• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I never really understood why so many people are just obsessed with Ridley. Are they all Metroid fans? I mean I think Ridley is awesome and I've never played a Metroid game in my life, except when my older sister owned Metroid II on Gameboy. But, why are people so crazy about him?
He is a major, well-liked character in a beloved franchise, he's a villain and he is visually distinct and cool looking.

Umm, no? Smash has generally outsold DKC
Nope, the Donkey Kong franchise has had a higher total sales number than Smash.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
For the general audience, I think Sakurai relies on third parties over Nintendo IPs now that the roster is so big.
Damn, that's why Ridley is not playable yet, the roster is too big like him! He should have been on Smash64 god damnit!

:troll:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
"But DK does...

"But DK does have a large number of good, unused characters that easily warrant inclusion in Smash Bros."
I just refreshed the page I was working on it.

Anyway...I agree that DK has more to offer with fun playable characters. Regardless of "representation" or not. Same with Metroid I feel.

IronTed

Smash Ace
He is a major, well-liked character in a beloved franchise, he's a villain and he is visually distinct and cool looking.

Nope, the Donkey Kong franchise has had a higher total sales number than Smash.
Franchise numbers in aggregate are meaningless in this context. DKC has existed for a longer period of time, and has had far more games than Smash.

The fact is, Smash on Wii U and 3DS massively outsold TF and Returns 3D, and Brawl doubled Returns. Game to game comparisons are far more precise.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What do you mean with "hype splash"? xD
This:

PLEASE TRANSLATE THE UNOWN PARTS WHERE YOU'VE ALL BEEN TALKING ABOUT DONKEY KONG CAUSE MY SOUL DEMANDS ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVEN'T DONE THIS SINCE THE SECOND POKEMON MOVIE CAME OUT

GIVE

ME

A

BREAKKKKKK

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Ok I'm not gonna use unown for that because its tedious to type using Unown, but that's a completely different arguement than the one I used.
Honestly...I think it's more of a "name game," y'know? Like a tomato, tomato thing?

Like...you can say characters don't need "representation" because characters should get in on their own merits as characters, and not JUST because their "franchise deserves more." That would be fair; it's shoddy reasoning all on it's own.

But if I use the term "representation" in THIS way; that a series is large enough that it has interesting characters to add and could warrant more given the size of the series, how much is produced of it, and the lack of current characters on the roster for said series, it's also fair reasoning.

...That's what I think anyway.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Partly why I’m glad Ness and Falcon are in Smash. It makes them more well known and popular characters (for example nowadays Captain Falcon is pretty well known as a character thanks to Smash) and with Ness, his game got more exposure and interest on the VC where it was one of the most bought games there.
Yeah, that's a great boon for them - though on the other hand Falcon's in the same state as Morrigan of Darkstalkers, being known more for Smash rather than F-Zero, which can create some confusion here and there. Also personally, wasn't never into Captain Falcon's bombastic character in Smash-games - it kind of got old since fans drove it to death, and how it clashes with his more reserved canon game self.

However, as Mother-franchise has been long been stated to be finished since Mother 3,Ness being in Smash is more or less very fitting today.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So, if we wanna avoid Unown discussion. How about we talk about Captain Toad's chances for Smash Switch? I recently had a large post detailing why I think people should be cautious of being optimistic of his playability, and the discussion that happened turned out to be a pretty tame and fun debate. This was probably one of the few times where I felt, "Man, so this is why speculating in Smash is incredibly rewarding." What do you think?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Did a little digging, seems like this guy actually does have a bit of a history:
-TMNT in Injustice 2
-MP4 being developed by Namco (unconfirmed, but implied by now)
-Has apparently leaked details on SCVI, DBZF, and the like. Along with a follow-up when questioned about Geralt.

There may be more, but I haven't looked that far yet. In general, he does seem to know stuff and has accurately guessed things. I'm still rather skeptical of him I'll admit, but we'll see how this goes.
I've been keeping my tabs on this user, he was able to predict some of the stuff like the above which includes knowing one of the new characters in SCVI as the double-sworded fighter before he was eventually revealed. Looking at the latest leak about the guest characters, I'm not 100% sure about this and its already stated on his post to "take this with a grain of salt."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But if I use the term "representation" in THIS way; that a series is large enough that it has interesting characters to add and could warrant more given the size of the series, how much is produced of it, and the lack of current characters on the roster for said series, it's also fair reasoning.
Characters should get in solely for their own merits. The franchise they're from is irrelevant.
The "size" of the franchise is especially irrelevant. There's a reason as to why Zelda didn't get a newcomer since Melee.

Morbi

Scavenger
Characters should get in solely for their own merits. The franchise they're from is irrelevant.
The "size" of the franchise is especially irrelevant. There's a reason as to why Zelda didn't get a newcomer since Melee.
And what is that reason... Like seriously? Because the characters only appear in one game? That would more or less contradict your overall stance and yet that is the only logical reason that I have ever read.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please stop the Unown text spam. For many it's unreadable and stifles discussion. That, and it's image-only posts which is spam by default.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Unown is the ultimate and hypest character choice and any other character choices are wrong and blasphemous. It is known.
real talk. I don't like unown.

They replaced Beedrill in Melee and then got cut. That's unforgivable.

D

Deleted member

And what is that reason... Like seriously? Because the characters only appear in one game? That would more or less contradict your overall stance and yet that is the only logical reason that I have ever read.
Because there are no notable characters to choose from.
I'm also confused as to why you keep liking posts that you disagree with.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That's not exactly 100% true given that Sakurai confirmed that he does take franchise distribution into consideration. there is also the fact that :4zss: got in Brawl because he wanted more Metroid characters.

I put Zero Suit Samus in thinking I wanted to include more characters from the popular Metroid series. Also, since Smash Bros. has few female characters, I was quite happy to include her.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would argue that Ganon, the main antagonist is a notable character from the series. The problem of two Ganon would make no sense as we have two Link and two Zelda, from that franchise alone. Or Impa, which appears in about half of them.

It is a like button, not an agree button.

?????????????

Smash Master
Some people use likes as an indication they've read something.

I think there are plenty of notable Zelda characters, and I think more of them deserve to be in Smash Bros.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I suppose ideally that would be the case, but that's not always how it works. Sometimes series are chosen and characters are later selected. Sometimes promotion allows/forces a character who otherwise wouldn't be included to be included. Sometimes Sakurai simply thinks "x could use another character". Sometimes characters get in based primarily on their similarity to existing characters. These have all been confirmed methods of inclusion.

Unown is the ultimate and hypest character choice and any other character choices are wrong and blasphemous. It is known.
No joke though I would like them to return as Pokeball Pokemon.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Any argument about Zelda not getting any newcomers because there are no notable characters left pretty much is invalidated by Geno of all characters, a minor Mario character whose only major appearance is in one of Mario's lesser known spin-off games, being seriously considered mainly because Sakurai thought he would be cool. If it weren't for the fact that Geno is owned by Square Enix, we would have seen him as a playable character by now.

D

Deleted member

Welp, that's enough "Official Speculation thread" for me.
I'm over at the newcomers forum if anyone's looking for me, because I'm done with this ****.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I want Unown, Porygon2 and Scizor to return as PokéBall Mons, those three knew how turn the tables in free-for-alls.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I do think Old-School Ganon would be cool. Especially if he was made to look cartoony compared to his human counterpart. Its just one of those things where if they felt like doing it, I think he'd be included already.

But if it ever happened, I wouldn't mad in the slightest.

D

Deleted member

Any argument about Zelda not getting any newcomers because there are no notable characters left pretty much is invalidated by Geno of all characters, a minor Mario character whose only major appearance is in one of Mario's lesser known spin-off games, being seriously considered mainly because Sakurai thought he would be cool. If it weren't for the fact that Geno is owned by Square Enix, we would have seen him as a playable character by now.
Did any one-off Zelda character suddenly grow an inexplicably huge following out of nowhere like Geno did? I doubt it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Exactly. There's probably more to it than we know. The theory that he feels Zelda and Link generally represent the series well(as Ganondorf barely got in) isn't too unbelievable. It probably is more of a case he feels the ones with the Triforce are the only required characters at this point, and anyone else is far less important. But he still shows loves via AT's, Trophies, Music, etc. for multiple games. Many of the "one-offs" get representation in some way. Six Sages somewhat aside. >.>

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
In regards to the current discussion I don't think it goes to the extreme one way or the other as far as franchise representation vs individual character merits are concerned, there's a balance to be found in between that. I think Sakurai certainly takes franchise representation into consideration, but it's more like an additional reason to include a character and never the sole reason. That's why we don't have characters like Ghirahim or Sylux, who would only get in because of the franchises they're from, and also why I feel DKC is underrepresented as it has two very good candidates in K. Rool and Dixie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom