• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Because clones reuse assets, there's a higher chance of more character representation from a variety of different series. Of course, you have to do clones right, like Wolf as I mentioned in my previous posts, and not something like Melee Roy; then there's the subject of padding the roster for the sake of it. Adding a few clones is a good way to appease those people who want characters that may function or play similarly to another character already on the roster.

Of course, once you have an additional character in, you are able to focus more dev time on making a making a new character. If Smash had only original characters and no clones, the roster would be significantly smaller in every iteration of the game from 64 to Smash 4.
i don't mind semi clones, but full blown clones i detest.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
What confuses me about Sylux is the rationale for his inclusion.

It's not because of his move potential, or the fact he's an interesting character, or that he has a cool design. It comes down to "Metroid needs more reps". I agree, but just because Metroid should get another character doesn't mean we should settle.

Aside from Dark Samus, you have other hunters who are more interesting (although I personally don't think any are worth advocating for). Weavel, for example, could be interesting, given his ability to divide into two parts. Sylux has... the shock coil?

Maybe there's a rad moveset out there, but I'm curious if anyone has a reason more than "Metroid needs more reps".
Ive wanted Weavel for Smash for so long!

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wanna break up the topic for a quick moment to talk about the subject of characters getting "revoiced" for this Smash.
Others may not agree with me but I believe :4jigglypuff: is overdue for a "revoice" for this upcoming game in my humble opinion, especially if they plan on reworking its moveset this time around. The Puff's been using the same exact voiceclips in each game since 64, for the love of pete.
You could possibly say this for Yoshi and Captain Falcon as well, but those three don't really need to see a revoice.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I wanna break up the topic for a quick moment to talk about the subject of characters getting "revoiced" for this Smash.
Others may not agree with me but I believe :4jigglypuff: is overdue for a "revoice" for this upcoming game in my humble opinion, especially if they plan on reworking its moveset this time around. The Puff's been using the same exact voiceclips in each game since 64, for the love of pete.
To be honest, Jiggs' voice clips suit her perfectly. I wouldn't be opposed to a revoice at all if it was to include a Hyper Voice/Disarming Voice moveset change too. Please Sakurai, give her... anything to represent Fairy or to replace Rollout.

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
So out of boredom and curiosity, I've been looking back on GoNintendo's E3 coverage for last year...just to get an idea of when Nintendo's earliest mention of the event was, and when we could maybe get a hint of more Smash news coming.

Aside from a passing mention by Reggie in January in regards to showing off Mario Odyssey, the earliest post on the site is from March 30, pertaining to the Splatoon tournament they had planned: https://gonintendo.com/stories/277071-noa-pr-show-off-your-skills-in-the-splatoon-u-s-inkling-open-t

It would not shock me in the least if they did this yet again with Smash. And if that's the case we could very well be hearing something about it in as little as a couple weeks! Otherwise we're probably looking at May for when they unveil their plans in greater detail.

Nothing mind-blowing, of course...just a little something to chew on while we wait.

EDIT: seems this may be separate from the actual Splatoon invitational they held, which wasn't announced until the end of April, looking at later posts...ah, well. We can dream.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
People who think Sylux has a chance at all, when his only notable appearence is a DS spin-off, are just as silly as the people suggesting Anthony Higgs back in Smash 4 speculation.
You jest, but I still want my man Anthony Higgs in Smash.

...You got no style.

Last edited:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
People who think Sylux has a chance at all, when his only notable appearence is a DS spin-off, are just as silly as the people suggesting Anthony Higgs back in Smash 4 speculation.
Only appearance? You do realize he still has a bigger role to play that we have yet to see right? He's clearly been shown in Metroid Prime 3's 100% ending chasing Samus, as well as in a cutscene in Federation Force. Not only that, but Kensuke Tanabe even said in an interview in 2015 that they plan on having him play a major role in the game after Federation Force, which is looking to be Metroid Prime 4. If he indeed has a major role to play, then it wouldn't be surprising if they put him in this new smash to promote the new game.

D

Deleted member

Only appearance? You do realize he still has a bigger role to play that we have yet to see right? He's clearly been shown in Metroid Prime 3's 100% ending chasing Samus, as well as in a cutscene in Federation Force. Not only that, but Kensuke Tanabe even said in an interview in 2015 that they plan on having him play a major role in the game after Federation Force, which is looking to be Metroid Prime 4. If he indeed has a major role to play, then it wouldn't be surprising if they put him in this new smash to promote the new game.
I don't care about the future, I care about the now.
And "now", Sylux is in one minor game only.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I don't care about the future, I care about the now.
And "now", Sylux is in one minor game only.
Yeah, ok. Well, I don't think that mindset really worked for people when we got Roy and Corrin, but it's whatever. I'm just saying, you can't be surprised if Sylux actually gets in due to having a major role in the new Metroid Prime game.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, ok. Well, I don't think that mindset really worked for people when we got Roy and Corrin, but it's whatever. I'm just saying, you can't be surprised if Sylux actually gets in due to having a major role in the new Metroid Prime game.
You mean the Metroid game that isn't far enough in development to even have footage? Or the Metroid game that will most likely also include Ridley?

Whatever man, set yourself up for disappointment regarding your minor character, I'm going to sleep

IronTed

Smash Ace
Only appearance? You do realize he still has a bigger role to play that we have yet to see right? He's clearly been shown in Metroid Prime 3's 100% ending chasing Samus, as well as in a cutscene in Federation Force. Not only that, but Kensuke Tanabe even said in an interview in 2015 that they plan on having him play a major role in the game after Federation Force, which is looking to be Metroid Prime 4. I7f he indeed has a major role to play, then it wouldn't be surprising if they put him in this new smash to promote the new game.
To be fair, one could have made this exact same argument for Dark Samus during the Brawl days, and yet she didn't get in.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
"But DK does have a large number of good, unused characters that easily warrant inclusion in Smash Bros."
No. Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are stars in the overall Nintendo universe on a level that the others can't rival. I can see King K. Rool or Dixie happening as a nod to fan requests, but that would only be if Sakurai feels generous enough. Their prime was back in the original Donkey Kong Country games. Dixie and Cranky have the benefit of being in Tropical Freeze, but these characters have never been shoe ins.

The reason I say that characters like Waddle Dee or Dixie Kong would be considered generous is because the universes they come from are well represented by all of the most iconic characters of the series.

When you have DK & Diddy for Donkey Kong or Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight for Kirby, newcomers for these series are naturally going to be a low priority. The same was the case for Super Mario in Brawl until Rosalina & Bowser Jr became so integral to the franchise that they simply could not be ignored.

Sakurai can easily get away with only having Donkey Kong & Diddy Kong.

?????????????

Smash Master
No. Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are stars in the overall Nintendo universe on a level that the others can't rival. I can see King K. Rool or Dixie happening as a nod to fan requests, but that would only be if Sakurai feels generous enough. Their prime was back in the original Donkey Kong Country games. Dixie and Cranky have the benefit of being in Tropical Freeze, but these characters have never been shoe ins.

The reason I say that characters like Waddle Dee or Dixie Kong would be considered generous is because the universes they come from are well represented by all of the most iconic characters of the series.

When you have DK & Diddy for Donkey Kong or Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight for Kirby, newcomers for these series are naturally going to be a low priority. The same was the case for Super Mario in Brawl until Rosalina & Bowser Jr became so integral to the franchise that they simply could not be ignored.

I think you have a really good point, but I don’t agree that Rosalina is “integral” to Mario.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
You mean the Metroid game that isn't far enough in development to even have footage? Or the Metroid game that will most likely also include Ridley?

Whatever man, set yourself up for disappointment regarding your minor character, I'm going to sleep
No need to be so rude in what should be a civil discussion, but whatever floats your boat. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't sleep on Sylux. If he indeed does have a major role in the new game, he's likely to be considered. There's only 2 other reps I can think of, Dark Samus, and Ridley. At least considering Ridley, Sakurai wants NOTHING to do with him, so I doubt he'll budge on that end.

To be fair, one could have made this exact same argument for Dark Samus during the Brawl days, and yet she didn't get in.
Fair enough, but it makes me wonder if Dark Samus would end up being a Samus clone. *Shrug* It'd be interesting to see what it could bring to the table though. As for other characters, I haven't really played much Metroid outside of the Prime series, so I'm merely applying what knowledge I do have. I for one don't mind being proven wrong about something, as the overall result could exceed my expectations. I don't see my predictions as something that's set in stone, or definite, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Well, in Rosalina’s defense, she’s integral to the Super Mario Galaxy games and she’ s become a staple in spin-offs after that. Pauline could end up in a similar scenario thanks to Super Mario Odyssey.

As for DK newcomers, we need FUNKY MODE in Smash 5.

Edit: Still on Metroid reps? Here’s one that would catch the internet by surprise and generate so much salt, you’d never have to buy salt for the rest of your lives.

A Federation Soldier from Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I’m curious what new and or potentially old things could we see in this game. Besides characters and stages, I’m curious about how they’ll tweak the gameplay, and the modes. Sm4sh was made in like around 2.5 years right? Across two different consoles. Which also resulted in some things from one version that wasn’t in another. This time, it seems development will be around 2.5 years again but this time making a game for only one console. There’s also the fact that I’m pretty sure we don’t know who is developing the game at the moment.

Like will we get an adventure mode of some kind again or Smash Run back. What new thing could we potentiall get? How fast or slow will the fighting be based on the engine? How offensive/defensive. It’s interesting to me cause it seems like they’ve got around the same time frame to make this as they did for Sm4sh but will likely more time to put effort into something new or refining something old as this game won’t be “limited” by being made for two systems.

IronTed

Smash Ace
No need to be so rude in what should be a civil discussion, but whatever floats your boat. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't sleep on Sylux. If he indeed does have a major role in the new game, he's likely to be considered. There's only 2 other reps I can think of, Dark Samus, and Ridley. At least considering Ridley, Sakurai wants NOTHING to do with him, so I doubt he'll budge on that end.

Fair enough, but it makes me wonder if Dark Samus would end up being a Samus clone. *Shrug* It'd be interesting to see what it could bring to the table though. As for other characters, I haven't really played much Metroid outside of the Prime series, so I'm merely applying what knowledge I do have. I for one don't mind being proven wrong about something, as the overall result could exceed my expectations. I don't see my predictions as something that's set in stone, or definite, I'm just throwing ideas out there.
I don't disagree that Dark Samus would probably be a clone, if she were playable, but if she were to be a clone, it would take very little work to do so (granted this is only a hypothetical).

I don't have much of an opinion on Sylux, largely due to his only real appearance being in Hunters. My only opinion is that he's bland. Maybe Prime 4 could change that for the better, they have a lot to work with. I also agree that after Ridley, Sylux is probably the next runner-up. I just think his chances aren't great. If he does get in, I'll definitely eat crow over it.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Who I sleep with is none of your business but don't worry, I'd rather have someone dependable on my bed.
Humorous. However, I think you missed the entire point of my post. He may have been more likely than other Metroid reps in my eyes, even though I'd prefer Dark Samus in the long run, Sylux was still incredibly low on my list of predictions in the first place. Either way, I won't push this point further.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

While you technically aren't wrong that DK and Diddy can represent Donkey Kong Country very well, that argument as a whole doesn't really work.

I mean, we only REALLY need Link, Zelda and Ganondorf for Zelda, and we only really need Peach, Mario, Bowser and Luigi for Mario.

You argue that Rosalina and Bowser Jr "Became so integral to the franchise" yet neither of these characters were even in Super Mario Odyssey. Those characters are literally just fluff for the roster. In the example of Dixie Kong, I'd argue that she's historically more "integral to the franchise" of DKC than Rosalina EVER was to Super Mario. Not that it matters, since that argument doesn't really work in the context of smash.

And if you want to argue "Rosalina got in Smash because she was integral to the Super Mario franchise at the time of Smash 4's development" then guess what? Bandana Dee is literally the 4th most "integeral" character to the Kirby franchise. If you have done your homework, you would know the character has had multiple SIGNIFICANT roles since smash 4. Similar thing for Dixie (although I can't really say the same about K. Rool) I will admit that Dixie wasn't in a major Donkey Kong Country game since Donkey Kong Country 3 on GBA, but we can say that she has STARRED as THE MAIN CHARACTER in HER OWN GAME. Literally only 2 other Donkey Kong Country characters share this role, and they are both in smash. Not to mention she is literally playable in the most recent DKC, a game that's getting a remake.

Although, that last paragraph doesn't matter, because the whole "The series doesn't need any more characters since the core ones are in already" argument is invalid in the first place.

Edit: Apologies for the rant, I just REALLY didn't like that argument. I'm going to go watch "Emporer's New Groove" now

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I thought we all knew we were well past the "integral characters only" thing lol. There's about a million examples of why that's false if you go look at Smash 4's character select screen.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Im gonna be so sad if they remove Customs and Equipment. Especially in 3ds, i pretty much loved using customs and equipment in Classic, All Star, Master Orders, Event (helped me a whole lot there) And Especially Smash Run.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Im gonna be so sad if they remove Customs and Equipment. Especially in 3ds, i pretty much loved using customs and equipment in Classic, All Star, Master Orders, Event (helped me a whole lot there) And Especially Smash Run.
If they bring the customs back, they better rework the hell out of the system used to obtain them. It was so frustrating to try and get all the custom moves and stuff in 4.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I don't disagree that Dark Samus would probably be a clone, if she were playable, but if she were to be a clone, it would take very little work to do so (granted this is only a hypothetical).

I don't have much of an opinion on Sylux, largely due to his only real appearance being in Hunters. My only opinion is that he's bland. Maybe Prime 4 could change that for the better, they have a lot to work with. I also agree that after Ridley, Sylux is probably the next runner-up. I just think his chances aren't great. If he does get in, I'll definitely eat crow over it.
I honestly would love to see Dark Samus with a unique playstyle, I just think that they'd end up being a clone of Samus, which would be unfortunate. As for Ridley, I still don't believe he would happen with Sakurai involved in the project. It's plausible, but very unlikely. With Sylux however, it's a matter of: How big of a role will he really have. If he has a major role and is unique enough, he could easily be fleshed out enough to be granted a spot. If they decided to give him more of a minor role instead though, it's unlikely that he'd even be considered. Speculating on his inclusion is basically like speculating for the story for Metroid Prime 4 at this rate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Figured I wanted to share this here, because why not? Here's my Decidueye Moveset, if anyone wants to give it a read!

Decidueye Takes Aim!
Jab: A three strike attack. First is swipe of the wing, and then two talon-swipe kicks.
Dash Attack: Decidueye glides forward a bit, corkscrewing while using Drill Peck.
Side Tilt: Decidueye flaps its wings twice, aggressively.
Up Tilt: Decidueye leaps up to hit foes with its beak.
Down Tilt: Decidueye does a low kick with its claws.

Neutral Air: Channeling its inner Yondu, Decidueye's arrow makes a loop around itself despite Decidueye not firing it. Spooooooky.
Forward Air: Decidueye launches an arrow diagonally downward.
Back Air: Decidueye turns to kick foes with its talons.
Up Air: Decidueye flaps its wings, sending it slightly upward to hit foes. Uniquely, this can aid in recovery, similar to Corrin's back air.
Down Air: Decidueye launches a spread of three arrows below it. The middle arrow meteor smashes foes.

Side Smash: Decidueye leaps back while launching an arrow at the ground in front of it.
Up Smash: Decidueye launches three arrows consecutively directly above it. This is a meteor smash.
Down Smash: Decidueye leaps up and launches an exploding feather arrow into the ground below it.

Forward Throw: Decidueye launches an arrow at the foes head, launching them forward.
Back Throw: Decidueye tosses them back and kicks the foe with extended talons.
Up Throw: Decidueye flies up, foe in its talons, and slams them into the ground.
Down Throw: Decidueye launches an arrow into the ground that explodes.

Specials:

Neutral Special: Spirit Shackle - Decidueye takes aim and launches an arrow toward the foe. If hit, the opponent will be stunned and unable to move or jump for a small amount of time, enabling Decidueye to follow up with a strong attack.

Side Special: Leafage - Decidueye launches three razor-sharp leaves out of its wing bow that then spread in a fan pattern. At any point, Side B can be pressed again to make them reconverge for more damage.

Up Special: Brave Bird - Decidueye flies up and then diagonally downward at the peak. If a foe is hit in the downward crash, it does hefty damage, but also causes recoil damage to Decidueye.

Down Special: U-Turn - Decidueye gets a ghostly aura about it and launches itself at the opponent horizontally. While in this ghostly state, Decidueye is intangible. After striking, Decidueye goes back to where it was when starting the move. This move doesn't do a lot of damage, and instead is mainly used for its super armor and as a poking move.

Final Smash: Sinister Arrow Raid - Decidueye leaps up and performs its signature Z-Move, Sinister Arrow Raid. A huge line of Spirit Shackles descend from the sky and target the foe, and on impact, explode for massive damage and knockback.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Figured I wanted to share this here, because why not? Here's my Decidueye Moveset, if anyone wants to give it a read!

Decidueye Takes Aim!
Jab: A three strike attack. First is swipe of the wing, and then two talon-swipe kicks.
Dash Attack: Decidueye glides forward a bit, corkscrewing while using Drill Peck.

Neutral Air: Channeling its inner Yondu, Decidueye's arrow makes a loop around itself despite Decidueye not firing it. Spooooooky.
Forward Air: Decidueye launches and arrow diagonally downward.
Up Air: Decidueye flaps its wings, sending it slightly upward to hit foes. Uniquely, this can aid in recovery, similar to Corrin's back air.
Down Air: Decidueye launches a spread of three arrows below it. The middle arrow meteor smashes foes.

Side Smash: Decidueye leaps back while launching an arrow at the ground in front of it.
Up Smash: Decidueye launches three arrows consecutively directly above it. This is a meteor smash.
Down Smash: Decidueye leaps up and launches an exploding feather arrow into the ground below it.

Forward Throw: Decidueye launches an arrow at the foes head, launching them forward.
Up Throw: Decidueye flies up, foe in its talons, and slams them into the ground.
Down Throw: Decidueye launches and arrow into the ground that explodes.

Specials:

Neutral Special: Spirit Shackle - Decidueye takes aim and launches an arrow toward the foe. If hit, the opponent will be stunned and unable to move or jump for a small amount of time, enabling Decidueye to follow up with a strong attack.

Side Special: Leafage - Decidueye launches three razor-sharp leaves out of its wing bow that then spread in a fan pattern. At any point, Side B can be pressed again to make them reconverge for more damage.

Up Special: Brave Bird - Decidueye flies up and then diagonally downward at the peak. If a foe is hit in the downward crash, it does heat damage, but also causes recoil damage to Decidueye.

Down Special: U-Turn - Decidueye gets a ghostly aura about it and launches itself at the opponent horizontally. While in this ghostly state, Decidueye is intangible. After striking, Decidueye goes back to where it was when starting the move. This move doesn't do a lot of damage, and instead is mainly used for its super armor and as a poking move.

Final Smash: Sinister Arrow Raid - Decidueye leaps up and performs its signature Z-Move, Sinister Arrow Raid. A huge line of Spirit Shackles descend from the sky and target the foe, and on impact, explode for massive damage and knockback.
That is a really good move-set, I automatically like it! Brave-Bird, U-Turn, Leafage and Spirit Shackle just fit it so well. Also those attacks sounds like something Decuideye would do in the anime and in Pokemon, so well done Opossum. I love this move-set!

D

Deleted member

Decidueye Takes Aim!

Forward Air: Decidueye launches and arrow diagonally downward.

Down Throw: Decidueye launches and arrow into the ground that explodes.

Specials:

Up Special: Brave Bird - Decidueye flies up and then diagonally downward at the peak. If a foe is hit in the downward crash, it does heat damage, but also causes recoil damage to Decidueye.

This is perfect and fits Decidueye well. If he gets in hope he does I could see this for his it’s moveset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
If they bring the customs back, they better rework the hell out of the system used to obtain them. It was so frustrating to try and get all the custom moves and stuff in 4.
I absolutely agree, but i really hop they come back. They were really the funniest i have with Smash.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

Decidueye Takes Aim!

Forward Air: Decidueye launches an arrow diagonally downward.

Down Throw: Decidueye launches an arrow into the ground that explodes.

Specials:

There's a bit of repetition between some of the moves that you could probably work on (e.g. down throw and down smash).
I'd recommend having him use his wings slightly more so it's a little less "he shoots an arrow this way" on every move. You could also possibly employ a few more PKMN moves for his standard attacks/throws.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I honestly would love to see Dark Samus with a unique playstyle, I just think that they'd end up being a clone of Samus, which would be unfortunate. As for Ridley, I still don't believe he would happen with Sakurai involved in the project. It's plausible, but very unlikely. With Sylux however, it's a matter of: How big of a role will he really have. If he has a major role and is unique enough, he could easily be fleshed out enough to be granted a spot. If they decided to give him more of a minor role instead though, it's unlikely that he'd even be considered. Speculating on his inclusion is basically like speculating for the story for Metroid Prime 4 at this rate.
Personally, I want Dark Samus to be like Wolf. Specials would be variants of Samus', but all of her other attacks would be original. I think this would be the best case scenario, and of course this is probably wishful thinking, but still. Ridley is definitely in an unfavorable position with Sakurai at the helm, no doubt. But I agree, Sylux is still in a very unsure position right now, how big his role is could determine his viability.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is it bad I want a Little Mac buff even though his ground-game is ridiculously good? Sure, his recovery is supposed to stink and all so it would keep the memo, but the guy did not fare too well. He got nerfed because of the casuals in Smash 4's early time, so I say we give him a buff from Smash 4 to Smash in Switch. Anyone agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom