• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Tbh I think PapaGenos knows that Ultimate will be the last Smash bros he covers for a long time, therefore he realizes he'll have no viewer base to draw attention to his videos talking about leaks, his only niche. so he's going out as a villain by making **** up hoping he's correct
Tbh if you've watched any of his videos and are a human being I don't know how you get that vibe about him. Or anywhere near that. Plus there will be lots of DLC speculation, and he can always branch out into other things.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Now who would be mad to see fan requested characters to a game that's catering to the fans? If they didn't wanted this, then they should hibernate till December 7th and avoid this altogether otherwise, it's on you if you got yourself spoiled.
Because of the bitter taste left in their mouth from all the arguments people have had with others. I'm not saying me personally, but I'm willing to be a lot of people have started to grown to hate these characters because of these arguments now.

Also I'm sorry but, this is 2018. Avoiding spoilers is way more difficult than it was in the past. Twitter, Reddit, SmashBoards, GameFaqs, Youtube. It's everywhere. People have gotten so accustomed to the internet and using it daily that you can't blame them for this anymore.

Dan

Smash Lord
I feel like certain characters rise and fall based on Sakurai: like did a single person want/even consider Chorus Kids before Gematsu? What about Skull Kid? He was a semi-wanted character, but now he's top 10 status just because of the chairs.

Waluigi is more difficult to pin down; I'd like to see where his demand would be if he wasn't even an AT. I think his demand is somewhat artificial, though it's sad his supporters have to sit out the next 5+ years; I personally like the character (loved using him in Mario Tennis 64, standing in front of the net and spiking the **** out of the ball [some of my best gaming memories ever]) and am not trying to open a can of worms, but he hasn't really done much to deserve to be in Smash, unless you want a character to represent the Mario spinoffs, which with how many there are is kind of a worthy cause (but not a totally obvious one).

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I don't believe anything.
Heck according to science we cant even really trust our own perceptions.
Life could be a simulation, i'm expected to believe an unknown source.
I need evidence.
There's a thing called intuition as well. Not sure you have that or not.

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
I don't see how it's any different than the Box theory. It's come to talking about the same thing over every single day, with insults and toxicity thrown at each other at the expensive of ruining Sakurai's surprise. Instead of living in a timeline where we could have had the box theory debunked and everyone going
"Oh god im so glad I was wrong about the box theory!"

We now have this crummy timeline where 50% of people are gonna come out super angry because it was either real or fake. Honestly I'd go back to the days before this in a heart beat. Then again, I don't really expect anyone here to agree with me seeing as some of you have already said you'd prefer it to be leaked like this rather than have it officially shown off.

Honestly it feels like Ground hogs day when I visit this website, it's literally the same discussion over and over again.
The bolded is exactly why Nintendo really should have planned differently and spaced out their marketing for the game more evenly rather than front-loading, and (presumably) back-loading it with nothing to fill in the middle.

Otherwise I agree with this sentiment completely, except I'd rather not let go of the idea that so many people could be completely overwhelmed with joy should the leak be true.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I like this statement. I'll say this: We're better than this. Lets leave it at that.
We seem to be disregarding DLC during all of this discussion. So here are some DLC questions:
  • Who do you want to see as DLC?
  • Who do you think is likely as DLC?
  • How do you think DLC will be structured?
  • Do you think they'll host another ballot?
  • How would your character work as DLC?
  • Who do you think the first DLC character will be? What about the second? The third?
  • How many characters total do you think we'll get? How long do you think the game will be supported?
  • What about DLC stages, music, items, and modes?
  • Will Mii Costumes return? If so, will we get new ones?
  • Spring Man, Bandana Dee, Joker
  • Um, Spring Man? No idea apart from that
  • Similar to last time, but longer
  • If they do, I'll run away screaming
  • Not bad, not great
  • Uh, no idea. Geno or Incineroar?
  • About 10 characters, about two years
  • Returning stages, new stages for newcomers, music yes. Items and modes, probably no.
  • I sure hope so.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Still a nice touch to see, when both Pikachu and Pichu miss a grab. Almost makes them seem the same.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Generalizing the other side is exactly why people are complaining about "Toxicity" to begin with.
I can't not see that when people say "Box Theory had no depth" when it was pretty well-thought. Most people dismissed it as "dumb" and "killing the hype" which I could not care less.

The problem with the box is that is was so limiting. Without knowing what's on the back on the box (and if there were characters there) we couldn't really speculate further.
We were speculating as much as we are now. We had our evidences, our theories and kept running in circles. The only thing it was limiting in was the number of characters.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The bolded is exactly why Nintendo really should have planned differently and spaced out their marketing for the game more evenly rather than front-loading, and (presumably) back-loading it with nothing to fill in the middle.

Otherwise I agree with this sentiment completely, except I'd rather not let go of the idea that so many people could be completely overwhelmed with joy should the leak be true.
I mean that's what flabbergasts me the most. The heck are they thinking saving 7 characters for the end? I understand people want to have a hype finisher, but you don't need THAT much. Banjo and Geno alone could have been a great finisher. Why couldn't Chorus Kids, Isaac, and Mach Rider show up in September/October??? It doesn't make sense.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Didn't the people who made K. Rool not know that he was going to appear in Ultimate?
Rare doesn't own K Rool anymore. But they do own Banjo. Nintendo can't get Banjo in Smash without Microsoft and Rares consent, so again Gregg absolutely knows whether Banjo is in for this case, whereas he'd have no reason to know about K Rool since they don't own him.

And if Gregg knows, do you think he wouldn't tell his brother, the one who actually created the character?

Last edited:

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Honestly, I think we've all missed the truth behind this leak all along. Sakurai said he wanted to reveal all characters before launch and this is his way of doing so. The next trailer will start with a court case with people discussing whether this "leak" is real or fake and then a certain spiky haired lawyer walks in with "Phoenix Wright takes the case" as the tagline revealing a missing 8th character. Also Incineroar is the judge for some reason. Phoenix calls in Sakurai to the witness stand and then begins revealing trailers one after another as evidence that Sakurai was the real leaker all along. If you don't see how obvious this is, you obviously don't have the 2317 IQ that Sakurai possesses.

Xiaolinspiration

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4926-8462-7301
Because of the bitter taste left in their mouth from all the arguments people have had with others. I'm not saying me personally, but I'm willing to be a lot of people have started to grown to hate these characters because of these arguments now.

Also I'm sorry but, this is 2018. Avoiding spoilers is way more difficult than it was in the past. Twitter, Reddit, SmashBoards, GameFaqs, Youtube. It's everywhere. People have gotten so accustomed to the internet and using it daily that you can't blame them for this anymore.
Well either way for Sakurai, this is going to be a lose-lose situation.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I can't not see that when people say "Box Theory had no depth" when it was pretty well-thought. Most people dismissed it as "dumb" and "killing the hype" which I could not care less.

We were speculating as much as we were now. We had our evidences, our theories and kept running in circles. The only thing it was limiting in was the number of characters.
It was also limiting in the fact that we had no visual evidence. We were speculating about the back and the other side of the box that we hadn't even seen. We actually can see the "leaked" banner with our eyes. There's a big difference.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Nintendo doing day 1 dlc would be laaaaaaameeee.
Mewtwo was like day 1 announced dlc but still came a few months after.

Shroob

Sup?
haha he's such a cool guy because he makes 30 minute drawn out videos that have him repeat himself to gain maximum ad revenue for making dumb assumptions and never having a source. Suddenly when he believes in a leak that he wants to be true (Come on he has a Geno bias, this leak has Geno) he says he's been talking with his sources? His source sounds like my rear
Wow, this really ain't it, chief.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
haha he's such a cool guy because he makes 30 minute drawn out videos that have him repeat himself to gain maximum ad revenue for making dumb assumptions and never having a source. Suddenly when he believes in a leak that he wants to be true (Come on he has a Geno bias, this leak has Geno) he says he's been talking with his sources? His source sounds like my rear
And you sound like your own rear. You should probably stop talking out of it.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well either way for Sakurai, this is going to be a lose-lose situation.
Pretty much. People may call us Smash fans impatient for wanting info so quickly, but they don't realize how badly leaks affect us. Sakurai should know more than anyone that leaks are inevitable. Would it really be that bad of an idea to have shown off the full roster a few weeks ago? I don't know. He took the risk of waiting and it didn't pay off.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
It was also limiting in the fact that we had no visual evidence. We were speculating about the back and the other side of the box that we hadn't even seen. We actually can see the "leaked" banner with our eyes. There's a big difference.
Can't argue with that. My point still stands that if box theory somehow were able to confirm 5 characters and this banner leak only had Incineroar and Ken, people would be all supporting the box because it's "from an official source" or some crap like that. I know this is conjecture on my part, but it makes me really tired seeing how little discussion people here actually want to partake in.

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
I want to believe Papageno is legit. However, I do find it extremely suspicious that he supposedly has a source no one else has talked to (or at least admits to having talked to).

No disrespect meant to the guy.
The biggest issue with papageno is that he says outright his source has a source located at Microsoft. He's not doing this for money, so he wouldn't be losing out on anything per say, but if his source is full of baloney, or is actually being mislead by the Microsoft guy (who might not even be working for Microsoft at all of course) it will make him look really bad to a ton of people who have faith in him.

For his well being, I hope he isn't being taken for a ride.

Dan

Smash Lord
Tbh I think PapaGenos knows that Ultimate will be the last Smash bros he covers for a long time, therefore he realizes he'll have no viewer base to draw attention to his videos talking about leaks, his only niche. so he's going out as a villain by making **** up hoping he's correct
This makes so little sense that I can't actually debate you, so I guess you win?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I mean that's what flabbergasts me the most. The heck are they thinking saving 7 characters for the end? I understand people want to have a hype finisher, but you don't need THAT much. Banjo and Geno alone could have been a great finisher. Why couldn't Chorus Kids, Isaac, and Mach Rider show up in September/October??? It doesn't make sense.
This is the main thing I find weird. Before this leak I expected box theory to be false and that we'd have around 4 characters left. But with the future this leak presents? They could have had monthly reveals and they still could have ended on a high note. The reveal schedule for this game makes no sense, if I'm being frank.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oof-
I dunno if it's NDA but Grant usually come as genuine about those things...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Papa is being duped but I don't think he's intentionally lying or hurting people.

D

Deleted member

Another Great detail on the banner If you look at the chorus kids+conductor they look like the cover of the original rythem heaven

ACF2CA1B-40D5-480A-820A-FBBBDA55D67E.jpeg

Also another detail I noticed
C9C01D38-4F80-45AC-8229-82E2F804B819.jpeg

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Because they want the advertising material to have the full roster I presume. More characters in advertising = more sales.
That's...really shallow! A sky tube banner isn't going to dictate Smash Ultimate's sales! No printed materials, and digital screens for everything - but a sky tube banner is apparently okay to overlook?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
It's pretty clear that you have no idea what you're talking about

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
The only reason I like talking about the Grinch leak is because of how much a fantastic and perfect base roster it would have and how happy we would be for it to be legit.

I mean it has Geno, Issac, freaking Shadow, MOTHER EFFING BANJO who are all highly requested fan picks that have been wanted since Brawl alongside once considered picks like Mach Rider and Chorus Kids which could finally have a chance as well the already likely original Echo Ken, what more could you ask for with an already awesome roster?

Yeah it’s sad that Skull Kid, Bandana Dee etc couldn’t make the cut but there’s always DLC.

Even some people on Team Fake want it to be real, even if they doubt the evidence.

So my question is: If this were real, then why did Nintendo send the full real thing? Why didn't they send any of the previous non-spoilery versions for fitting and sizing instead? This is coming from the same people who deliberately chose digital screens and no printed materials to avoid spoilers, so a big sky tube banner with every last newcomer on it surely wouldn't have been overlooked as a potential leak. Why would this one be the one source they'd assume was so safe, they could trust it with the whole roster?
That’s easy to answer, most likely for launch promotion when the full roster is known to the public.

Last edited:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Ish things got hostile with this leak.

At the end of the day it's characters in a video game. Don't get me wrong--I was heartbroken when Ridley wasn't revealed as playable for Smash 4, but it's such a small thing at the end of the day.

If the leak's real, wonderful! Banjo-freaking-Kazooie will be playable! If it's not, well, I'll do exactly what I did with Ridley when the first ballet was announced. Vote.

I love you all--the whole lot of you. Don't kill each other over this, ok?

Shroob

Sup?
it's funny because I insulted a fan favorite youtuber so that automatically means I'm in the wrong and none of what I said matters. Ha!
I think people should, if they aren't already, taking what he says with a huge grain of salt, it's foolish to blindly believe in everything you hear.

But ngl, you're being an ass. Even if he is being duped, he's a nice guy.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
it's funny because I insulted a fan favorite youtuber so that automatically means I'm in the wrong and none of what I said matters. Ha!
You could be right, I don't know the guy personally. But common sense, just watching his videos, and interacting with him on discord and on these forums says otherwise.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Hmmm there also has to be a reason Nintendo has not taken anything regarding the link down, no? They know it's fake...

Not that this helps them though. Anything they reveal before the game launches will most likely not compare to the banner's theoretical situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom