• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminario

Smash Lord
The Nindies event in Tuesday think we'll see Obolets, Tunic, Shovel Knight: King of Cards. Not sure of any indie characters for Smash though!
There's also the Switch physical release for Shantae Half Genie Hero, alongside the Pirate's Curse port. I don't think it's the best time for any Smash news though, these Nindies need their spotlight.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Smash isn't going to be at the Nindie event. It monopolizes the spotlight even when in a normal Direct, they're not going to subject low-profile indies to the attention vacuum that is Smash. :/

I do hope we get Tunic at the event though, that game looks beautiful~
I dunno about that necessarily. People are craving information now and Nintendo has such limited time before the game releases. I get that it would draw attention from the focus of the Direct, but I can't say it's impossible Nintendo takes this opportunity to at least tease a little something. I went through and looked to see how many Direct opportunities come before the game's latest possible release, and we're really only looking at E3 + maybe 2 Directs. While I'm not necessarily expecting something at the Nindies Showcase, but I also think it's possible they take every opportunity they have leading up to release day.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I dunno about that necessarily. People are craving information now and Nintendo has such limited time before the game releases. I get that it would draw attention from the focus of the Direct, but I can't say it's impossible Nintendo takes this opportunity to at least tease a little something. I went through and looked to see how many Direct opportunities come before the game's latest possible release, and we're really only looking at E3 + maybe 2 Directs. While I'm not necessarily expecting something at the Nindies Showcase, I also think it's possible they take every opportunity they have leading up to release day.
Well alright, good luck. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As I said in that post, I'm not expecting anything. Just saying not to rule out the possibility.
I'm going to rule it out, you needn't do the same. To me Smash is opposite of what Nintendo is trying to achieve with the Nindies directs.

Should I be wrong, I'll be very happy. ;)

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Why are you contradicting your own point?

Getting some very mixed messages here
They never really said all Lumas have personality. They could've easily meant that if you had read the Rosalina storybook thing that there was at least one Luma that wasn't generic, which someone said outright, and they agreed with.

FanCWaiter

Smash Rookie
Why are you contradicting your own point?

Getting some very mixed messages here
Sorry googled some stats. Changed my mind. But I wasn’t contradicting myself. I just agreed with the fact that most lumas are generic. Can’t argue with that

They never really said all Lumas have personality. They could've easily meant that if you had read the Rosalina storybook thing that there was at least one Luma that wasn't generic, which someone said outright, and they agreed with.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The only Luma with any form of character is Polari.
And yet still, the moment you mentioned that Luma I was like "Polari who?" That much character it has.

Also, getting rid of the Rosaluma combo because there are people unwilling to get better at the matchup is a terrible reason to downgrade a character that drastically.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
84 days, 15 hours, 22 minutes until E3 begins.

We can do it people.

We can make it until New Smash's full reveal.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Took three mods passing through the thread before the posts were merged.

Someone hasn't had their coffee today. :p

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Question - why does the number of games a series has matter?
Because it’s tied to representation a little (whether people like it or not). By that I mean that series like Mario/DK/Yoshi/Wario, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc have tons of games that are very popular, so it makes sense when those series get lots of reps.

Something like Ice Climbers or Arms, that have one game that was moderately successful, it doesn’t really make sense to pull multiple characters from it.

I mean, it only makes sense. More games means more recognition and more characters to pull from. Smash is about celebrating Nintendo/gaming, so representation is a thing that they consider.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So if the game comes out by November, that gives us around 40 weeks to reveal characters. If Smash 4 had 58 characters, I imagine this games roster will be 70-75 in size. We officially have Inklings, Mario and Link revealed. So this means we should start getting 2 reveals per week til release.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Okay so there's 3 Lumas.

There's more actual character Toads for goodness sake.

Captain Toad
Toadette
Toadsworth
That Blue Toad with glasses
By Blue Toad with glasses do you mean Toadbert form the Mario and Luigi games or Hint Toad from the Toad Brigade?

EDIT: Or even Russ T. from Paper Mario?

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Is there any niches in gaming left that can be fulfilled with a rep?

Example;
Duck Hunt; Light Gun
Pac-Man: Arcade
Ryu: Fighting genre
etc, etc.

splat

Smash Lord
I feel like people that take these polls vote on trends that Sakurai has had. For example, Mario, Pokemon and FE get new reps for their newest games. We get 1-2 classic retro characters. 2-3 reps from newer titles or series. 2-3 third party reps.
Not aimed at you per se, but these trends tend to be made up by the fans and have little basis in what gets added.

Let's take a look at the Mario series representation:
64: +2 = 2
Melee: +3 = 5
Brawl: +0,-1 = 4
Smash 4: +3 = 7

The series is so capricious it isn't even funny.
Even if we'd look at reps from new games as you suggested, it doesn't stack up. The Melee additions were not from the newest games (well, they were - but not in the way you seem to mean). In Brawl, we could've gotten new characters from Sunshine: Bowser Jr., Shadow Mario or even Toadsworth - but we didn't. Only Rosalina and Luma was fairly new when they were included: but even they lagged almost two main series games behind.

Or Pokémon:
64: +2 = 2
Melee: +2 = 4
Brawl: +4,-2 = 6
Smash 4 (projected): 8
Smash 4: +1,-2 = 5 (6 after DLC)

Well, this pattern of +2 netto per game was broken. Granted, Pokémon does tend to include at least one character from the latest games (though even more from older games).

Or Fire Emblem:
Melee: +2 = 2
Brawl: +1,-1 = 2
Smash 4 (projected): 2
Smash 4: +2 = 4 (6 after DLC)

Again, pattern of 2 total was broken. We only have two points of data between games, yet the entire boards seem certain we'll see a character removed in order to promote a new game - which fits only one of these.

During Smash 4's development, people were certain we'd get a fourth Star Fox rep (Fox in 64, Falco in Melee, Wolf in Brawl, so surely we'd get Krystal in Smash 4) - yet a character was removed from the roster instead.

If there's anything we should be looking at, it's things we don't really expect: things that break these trends. Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Duck Hunt, Rosalina & Luma and Mii Fighters (Miis were expected, but three movesets?) are good indications of this in Smash 4. Or Zero Suit Samus, Pokémon Trainer and ROB in Brawl. Or Zelda/Sheik, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch and even our favorite masochist Pichu in Melee. Many of these aren't considered the WTF character, but do make you go 'huh, hadn't thought of that'.

Were they expected? No. Does their inclusion make sense? In a way, yes.

The rosters many of us make are - simply put - just too safe, based on these imaginary trends. Rather than listing the characters we feel are from series that would logically make sense to get a new rep, we should approach new characters by looking at what new thing they would do. Characters like the Toy-con Robo and Tibby feel very 'Sakurai' to me, while I feel many of my personal favorites (Dixie, Captain Toad, Waddle Dee) will not make it for this reason: because these guys are usually from familiar series, they just don't have that 'new' groove that Smash newcomers these days seem to need.

I feel like this is also the reason why we saw so much third party characters as DLC - and I'm 'afraid' this will only continue in the Smash 4 character selection process.

(And when it comes to choosing our third party characters, we tend to look at what is popular here rather than looking at Japan. We don't even have threads for Jibanyan and Slime!)

/rant

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Man, I almost wish they didn't reveal Smash at the Direct, now the wait until E3 is gonna be almost unbearable lmao.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I want there to be a game mode in which the player has three stocks, but for each stock lost they change to a different character on their team, much like Dragon Ball Fighter Z. Just a thought. It would be a game mode, like time or stock.

Edit: Anybody think Chibi-Robo is a possible character?

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If Super Smash Bros Switch had 2 stages for almost every universe like Melee.

Super Mario
  • New Donk City
  • Bowser Land
  • Mario Galaxy
  • Mario Circuit
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Prism Island
  • Super Mario Land 2
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Dr. Mario
The Legend of Zelda
  • Temple of Time
  • Windfall Island
Donkey Kong
  • Mangrove Cove
  • Windmill Hills
  • 75m
F-Zero
  • Mute City
  • Big Blue
EarthBound/Mother
  • Magicant
  • Saturn Valley
Yoshi
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Yoshi's Cookie
  • Yoshi 2018
Kirby
  • Fine Feilds
  • Resolution Road
Star Fox
  • Corneria
  • Titania
Fire Emblem
  • Coliseum
Game & Watch
  • Game & Watch Gallery
Kid Icarus
  • Overworld
  • Underworld
Wario
  • WarioWare Inc.
  • Wario's Castle
Pikmin
  • Valley of Repose
  • Twilight River
Animal Crossing
  • Town & City
  • Tortimer Island
Wii Fit
  • Wii Fit Studio
Punch-Out!!
  • Boxing Ring
Splatoon
  • Urchin Underpass
Rhythm Heaven
  • Rhythm Heaven
Puzzle League/Panel De Pon
  • Popples
Famicom
  • Gyromite
  • Excitebike Stadium
  • Icicle Mountain
  • Pinball
  • Balloon Fight
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Duck Hunt Feilds
  • Murasame Castle
  • Famicom Detective Club
Sonic The Hedgehog
  • City Heights
  • Studiopolis
Mega Man
  • Wily Castle
Pac-Man
  • Namco Museum
Street Fighter
  • Suzaku Castle
Final Fantasy
  • Midgar
  • Gold Saucer
Bayonetta
  • Umbra Clock Tower
  • Fimbulventr
Bomberman
  • Bomberman HQ
Castlevania
  • Dracula's Castle

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Diskun for the Famicom disc system
I just started reading a wiki page about him after you replied that, tell me something, how much do you think this is worth?

"Nintendo once held a Famicom Grand Prix: F-1 Race contest in which the players with the highest scores would receive a Super Mario Bros.Game & Watch game in a Diskun shaped container."

I want it.

Is there a support thread for this character? If so is there a proposed moveset? I'd be interested to see what people came up with.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I want there to be a game mode in which the player has three stocks, but for each stock lost they change to a different character on their team, much like Dragon Ball Fighter Z. Just a thought. It would be a game mode, like time or stock.

Edit: Anybody think Chibi-Robo is a possible character?
I remember something like that being in Smash Tour but not something you could do in regular VS play for some inane reason. Pray they make it its own mode this time.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Man, I almost wish they didn't reveal Smash at the Direct, now the wait until E3 is gonna be almost unbearable lmao.
It's only a few months away.

It's not like when SSB4 was first announced and we waited 2 years before seeing a trailer.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
On wanting Luma as a character:

I mean, I’m down for it if it’s like Servbot in Marvel Vs Capcom 2. A joke character that shouldn’t be expected to win that you only play as because of skill gaps.

This also should take no dev time as it’s literally just taking the one from rosalina. maybe you add a B and a B down. But you probably don’t add a B, you just ditch the puppet recall mechanic.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
On wanting Luma as a character:

I mean, I’m down for it if it’s like Servbot in Marvel Vs Capcom 2. A joke character that shouldn’t be expected to win that you only play as because of skill gaps.

This also should take no dev time as it’s literally just taking the one from rosalina.
So Pichu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom