• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

No one is (or in Inkling's case, was) a shoo-in. I can understand considering a character likely, but no one is (or again in Inkling's case, was) guaranteed.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I have a new prediction roster for you guys to discuss:

Any feedback or opinions on what should be changed?

The only thing I am iffy on is Shovel Knight and Balloon Fighter, but they are risky predictions I chose to make.
I'm bored, i'll give you my opinion, however my opinion usually sucks.

Tom Nook & Isabelle - Um I suppose they could get different movesets from villager if Sakurai really wanted too, I feel like they could also very easily just be an alt for Villager as well. Isabelle was (is?) fairly popular... she got an assist trophy and costume in Smash 4... So I think she's a possibility.. not a huge possibility..

Decidueye - Um seemingly spawned out of the removal of Pokemon Trainer and with the implementation of Charizard and Greninja as 2/3 starter triangle... What was once Sceptiles claim to contention is now Decidueye. He's actually moderately popular and unique... Will he be over taken by Gen 8's grass starter though? Will he lose popularity, should we see a better and newer Grass starter? Is his expected inclusion based in reality or are fans just trying to fill gaps?

Rex - Unless Sakurai has favoritism for this franchise it may be delayed until DLC. Even the Inklings have their Wii U appearance, i'm unsure if we'll see a lot of Switch characters this early, or if at all.

Balloon fighter - Villagers recovery just makes me feel like it won't happen.

Takamaru - Maybe, maybe not. He's pretty good as an assist trophy, I personally find him sorta bland and boring.

Chorus Kid - That Gematsu leak or whatever, I don't play Rhythm Heaven games, zero appeal personally, but its possible. I just would rather many others before this character.

Inkling - confirmed.

Springman - Umm possibly. The Rex factor applies here a bit too but not as much. Might see this character because it was one of the switches earlier games and Nintendo seems to be pushing this game hard.

Doom Guy? - I have no idea who this is, i'm guessing its doom guy. If Doom Guy probably not likely.

Rayman - Ubisoft is clearly pushing for Rayman in smash 4. We have the rabids cross over on switch... IDK... we have yet to get a Western made character... maybe this is the next boundary to be broken. It's one of those things were... you don't know if the roster being only Japanese made characters is a coincidence or purposeful.

Shovel Knight - An indie western character... He has an amiibo but that was more so because of their creator not nintendo. He's popular I think, but I'd rather not. If Rayman get's in... The flood gates really open up to the west... This characters gonna take a far back seat in popularity and demand to the likes of Crash, Spyro, Earthworm Jim, Banjo etc.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Mario is a shoo in. What you mean, fam?
Sakurai: "I've been listening to fan responses to the Smash Brothers roster, and I have heard many complaints about Mario. Alongside that, he's a bit old now, isn't he? [laughs] That's why, for this upcoming version of Super Smash Brothers, I have decided to remove Mario from the roster. I hope this change is well-received by fans all around the world."

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sakurai: "I've been listening to fan responses to the Smash Brothers roster, and I have heard many complaints about Mario. Alongside that, he's a bit old now, isn't he? [laughs] That's why, for this upcoming version of Super Smash Brothers, I have decided to remove Mario from the roster. I hope this change is well-received by fans all around the world."
They'll replace him with Baby Mario who is young and hip.

Btw, I think a pokemon newcomer from Gen 7 is a given at this point. My money is on Decidueye or Mimikyu.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I love it when I see that an ARMS rep is 50/50 because they are considered "New", yet anyone from Xenoblade 2 is an apparent shoo-in. Interesting how that works around here...:rolleyes:
Unless I’m mistaken, no series has more characters in Smash than they have actual games they’ve made.

I.e. There’s been 3 Kid Icarus games and three characters in Smash comes closest. So I doubt arms is getting multiple characters after one mildly successful game.

Xeno on the other hand is on game 3, so more reps isn’t unlikely.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Unless I’m mistaken, no series has more characters in Smash than they have actual games they’ve made.

I.e. There’s been 3 Kid Icarus games and three characters in Smash comes closest. So I doubt arms is getting multiple characters after one mildly successful game.

Xeno on the other hand is on game 3, so more reps isn’t unlikely.
Question - why does the number of games a series has matter?

splat

Smash Lord
As I stated above, with Min Min she'd more so be that "Here's a last minute addition that was easy to implement, and she's popular. Boop. We changed a few moves so she's not exactly the same." She'd be a clone. [...] I also believe Spring Man will have Ribbon Girl alts. That's just me though.
That is the part that I feel that doesn't really make sense. Either Ribbon Girl would be the alt costume that gets bumped up to her own slot near the end of production, or Min Min would be that alt costume. I really doubt costumes will be added that late in development. If both of them would be an alt costume, there'd be more ARMS characters as well (3 characters for 8 palette swaps is awkward) and bumping up only one to an own slot would be really strange.

Given how long Smash Switch may or may not have been in development (4 most, 2 least) the new Xenoblade character could be Elma from X for all we know.
Serious question: why do people seem so sure we will get more than one character from the Xenoblade series?

So some of my buddies posted a survey on reddit and /v/ and this was their results:
https://imgur.com/a/5jxpD?

They got over 1000 responses so i feel this is a good basis for who will get in.
While 1000 responses is a nice sample size, /v/ is still a western board (thus not reflecting Smash' core market), as well as being a fairly biased group: casual smashers would not answer polls like these.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Question - why does the number of games a series has matter?
It doesn't. Viable characters, popularity, reviews, sales and Sakurais blessing counts. Thats why series like Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem get a bunch of characters, and why Xenoblade 2 is extremely likely to get a new character.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Here's my list of who I think will be 1st party newcomers for this game, not including returning cuts:

1. Inklings (confirmed)
2. Spring Man
3. Gen 7 Pokemon (Decidueye, Mimikyu, Lycanroc.... or Bewear :^D)
4. Dixie/K. Rool
5. Lyn. I feel this one needs more explanation because I know people disagree. Lyn was voted the most popular Fire Emblem character over a year ago by fans. The only argument Celica has is "recency", and honestly that game has been our for a while now. We're at this weird middle ground between games, so recency doesn't matter so much imo. Also I think Sakurai may choose to hold off on FE16 characters for fan reception of the game, especially after the Corrin thing.
6. Bandana Dee
7. Ashley
8. Takamaru, considering Sakurai's comments towards him for Smash 4, also his game was localized after Smash 4 came out.
9. Mipha (or potentially a different champion)

Then there's my pipe-dream characters that might get in even though they may not "deserve" it,
Ray 01/Ray Mk III or perhaps a general "Ray" that has the different models as skins
Chibi Robo
Bewear fits here too
Peppy

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
That is the part that I feel that doesn't really make sense. Either Ribbon Girl would be the alt costume that gets bumped up to her own slot near the end of production, or Min Min would be that alt costume. I really doubt costumes will be added that late in development. If both of them would be an alt costume, there'd be more ARMS characters as well (3 characters for 8 palette swaps is awkward) and bumping up only one to an own slot would be really strange.
The only reason I chose to make Min Min her own character is because she was one of the first revealed fighters of ARMS and has some unique aspects to her. Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are BOTH the posterchild characters of their franchise. They fight very, very similar so it'd be easier to just make them alt costumes of each other.

I'm basing this off just what I've seen. Min Min has her dragon arm, and kicks too.

Just my opinion. As someone pointed out to me previous, ARMS isn't as big as Splatoon, so maybe ARMS will get one roster spot, and the Inklings will get a clone in the form of Octolings. We'll see.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Springman shouldn’t get a ribbon girl alt in my opinion. Ribbon Girl’s too different.

A Springtron Alt makes perfect sense.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
While 1000 responses is a nice sample size, /v/ is still a western board (thus not reflecting Smash' core market), as well as being a fairly biased group: casual smashers would not answer polls like these.
I feel like people that take these polls vote on trends that Sakurai has had. For example, Mario, Pokemon and FE get new reps for their newest games. We get 1-2 classic retro characters. 2-3 reps from newer titles or series. 2-3 third party reps. And reps from series that Sakurai likes or keeps tweeting about. Remember how Sakurai tweeted a pic of the monado during Smash 4's development, and we got Shulk? Or figures of Dark Pit in his office. Now hes posting pics of mechs, which would give evidence to a new xenoblade character...or Custom Robo perhaps....or Giant Labo robot?? Either way people like being analytical and voting based on that.

Springman shouldn’t get a ribbon girl alt in my opinion. Ribbon Girl’s too different.

A Springtron Alt makes perfect sense.
While the lazy route would be to include Springman and Ribbon Girl as alts of each other, something tells me we might just get both of them as their own character with slight modifications. Characters like Corrin, Robbin, Villager, Miis, etc are either avatars or different versions of the same character, whereas Spingman and Ribbon Girl are two entirely different characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
While the lazy route would be to include Springman and Ribbon Girl as alts of each other, something tells me we might just get both of them as their own character with slight modifications. Characters like Corrin, Robbin, Villager, Miis, etc are either avatars or different versions of the same character, whereas Spingman and Ribbon Girl are two entirely different characters.
That is a good point.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Chorus Kids: After several /many/ alll 'A' moves if 'A' is pressed again then the Chorus kids will attack a second time.

If 'A' is pressed again after the second time, Chorus Kids will attack a third time.

Last edited:

FanCWaiter

Smash Rookie
Doubt it. She's what makes Rosalina unique as a character and is essentially the reason Rosalina is on the roster at all.

That's like making Cream and Cheese playable in a Sonic game... except it's just Cheese.
I would be willing to kill Rosalina for just luma. Same power, smaller hit box. More fair

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I would be willing to kill Rosalina for just luma. Same power, smaller hit box. More fair
I wouldn't. People can hate on the design all they want, but I personally think she has a great design as is, and don't want it to go just because of the salt it induces.

FanCWaiter

Smash Rookie
Give Luma a bandana and we have ourselves a deal.

:troll:
So true

I have heard so many people complain about Luma’s meat shield qualities and how she does not take out stock. If she is a separate character then no complaints

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I have heard so many people complain about Luma’s meat shield qualities and how she does not take out stock. If she is a separate character then no complaints
No complaints about being a meat shield, but plenty of complaints about a little side character becoming it's own character for a very stupid reason.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
And thus you take an interesting character and make it boring and unoriginal. No deal.
Luma is barely a character and more of a tool anyways so it is something that does not seem to warrant going solo as a fighter. Why not make Link's Shield, Olimar's Pikmins and Cloud's Buster Sword go solo while we are at it?

FanCWaiter

Smash Rookie
And thus you take an interesting character and make it boring and unoriginal. No deal.
Luma is barely a character and more of a tool anyways so it is something that does not seem to warrant going solo as a fighter. Why not make Link's Shield, Olimar's Pikmins and Cloud's Buster Sword go solo while we are at it?
Swords and shields are not amazing entities like Luma. Although having pikmins like Pokémon in Melee would be interesting

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So whats the consensus on the leaker whos saying Ridley will be in the game? I guess he called TMNTs getting into Injustice 2, and guessed the exact DLC characters for DBZ. So he clearly knows someone in the industry. I''m about 60/40 on believing him at the moment. Supposedly other sites are hinting at his inclusion as well.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
My apologies for the short break, the past few days were busy. I'll resume to where I was last off.

Anyways, Lilina was the winner of the first Fire Emblem Binding Blade poll. Not enough people were interested in Marcus, Rutger, and Lance. Though Rutger was ahead of the other two.

Moving on, the next few selections are half of the more important villains of Roy's story. Your choices are Zephiel, Narcian, Fae, and Sophia.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So whats the consensus on the leaker whos saying Ridley will be in the game? I guess he called TMNTs getting into Injustice 2, and guessed the exact DLC characters for DBZ. So he clearly knows someone in the industry. I''m about 60/40 on believing him at the moment. Supposedly other sites are hinting at his inclusion as well.
Worthwhile to keep it in mind, even more worthwhile to take everything with a grain of salt.

D

Deleted member

The Nindies event in Tuesday think we'll see Obolets, Tunic, Shovel Knight: King of Cards. Not sure of any indie characters for Smash though!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Watch Rosalina Storytime.
You're allowed to like Luma, but like... It's a generic race from a recent but small corner of Mario history... You're asking to remove it from the most significant part of that small corner, too. Making Luma its own character is just insanely unrealistic/unreasonable beyond "I like Luma"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Smash isn't going to be at the Nindie event. It monopolizes the spotlight even when in a normal Direct, they're not going to subject low-profile indies to the attention vacuum that is Smash. :/

I do hope we get Tunic at the event though, that game looks beautiful~

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I mean. I'll admit I do like Lumas as a species. They are cute. I played as them in mario tennis open. But I wouldn't want them as a smash character and especially if it was to get rid of Rosalina. I like Rosalina way more, and she's interesting as a puppeteer character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom