• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
She saw some ****.

''Wait. Is that bird friends with a bear?"
''Wait. We can get run over by another motorcycle? I think I'm out."
''Yeah. I just put people to sleep man. I can't handle a wooden doll that's actually a star. I quit."
Honestly, Puff was the Little Mac of the Smash 64. You have heroes, adventurers, bounty hunters, mercenaries and then... her.

She's like that one character who got into Smash by accident and now just trying to stay alive.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
wait a minute, a post explained this
Yah, it was about 100 pages ago, I think...

If I recall, it was about low-quality image capture prioritizing contrast, and the whiter white being enhanced. Something about pixels being mixed together to compensate for the lack of them.

I'm butchering it, but it was along those lines.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly, Puff was the Little Mac of the Smash 64. You have heroes, adventurers, bounty hunters, mercenaries and then... her.

She's like that one character who got into Smash by accident and now just trying to stay alive.
I see you Jigglypuff and raise you Isabelle.

She probably showed up to the battle happy to see her Mayor and quickly realized there would be sheer chaos and just wanted to go home.

She and Jigglypuff are probably good friends in this regard.

Tyrathius

Smash Cadet
Have y'all still not figured it out yet?

It's a Psynergy item you can use, and it can contain a number of psynergy spells, including Growth. The spell it will cast when you use it is displayed inside the bubble. That's why it's inside a bubble.

Here's Growth's icon from Golden Sun (it's tiny; zoom in) https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net.../Growth.gif/revision/latest?cb=20080224082350
You're not the first to suggest this. But I don't think it's likely (it containing alternate spells, not it being a Growth spell) because the item was visible onscreen for a decent amount of time in the video and never changed. If it does cycle, it's really slow.

Last edited:

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
You're not the first to suggest this. But I don't think it's likely (it containing alternate spells, not it being a Growth spell) because the item was visible onscreen for a decent amount of time in the video and never changed. If it does cycle, it's really slow.
Why do you think it needs to cycle? It's just a growth spell. The game could have spawned a different psynergy instead, but by RNG it spawned a growth.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I see you Jigglypuff and raise you Isabelle.

She probably showed up to the battle happy to see her Mayor and quickly realized there would be sheer chaos and just wanted to go home.

She and Jigglypuff are probably good friends in this regard.
I was going to say Little Mac, but he probably likes getting to beaten up by fight with Ryu.

Tyrathius

Smash Cadet
Why do you think it needs to cycle? It's just a growth spell. The game could have spawned a different psynergy instead, but by RNG it spawned a growth.
I'm not sure what the point of putting different spells in the same bubble if they didn't cycle would be. At that point, they may as well be separate items.

beans

Smash Lord
Yah, it was about 100 pages ago, I think...

If I recall, it was about low-quality image capture prioritizing contrast, and the whiter white being enhanced. Something about pixels being mixed together to compensate for the lack of them.

I'm butchering it, but it was along those lines.
Shame that it was posted in rush hour, it is something to keep on mind while arguing about the quality of the image

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Could be that it spawns as a randomized spell and stays that way. Like a Pokeball you know the contents of. That would be pretty cool, and no item does that, far as I know.

Edit: Ninja'd. Though that's pretty easy here...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wanna know the secrets that the mural holds
And unleash the mighty lies that it brings

I'm the great Serebii, i should know what to trust
Dear Nintendo tell me everything.

T O D E B U N K E V E R Y T H I N G
Y O U M U S T S C R A P E V E R Y T H I N G

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
I have read the last pages and I think that incineroar and others are insider bait or day 1 dlc like others have said too.

Anyway i find it fun to aee insiders perplexed and be on the same ground game than us :)

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Shame that it was posted in rush hour, it is something to keep on mind while arguing about the quality of the image
Ikr? Maybe we should be copying the stuff that's particularly informative. I mean, that would make sense.

It might just be the thread is moving too fast to even stop for that long...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If mural leak is real? I'm excited for Banjo, Geno, and Isaac, but if I'm being honest?

I'm really interested to see what Sakurai would do with Mach Rider and Chorus Kids.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure what the point of putting different spells in the same bubble if they didn't cycle would be. At that point, they may as well be separate items.
It's one item--a psynergy item. It is displayed as a psynergy spell inside a bubble. There are multiple types of psynergy spells it can be, and you'll see what it is inside the bubble. If you see a little picture in a bubble, you know it's a psynergy spell you can use.

Why do you think each spell needs to be a separate item?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm guessing the leak's still alive but there's nothing new going on with it os we're focusing on the item.

If anything has happened, let me know.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I really don't think it's a Mario beanstalk, everything from Mario has a very clear identity and aesthetic that's usually translated very clearly into Smash, if it was a Mario item I don't think we'd be in doubt about it. The bubble part of it is also very weird if we try and frame it as the beanstalk, it reminds me more of how items are held inside bubbles in Kirby Squeak Squad than anything else (alas, it doesn't fit anything from that game either). Also, I'm pretty sure that when beanstalks don't come from boxes, they tend to be put into the ground as seeds.

I have absolutely no idea if it's from Golden Sun or something else mind you, but I'm quite confident it's not a Mario item.

Last edited:

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Smashboards tells the story,
Of a sociopath leaker.

Trust your eyes!
Smashboards never lies!
I'm just a Loz.
I'm nobody's leaker.
Nobody's leaker, you say?
I wanna know the secrets that the mural holds
And unleash the mighty lies that it brings

I'm the great Serebii, i should know what to trust
Dear Nintendo tell me everything.

T O D E B U N K E V E R Y T H I N G
Y O U M U S T S C R A P E V E R Y T H I N G
Keep the references coming, it's the only way to channel enough energy for our buddy Dix to finally show up in Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But isn't Isaac needless when this item is in?
It would actually cover the elements that Isaac probably wouldn't, Earth, Wind & Fire Water, Wind and Fire.

That said, I think it's unlikely. It'd be a fair amount of work for an item that isn't a Poke ball or AT.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Melinda is the most creative fighter until now, actually. Reason is you could imagine hardly that this character would join a character rooster of a fighting game. Which move set could someone like Melinda have? That is what Smash Bros. is to me and makes itself unique and alot better than SF or Tekken (Mortal Kombat is a homage to this fighting games) Captain Falcon had only fighting skills in his background story, but the franchise from him has nothing to do with fighting only racing. Which move set could have a pilot from a racing game? Same counting for characters like Mach Rider.
Or play as Peach who is rarely in a contest by her own. Next in the line of SmashBros-like fighters is Ridley because he is always the enemy and enemies are rarely played in their own game, usually they fought by the PC, the hero character.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
A paper mario item... in full 3D, completely removing the personality of paper mario...seems legit
I'm not even particularly invested on the idea of it being Floro-Sprout, I'm just throwing out a possibility, nothing more. But maybe Sakurai likes the concept of possessing opponents rather than the source material...

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
I think that the only thing most of us agree at this moment is that leak will get into the gaming history just like ESRB did.

If it's true: a whole lot of insiders just got their trust destroyed
If it's fake: this will set a new precedent on how everything can be faked.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Forgot to mention a couple posts of mine ago how just playing out the cutscene(s) for Geno and Banjo-Kazooie in my head was enough to make me cry. If it actually happens, my vision is definitely getting blurred with tears. **** me, that'd be so joyful.

Any new art made of the Grinch or Chadondorf?

D

Deleted member

Nintendo:Lookie here!
Lookie here!
Look what i've got!
Don't think i won't let little Grinch get debuked!

Smashboards:Hold it now!
Hold it now!
Hold it, Hold it right there!
You wouldn't debunk, couldn't debunk!
You wouldn't dare!

Nintendo:I'm a reasonable company, closer of fan games!
I'll tell you what, we'll trade like a Ballot!
Seal the deal is a steal!
Grinch for DaVergeben, DaVergeben for Grinch!

Grinch: Don't do it! Don't do it! He'll ruin us i swear!

Nintendo: I guarantee as you see that there's no pity for Grinch!

Sentinels: No bluffing! No bluffing! No bluffing!

Smashboards: Wait a sec! What the heck? Let us make a treat! Give me back my little leak and we'll end this dumb debate!

Nintendo: Grinch for DaVergeben, DaVergeben for Grinch! I'll count up to ten to see the debunk! And one!

Sentinels: A one! A one! *Neutralize*

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
So I'm pretty confident that the new item is a Golden Sun one, not 100% but really it seems accurate enough to me so I'm fairly confident at least Isaac is in. Honestly I'm still standing by the lack of an ACP statement, something I haven't seen too many people talk about right now, and I genuinely believe today is do or die for our leak. We know this leak is serious enough to warrant a statement, which means we can reasonably predict how anyone not under NDA will react and can thus assert that the only reason ACP would not come forward with a statement, especially after Marina's statement left them as the only printing company implicated, is if a statement would do more harm than good. We can nitpick tiny specks of background art on the banner and whether this tiny plant is a leak saviour or not all we want but I'm becoming more and more Team Real by the day and if there's no statement by the end of today then ACP are either oblivious (unlikely since Marina weren't), negligent (why would Nintendo hire someone they hadn't vetted to be vigilant) or they're under NDA.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I think that the only thing most of us agree at this moment is that leak will get into the gaming history just like ESRB did.

If it's true: a whole lot of insiders just got their trust destroyed
If it's fake: this will set a new precedent on how everything can be faked.
Yep - either way, people are going to become a lot less trusting.

If true, fans will be less trusting of insiders who, in turn, will be less trusting of their sources. People in general will also put less trust in Sakurai's words, given his statement about not expecting too many newcomers.

If fake, people will be a lot less trusting of fake leaks, given that this one set the bar much higher with its background research.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
If mural leak is real? I'm excited for Banjo, Geno, and Isaac, but if I'm being honest?

I'm really interested to see what Sakurai would do with Mach Rider and Chorus Kids.

This is something important to note with the unique characters choices.

its 3 huge smash ballot fan choices all of which could have really interesting mechanics
and 2 characters that sakurai has expressed wanting to put in but also probably have really interesting mechanics.

the choices feel very "right" for who skaurai could pick for smash imo.

also fits the rathalos "hint" at isaac, the karate joe DK watching tv pose "hint", sakurai buying the vifam robot figure to use the gun to model a character... theres just a lot going for this even if I step back from all the recent evidence because of where the leaks coming from and what ive heard etc...

the actual character choices themselves just "fit" very well imo.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
Here's a question while Golden Sun is on the topic (and for people who think Isaac is in/likely). There were rumors that Isaac was going to be revealed in the direct back in September, but his reveal was removed due to the Earthquake. Sakurai has said that they had to change things to be mindful of the re-done direct, Do you think Isaac was going to be planned for a reveal in the direct, maybe as the headliner with Isabelle as the closer, and they just decided to delay his reveal? Or was that pure coincidence? (The main blow to this theory is Cities: Skylines was in the direct and it has a disaster DLC, but I'm not sure if that's in the Switch version or would be in the Japanese direct).

On a side note relating to the plant, I've seen people say it might be Leech Seed, but it would seem odd to make a Pokemon move a thing when they could just make (the move) a Pokeball mon. Or add the effect to Ivysaur if they really liked it.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
When I saw the new item, my initial reaction was that it's a Pikmin sprout, and was hoping that maybe you could pluck Rock Pikmin. Haven't played Golden Sun, hahaha. Glad Isaac's confirmed, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom