• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
It just occured to me.. we've just been assuming the Switch would handle 8 Ice Climbers or 8 Ridleys.. but what about modifications given by items.. What about XXL Ridley. What about "special rules" Smash with 8 XXL Ice Climbers or 8 XXL Ridleys. What about 8 XXL metal Ice Climbers. Maybe the Switch can handle 8 Ice Climbers but not 8 XXL Ice Climbers, thus making a decision of whether cut IC again or cut that match editor thing. That's something to consider..
Was there 8 player Special Smash? I thought they were separate. If so, 8 player Special Smash would be insanely fun

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Oh boy another Ridley leak. I think the answer to that should be obvious.

And there are still people expecting character reveals outside of general directs, Smash directs, E3, and the official site, seriously?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It just occured to me.. we've just been assuming the Switch would handle 8 Ice Climbers or 8 Ridleys.. but what about modifications given by items.. What about XXL Ridley. What about "special rules" Smash with 8 XXL Ice Climbers or 8 XXL Ridleys. What about 8 XXL metal Ice Climbers. Maybe the Switch can handle 8 Ice Climbers but not 8 XXL Ice Climbers, thus making a decision of whether cut IC again or cut that match editor thing. That's something to consider..
I'd wonder what would happen if 16 IC's (Aka 8 Popo's and 8 Nana's) use their down special against each other at the same time, put themselves into a freezing state and then paused the game. Doing this with 8 Lucas's PK freeze is enough to lag the game like crazy...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm not sure 8 Player Smash will return if it ends up restricting what they can do with the game, it made sense with Smash 4 because the 3DS already put even stricter restrictions on the games, but that's obviously not the case this time. If anything I could see it being the opposite, if there are any problems with 8 giant metal curry Popos and 8 giant metal curry Nanas being on the screen at the same time I think they'd just disable certain items in 8 Player Smash, thus restricting the mode instead of the entire game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Daisy got four trophies in Smash 4, which is more than any other NPC in the entire game.
Number of trophies means jack ****
Peach and even Rosalina make several references to her in the clear movie and clear photos,
So what? It's just a reference, plenty of other characters do that.
Daisy has a detailed wig as a Mii hat,
So does Geno
That was my point. If you are going to reference him, why not just use Ash and gain access to a gangsta Squirtle and one of the main reasons anyone ever loved Charizard? I would have kept him out, if it was not obvious, but if you allude to him, why would you not take advantage of that star power? Technically he would be second most deserving behind Pikachu himself.

I guess he could have his cake and eat it too, so there was no reason to dive into that rabbit hole.
Probably because Ash isn't a video game character. He never even showed up in an actual Pokemon game, he's purely a creation of the anime.
Time to change from Ridley is too big mode to Ridley confirmed mode again.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros/76421310
And here we go again...
*Laugh track*
Written and Directed by Mash Potato Samurai

?????????????

Smash Master
I think I'll do a video on Ridley tonight. He was such a BIG topic during last speculation, I had a couple videos solely about him.

Now that they're gone, I should do at least one.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'd love to see Daisy and Dry Bowser appear as clones if they have extra time. That way Mario, Peach, and Bowser (the main cast) will have clones of their owns. Probably not gonna happen though. Unfortunately.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
When it comes to Ridley, and most other characters, I have the "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst" mindset.

Do I want Ridley in Smash? Yes, he's my 4th most wanted character.

Do I think he'll be playable in Smash? No, and the only thing that is going to change my mind will be a reveal or confirmation from Sakurai himself. Not leaks, not rumors, nor my hopes.

That said, I do think he has a stronger chance this time. Judging by the silhouettes in the trailer, there seems to be a larger size difference between Mario and Bowser. If Sakurai has increased the margin of size, then maybe it is large enough to make Ridley work. That, and paired with the disappointment behind him being a stage entity, as well as his performance in the ballot, makes the idea of Ridley finally being playable not too far-fetched.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Man, what is up with all of this Ridley rumoring? This guy has gotten stuff right (and wrong) IIRC, and Ridley is hardly a safe prediction, but still.

It's going to be a long 6-8 months.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
We're not getting anything in the Nindies Showcase. That'd literally undermine every announcement there. This is a time for individual developers to get their games shown off and get some hype behind them. The last thing you'd want is for Smash news to overshadow literally every other announcement.

If Shovel Knight / Shantae / Sans is revealed or even hinted at for Smash on Tuesday's showcase, before we even know what the game looks like or have seen ANY gameplay of it, I'll change all my handles and avatars to "APC was Wrong" until E3.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I have to be honest i'm getting pretty sick of the "Ridley is TOO BIG" meme. It was kind of fun during Brawl but now it's just being repeated over and over and over like every other meme that dies.

On another note, I ended up getting my first Smash Switch related dream. Surprisingly it was pretty safe and doesn't have any extreme characters in it. The only characters in it were Mario, Pikachu, Bayonetta, Link, and Kirby. So very safe characters. The strangest thing thoguh was that there was a trophy section with 47 trophies. Wolf was one of them but for some reason he had a giant gun similar to Falco in Assault and he had armor with giant shoulder pads on.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Man, what is up with all of this Ridley rumoring? This guy has gotten stuff right (and wrong) IIRC, and Ridley is hardly a safe prediction, but still.

It's going to be a long 6-8 months.
Remember Chorus Kids?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Vergeben has got stuff right and he's got stuff wrong. All this seems to imply is that it's likely there's more than a single source running around telling people about Ridley.

We'll see if it pans out.

Nothing else he said in that post surprises me.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's always been so much more than just Ridley's size. His inability to fly around freely was another point brought up. Pretty much every point I ever brought up about Ridley was adressed by Sakurai.

But, if it's not already apparent, Sakurai is willing to change his mind and try his hardest to make things work even if he didn't think they could. But, to EXPECT Ridley to be playable in this game is not exactly wise.

I never really understood why so many people are just obsessed with Ridley. Are they all Metroid fans? I mean I think Ridley is awesome and I've never played a Metroid game in my life, except when my older sister owned Metroid II on Gameboy. But, why are people so crazy about him?

I also never understood why people bring up Bowser's size when talking about Ridley. Bowser's size is very frequently inconsistent in the Mario games where as Ridley's size IS consistent. He's not always the same size, but he's always way bigger than Samus. So how is Bowser's size inconsistency relevant to Ridley in anyway? Same goes for Olimar. His size is purely a canonical thing. He's small from a certain perspective.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My poll now has 155 votes. Here is the top 24 characters, or, everyone who has had more than one vote:

• Bandana Dee (Kirby) 19
  • Ridley (Metroid) 16
  • K.Rool (Donkey Kong) 14
  • Rayman (Rayman) 7
  • Rex (Xenoblade) 7
  • Banjo and Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie) 6
  • ARMS Character (ARMS) 5
  • Midna (Zelda) 5
  • Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot) 4
  • Lyn (Fire Emblem) 4
  • Phoenix Wright (Phoenix Wright) 4
  • Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight) 4
  • Isaac (Golden Sun) 4
  • Wonder Red (Wonderful 101) 3
  • Waluigi (Mario) 3
  • Daisy (Mario) 3
  • Simon Belmont (Castlevania) 3
  • Decidueye (Pokemon) 2
  • Captain Toad (Mario) 2
  • Ganon (Zelda) 2
  • Professor Layton (Professor Layton) 2
  • Brian (Quest 64) 2
  • Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western) 2
  • Knuckles (Sonic) 2

PS tell your friends to vote.
Brian got more than one vote? Heh~ I wonder who the other person was. >.>
I really hope people don't get hyped about Smash info in the Indies direct and then have the forum turn into a salt fest after :'( I remember that happening several times before. Smash would overshadow the entire direct, it would be a really bad move on Nintendo's part to give any Smash info.

We're probably going to have to wait at LEAST a few weeks.
Want to bet a shoe being eaten on it? :troll:

---------------

Re: Ridley Leak Part 2: The Bigging: As usual, grain of salt. At least it sounds somewhat plausible.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can believe a Ridley leak is somewhat feasible. Why? Cause I DO believe Sakurai tried to make Ridley work in Brawl and Smash 4. Moreso with Smash 4, cause that Pyro Sphere appearance does resemble a Smash 4 newcomer's moveset quite a bit, he's just significantly larger than the rest of the cast.

Just look realistically... Ridley already has a workable moveset with his Brawl boss fights and Smash 4 stage boss appearance of sorts.

It just doesn't work with his overall scaling, and the overall nature of Smash Bros. as a game. A traditional fighter might be able to handle it when it's just 1 vs 1 character fights, but since Smash 4 had 8 Player Smash and Smash Bros. has always been a choatic almost 'party fighter' sort of game, Ridley JUST WON'T WORK!

I seriously DOUBT the whole nature of Smash Bros. will just be thrown out of the window for adding just ONE character. This is further implied because of the cut of the Ice Climbers. With a full workable moveset and two Smash appearances prior, they where still removed in favor of 8 Player Smash and the 3DS version.

Now connect the dots. I'll wait.

?????????????

Smash Master
It's always been so much more than just Ridley's size. His inability to fly around freely was another point brought up. Pretty much every point I ever brought up about Ridley was adressed by Sakurai.

But, if it's not already apparent, Sakurai is willing to change his mind and try his hardest to make things work even if he didn't think they could. But, to EXPECT Ridley to be playable in this game is not exactly wise.

I never really understood why so many people are just obsessed with Ridley. Are they all Metroid fans? I mean I think Ridley is awesome and I've never played a Metroid game in my life, except when my older sister owned Metroid II on Gameboy. But, why are people so crazy about him?

I also never understood why people bring up Bowser's size when talking about Ridley. Bowser's size is very frequently inconsistent in the Mario games where as Ridley's size IS consistent. He's not always the same size, but he's always way bigger than Samus. So how is Bowser's size inconsistency relevant to Ridley in anyway? Same goes for Olimar. His size is purely a canonical thing. He's small from a certain perspective.
See, there's already several things I disagree with here...

Flying around freely is not an issue when Kirby and Charizard are already in.

Ridley is easily and by far the most important Metroid character besides Samus, so it's kinda weird not having him.

Ridley has changed sizes. He's had appearances where he's not that much bigger than Samus (yes, he IS always bigger, but I don't think there's inherently a problem with having characters that ARE big).

Pikmin appear in Mario Golf as tiny, insect sizes (like they would be), so we actually see the comparison where Olimar and Pikmin have been greatly increased in size.

...but to me, the biggest point is just what an important part of Metroid he is. I also think it's okay to take creative liberties with fictional characters, and I don't even really think Ridley is that big.

He's no Kraid or Andross.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Brian got more than one vote? Heh~ I wonder who the other person was. >.>

Want to bet a shoe being eaten on it? :troll:

---------------

Re: Ridley Leak Part 2: The Bigging: As usual, grain of salt. At least it sounds somewhat plausible.
Nah, I'm only 99.9999% sure it won't happen.

Now, if someone wanted to bet that they'd announce RIDLEY in the showcase, that I'll take a bet on.

Alright, here's my real prediction on what the roster will look like: (The Q looking symbol is "oldschool" and I think ONE of those might make it in. The "?" Is 3rd Party and I think ONE of those mght make it in. And I forgot Rabbids)

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
More Ridley leaks... Keeping me on my toes, I suppose. I'm not getting hopeful still, though.

As far as my opinion on the Nindie showcase go, I would not be surprised to see Nintendo throw in another Inkling-esque trailer to announce something. No gameplay, just a quick tease of what is to come. We have to remember that there is very limited time to release new information before the games launch, unlike past games. Just how many more opportunities will Nintendo have to broadcast a trailer on a large scale like this before the release anyway?

Directs happen (roughly) every several months. However with E3 approaching, we aren't getting another full Direct til then. From E3 til the end of the year, it's only 6 months. That's roughly TWO non-E3 opportunities IF they release the game in December. But many of us believe it'll come much sooner than that, even in September, which is only 3 months after E3. There could not be a Direct at all between E3 and launch if that's the case.

I think Nintendo will take all opportunities, including the NIndie Showcase, to at least tease the game.

EDIT: I should add that I don't think the character reveal, should one happen, will necessarily be an Indie character. Or even a new character, actually. They could just continue the plot of the Inkling trailer and show the lineup of silhouettes.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Vergeben also "leaked" this a few days ago.

A totally brand new person claiming to having this info got into contact with me recently, so I'm taking this with as much of a grain of salt as you, since they tipped me on things for other games too that I'll talk about later since I'm currently trying to run some of their claims passed people I know who might know given what those include and the companies involved.

But since I haven't been able to confirm or deny this with anyone who might know, I'll put it out there in the event it is true, or until I can get any confirmation or debunk on my end about this.

Anyways, what they claim is that the guest characters for this will be:
Sonic
Tails
Bayonetta
Mega Man
Zero
Phoenix Wright
Snake
Cloud
Noctis
wtf

This man has a weak filtering process.
(different source than the Ridley claims tho)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

wtf

That leak looks like total bunk to me. Lose Ryu and gain Zero? That seems just asinine. I love Zero, but I don't think that someone as big as Ryu will disappear to get Zero instead.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Wonder what will be in the upcoming Nindie showcase. Freedom Planet? Undertale release date? Shovel Knight in Super Smash Bros?

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
Wouldn't it be awesome if we'd get these cool 'Smash Symbol in Eye' reveals a few more times up until E3 where they finally debut Gameplay?

Like, the Sonic event that is in a few hours. Have a teaser with Sonic running just like normal, then have that fiery symbol show up (or for a new Sonic character, but you know what I mean), and then at the upcoming Nindie Showcase, have a 8-Bit version of it where Shovel Knight sees the fiery emblem and gets invited.

Etc etc. Just figured it would be totally hype if that became a thing, since it could show up anywhere at any time. :p
Well, looks like I'll be watching a Sonic Event then.

How cool would it be if teasers came from completely random places though, with all of them starting differently? Like have some 3D or 2D animations that look like they're going to be new game reveals, or even just look like gameplay of the character's game, which then have the main character turning to look at the smash logo.

I have to be honest i'm getting pretty sick of the "Ridley is TOO BIG" meme. It was kind of fun during Brawl but now it's just being repeated over and over and over like every other meme that dies.

On another note, I ended up getting my first Smash Switch related dream. Surprisingly it was pretty safe and doesn't have any extreme characters in it. The only characters in it were Mario, Pikachu, Bayonetta, Link, and Kirby. So very safe characters. The strangest thing thoguh was that there was a trophy section with 47 trophies. Wolf was one of them but for some reason he had a giant gun similar to Falco in Assault and he had armor with giant shoulder pads on.
I already had a dream of Pheonix Wright and Layton getting announced in the same trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

wtf

Two Final Fantasy characters + Snake makes me skeptical as all hell, but Phoenix Wright makes me put a lot of blind, hopeful faith in this leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom