• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
so where does it say that bandai namco, or any of the third-party companies with a hand in Smash, has absolutely no involvement with smash's marketing?
They’re contracted and it’s nintendo biggest game of the year. History says that’s how Nintendo handles Smash Bros (as they did with 4)

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Sure, that's fine. But being a **** about it is what I'm talking about. It would be ****ty if Banjo didn't get in and someone said "Lol I'm SOOOOO glad that stupid Bear didn't get in." And then posted a picture of Banjo crying or some ****. It is just disrespectful. That's not a good thing. Ever. That's called rubbing salt in the wounds and it's just a **** move. Don't do it.
That makes sense. I misunderstood what you were saying

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You do you, Toaster. I honestly could care less what people believe, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion and should not be criticized for having one.

Just 'cause I'm on the fake side doesn't mean everyone else has to be. For all I know, I'm the one who's wrong. Just gotta wait and see. Also, it's a video game rumor. It's not worth getting into arguments over. :p
Yeah man, people can be on either side and I don't particularly care. It's just a stance in the speculation period of a video game coming out in a month and some change.

You could be on team-totally-different-conspiracy-theory, and you should be fine doing that too lol
We're all on the same team in the end hahaha

D

Deleted member

Grinch: Come on you pile of-! *Shoots to the air with a riffle* Debunk me! Debunk me! *Shoots again*

*Nintendo Sentinels are going straight to the location of Grinch in the road*

Grinch: Debunk me! *Shoots with more violence*

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
In the Metroid lore, she's specified as female, however considering she's a reincarnated, humanoid, Phazon-corrupted metroid that looks like Samus simply because it ripped the Phazon Suit off of Samus to give itself a corporeal form and not actually a clone of Samus herself, it is technically genderless. We could argue that maybe the original metroid that Dark Samus came from was female and use that as a basis, but that was never explicitly stated in the lore, so either way works. I consider Dark Samus genderless but I think it's easier to refer to her as a "she".

tl;dr semantics
Don't forget the skeletal Prime 2 form, which suggests she might have taken more from Samus than just the suit in forming a rudimentary body (i.e., DNA). Of course, this is still just speculation.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
The funny thing is, this does sound like the reverse of how we treat Box Theory. If people weren't believing that one because "it was too disappointing to be true", then perhaps it might be just as strange that I wouldn't believe the Grinch leak for the opposite reason. Well, if it weren't for historical precedence.

The reason "too good to be true" is the counter here is simple: when was the last time the final true leak actually pleased everyone?

Was it in Smash 4? Because I don't remember being pleased by the ESRB leak. I remember thinking "Why would you put Dr. Mario back? Why would you put Dark Pit??" And let's not forget everyone who couldn't stand the idea of Duck Hunt getting in over all the hopefuls. Or Corrin, later on in the DLC season, a decision not even Cloud Strife could counterbalance.

Was it in Brawl? I definitely don't remember anyone being happy with that. I remember reading "Why does it end at Wolf??", "What tf is a Toon Link?" and numerous arguments denying the existence of R.O.B. Was it in Melee? I legitimately have no experience in this case, but I don't imagine Mr. Game & Watch and Marth originally fulfilling everyone's dreams.

Even Ultimate, when its contents were leaked onto 4chan prior to the E3 Direct, seemed to suffer from this. Just Daisy and Ridley? Enough ported content to make people question if it was a port? What far cry from the Melee and Brawl reveal trailers was this? (This isn't to say it was bad in the slightest, but that what we got is so different from what we expected that a leak of its contents alone could not please people as much as the actual presentation itself did.)

So why does the Grinch leak just so happen to please almost everyone? Just look at this list - five secret newcomers, all original. Isaac and Geno for the longtime hopefuls. Chorus Kids for the Smash 4 fans who wanted to see them. Mach Rider for those who expect a retro character. Banjo-Kazooie for the Rare crowd. Ken and Shadow for their respective bases. Even I'd be happy if it turned out to be true, finally seeing Banjo-Kazooie get into Smash; you'd have to be exclusively supporting the likes of indies, BWD, and Waluigi to be upset with what the Grinch leak promises. Sure, one could say Mach Rider and Chorus Kids would count as controversial choices, but they're well balanced out by everyone else, and disappointing unexpected final leaks are never balanced out by hype ones.

So let me repeat: when was the last time the final real leak actually pleased as many people as this one does?

No matter what evidence people have for or against this, there's still the fact that getting this many popular reveals still being kept secret when we're only a little more than a month away from release has only two possible explanations:

1. Sakurai has magically conjured a whole year's worth of work (at the very least) out of thin air to cram five unique newcomers into a game already worried about 70+ characters, 100+ stages, a mysterious green mode important enough to take a quarter of the main menu, and god knows how many copyrights. Also, he is even worse at spacing out characters than we could have suspected, despite being an unofficially-recognized hypemaster.

2. A leaker is reaching as far as he can for maximum infamy, because evil is willing to put in the work if it means they win, and people always prefer to believe things that make them happy.

Anyway, vent over. This is the last time I want to say anything about this thing.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Huh? I know the guy exists, that’s not the point. What does the fact that a guy who worked at a publishing company now works at another publishing company have anything to do with the leak?
The dude's name is in the leak, so he's connected in some way. Either he worked on it or it's a fake and the dude pulled his name somehow.

We know the guy had access to a printing shop, the leak makes that obvious. The name helps build plausibility on that claim, since this person does work at a company that has that. It relates to the leak because it helps confirm the story, if it is real.

The one good piece of evidence against the mural art is Vaanrose's post about the backgrounds. That is what is giving the leak pause. That is something we should also be looking at.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
Oh, someone was using his name, you say?

I have a question: Is there any proof that these snapchats are actually real? Is it possible someone just picked the name off of linkedin and attached it to it?
I know it's blacked out, but - and I don't want to sound like I'm in denial, I'm just genuinely curious - why would they have done such a bad job at blacking it out? It's obvious even from a glance that there's a visible name under it, and there are patches where it's pitch black, so I don't understand why they wouldn't take the five seconds needed to properly black it out unless they were creating an intentional paper trail.
Actually, you can see a company's employees on LinkedIn, so you just need to know of a printing company that works for a company associated with Smash Bros.

To be fair, I don't think you need to assume anything - it is the internet.

Following my train of thought, I don't think that was part of it at all - you can message people on LinkedIn, so he could have been getting bombarded with messages and decided to go private based on that.
Not saying I told you all so, but...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
that’s fine but his post said “do not trash another character” which makes it sound like we can’t say we don’t want a certain character
Trashing a character and going "i don't want this character" are two totally different things.

It's the difference between "Ashley shouldn't get in cause she's useless and all of her fans have a loli fetish" and "I'd rather someone else got in other than Ashley"

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Someone mentioned a “story mode-like trailer” for potentially revealing the newcomers, and it made me realize something: If Spirits ends up being a story mode, how will certain characters even work/fit in? Will everyone be in it? We have :ultdoc::ulttoonlink: and :ultyounglink:, and why would Mario change into scrubs for a level, and clearly we can’t have 3 Links meeting or there’s gonna be a time paradox. Plus, how do you even incorporate characters like :ultwiifittrainer: in a story mode? I can’t see her randomly coming out of the blue to save Sonic’s butt, or just casually doing exercise and then realizing “I need to go save the world” when a villain suddenly appears. She’s a fitness instructor, not a warrior or adventurer or anything like that.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Serebii is adding another layer-
Source
I've missed no evidence pointing towards it being real.

It basically is this
Yup... Oh, and ZugheEX , adminitstrator of ResetEra is now absolutely Team Fake on the ResetEra's Poll about that leak.

Tbh, I don't know what to think now, I was team "HMMMM" but when it's those two who come out it's something else.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You're a mean boi, Mr. Grinch
You set the web ablaze
you leaked the Smash Bros roster
And you you started such a craze, Mr/ Grinch
You did it all and you barley even left a trace

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ok, no, this bothers me. Serebii is literally the most trustworthy in regards to any rumour and leaks in gaming because he never reports on anything that isn't real for sure. Joe has had a 100% track record on Pokemon leaks ever since Gen 5(which was when he took a more professional approach), he has never falsely reported on something nor has he failed to report on a real one, and this extends to what he has commented on Smash in the past. There's a reason Serebii confirmed is a meme.
Now I ask you, what the **** do you know compared to people who actually have insider info? You're the one acting like a condescending jerk here, ****ting on Je because he disagrees with you.

And for the people saying "I want this to be real so all these arrogants "insiders" can be wring": please take a look at a ****ing mirror
Well, said.

However, to be honest, having a 100% track record on Pokémon leaks doesn't necessarily translate to a track record for Smash Bros. leaks.
I think I'm going all in on it being real.
But not as a joke this time.
I've got nothing to lose- and I'm not afraid of people wrong. I don't know why anyone would be.

"BUT DON'T CRY TO ME WHEN YOU'RE DISAPPOINTED"
***** do you know who i am
i'm not gonna be disappointed

I've got a few hunches, but that's besides the point.

Remember fellas, hype irresponsibly and totally forget about it when the game comes out just like everyone else

Screenshot it and do whatever you want if/when the leak turns out to be bogus.
I welcome I-told-you-so's. Brings out the special kinds of people.

:)

I'm going to actually do background research on this stuff for once when I get home, but I probably won't share much information. If I find anything out, it'll probably be posted on 4chan in a blurred, tilted image.
Yes, Toaster.

Join the Dark Side.
We can rule together.

D

Deleted member

We get Everyone is Here 2: Electric Boogaloo and it just straight up reveals the entire roster casually while also revealing there are 100 unique fighters and they all have Echoes.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Source

Yup... Oh, and ZugheEX , adminitstrator of ResetEra is now absolutely Team Fake on the ResetEra's Poll about that leak.

Tbh, I don't know what to think now, I was team "HMMMM" but when it's those two who come out it's something else.
This is the problem:

There's not strong evidence that The Grinch Leak is real and at the same time, there's not strong evidence that this leak is fake.

Im 50/50 on this.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
after the spawn wave deal turned out to just be "Ehhh shrug it looks a bit too good to be true" I dont really care what the journo/resetera goons gotta say until they actually start delivering.

I'm still interested in debunking it, but a secret circle jerk ain't winning me over

D

Deleted member

1. Sakurai has magically conjured a whole year's worth of work (at the very least) out of thin air to cram five unique newcomers into a game already worried about 70+ characters, 100+ stages, a mysterious green mode important enough to take a quarter of the main menu, and god knows how many copyrights. Also, he is even worse at spacing out characters than we could have suspected, despite being an unofficially-recognized hypemaster.

2. A leaker is reaching as far as he can for maximum infamy, because evil is willing to put in the work if it means they win, and people always prefer to believe things that make them happy.
My favorite thing about scenario 2 is that someone thought "how do I make this actually worth discussing? Oh duh, stick a Grinch render in there."

Potato_

Smash Lord
The funny thing is, this does sound like the reverse of how we treat Box Theory. If people weren't believing that one because "it was too disappointing to be true", then perhaps it might be just as strange that I wouldn't believe the Grinch leak for the opposite reason. Well, if it weren't for historical precedence.

The reason "too good to be true" is the counter here is simple: when was the last time the final true leak actually pleased everyone?

Was it in Smash 4? Because I don't remember being pleased by the ESRB leak. I remember thinking "Why would you put Dr. Mario back? Why would you put Dark Pit??" And let's not forget everyone who couldn't stand the idea of Duck Hunt get in over all the hopefuls. Or Corrin, later on in the DLC season, a decision not even Cloud Strife could counterbalance.

Was it in Brawl? I definitely don't remember anyone being happy with that. I remember reading "Why does it end at Wolf??", "What tf is a Toon Link?" and numerous arguments denying the existence of R.O.B. Was it in Melee? I legitimately have no experience in this case, but I don't imagine Mr. Game & Watch and Marth originally fulfilling everyone's dreams.

Even Ultimate, when its contents were leaked onto 4chan prior to the E3 Direct, seemed to suffer from this. Just Daisy and Ridley? Enough ported content to make people question if it was a port? What far cry from the Melee and Brawl reveal trailers was this? (This isn't to say it was bad in the slightest, but that what we got is so different from what we expected that a leak of its contents alone could not please people as much as the actual presentation itself did.)

So why does the Grinch leak just so happen to please almost everyone? Just look at this list. Isaac and Geno for the longtime hopefuls. Chorus Kids for the Smash 4 fans who wanted to see them. Mach Rider for those who expect a retro character. Banjo-Kazooie for the Rare crowd. Ken and Shadow for their respective bases. Even I'd be happy if it turned out to be true, finally seeing Banjo-Kazooie get into Smash; you'd have to be exclusively supporting the likes of indies, BWD, and Waluigi to be upset with what the Grinch leak promises. Sure, one could say Mach Rider and Chorus Kids would count as controversialchoices, but they're well balanced out by everyone else, and disappointing unexpected final leaks are never balanced out by hype ones.

So let me repeat: when was the last time the final real leak actually pleased as many people as this one does?

No matter what evidence people have for or against this, there's still the fact that getting this many popular reveals still being kept secret when we're only a little more than a month away from release has only two possible explanations:

The argument of "I don't think we could be getting these characters!" sucked for Box theory. It sucks here.

The characters included in a leak are just one small piece of the larger claim. You have to look at the whole thing. Sakurai COULD have gotten this many reveals. He could not. We could end on just Incineroar and Ken. We could not. We don't have any information for or against that other than assumptions, so why should we looks at that part of it in such detail?

Instead we look at the story behind the leak and the actual art itself to see if it's actually valid, ALONG with the characters.

Also the bolded part is some revisionism if I've ever seen it. 99% of people were ecstatic at E3. I really did not see anything even resembling the disappointment from the end of Smash 4.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yes, Toaster.

Join the Dark Side.
We can rule together.
I get the bigger chair.
I need to keep up this arrogant character I'm creating.

We get Everyone is Here 2: Electric Boogaloo and it just straight up reveals the entire roster casually while also revealing there are 100 unique fighters and they all have Echoes.
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 be damned

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I'm not Team Real, Team Fake, or Team Inbetween. I'm Team This Game Is Already Great As Is And Everything Else Is Extra Icing On The Cake When Revealed.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
Why do people put so much stock in e-celeb opinions? Especially ones that are completely unrelated to the source?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
after the spawn wave deal turned out to just be "Ehhh shrug it looks a bit too good to be true" I dont really care what the journo/resetera goons gotta say until they actually start delivering.

I'm still interested in debunking it, but a secret circle jerk ain't winning me over
Spawn-Wave literally said to wait a Week or two for it to get debunked itself (Probably by the next Direct), and already said that he was just going to give his Opinion on the matters.
Also it's not "It's too good to be true" it's also "Where the **** is Incineroar" like, he himself said in the video that it's not a secret anymore, all insiders comes out and talk about Incineroar not being here at all.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Source

Joe Merrick does not have a good track record with IDing real leaks. His strategy is to call basically every leak fake from minute 0 and hence statistically he's usually right. This of course falls apart when real leaks happen though, such as when the Pokemon Sun and Moon starter evolutions leaked and he dismissed them immediately.

His opinion of fake means nothing because he believes everything he was not personally informed on to be fake.

Last edited:

flapperultra121

Smash Rookie
OK if this leak is real then the roster will be the best in any fighting game ever. It irritates me to see that some people are disappointed with the leaked roster or angry about the inclusion of one or more; Surely more characters is better and we are lucky to have this many. However as people have been saying it has missed out some fairly obvious characters. So with that I analysed Smash 4s DLC characters and here are some ideas (I wouldn't say predictions). I rank these from most likely to least likely and I have broken them down into catagories based on smash 4 rep in DLC.

Reasons I think this leak is real:

Chorus kids being in over Ashley now makes sense to me as both are from rythem/ micro game series and I think it would be strange to have more than one character from a micro game series. Also chorus kids were planned for smash 4 but dropped towards the end of development as in the source code you can see hints to them.

Nintendo and Microsoft are strangely budding up when it comes to their view on rare games and Sony recently. also King K rool is a rare character design (not owned by rare)

Grinch evidence and marketing company evidence

Uses battlefield artwork that didn't exist

If this is fake then I have never seen a leak with more effort put into it. It's so elaborate! Even if it is fake my hat goes off to you sir.

Since we are unlikely to get another smash bros game until nintendos next console I think we will get 8-10 new characters and 4 or 5 echos released over a period of two or three years just to keep interest in the game going

I think the 8th gen Pokemon representative will appear as DLC to try and sell it to younger kids

Nintendo will include at least one of its own characters and Namco will either push for an echo or character or both

Capcom and square enix are likely to get a character based on how Ryu and Cloud were originally DLC characters

A second party developer will definetly get some rep like how platinum did with Bayonetta

Like how Square enix was a surprise third party for smash 4 DLC I think another third party will surprise us like Ubisoft or Bethesda.

There is a chance for a completely random I did not see that coming character and I think the Nes era will get another representative.

Pokemon rep:

Incineroar or Decidueye - Because smash 4 DLC had A Pokemon representative (Mewtwo). I have no idea which one would get in but either way don't really care about it

Nintendo rep:

Arms guy and gal - Games didn't do amazingly and was no Splatoon success new IP but it was interesting and has a folowing. I could see it being one of the hybrid echo newcomers between little mac and some new moves

Skull Kid - So far not seen smash assist trophy and potentially obsolete with squid sisters. Cool character design and Pottentialy fun moveset. IGNORE CHAIR THEORY.

Captain Toad - Requested and likely to score high in another smash ballot vote.

Second party rep:

Rex and Pyra - Due to popularity of Xenoblade 2 and having xenoblade representation already.

Professor Layton - OK Nintendo how isn't this guy in Smash? One of the best selling and reviewed series on DS and 3DS and from a developer with long standing ties! Jeez if you can give a rythem game a character surely a puzzle game wouldn't hurt.

Custom robo rep - Don't know much about this series only played one game for a bit on 3DS (it was good) only reason is it was teased. I hear it's very popular in Japan.

Square enix rep:

Crono - A retro square character that Nintendo loves.

Slimes/ slime knight - Dragon quest representation to promote dragon quest

Sora - Only unlikely since no main series game has appeared on a Nintendo system

Erdrick or DQ 11 hero - *THIS IS ULTRA UNLIKELY* Based on this Geno leak and With Square Enix and Nintendo buttering up again a bit and the potential release of Dragon Quest 11 S in Japan sometime in 2019 I could see Squere trying to promote it and there collaboration through a Dragon quest rep. It makes sense since every Dragon quest game has eventually released on a Nintendo system and is where the series debuted. However to debunk my own prediction while in melee smash was used to sell fire emblem to the west, Dragon quest has never sold well outside of japan and the game Erdrick is from sold so poorly Dragon warrior was given away with Nintendo power. Due to this I believe the protagonist of 11 would be more likely than Erdrick but still unlikely due to western sales and apathy. Although Dragon Quest is like a gaming public holiday in Japan...

Capcom rep:

Monster Hunter - Having a stage and Boss doesn't really make sense on it's own and knowing Monster hunters history on nintendo systems you would expect a big presence due to this (ie similar level of detail as Castlevania). I also think this may also be a similar case to Lucas DLC where there was no obvious reason to keep him out of smash (although existing movesets etc would have made him easier to build for dlc and it was probably a last minute cash grab so IDK)

Amaterasu - A popular and interesting concept for a character I can see them getting behind

retro rep:

Dig Dug - A popular arcade character like pacman and really since Namco being a co developer it would make sense.

Sophia III - Ok super unlikely but who doesn't want to play as a platforming tank. I do. Also with konami back in smash rep this becomes more likely

Surprise third party rep:

Crash Bandicoot - Long loved platforming hero and more recent games have been on Nintendo consoles. I feel that if this romur is true and Banjo Kazooie is real then I can see another mid to late 90s character making a surprise entry as DLC.

Rayman - Only because Nintendo and Ubisoft are best buds. He also got a trophy in smash 4. However the fact he is in Brawlhala may disprove this. (although Shovel knight is in smash and rivals of aether so IDK).

Minecraft Steve - OH GOD IT MAKES SENSE BUT PLEASE NO ANYONE BUT...

Shantae - Unlikely due to being indie rep however it ranked high on straw polls

Surprise rep:

Slippy toad - I feel more starfox characters are likely since its only a matter of time before a new star fox game especially now Ubisoft has breathed fresh life into the characters

Poly figter (Smash 64 proto) - They would do that sort of thing you know it.

Wart (SMB2) - IDK i hear rumors

Echos:

Dixie Kong - Popular choice for fan service. Diddy kong echo.

Octoling - Inkling echo

Tetra - Toon link echo. Fights with pirate swords and stuff

Mrs Pacman - Pacman echo

Medusa - Palutana echo. Not likely but I can see it.

Gigue - Mewtwo echo. Not likely becuase why would they have a earthbound echo based on a pokemon. But this character would be cool because they look similar and I saw someones proposed moveset and it was awsome.

Ninten - Echo of Ness. I doubt they would use this character because it seems strange to have a character called nintendo in the game but i wouldn't mind.

Some other Thoughts:

Waluigi is not important enough for a character in smash since he is only ever in sports and party games and the only time he was an atagonist was in the DDR game. I think an assis trophy suits him fine. Also I think giving wario a villain (If the villain theme is true) would make sense so I would settle for captain syrup or a spear guy (Thinking now that would be a great echo for bandanna dee if that wasn't such a boring kirby character).

Kraid is too big

Skull kid has a really good chance but "Chair theory" is just a coencidence.

I am doubtful of much indie representation other than shovel knight

Paper mario is a no for DLC since I think that character is such a big addition that it wouldn't suit DLC

100% Chance of DLC characters or even free updates (pottentially somthing of a perk for paying for online?)

The Grinch leak also lines up with what Bass2448 said (I added my thoughts between ?s):

• Ponytail - ?Dixie?

• Old Man - ???????

• Archer - ?Decidueye?

• Mech - Mach Rider

• Rhythm - Chorus Kids

• Folklore - Banjo

• Doll - Geno

• Soul - Isaac

• Fake - Shadow

I would just like to clarify I think the "codename" leak is fake especially since the reveal dates were wrong but they could have changed them to try and make us think this leak is fake *Conspiracies*.

Please feel free to share your thoughts. It seems anything is possible now...
Please feel free to share your thoughts. It seems anything is possible now...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom