• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polan

Smash Lord
Only issue with this argument is that they've already covered tons of fake leaks in the past. If they were covering exclusively fake leaks, what makes this one any different? The amount of effort put into this one would make it into some incredible discussion videos.
probably the fact that we're so close to release and that this leak is making people expect 7 ****ing characters in a month. helping it spread if its fake is a bad idea.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It's really not surprising that a group of people who think the leak is fake have decided to stop talking about it when literally everybody who says they think the leak is fake gets harassed about it.

Back when the ESRB leak was live, GameExplain's opinion was the popular one.

KMDP

Smash Legend
....but how could that be unless the argument is that "yes it's real, but there's still more"? :dizzy:
Insanity.
If I had insider information, and I was a face of a news outlet trusted by Nintendo, I'd probably not say anything personally
I mean, I'm not anyone at GX, but between Nintendo's trust and how absolutely rabid many people are being about this leak, it's better to abstain when you're speaking through the context of your outlet.

Of course, I probably wouldn't directly address a group of inflamed denizens of the internet by comparing them with a rather politically controversial group of people.

But I don't have insider information so whatever :denzel:
Ohhhhhh, damn.
I think GameXplain dug themselves into a hole they can't really get out of at this point. They are either wrong on this, which would heavily damage their credibility, or are correct, and are basically just another media arm for Nintendo without disclosing it, given the recent string of "predictions" that have come from them.
One could say those "predictions" are, in themselves, incredibly arrogant.

They seem to have collectively gotten swelled heads at some point.

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
I could see this....HOWEVER.

There have been a bunch of fake leaks for Smash Ultimate.

Have they not covered them? Why would Nintendo specifically say ''It's fake" to them on this one?

Why would they not want to control other scenarios? Like that new item leak? If Nintendo is in cohoots with them on controlling information you'd think there'd be more oddities in the way they discuss Smash Ultimate.

I'm still not Team Real or anything. Just a thought I had.
definitely something odd about them not covering this leak. They were all over the 108 stage from Coro Coro I believe/box theory and other stuff.

I thinks its a combo of both not angering Nintendo and the fact that they really are expecting Incineroar

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's really not surprising that a group of people who think the leak is fake have decided to stop talking about it when literally everybody who says they think the leak is fake gets harassed about it.

I failed to consider this. And **** me, this makes sense considering we live in a world where people get harassed for playing a video game they never played before and played it 'wrong'

Chrollo.

fka president wario

id still wager that it was way more toxic back then than it is now tbh. i mean, dont get me wrong, the harassment is ridiculous, but you at least have a 60/40 split with this leak. The ESRB was like a 20/80 split.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
This is only vaguely related, but hasn't the Eternal Darkness IP been renewed continuously despite it going unused for ages?
Sadly yes

We need Eternal Darkness rep in Smash, but it's not a platformer or jrpg so everyone ignores it yayyyyy

Pakky

Smash Hero
The moment there's a gif its over.

That's why I don't consider like the ESRB.

Though if that gif is of Inceniroar, he is the new Little Mac.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If I had insider information, and I was a face of a news outlet trusted by Nintendo, I'd probably not say anything personally
I mean, I'm not anyone at GX, but between Nintendo's trust and how absolutely rabid many people are being about this leak, it's better to abstain when you're speaking through the context of your outlet.

Of course, I probably wouldn't directly address a group of inflamed denizens of the internet by comparing them with a rather politically controversial group of people.

See the thing I disagree with here. Is they clearly don't give a **** at all about leaking smash on their channel.

Jon leaked:

-Ridley

-Mario Tennis aces direct

-Captain Toads ports

-Unique Isabelle

-Kirby's epic yarn 3ds

-All the final fantasy switch games

-Pretty sure he was also hinting AC switch before its reveal.

That's off the top of my head.

The man is leaking more then a burst pipe in all honestly. Nintendo clearly doesn't care because I highly doubt they haven't caught onto this when 90 percent of GX watchers have. Or you could argue that if they did, it could be exactly why they are trying to discredit the leak on Nintendo's behalf. After all, John's last prediction was conveniently banjo with realistic bear noises.

That was like 2 weeks ago and then this all happens? GX has honestly been all over the place with leaks. Also if everyone is so ok with leaking incenroar there is no excuse to not leak the other characters they know. Because at this point, if incenroar is in, Nintendo and Pokemon must be pissed that everyone and their mother are going out and saying hes in. Pokemon is very protective and when incenroar was not predicted by fans I can't see PC being happy with the leak.

GX as much as I like their channel and other insiders have made everything an explosive mess with this leak and nintendo is probably pissed regardless of the outcome.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, GameXPlain definitely knows what's up. They of course aren't gonna say anything, because, y'know, they legally can't without putting themselves and their source in hot water.

As others have already said, I really wish people would just chill and stop harassing these people on Twitter and ResetEra. They told you what they think about the leak, it's not their fault that it isn't what some people wanted to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Good man you are doing most of these people a great service. imma go play a dead game! =D
Oh I'm not married. I just like to make potshots at the thread to assert my dominance as the alpha male, until the mods come in, then I go back to roleplaying as a pawn. But you didn't hear that from me.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
OK...we all know that everyone is divided when it comes to do we believe this is real or not, but what if we phrase the question differently:

Do you WANT this leak to be real or not? No facts, no proof, no debunking. If these were the final 7 newcomers, would you be excited?
if the leak is true i'll never ask sakurai for anything ever again

Chrollo.

fka president wario
honestly though if jon’s right and shadow’s in the game as a semi clone a rocket launcher is a nice replacement for his gun because i still at least get to shoot things

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Basically, Gamexplain are suspiciously quiet about the Grinch Leak, when when the ESRB leak happened they were all. over. that. ****.
---
I'd like to say that Andre's comment of "So people really think there won't be at least one new Pokémon, huh? :054:" is incredibly arrogant.
Could certainly be that, But i dunno. In my mind i see it as Andre being kinda like "Oh, people think we won't get another pokemon?" In the confused sense. then again, i don't know the context or tone he said it in.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But you should, lol. You're ignoring that most of what he's said isn't even his own and you're ignoring that claims made within the same timeframe as Smash has been wrong. There's not some universal force that dictates "It only matters game-by-game!". That's not how it works.
It stands to reason that most of Verge's material for Ultimate is coming from the same source(s).

So let me rephrase my response. I'm looking at what these sources have correctly predicted with Ultimate, and as of now, they haven't been wrong. I have no idea who was responsible for feeding Verge the DBFZ material, nor do I know the circumstances behind the info he got on that game. I'm just focusing on this game only.

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
See the thing I disagree with here. Is they clearly don't give a **** at all about leaking smash on their channel.

Jon leaked:

-Ridley

-Captain Toads ports

-Unique Isabelle

-Kirby's epic yarn 3ds

The man is leaking more then a burst pipe in all honestly. Nintendo clearly doesn't care because I highly doubt they haven't caught onto this when 90 percent of GX watchers have. Or you could argue that if they did, it could be exactly why they are trying to discredit the leak on Nintendo's behalf. After all, John's last prediction was conveniently banjo with realistic bear noises.

That was like 2 weeks ago and then this all happens? GX has honestly been all over the place with leaks. Also if everyone is so ok with leaking incenroar there is no excuse to not leak the other characters they know. Because at this point, if incenroar is in, Nintendo and Pokemon must be pissed that everyone and their mother are going out and saying hes in. Pokemon is very protective and when incenroar was not predicted by fans I can't see PC being happy with the leak.

GX as much as I like their channel and other insiders have made everything an explosive mess with this leak and nintendo is probably pissed regardless of the outcome.
He didn't "leak" these.

He predicted it. Which happens, I predicted everything on that list, too. Other than the Final Fantasy stuf.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Jon leaked:

-Ridley

-Captain Toads ports

-Unique Isabelle

-Kirby's epic yarn 3ds

Sure.
That's why I mentioned Nintendo's trust and the fact that people are ridiculously rabid over this leak in particular.
I don't recall people being this annoying toxic over Unique Isabelle or Epic Yarn :p

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
How long did the ESRB leak take to go from screenshots to video?
*huffs* I’m guessing 10 days ish

But I can’t wait for this leak to be proven real or fake already this is madness what’s going on here

I mean when team real gets new proof of being real team fake goes attempts to shut it down

Glad to be team neutral

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord

Agreed. Also, when a leak has some insane looking credibility like this, i'd rather keep my mouth shut if I was in on something as well. I have a feeling if this turns out real, a lot of these "insiders" are gonna be held liable like the boy who cried wolf.

They're not at all considering the possibility that they've been duped so Nintendo can fish out the leakers, nor are they considering that Incineroar could possibly be DLC. Perplexing...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The analogy someone used about a guy walking into a casual coffee shop and inflating a blowup doll had me in tears.
I went looking through the thread again, and some of the posts are missing? How strange.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I think GX assumed this leak wouldn't take off, gave it less-that-their-best because they know something, and got really defensive in part because the leak absolutely exploded all over the internet. I think they would've stayed silent if they knew how big it was going to get. Regardless, I don't think their abridged reaction means anything one way or another beyond the fact that they know something. We can't know what that is so there's really no point in bothering them. They won't share - they're very close to Nintendo and have a lot to lose.

Either it's

1: "We know Incineroar is in and we need to swipe this away"

2: "We know this is real and need to dismiss it and hope it goes away"

Neither helps or hurts the leak and just says GX is more of an insider than they may let on. It's pointless to argue about.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

I feel like this has gotten nastier than ESRB ever was. I'm seeing disturbing parallels to class warfare, like it's some legitimate struggle against elite insiders when it's absolutely not.

At first I understood some of the sentiment behind being wary of taking people at their word just because they say so, but people are taking this to extremes they have no business taking it to. Them going silent is more a matter of self defense than any sort of tell on what they know.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
How long did the ESRB leak take to go from screenshots to video?
Pretty sure it was overnight the videos surfaced. It was not long at all iirc.
He didn't "leak" these.

He predicted it. Which happens, I predicted everything on that list, too. Other than the Final Fantasy stuf.
If you think he can predict all those things and they be 100 percent right, especially the Epic Yarn port and ff stuff, then I honestly don't know what to say....

Jon has made it pretty clear he's a coy leaker.

D

Deleted member

Because he seemingly employs different sources and a stronger vetting system for Smash leaks than he does elsewhere. For Smash, not since getting things right has he gotten them wrong. It's because his method for leaking Smash is more akin to professional procedure whereby you obtain multiple unrelated testimonies to verify a claim before you move forward with publishing it. Whereas his method with non-Smash stuff is more haphazard, presumably because there's less fervour surrounding that stuff, and I guess less at stake, reputation-wise. I don't know. It does hurt his reputation nonetheless to be wrong about that other stuff, clearly, and I would employ the same level of diligence to all his claims if I were him, even if that means making fewer of them. But it doesn't negate him being right about Smash.

But as with Emily and any leaker, never have I advocated putting immutable faith in any unsubstantiated claim. He also still comes off smug as a bug in a rug and regularly gets baited by GameFAQs into defending his honour like a twelve-year-old. Which can be off-putting.

Having this conversation is funny though because I also remember arguing with you towards Gematsu's validity after the fact as well.

Well right now the burden of proof is on you to substantiate her corroboration of those two Eurogamer claims. Though again, that still wouldn't greatly alter her laudable batting average, as far as leakers go.

Everything else I already addressed in the post you quoted.
I forget that you studied journalism, so I suppose that's a fair analysis on things. I still choose to not believe him, as I definitely do NOT want his leaks for DBFZ to be right in any manner, so call it bias I suppose.

Also, I genuinely do not remember ANYTHING about the Gematsu leak tbh. People keep bringing it up, but I draw a total blank on that. I remember accepting the ESBR leak rather quickly despite not wanting it to be true. But the Gematsu leak, I don't even remember what it said outside of the Chorus Kids.

EDIT: Also, I don't think he's right about Smash. Then again he did only say Ken and the Poketiger. But think Incineroar is a bait character that's getting a lot of people. That or he was scrapped/planned for DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Could certainly be that, But i dunno. In my mind i see it as Andre being kinda like "Oh, people think we won't get another pokemon?" In the confused sense. then again, i don't know the context or tone he said it in.
It was a Twitter post, including a picture of Psyduck (which I substituted with the Psyduck emote).
The structure of the sentence along with the picture implies that the tone is a sarcastic one.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
What predictions have gameexplain gotten right? (I don't watch them all to much, just trying to catch up)
I don't know all of them because I don't follow them, but I know for sure that they predicted that Adeleine was probably going to be playable in Kirby Star Allies... they made a video about this a couple of weeks before the "Dream Friends" feature was announced (old characters returning as playable), and after 18 years of that specific character being completely neglected. A weird coincidence.

I think they predicted Ridley and Isabelle as unique, probably more stuff too.
And they predicted the Kirby Epic Yarn proting on 3DS.

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
Now everyone is arguing about whether or not a game channel knows anything?
Good lord people look at yourselves. Is this really worth arguing? Does this even have anything to do with the leak in hand anymore?
We literally don't know what goes on in the background of GameXplain, and you can speculate all you want, but in the end it's all conjecture. We don't know anything. Is it really worth arguing about that?

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
http://i.4cdn.org/v/1540678062784.png

That was found on the leak

But team fake as usual gives arguements against it

I’m still assuming fake for safety reasons but I’m leaning toward real
I really doubt that it means anything, all the stuff around looks more like printing tests than definitive works. That 'bracelet' is not a definitive work for sure (a serious designer won't go with a black line around the item) and looking through the paper... It's too much for me. I really doubt that we could go further with the pic in one way or another.
Thanks for the info.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
It was a Twitter post, including a picture of Psyduck (which I substituted with the Psyduck emote).
The structure of the sentence along with the picture implies that the tone is a sarcastic one.
I dunno. I still can't see it. But what do i know?
(I mean, i guess i sorta can?)

Good lord people look at yourselves. Is this really worth arguing? Does this even have anything to do with the leak in hand anymore?
We literally don't know what goes on in the background of GameXplain, and you can speculate all you want, but in the end it's all conjecture. We don't know anything. Is it really worth arguing about that?
Honestly. i could care less.

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
It’s worth wondering why they are staying silent when every other major “rumor” this entire smash cycle was gaining their full attention on discussions.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
but in the end it's all conjecture.
Most of the conversation is all conjecture, so that's all people are gonna deliberate over. I've said it before and I'll say it again. In that sense, I don't disagree.
Nothing of importance will happen for a while.

But I'm not gonna sit here and try to say people can't talk about it
Mostly cause nobody will actually listen to that and will go about their business anyway. It's like walking into an echochamber already rife with noise and dropping a coin in it.

It probably made a noise but everyone's 3 arguments are louder lol

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
*huffs* I’m guessing 10 days ish

But I can’t wait for this leak to be proven real or fake already this is madness what’s going on here

I mean when team real gets new proof of being real team fake goes attempts to shut it down

Glad to be team neutral
You're misreading the intention. I believe the assertion it's a bracelet is false even under the assumption the leak is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom