• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

A guy who's a professional graphics designer, and thus more suited to analyzing and judging this than any one of us here.

I sense saltiness here.
Uh...I don’t care about Rayman or the leak, I was just cracking a joke.
1. That doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about.
2. You imply there something wrong with making a fake leak like that, but I fail to see it. He did it as a graphic design exercise, a test of his skills. He never harmed anyone, and in fact, he did a "make of" video afterwards that many people learned from. And he even changed everyone's expectations and approach of future fake leaks.
3. He didn't do it to promote his channel series. He planned Smashified after the surprising popularity he got, and the requests of people to make more. But then again, even if he did, nothing wrong with that. Guerilla marketing is a thing, and if done properly, it's completely respectable.
See above.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
The thing that really kills me on the inside is having to go back to every already-discussed argument made for and against the leak every five minutes because some yokel isn't up to date
This drives me crazy. Either go back and look it up yourself, or just try to figure it out by context. "I took a nap, what did I miss?" Why is it anyone's responsibility to monitor your offline time? Grumble Growl Incineroar

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yes, Sakurai decided not to use Takamaru for that exact reason, but maybe that was only one of the reasons? Like, Nintendo probably has no intention of doing anything with Mysterious Murasame Castle. Ice Climbers are the obvious counterpoint to this, but they probably would have been a one-off thing had they not gotten popular, and are now being Grandfathered in for the fans.

Unlike Takamaru; Isaac, Geno, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Banjo Kazooie, Shadow and Ken have all seen worldwide releases within their lifespan, and have the potential to please casuals (and will definitely please hardcore Smash fans).
Given the minigame in Nintendo Land and the worldwide release of the game on the 3DS, why would he stick with this reason?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
230.png

Does he even know the Conductor's head is supposed to look like that?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, the thing is, those culturally known characters (i.e. PAC-MAN) are already in the game.

And once they're in the game, where do you go from there? There are only so many well known characters, and most of them are third party (meaning licensing costs). Not to mention that Shadow and Ken are two of the most well known video game characters, after the ones that are already in.

Besides this, not being known to wider audiences isn't really the barrier to entry people seem to think it is; since they could use Smash to make them more well known.

Yes, Sakurai decided not to use Takamaru for that exact reason, but maybe that was only one of the reasons? Like, Nintendo probably has no intention of doing anything with Mysterious Murasame Castle. Ice Climbers are the obvious counterpoint to this, but they probably would have been a one-off thing had they not gotten popular, and are now being Grandfathered in for the fans.

Unlike Takamaru; Isaac, Geno, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Banjo Kazooie, Shadow and Ken have all seen worldwide releases within their lifespan, and have the potential to please casuals (and will definitely please hardcore Smash fans).

Casual fans aren't just made up of people that only care about contemporary releases and/or who is the best known, they are a wide, varied bunch, just like all people.
When you say it like that it sounds like hardcore fans are harder to please. ^^

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Well the Chorus Kids have been found and the so called conducter's head is a VIllager's net
https://twitter.com/Darkinlp/status/1055222507693838336
btw i like the leak my wishlist besides Wah
...Does this guy not know his months? He very deliberately circled "No more fire emblem characters" and the date on the 4chan post being in September with a red arrow pointing to the August reveal of Chrom like it disproved the leak??

Edit: Look at the rest of the twitter. This is a troll.

Last edited:

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Assuming the leak is real(on the fence about), I’m kind of hoping the DLC for Ultimate is different from sm4sh.
4/7 characters(i think?) in the leak are third party. In the sm4sh DLC, all DLC was either cut veterans, or 3rd parties. Since their aren’t any veterans cut, and we have gotten a lot of 3rd parties...I’m really hoping they focus on the remaining Nintendo characters that haven’t gotten in yet or were too new.

BWD- completes Kirby Roster, is truly adorable, and has an absolutely insane amount of love for him and would have a unique weapon with a spear

Dixie- truly a disservice that she hasn’t been included yet...also completes DK roster, is truly adorable, and(potentially even tho she would probably be an echo) have a fun fighting style with her hair

Elma/Rex/Pyra- one of Nintendo’s newer and amazing franchises. I think Xenoblade deserves 3 reps and I stand by that. Elma being an awesome strong female character with potential for awesome Moveset. And Rex and Pyra being a part of a great game and could also have great unique Movesets

Arms rep- Springman is kinda boring but I’m biased as I think most “main” characters are kind of boring...but it still makes sense for a Nintendo fighting IP to appear in a Nintendo fighting game...or maybe that’s just ME

Pokemon-yeah yeah maybe there’s a lot of them but it truly is a huge game that FOCUSES on tons and tons and tons of characters so makes sense that there would be a lot in the game. RIP incineroar

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Well the Chorus Kids have been found and the so called conducter's head is a VIllager's net
https://twitter.com/Darkinlp/status/1055222507693838336
btw i like the leak my wishlist besides Wah
That's genuinely laughable, literally everything there is wrong. The Chorus Kids are NOTABLY different, that net is not duplicated, characters moving is not an issue, it's already been shown that shadows are getting smaller and less opaque with every new version of the panorama, we've been through the fact the pixelation blurs colors slightly, and the dumbest one of all, he specifically said 'no more Fire Emblem' AFTER the direct, meaning we're not getting anything like Black Knight or Celica (for god's sake 'debunker', use your head).

gloop898

Smash Cadet
Going to quote myself here because I don't have time
All I will say to this is, people are crazy and will go to crazy lengths to accomplish things. If this leak is fake, nothing done here is out of possibility.

Also I have a general question,
do we know for sure this was leaked first on snapchat?
Like do we know for sure that it being on "snapchat" wasn't just part of the ruse?
I don't know, maybe I'm being a bit tin foil hatty. But it's convenient that it was on snapchat, so it can be a video but we never actually see the video.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Well, the thing is, those culturally known characters (i.e. PAC-MAN) are already in the game.

And once they're in the game, where do you go from there? There are only so many well known characters, and most of them are third party (meaning licensing costs). Not to mention that Shadow and Ken are two of the most well known video game characters, after the ones that are already in.

Besides this, not being known to wider audiences isn't really the barrier to entry people seem to think it is; since they could use Smash to make them more well known.

Casual fans aren't just made up of people that only care about contemporary releases and/or who is the best known, they are a wide, varied bunch, just like all people.
Completely agreed. I'm not sure how much of a casual fan I can consider myself now (since I'm on here, like, everyday, but joining a couple months ago was a new experience for me), I have been a casual gamer my entire life. And ever since the possibility occurred to me when Sonic was in Brawl, I felt Banjo's presence missing having been a huge fan of the N64 era but understanding the reasons why it was "impossible". There are other characters I'm only discovering through Smash speculation--like Isaac, for weeks I thought people were referring to the Binding of Isaac. That being said, I haven't played handheld games for the most part. But those that have, whether they're Smash fans or not, would see Isaac or Rhythm Heaven and be like "OMG! I remember playing that!".

Casual =/= recent. Recency's somewhat a factor, but popularity, both from casual fans and hardcore fans, matters a lot.

Untouch

Smash Master
Digging deeper, I haven't seen any connection Universal involving either company, both companies also SEEM to only do work for supermarkets, which is a bit weird.

As Marina seems to only focus on completed products, they probably wouldn't have showcased it yet.
On the Linkedin, Eric is the ONLY employee listed for ACP as well, which is odd. It also says he was the president of Lion's Club... (????) and he still is. I don't really want to dig into this guy's life though, that just stood out to me.
I can't really find anything else about ACP as they're a fairly small company (and search results are flooded with Smash speculation...).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When it comes to the background inconsistencies, I say who cares? It's literally the background. With a minimum of seven character additions, it's already pretty stuffed so you really can't see that much of it anyways. Reasonably, I can see it being simplified for this alone. If there were major character inconsistencies, THAT would be significant. I feel like analyzing the background is pretty nitpicky given there were never any truly notable details to begin with and, either way, they'd more than likely be obscured by the roster anyways, especially with the additions of Mach Rider (and her bike?), Chorus Kids, and Isaac taking up significant space on the ground.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Seems the box for the Switch Bundle (not of box theory infamy) doesnt credit Rare, Camelot, etc.
This box is with retailers and in some people's possession now, isn't it? I don't think we can make the argument here that 'it'll be updated later'. An official box for the game is now direct evidence against this entire thing.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
If the banner was confirmed to be fake, and then where's source for arts of Geno, Banjo Koozie, Shadow, and others that were shown in grinch leak?
The presumption here is that the leaker faked the background itself by painting over it in a way that looks convincing enough when taken in a blurry screenshot but has a whole lot of inconsistencies once you put it under the scope and contrast with the actual background.

It is safe to assume that the person who made this has a degree of artistic talent. People are overthinking the character illustrations. They're most likely completely original and have most of their inconsistencies hidden as well. It wouldn't be too hard since honestly, the mural illustrations aren't that amazing.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And you providing nothing of substance with this post and being openly aggressive is ok?

In terms of the leak, I think what makes this one stick out so much is the lack of a pokemon. Honestly a gen 7 mon always seemed like a lock, but in hindsight it sort of makes sense.

Gen 8 is coming next year, and alola is on the way out. Yes the anime is still going, but with the shift to the switch it is clear alola is going to be not a huge deal to promote.

While at first in the project plan it makes sense for a gen 7 mon, based on the timing I would say a Gen 8 mon would be the most likely thing as DLC.
And to add on to what you said, adding Incineroar as DLC makes even less sense than Gen 7 missing from Ultimate altogether.

The whole reason why so many of us could see Sakurai choosing Incineroar is because we were sure he didn't know who would be popular back then. But if Sakurai decided to hold off on Gen 7 for base roster and add a rep as DLC, then that would make his choice of Incineroar even more puzzling. By mid 2017, not only was it evident that Incineroar wasn't the favorite starter (I presume it was Primarina based off the Pokemon fandom's reception), but Game Freak publicly announced that Gen 8 was in the works.

If Incineroar is in this game, it's base. DLC shouldn't even be an option here.

Assuming the leak is real(on the fence about), I’m kind of hoping the DLC for Ultimate is different from sm4sh.
4/7 characters(i think?) in the leak are third party. In the sm4sh DLC, all DLC was either cut veterans, or 3rd parties. Since their aren’t any veterans cut, and we have gotten a lot of 3rd parties...I’m really hoping they focus on the remaining Nintendo characters that haven’t gotten in yet or were too new.

BWD- completes Kirby Roster, is truly adorable, and has an absolutely insane amount of love for him and would have a unique weapon with a spear

Dixie- truly a disservice that she hasn’t been included yet...also completes DK roster, is truly adorable, and(potentially even tho she would probably be an echo) have a fun fighting style with her hair

Elma/Rex/Pyra- one of Nintendo’s newer and amazing franchises. I think Xenoblade deserves 3 reps and I stand by that. Elma being an awesome strong female character with potential for awesome Moveset. And Rex and Pyra being a part of a great game and could also have great unique Movesets

Arms rep- Springman is kinda boring but I’m biased as I think most “main” characters are kind of boring...but it still makes sense for a Nintendo fighting IP to appear in a Nintendo fighting game...or maybe that’s just ME

Pokemon-yeah yeah maybe there’s a lot of them but it truly is a huge game that FOCUSES on tons and tons and tons of characters so makes sense that there would be a lot in the game. RIP incineroar
That's completely identical to what I want from DLC. I'd also like a new Zelda character (preferably a Champion), but I won't grumble if we don't and get at least two of the characters you mentioned.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
When it comes to the background inconsistencies, I say who cares? It's literally the background. With a minimum of seven character additions, it's already pretty stuffed so you really can't see that much of it anyways. Reasonably, I can see it being simplified for this alone. If there were major character inconsistencies, THAT would be significant. I feel like analyzing the background is pretty nitpicky given there were never any truly notable details to begin with and, either way, they'd more than likely be obscured by the roster anyways, especially with the additions of Mach Rider (and her bike?), Chorus Kids, and Isaac taking up significant space on the ground.
There's literally no need to change it, though; it would be pointlessly creating more work to alter areas that nobody would even see.

D

Deleted member

And you providing nothing of substance with this post and being openly aggressive makes it ok?.
Why don't you mind your business, chief.
In case you're too blind to see, the guy was spamming this **** across multiple pages.
Someone needed to call them out on it.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I feel the leak is false based on the information presented in this video.
Technically, this video contained a lot of information that fit on both sides, ironically enough. Which is balanced. Weird coming from the guy who said if it were real he'd be in a puddle, or some stupid ****. :chuckle:

EDIT:
source for this
please
Who you were replying to was quoting me where I gave the source.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Digging deeper, I haven't seen any connection Universal involving either company, both companies also SEEM to only do work for supermarkets, which is a bit weird.

As Marina seems to only focus on completed products, they probably wouldn't have showcased it yet.
On the Linkedin, Eric is the ONLY employee listed for ACP as well, which is odd. It also says he was the president of Lion's Club... (????) and he still is. I don't really want to dig into this guy's life though, that just stood out to me.
I can't really find anything else about ACP as they're a fairly small company (and search results are flooded with Smash speculation...).
This is fascinating. The named guy is the only listed employee? We’ve confirmed the place exists, so that’s just...odd.

D

Deleted member

Y'all so as far as I can tell there are 4 options that could be happening
1. The first company we thought he worked for was working at was actually working on the banner in Nov. 2016 and this eric dude leaked it then and the video just surfaced. 1% chance of this happening IMO, the company seemed genuinely concerned about their chances of working with Bandai Namco again after this so their is no way they were working with Bamco right now.
2. The real leaker does work at a company that is working with Illumination and Bamco and just quickly looked up an employee from a different company who could potentially have worked on this banner to impersonate them so he doesn't get in trouble.
3. Eric's new company does work with Bamco AND Illumination and he leaked it. Honestly this is the simplest explanation but also one of the more believable ones. The main reason I can think of is why hasn't the company put out a statement because if they aren't working with Bamco they wouldn't be under an NDA. However my main issues are that according to his education years Eric is like 50 as of now, and that seems like way past the age range to leak stuff on Snapchat with mispelled emoji's lmao. Also why does Eric still have a job if this is true
4. We all got played. The fake leaker plays 420d chess. Goku is in.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
It was already shown at yesterday actually. I think everybody watched that.
I didn't. This thread is much more informative. And after Derrick's "It's blurry, so it's probably fake" level of journalism in the first video, I am not particularly impressed with their debunking skills.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The details were probably just a layer anyways so I don't think it's as much work as people imply. The one in the leak is much more simplified which makes me think it was a "base", kind of like what's done with animation cells.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
IF what Mystic said is true and the truth of everything lays somewhere around the middle, I can only make sense of it in like 4 ways:

1. Incineroar and the other missing characters (Which range from like 1-2) are leak bait
2. They’re DLC, couldn’t be finished in time for the base game like MewTwo with Smash 4
3. Chadandorf leak is real, the Grinch leak was a fake mock up for it. Incineroar and the unknown characters are in, but the Chadandorf leaker didn’t know about them for some reason. Still possible DLC.
4. Nintendo sent out incomplete murals for some reason and it got leaked, or the mural is complete but they already have one made for DLC already which is what Mystic may have seen. Or for some reason they have multiple murals made with missing characters, which doesn’t seem unlikely since the mural is updated with every reveal.

One for certain though, I’m sure whoever or whatever is revealed at the VGA is gonna be DLC

gloop898

Smash Cadet
I'm so convinced that Grinch Leak is fake that if it turns out to be real I'll record myself singing "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch" and upload it to youtube.

Flon

Smash Cadet
Yeah, we'll be going through loops until we get additional information from Nintendo to dissect and compare. Or if another leak happens.

It's the ESRB all over again; it was a tiring wait until we could get some official material. Things got quite frantic between the divide as tension grew - it wasn't pleasant.

I think it's easier to not put much hope into the leak and to take a bit of a back seat. Anything that comes out that's relevant to the leak will certainly be spread across all Smash/Nintendo related sites confirming if it is fake or legit. For now, it'll be easier to just go back to what we're used to; waiting for news while staying sceptical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom