an interesting sort of spellcaster, somewhat clunky attacks to bring out that survival horror vibe but it's balanced out with lots of defensive spells for survivability. It would be interesting to see WFT's self-buff mechanics be a more integral part of a character, like a more focused Shulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom