• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

Anyone have any theories why the name is "blacked out" with a brush designed to emulate physical media?
The common argument is that whoever "censored" this wasn't the person who made the images but I don't know what sense it makes to black something out with a low opacity brush and leaving such an overt trail.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Anyone have any theories why the name is "blacked out" with a brush designed to emulate physical media?
((I'd like to think)) It was done in MS Paint.
1540687266082.png

I use the brush cause other brushes in paint don't really get big enough.
I also only use paint for quick edits, like crossing something out.

*shrug*
The person who did it wasn't the person who took the video but past that who knows.

Maybe the person who did it thought it was good enough without realizing the transparency betrays them.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If the leak is real, I'll understand why, and be hyped for Shadow.

But I'll still be a little disappointed that they picked him over Tails.

I fully get why though. And heck yeah, a new Sonic rep!
Most likely because Shadow works well for an echo as well as having the same model as Sonic. Tails at most would be a semi-clone. Also he's second to Sonic as the most popular character in the franchise.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

the snapchat had his name on it

the friend/family member or whoever Eric shared it to used the thick brush tool in MS paint to cover up his name and leaked it on 4chan

the name didn't come from the papers or anything, it came from the phone he was using

as an avid ms paint user back in the day, this brush is often used for blacking out things because of how thick it is

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Um...

I'd say "the scrub out was done in an image manipulation program like Photoshop" but all image manipulation programs have solid brushes(, I'm sure).

It's such a weird thing to get "wrong".

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Want to play a game guys? Rate the characters chances as DLC. I'll start off with these ones and explain why.

-Rayman
-Rex
-Sora
-Spring Man
-Tails

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
I found something interesting that could very well be a coincidence, but is certainly something noteworthy. The channel 31 Horas Music has also been uploading confirmed and assumed to be in Smash Ultimate music on their channel. However, the day before the September direct, they uploaded 3 fanmade remixed themes of 3 characters and said this in the comments of one of them. "During these hours, previous the Nintendo Direct, we will post some fanmade music for to keep the hype to the maximum. This songs will be deleted after Direct." Also the songs weren't deleted for some reason

But you may be wondering who those 3 characters were. Well, see for yourself.

epic time yeah.png

Either this guy knows something, or it's probably just a coincidence and he was trying to stir up hype for 3 characters who had a possible chance.

Last edited:

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
I really don't know what to think about this leak anymore.
Don't think then. Breath, relax, let your mind wander free from Smash speculation. If you can, go outside, take a walk, enjoy nature and the fresh air.

Alternatively, watch this highly recommended by me (9 out of 10 Daleks doctors agree with its medicinal value) relaxation video to simulate the effect:

:p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
One thing I keep thinking of; if the guy is in his 50s, he probably doesn't take video games that seriously.

Since he would still be in the mindset that games are still simple like PAC-MAN, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong and the like.

Assuming he's just a grunt and not a mastermind.
However you'd also have to wonder if a man in his 50's who doesn't take video games that seriously would understand the significance of that mural to the point they'd bother taking a video of it and snapping it out.

Moreover, you'd have to ask yourself what 50+ year old is using snapchat, let alone with memey stickers and language worthy of a teenager.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Um...

I'd say "the scrub out was done in an image manipulation program like Photoshop" but all image manipulation programs have solid brushes(, I'm sure).

It's such a weird thing to get "wrong".
Like I said, I'd wager they pulled it up in paint.

1540687579641.png

They were probably rushing or something, and the "watercolor brush" is just larger than the solid brushes.

Otherwise, they probably did it on purpose to lead people on a goose chase.

EDIT: I realized I'm not the only person who's said this. Neat. Haha

Also, the more I think about it the less likely he was in a rush and more likely he intentionally just kinda swoosh'd the brush over the name a couple times, not enough to obscure anything... perhaps.

Well, I don't know his motive, I just know what it is.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Want to play a game guys? Rate the characters chances as DLC. I'll start off with these ones and explain why.

-Rayman
-Rex
-Sora
-Spring Man
-Tails
Rayman 30% He isn't too big in Japan, I think that hurts his chances...
Rex 80% He seems obvious
Sora 50% It could go either way, rights can be an issue, that being said, he's highly requested...
Springman 90% He seems almost obvious
Tails 40% If Shadow is getting as Sonic's Echo. I doubt we're getting another Sonic Rep

Anyways, Rate these DLC Character's chances and explain why:
-Crash Bandicoot
-Steve
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Elma
-Octoling
-Gen 8 Pokemon
-Bandana Waddle Dee

Last edited:

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
NOW WAIT JUST ONE DANG MINUTE

If Banjo gets in, would he keep his iconic goofy voice or will Sakurai pull the ol’ realistic animal noises trick.

You would think he would respect them as third parties but Bowser, all the DK reps, two of which being created by Rare were made animalistic over their goofy voices.

KMDP

Smash Legend
the snapchat had his name on it

the friend/family member or whoever used the thick brush tool in MS paint to cover up his name and leaked it on 4chan

the name didn't come from the papers or anything, it came from the phone he was using
It lends credence to the idea that the actual leaker is, like, Eric Bricard's son(/daughter) or something.

Maybe his dad let him know he was worked on a Nintendo thing, and the son convinced him to Snapchat him footage of his office later (probably under the pretense of just wanting to see his office).

Eric obliges his son, and... well, here we are.

This makes lots of assumptions, but it explains some things.
If you were blacking something out, why a brush anyway

use fill shapes
General lack of forethought?

"Ah, that'll be good enough, nobody's going to see through that."
Which, if what I just said is accurate, means the true leaker isn't that knowledgeable about the power of image manipulation programs.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Rayman 30% He isn't too big in Japan, I think that hurts his chances...
Rex 80% He seems obvious
Sora 50% It could go either way, rights can be an issue, that being said, he's highly requested...
Springman 90% He seems almost obvious
Tails 40% If Shadow is getting as Sonic's Echo. I doubt we're getting another Sonic Rep

Anyways, Rate these DLC Character's chances:
-Crash Bandicoot
-Steve
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Elma
-Octoling
-Gen 8 Pokemon
-Bandana Waddle Dee
Dixie Kong

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice

If Banjo gets in, would he keep his iconic goofy voice or will Sakurai pull the ol’ realistic animal noises trick.

You would think he would respect them as third parties but Bowser, all the DK reps, two of which being created by Rare were made animalistic over their goofy voices.
I'm looking forward to hearing a recording of an actual bear roar everytime I punch Banjo in the shin.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Knuckles, what in the heck are you doing?!

I'm sorry lol.
I'd love Heroes music though as it was my first Sonic game.
I'm gooo~nna use you guys as boxing gloooves.
Wait! What!Wooaaah
ShIFt rOcK YeAh! no more blocking pillars left!
Stoooo~oop it, Knux! Poor Tails is bleeding to death.
I love that parody too, you're not alone;)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I'm starting to want Banjo with realistic noises... lol
It'd be hilarious...

KMDP

Smash Legend
However you'd also have to wonder if a man in his 50's who doesn't take video games that seriously would understand the significance of that mural to the point they'd bother taking a video of it and snapping it out.

Moreover, you'd have to ask yourself what 50+ year old is using snapchat, let alone with memey stickers and language worthy of a teenager.
What a coincidence, I just wrote up a scenario that'd explain that first bit. XD

This whole thing is so confusing.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

Team Fake theory here:
They covered the name but left it visible so that people would easily find it.
They wanted people to find the name, because it's the name of a person who works with promotional stuff etc.
It was only to make the leak more credible and the actual person is not connected with the leak in any way, they just found that name and decided to use it.
The fake leaker will never come out because he could get into legal troubles for what he did: we'll never know anything about all this, it will fade into obscurity.

Last edited:

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
It lends credence to the idea that the actual leaker is, like, Eric Bricard's son(/daughter) or something.

Maybe his dad let him know he was worked on a Nintendo thing, and the son convinced him to Snapchat him footage of his office later (probably under the pretense of just wanting to see his office).

Eric obliges his son, and... well, here we are.

This makes lots of assumptions, but it explains some things.

General lack of forethought?

"Ah, that'll be good enough, nobody's going to see through that."
Which, if what I just said is accurate, means the true leaker isn't that knowledgeable about the power of image manipulation programs.
If it was actually Eric’s kid, that’s a pretty terrible child. Possibly cost their Dad his job.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

I'd imagine it is possible? Unless Microsoft says "Please don't make him sound like an animal"

EDIT: Another note, Kazooie would have to sound like a bird...tweet tweet! ROAR!

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I can't imagine Banjo with a real bear growl.

Just don't see how you'd keep him feeling authentic to his friendly nature if he's growling like a real bear.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I hate that the one thing that could get me off this crazy speculation train, phoenix Wright, is no where in sight. Until he's confirmed as a fighter, here I am, unable to relax.
At this point I don’t think he’s base roster material, but with the trilogy port and possibly a new game on the horizon (?), I hope to see him as DLC.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If it was actually Eric’s kid, that’s a pretty terrible child. Possibly cost their Dad his job.
If the kid is teenaged...

Well, a lot of teenagers don't really look to the future and are only focused on the "now", and are also pretty selfish.

They didn't consider that leaking the banner would cost their dad their job, they just wanted the internet points of leaking the roster.

(All hypothetical)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom