• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It might be bcause Sakurai wanted more women on the roster.
Yep, that's why we got Isabelle over Tom Nook.

Joking aside, I just noticed Corrin is STILL the newest fighter on the roster from your signature. Crazy.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Yea the bubble is what's stopping me in my tracks.

Anyone got an idea for how it can be GS AND have that bubble?
Items in smash spawn from the sky, right?
It would be weird and not much aestethic seeing a leaf floating from sky to earth. With a bubble around is much better.
I think.

But with this I'm not saying that is growth from GS, but just that this seems to me a possible (still likely wrong haha) explanation

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd think out of ALL the characters to clone outside of their franchise, Captain Falcon would be the LAST one in consideration after that whole Ganondorf fiasco...
I mean, after Smash For "fiasco", a Fire Emblem character should have been the last character having en echo from their own franchise, but here we are.

D

Deleted member

Or just....it was someone he said he wanted back before Melee and decided "why the **** not?" now, almost two decades later.

I mean, this game's supposed to be a ****fest for (almost) everyone's desires, right? Wouldn't that include Sakurai himself?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I'd think out of ALL the characters to clone outside of their franchise, Captain Falcon would be the LAST one in consideration after that whole Ganondorf fiasco...
I agree. Clearly Mach Rider will be a Yoshi clone.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I think a point that has gone unmentioned a lot is that, as far as I can tell, the castle in the background is plainly visible in multiple iterations of the background. You see see it behind Zelda. Now, let's say a leaker faked this by taking existing mural art - how would he even miss it?

I'm not saying this does anything one way or the other since this is purely speculative, but it'd be a huge mistake to miss existing material and not even attempt to fake what we don't see.
I will say from experience as someone who's obsessive over details when I'm creating things: it's possible to miss things, even when you're obsessed and nitpicking.

For our Youtube series, I edit and animate using an old cartoon (Gundam Wing) and have to alter eyes, mouths, screen positions, backgrounds, movement, etc. to match our script. Even after I watch the same segment a thousand times, every now and then, when I send it to my co-director to look at, he spots something that should have been painfully obvious but I had just missed it every time. Some examples:

1) In one episode, when I edited a doorway behind Une's head to show that she was leaving the room, I drew the door opening the opposite way as in every other shot, including the very next one when when she walks out of it.

2) In another episode, Wing Gundam destroys a mobile suit with his shield, and in his opposite hand, he has a turned off beam saber, not his buster rifle. The very next shot, he's holding his buster rifle. Later in the episode, we come back, and he's holding the beam saber again.

3) The one that kills me is I missed a frame where I inserted a poster on the wall for a running joke. On the first frame, there is no poster. On the second frame, the poster suddenly pops into existence. Neither of us saw it and it's in the final published video.

There was also a time when I made a web banner, a front page hero title and printed posters for a sale at our store... and I misspelled "couch" as "coach" on one part. And they always give me **** for it because I'm the one with this thing on my desk:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If they went that route, and if the leak is real, we'd have Daisy, Dark Samus (?), Isabelle, Mach Rider and Kazooie (4.5) female representatives, 5.5 if you count Inkling (some don't include them, as they have a gender swap option but female Inkling is the spotlight character of them). :upsidedown: As was said, it's speculation, but this is a speculation thread and I'd be down for that.

EDIT: Corrected numbers because I can't math

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Items in smash spawn from the sky, right?
It would be weird and not much aestethic seeing a leaf floating from sky to earth. With a bubble around is much better.
I think.

But with this I'm not saying that is growth from GS, but just that this seems to me a possible (still likely wrong haha) explanation
Super Mario Bros 3 disagrees with you :troll:
anyway, I think a sprout falling from the sky vertically is awkward in any case, with or without a bubble. Even the bubble makes me think of something floaty and light, having it fall like a capsule just doesn't look right. We don't even know if that's the case though, the item is already placed in the video.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
You say that, but we have four Marths now, lol.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sorry to distract from the Mach Rider discussion, but I made this comic and I wanted to get some thoughts on it.

old timers.png

So? What did ya think? Anything I could do better?

Last edited:

Xiaolinspiration

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4926-8462-7301
TIN FOIL HAT (and story) TIME: thinking about that banner leak made me think of something.

what if it was ME, that found that banner art? what would I do?

surely, if anyone knew I was responsible for the leak, I would be canned from my job (and probably worse). but I would want people to KNOW it was real, so how could I do that without getting in trouble myself? the answer: a SCAPE GOAT.

now of course, I can't have someone I currently work with be the scape goat... that'd be too dangerous, if an investigation came around, it would be limited to the people who currently work with me and myself included, id be in my own blast radius. but what if it was someone who DID work in the same place but at a different time? someone who I still knew the full name to, who had no interest in smash bros, who didn't know me specifically, and who hadn't worked with me in two years?

perfect. make a fake account, post the video, and observe the chaos. there will be people who think its fake due to the man being absent from the company for so long, thus making the leak seem pretty shady, (not preferable) but at least no damage is done to me, and the info is now floating freely, with the culprit (me) getting a clean get-away...:evil:

but i'll get some plastic surgery just in case.
Seems legit, although I missed those random reveals of the Smash 4 days.

cothero

Smash Lord
If Chorus Kids are in, i think they're probably gonna be called "Rhythm Heaven", just like the Duck Hunt trio (dog, duck and shooter) are simply called "Duck Hunt" in smash.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You say that, but we have four Marths now, lol.
Technically two Marths and two of Marth's second cousins. Roy plays a lot different from Marth in Smash 4.

But I'm nitpicking. It's a good joke.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sorry to distract from the Mach Rider discussion, but I made this comic and I wanted to get some thoughts on it.

Overall, it's hilarious.

Minor nitpick: Maybe in the last panel you can make Mr. Game & Watch and PAC-MAN look at each other, like "do you have any idea what they are talking about?"

grizby2

Smash Lord
I got a gut feeling Mach Rider might be an clone or play similar to Captain Falcon. Something about him or her gives me that vibe...
I like to imagine that if mach rider or exitebike where actually in the game, they would perpetually be riding a motorcycle during combat. sort of like bowser junior, but with a ton of VROOOM VROOOOM!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Chorus Kids are in, i think they're probably gonna be called "Rhythm Heaven", just like the Duck Hunt trio (dog, duck and shooter) are simply called "Duck Hunt" in smash.
Odd point is that in the UK, they're called Duck Hunt Duo, which is misleading since it's actually a trio.

Though in this case, the characters don't have straight names like the Chorus Kids do.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Mach Rider is just a full version of the Wario's side special, the Wario Bike.
Let's face the facts.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
If Mach Rider is in, they better have the death explosion effect somewhere.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Aren't they referred to as Duck Hunt Duo overseas? Because I much prefer that name, honestly. I do think you're right--given the precedent, Rhythm Heaven would be a likely moniker.

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice
KwLB9An.png

could some one compare this background with this?
leak.png

im still waiting for some one to cmpare them both , my pc is very laggy... so ya..

no one has tried to do it yet.....

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Overall, it's hilarious.

Minor nitpick: Maybe in the last panel you can make Mr. Game & Watch and PAC-MAN look at each other, like "do you have any idea what they are talking about?"
Thank you!

That ending was originally in the comic, but I felt the image was too big. Maybe I should of kept it though.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Assuming that the leak is true (I don't think it is, but let's assume it is), if the Chorus Kids are there with the conductor, then they would probably be called Glee Club, as the name of their minigame.
Rhythm Heaven wouldn't make much sense unless the character is a mix of cameos of different characters all together in one single moveset.
Also, Rhythme Heaven is an actual location in the series.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Ironically some of those terms are kinda dated as well...

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Idk if this has been said yet already but what if Mach Rider is just a Captain Falcon echo with Wario's Side B. I mean they did the whole different special move with Chrom.

Tho, it would be the first time that we had an echo from a different series than the original.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If the leak is legit and all of these characters are in, gotta be honest.

Mach Rider is the character I'd most want to see gameplay of. I need to know how Sakurai made that work.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Idk if this has been said yet already but what if Mach Rider is just a Captain Falcon echo with Wario's Side B. I mean they did the whole different special move with Chrom.

Tho, it would be the first time that we had an echo from a different series than the original.
If we're going off the text leak back in September, Mach Rider is a unique character. Only Ken and Shadow were specified as echoes.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's kinda crazy how half of FE's roster are Marth variations.
More than half, actually. But half of the LoZ characters are Links. Not variations. Plain Links.

Odd point is that in the UK, they're called Duck Hunt Duo, which is misleading since it's actually a trio.

Though in this case, the characters don't have straight names like the Chorus Kids do.
Interestingly enough, Popo and Nana have their own names but they are still called by their game in the Japanese version: Ice Climber

Tyrathius

Smash Cadet
Random question. Do we know exactly what stage the character mural is supposed to be? Going by aesthetic I assume it's some version of Battlefield, but I don't know if it's Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Final Destination Battlefield, or whatever.

And if we do know the exact stage, has anyone checked to see if the castle and other missing stuff are in the background in the actual stage? I'm guessing someone probably has, but I haven't seen any talk about it.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman

I highly doubt that. Mach rider would be a perfect unique fighter besides most of the retro characters Sakurai adds to the game are usually unique. It would be wasted potential for Mach to be a echo.

bountyhunta87

Smash Cadet
What bothers me is that most of the characters in this leak are from dead franchises, granted highly requested, but still dead. I mean I love golden sun and hope Isaac is in yet GS dark dawn was not on par, and after the Banjo's last game sucking a big one and comming out like 10 years ago (he's been dead to me since then), not to mention Geno, a side character (one of the best if not the best at that) from a 20 year old game, would sqaure enix really want him to be in or would they preffer to promote something a bit more relevant? What would they gain besides some praise from the hardcore fans? These are just my 2 cents take them as you will...

cothero

Smash Lord

If you look closely at the banner leaked, there's also a conductor with them, so maybe "Rhythm Heaven" could be more a more suitable name considering all the elements about the character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom