• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Getting back to this later than I'd hoped.

Interesting.
How would you change things like Hail and Sandstorm to be different?
Well, my idea for the sandstorm omen was to have it take the form of a dust devil that command grabbed people and hurled them upward, like a summonable version of the Hyrule Castle tornado but with more reasonable knockback.

(If you're wondering, the one that wouldn't be directly based on a weather type would be a bolt of lightning coming down on the spot, sending out a shockwave across the ground on either side that'd damage and stun opponents it touches.)

Also, did you know that Absol is one of a very few non-legendaries to learn every weather summoning move?

D

Deleted member

I agree with all of this as possibilities (the first I agree is very unlikely), and my suspicion is the guy actually might be being impersonated (whether it's fake to give it credibility, or real to shift the blame). That being said, I never understood this argument of him being too old--am I the only one who knows childish, not the brightest 50-year-olds, or the type of people who could be "fed up with this ****" type of guys? Really, only me? :rotfl:

(granted being on SC is different, but we don't know who took the video, and the person who leaked it was likely not the person working on it.)
Yeah now that I think about it it could've been a little disrespectful of me. Sorry to any elderly on Smashboards right now!

ekc

Smash Cadet
If the bundle was set to release Nov. 2 why would they put copyright for characters not announced by then?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Snaps fingers

Nope another invalid argument

Square Enix wasn't on copyright since cloud didn't exist as dlc

And they probably hiding it so we don't know about a Microsoft rep

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
So, what is everyone's predictions if this turns out fake... and yes if you're team real you can answer this too, just curious.

KMDP

Smash Legend
But every character for Ultimate is going to be revealed before release. Kind of a moot point.
But the characters are being revealed after the box has been printed.

Meaning it increases the chances of the information getting out there (seriously, if Camelot and Rare/Microsoft showed up on the box, we'd know that Isaac and Banjo were in).

Ultimately (heh), the companies only have to be credited within the game somewhere (i.e. the actual credits) and putting the names on the box itself is only a courtesy.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
But every character for Ultimate is going to be revealed before release. Kind of a moot point.
Pretty sure the bundle releases like, next week, which is still before release. So they still don’t have to list companies for characters they haven’t revealed yet since it comes out before release, and we don’t know when the rest of the characters are being revealed.

Last edited:

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
But Ness was unlockable in 3DS but a starter on Wii U.
That's the thing, the character wasn't revealed yet, that's why the copyright doesn't appear. Same thing with this bundle: it comes out November 2nd in the USA, so we could assume there will be no direct/reveals before that, hence the lack of additional copyrights. We would have to wait for the final game box to see every copyright listed.

D

Deleted member

Ok, I think I found the solution: The only reason companies like SEGA, Konami, etc. are being credited is because their characters are on the boxart AND/OR you start out with them, in the case of Ness. Banjo won't be either of those, so the copyright for him doesn't need to be on the box. Same with Isaac. :)

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 172260

Surfing around, I found this. Note that Konami IS on the box, but the creator of this image forgot to list them. Microsoft is not present. These are some of those early download code-included Switch bundled boxes.

Would these need to have the final trademark/copyright information on the box in order to be distributed? If so, this completely debunks Steve/Banjo.
Wait, which characters belong to "APE inc." and the name before that (also not listed) "Sihigesatio Doi" or something? And which characters belong to Intelligent System? And why is Capcom on there 2 times?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah now that I think about it it could've been a little disrespectful of me. Sorry to any elderly on Smashboards right now!
I don't think it's disrespectful at all. I think Gamexplain (I think, someone in the biz) used that argument and I was like "Wha?" It does seem fairly weird to our common expectations, though I think it's moot since I feel like he may not have been the leaker (could be tho, this whole thing is crazy enough I'd probably believe anything once this is said and done).

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
Can we just offically stop trying to debunk it and just wait a while until it actually gets confirmed/deconfirmed. Every attempt failed and it's gonna continue failing until something happens.
Isn't that the sole purpose of the whole thread? To discuss stuff? Alright everyone, stop posting and wait.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well, the thing is, those culturally known characters (i.e. PAC-MAN) are already in the game.

And once they're in the game, where do you go from there? There are only so many well known characters, and most of them are third party (meaning licensing costs). Not to mention that Shadow and Ken are two of the most well known video game characters, after the ones that are already in.

Besides this, not being known to wider audiences isn't really the barrier to entry people seem to think it is; since they could use Smash to make them more well known.

Yes, Sakurai decided not to use Takamaru for that exact reason, but maybe that was only one of the reasons? Like, Nintendo probably has no intention of doing anything with Mysterious Murasame Castle. Ice Climbers are the obvious counterpoint to this, but they probably would have been a one-off thing had they not gotten popular, and are now being Grandfathered in for the fans.

Unlike Takamaru; Isaac, Geno, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Banjo Kazooie, Shadow and Ken have all seen worldwide releases within their lifespan, and have the potential to please casuals (and will definitely please hardcore Smash fans).

Casual fans aren't just made up of people that only care about contemporary releases and/or who is the best known, they are a wide, varied bunch, just like all people.
I get what you're trying to argue but Takamaru is a poor example for many reasons; in many ways he is the perfect case study for Nintendo nerds in regards to Smash. Wanted by Sakurai, multiple appearances worldwide (including a pack-in title) within the past decade, Assist Trophy, Mii Costume, Music, but Sakurai still shows hesitation.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
So, what is everyone's predictions if this turns out fake... and yes if you're team real you can answer this too, just curious.
I don't know, Ken is probably the most obvious. I want to say Shadow is going to make it, I can't imagine why he wouldn't but other than that I'm not sure cause I'm still going to be sceptical until the next direct.

Chrono.

I'm leaning towards fake now.

But doesn't this bundle release like next week for everyone? Then yeah it makes sense if certain trademarks weren't there but we'll see.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Wait, which characters belong to "APE inc." and the name before that (also not listed) "Sihigesatio Doi" or something? And which characters belong to Intelligent System? And why is Capcom on there 2 times?
Ryu is owned by Capcom USA, Megaman by Capcom (Japan)

Phobos_Anomaly

Smash Cadet
This is probably a highly unpopular opinion here, but I'm really looking forward to having to unlock all of the fighters from the start of the game. I really enjoy games where you constantly have to unlock stuff, so this is right up my alley. I am extremely pleased that Sakurai has implemented this feature where you'll only start with the original base 8 (or maybe the full 12?) original N64 roster.

I'm very intrigued on how and what conditions will need to be met to unlock basically everybody.

Make us work to get that playable Ridley! :p

D

Deleted member

Isn't that the sole purpose of the whole thread? To discuss stuff? Alright everyone, stop posting and wait.
This thread has just been BOX BOX BOX fighting and ****posting before this leak. Real or fake, this is a good thing for this thread and Smash discussion as a whole

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Now a question for you all: would you be okay with this leak being fake? For me it'd mean Shadow and Mach Rider are back on the ropes (although the former still has a lot going for him) but would reopen the (however small) chances of KOS-MOS, Black Knight, Elma and Black Shadow.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
69 Incineroar
60E Ken
38E Shadow
70 Isaac - that Sprout item is too suspicious
71 Chorus Kids - They were cut from Smash 4, makes sense for them to not waste a moveset
72 Geno

D

Deleted member

TBH, any kid born between 2001( like me) or 2014 can get to recognize some old videogames if the parents buy him games that aren't CoD or FIFA.

That was my case: I was what i could call a "casual" (only played DS games) until i discovered that Megaman (who i knew from the NT Warrior Anime) was in a game called Marvel vs Capcom.

Due to the huge difference between Megaman.EXE and the character that i saw on the MvC Wiki article linked on Wikipedia, i got interested on trying that game to know that Megaman who was apparently the most popular more than i did. I didn't find the game anywhere and i lost hope...

Then he got revealed for Smash 4.

Having seen the trailer, i asked for a 3DS, received it for Christmash, and Miiverse introduced me to many games that i didn't heard about.

Many stuff after, i am here.

Overall: kids today can still get to know retro stuff, but they need to stop buying the same thing.

D

Deleted member

Ape Inc./Itoi: Ness and Lucas
Intelligent Systems: Fire Emblem
Capcom's USA division has the rights to Street Fighter.

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
Ness belongs to Shigesato Itoi / APE, he wasn't revealed/was a secret character in Smash 3DS, so their copyright wasn't listed in the box.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
If I remember correctly from smash 4 speculation, box copyright is very little to go off of, as it gets updated once release arrives.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yea pretty much another hydra decapitation then grows back and two more added

Unlockable character company's excluded to hide the secrets

Proof is Ness is company excluded from 3ds but not Wii u since he's a starter

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
So next week is when we enter "direct is possible" territory huh? And if that week passes with no news, we're in "direct is happening" territory for the week after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom