• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
As much as I'd like to watch a couple users fight to the death, making somewhat valid points on both sides but also completely ignoring the opposition's counterpoints, I'd rather just talk about something else.

Hey, Animal Crossing is getting pretty popular! What do you guys think could be done with another character from that franchise in smash?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As much as I'd like to watch a couple users fight to the death, making somewhat valid points on both sides but also completely ignoring the opposition's counterpoints, I'd rather just talk about something else.
Is insulting everyone really talking about something else?
Or is it more like saying "I'm gonna let you have the last word," making the act itself, paradoxical.

If I have ignored any points, please direct me to those points. Don't just imperially say I've missed them and then dismiss the conversation.

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Renember about the Ash-Greninja?
What about this:

Ryouga fused with Zekrom for Smash.
Anyone read Pokemon ReBurst?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Yeah we should change the subject before it turns into something... big.

Anyhow..
We talked about characters and stages yet we haven't talked about items yet (for obvious reasons).
Got any items you'd like to see back? Or perhaps an idea for a new item?

The red shell should return for real tho

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Didn't Sakurai say that he didn't want to make Ridley smaller?
Is it supposed to be irony that a post about Chrom came in the middle of a Ridley conversation?

...two of the only characters Sakurai flat out denied from Smash 4 while explaining why he did?

Anyhow..
We talked about characters and stages yet we haven't talked about items yet (for obvious reasons).

Legitimately, I want to see an item from Pokemon besides the Pokeball.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Corrin gets the axe (doesn't axe beat lance in FE's weapon triangle?), Bandana Dee can get claim the spear impaling side B.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrom coming as newcomer that time? I hope for that.
If Lucina gets reworked to fight a little more like in Awakening, then she can share her spot with Chrom. Just like the female versions of Robin, Corrin and the Wii Fit Trainer.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If Corrin gets the axe (doesn't axe beat lance in FE's weapon triangle?), Bandana Dee can get claim the spear impaling side B.
I mean, Bandana Dee would still be the only one who has it as a projectile.

Plus, I doubt Corrin would get the axe. I think Roy and Lucina have higher chances than her due to being clones (well, somewhat-semi-clone in Roy's case)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Anyhow..

I'm GOING to NEED the Fan back. It should have NEVER left.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice

Anyhow..

I hope Gust Bellows are nerfed

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
"this message is not sad enough ( :060: ), angry enough ( :062: ), or happy enough ( :186: ) to get anything other than :061: "

:061:
I approve of your way of posting.

:007:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm thinking maybe Sakurai didn't put that much consideration into Ridley the last few games, because he just saw him as nothing more than a big ass monster for Samus to fight, and dismissed him as nothing more than a boss character, and didn't look much further into the character.

Remember when Miyamoto suggested Pac-Man to Sakurai and he dismissed him early on thinking the character to be far fetched and just saw him as a incomplete pizza shape?

I think now after the massive outcry the character had during Smash for 3DS/Wii U's development that maybe Sakurai put a lot more consideration into the character, and did more research on him.

I mean the man called Ridley's powered up form in Smash for Wii U "Meta Ridley", he made it so that Ridley would help you if you beat him up enough, and it seems like he thinks Other M Ridley is the same as other versions of Ridley, so I don't think it's a stretch to say he might not be all too familiar with the character.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I'm GOING to NEED the Fan back. It should have NEVER left.
I totally forgot about the fan! It was so cheap yet so satisfying and fun to use on your friends. At least until they started giving you M-rated names for doing it.

Not a lot of people were fan of the fan.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I'm sure it's because Sakurai has been long aware of just how much Smash Bros-series is able to regenerate interest to franchises he includes that might have been obscure to people otherwise, or had sat on dormancy for a long time, and doesn't want to add even more massive pressure on the roster selections he makes due how the entire fandom would demand characters to be included just for their series to be "rescued" from such states.
That'd only get majorly in the way of choosing newcomers mainly on his own criteria of bringing in interesting characters to play for his game, whenever possible.:050:

This already has happened with Kid Icarus since Uprising's release - most people had thought the series had become one of the big IPs to Nintendo during Uprising's impressive marketing period (3 anime clips? Wow) , yet now that game has more or less to lost vocal presence over the years after Smash 4 came out.

It's why I'm glad Toad managed to be rescued from that "cycle" via getting his own game independen from Smash, being announced more than a half year after he was basicaly deconfirmed from Smash 4 due :rosalina: being that game's Mario-newcomer (followed by :4bowserjr: later). And just look how far Toad's come since, being very popular and marketable character Nintendo's been very confident on promoting and pushing him forward even today.

Compare that to the state of :4falcon: and :4pit:. :ohwell:

It's more important that the characters got to have stable interest for new games from Nintendo itself, and Smash Bros shouldn't be banked on that to boost it. It only leads to easy disappointment later.
Partly why I’m glad Ness and Falcon are in Smash. It makes them more well known and popular characters (for example nowadays Captain Falcon is pretty well known as a character thanks to Smash) and with Ness, his game got more exposure and interest on the VC where it was one of the most bought games there.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Has Sakurai set the parameters for 3rd party inclusion? As far as I’m aware they had to be a character who debuted on a video game and has appeared on a Nintendo console.
It's only "debuted in a video game" as the official rule. He does considering being on a Nintendo console something to take into account, of course. But that's more for how easy it is to license them. Them being on a Nintendo console before can make it quite a bit easier since the companies have agreed to stuff before. A 3rd party also has to have a "gaming history"(which many have interpreted as iconic, but it's not that clear regardless).

IronTed

Smash Ace
I totally forgot about the fan! It was so cheap yet so satisfying and fun to use on your friends. At least until they started giving you M-rated names for doing it.

Not a lot of people were fan of the fan.
I loved being the Ice Climbers and getting two fans.

Granted, my friends didn't love it. Not one bit.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If there's anything I'd probably be most interested in seeing, It's probably the stage builder, I don't know if it will be anything like Wii U's stage builder, That one was kind of lacking, even compared to Brawl's stage builder and wasn't implemented too well to where characters could get easily stuck inside of small gaps.

I hope it gets polished up a bit better this time around as it kind of felt like it was rushed imo.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Hey, Animal Crossing is getting pretty popular! What do you guys think could be done with another character from that franchise in smash?
While I love any opportunity to talk about my girl Issy, one that hasn't been mentioned recently is KK Slider. He could have a sound-based moveset that incorporates the different musical instruments, DJ stuff, throwing records frisbee-style, and using the music box scallops. I haven't thought about it hard enough to come up with a well flowing moveset yet but the material's all there.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Honestly, I liked the Fan because you could fake out your friends with the quick, shield-breaking fsmash instead of a jab haha

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Are there any notable characters that people suggested for Smash 4 who are hardly speculated on at all for Smash Switch? I seem to remember people wanting Billy Hatcher for Smash 4 but I might be imagining that.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
You realize he owns his own production studio, right? Nobody is forcing him to work on these titles. It's his choice.
This.

He can quit at any time. I think it's hard for Sakurai to talk about the joys of making Smash because he's done it for so long but also he can't because NNDA

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If there's anything I'd probably be most interested in seeing, It's probably the stage builder, I don't know if it will be anything like Wii U's stage builder, That one was kind of lacking, even compared to Brawl's stage builder and wasn't implemented too well to where characters could get easily stuck inside of small gaps.

I hope it gets polished up a bit better this time around as it kind of felt like it was thrown in late imo.
Honestly, if the stage builder is like smash 4's platform and land creation, but with more custom objects like Brawl's I'd really like it.

Especially if it comes with a couple premade stages.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Are there any notable characters that people suggested for Smash 4 who are hardly speculated on at all for Smash Switch? I seem to remember people wanting Billy Hatcher for Smash 4 but I might be imagining that.
Billy Hatcher? Damn, I would love to see him in Smash too. I don't remember anyone ever really supporting him, though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, if the stage builder is like smash 4's platform and land creation, but with more custom objects like Brawl's I'd really like it.

Especially if it comes with a couple premade stages.
Yeah that's what I really liked about it since it was easier to recreate cut past stages with that. I do hope they implement some shape tools though, like squares, triangle's and circles to make drawing out some land and platforms a bit easier, as well as a copy and paste tool. Would be helpful for some sprite based stages and all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom