• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
I was looking at Miitopia's Mii costumes and I noticed that the selection seems to be based on popular Nintendo characters from each series. There are only 4 Animal Crossing characters out of the 16 for example.

We have Inkling in Smash....who else haven't we got? Toad and Daisy stick out to me here. Daisy got a costume but not Wario or Diddy Kong? Hmm. Maybe we are sleeping seriously on her chances.

Morbi

Scavenger
I was looking at Miitopia's Mii costumes and I noticed that the selection seems to be based on popular Nintendo characters from each series. There are only 4 Animal Crossing characters out of the 16 for example.

We have Inkling in Smash....who else haven't we got? Toad and Daisy stick out to me here. Daisy got a costume but not Wario or Diddy Kong? Hmm. Maybe we are sleeping seriously on her chances.
I am not sleeping on Daisy's chances, per se. But let us just say that if Lucina was made a clone because she cosplayed as Marth, I am somewhat hesitant to trust that he would consider Daisy a completely separate character. It would be sick, as she is arguably my favorite Mario character (tied with, you guessed it, Waluigi). I definitely feel as though people are overly dismissive of her. However, they have their reasons and, in my opinion, they are fairly good ones despite the fact that I would love to see her.

D

Deleted member

"Greninja is totally gonna be in Pokken, guys, he was in Smash after all!"

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
"Greninja is totally gonna be in Pokken, guys, he was in Smash after all!"
I think that will happen. And Smash is different to Pokken and Nintendo have been giving a lot more love to Daisy recently than before. Namco added her to Mario Kart Arcade recently as a separate character and not a Peach palette swap, and gave her a spot on the front cover in Mario Sports Superstars. She even has a great remix track now ;)

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So something I’ve been wondering is what songs from past games that were not in Smash 4 should return?

Personally I would like to see the Gritzy Desert song from Brawl return.

D

Deleted member

I think that will happen. And Smash is different to Pokken and Nintendo have been giving a lot more love to Daisy recently than before.
That's not my point at all. What I mean is that other crossover choices have no bearing to Smash and vice-versa. People were speculating characters based on the Mii Plaza hats last game, this is nothing new and it means jack ****.

D

Deleted member

So something I’ve been wondering is what songs from past games that were not in Smash 4 should return?

Personally I would like to see the Gritzy Desert song from Brawl return.
Every Metal Gear song, now excuse me while I go cry in a corner

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Honestly I'd just rather get a hazards toggle.
Yes please.

I remember when they revealed "boss" characters. And I was pretty excited about the idea.

Ridley completely ruins Pyrosphere for me. Not a fan of Yellow Devil either.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes please.

I remember when they revealed "boss" characters. And I was pretty excited about the idea.

Ridley completely ruins Pyrosphere for me. Not a fan of Yellow Devil either.
If there was no Yellow Devil, I would probably just play no items, Fox dittos, Wily Castle only. But alas...

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I can see Daisy in a dress being made into an alternate for Peach.

Otherwise, Daisy in a sports outfit could make for a more sporty character, or a replacement for Waluigi's Assist Trophy if he is made playable instead.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ash-Greninja feels like it would work out better as Greninja's Final Smash transformation.
Do people genuinely believe that Ash is going to be included in Smash? They have avoided it for so long. I highly doubt they are going to update Greninja... If he even returns. At least not in that way. In fact, I would not be surprised if that is why they never added him to Pokken either. Fans apparently want it, but it would probably be among the most jarring things to add to a game that makes no direct references to the anime.

I understand that the characters are loosely based on it. Key word there. Just adding Ash's hair to a Greninja sounds crazy to me. Maybe I am the crazy one. Who knows?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Do people genuinely believe that Ash is going to be included in Smash? They have avoided it for so long. I highly doubt they are going to update Greninja... If he even returns. At least not in that way. In fact, I would not be surprised if that is why they never added him to Pokken either. Fans apparently want it, but it would probably be among the most jarring things to add to a game that makes no direct references to the anime.

I understand that the characters are loosely based on it. Key word there. Just adding Ash's hair to a Greninja sounds crazy to me. Maybe I am the crazy one. Who knows?
You don't need to add Ash to have Ash-Greninja. Ash wasn't physically present anywhere in Sun and Moon, but Ash-Greninja still showed up, and it's a form that boosts Greninja's power similar to a Mega, so...

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'm actually kind of torn on Ash-Greninja. He doesn't have any exclusive moves or abilities, and most of the changes are simply cosmetic.

I'd personally add him as either an alternate costume, or have him turn into Ash-Greninja during his Secret Ninja Attack.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Wouldn't it be awesome if we'd get these cool 'Smash Symbol in Eye' reveals a few more times up until E3 where they finally debut Gameplay?

Like, the Sonic event that is in a few hours. Have a teaser with Sonic running just like normal, then have that fiery symbol show up (or for a new Sonic character, but you know what I mean), and then at the upcoming Nindie Showcase, have a 8-Bit version of it where Shovel Knight sees the fiery emblem and gets invited.

Etc etc. Just figured it would be totally hype if that became a thing, since it could show up anywhere at any time. :p

Morbi

Scavenger
You don't need to add Ash to have Ash-Greninja. Ash wasn't physically present anywhere in Sun and Moon, but Ash-Greninja still showed up, and it's a form that boosts Greninja's power similar to a Mega, so...
What? You do not need Ash to have ASH-Greninja? Really? Color me surprised. It literally has a Ash's weave! Sort of hard to ignore that correlation.

I am not saying that he needs to be in the background or anything, but he is inherently in Smash if Greninja turns into a Power Ranger, only instead of a color swap, he becomes an generic anime character that does not age.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'm actually kind of torn on Ash-Greninja. He doesn't have any exclusive moves or abilities, and most of the changes are simply cosmetic.

I'd personally add him as either an alternate costume, or have him turn into Ash-Greninja during his Secret Ninja Attack.
Honestly, I think I'd prefer the latter.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I mean, he was referenced in Pokemon Trainer's trophy...

Eitherway, Ash himself did not appear in the Sun and Moon games (Outside of that one cameo in Mimikyu's trial) but Greninja could still access that form if it had the battle bond ability.

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Imo this is a probable list of what might happen in terms of new characters
> 1 Arms character (Probs Ribbon girl)
> 1 Xenoblade 2 character (Probs Rex or Pyra or the two together as one character)
> 2-3 random characters from other nintendo games (kinda like how in smash 4 we got villager/wii fit/dhd, who knows who these could be...*fingers crossed for a certain dino digger*
> 1-2 3rd party (Rayman, Crash, etc have a chance. Who knows whatll happen tho)
> MAYBE 1 indie character which would be shovel knight but I doubt itll happen, but considering SK has had 4 amiibo now it wouldnt shock me at all
> 2-3 returning characters. (Most likely wolf and ice climbers)
> 2-3 clone chars.

So around 10ish newcomers. 10ish new chars sound decent.

These are just my assumptions going off of how the previous games have handled new characters.

But still who knows? Sakurai is crazy and can do whatever he wants in the end.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
D

Deleted member

Daisy wasn't even a proper costume for Peach, just a palette swap.
Considering how many costumes of different characters we got(3 of which were promoted to fully playable), it says a lot about Sakurai's views on Daisy.

Morbi

Scavenger
I mean, he was referenced in Pokemon Trainer's trophy...

Eitherway, Ash himself did not appear in the Sun and Moon games (Outside of that one cameo in Mimikyu's trial) but Greninja could still access that form if it had the battle bond ability.
In that case, barrier shattered, I suppose. I do not read trophy descriptions because the internet exists. I guess that decision paid off. Might as well have just called Pokemon Trainer Ash in that event. "But you get to be the Pokemon master..." Yeah, yeah, yeah. I would rather have played Ash's Squirtle and Charizard, quite frankly.

D

Deleted member

In that case, barrier shattered, I suppose. I do not read trophy descriptions because the internet exists. I guess that decision paid off. Might as well have just called Pokemon Trainer Ash in that event. "But you get to be the Pokemon master..." Yeah, yeah, yeah. I would rather have played Ash's Squirtle and Charizard, quite frankly.
But Pokemon Trainer isn't Ash, they don't even look similar.

Should just have called him Red tbh, it's one of the few canonized player trainer names thanks to Johto

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Daisy wasn't even a proper costume for Peach, just a palette swap.
Considering how many costumes of different characters we got(3 of which were promoted to fully playable), it says a lot about Sakurai's views on Daisy.
Daisy got four trophies in Smash 4, which is more than any other NPC in the entire game. Peach and even Rosalina make several references to her in the clear movie and clear photos, and Daisy has a detailed wig as a Mii hat, which turned out to be a new model and not a model rip from StreetPass Mii Plaza.

I think that the main reason why Daisy wasn't an alt is because it simply does not do her character justice.

Morbi

Scavenger
But Pokemon Trainer isn't Ash, they don't even look similar.

Should just have called him Red tbh, it's one of the few canonized player trainer names thanks to Johto
That was my point. If you are going to reference him, why not just use Ash and gain access to a gangsta Squirtle and one of the main reasons anyone ever loved Charizard? I would have kept him out, if it was not obvious, but if you allude to him, why would you not take advantage of that star power? Technically he would be second most deserving behind Pikachu himself.

I guess he could have his cake and eat it too, so there was no reason to dive into that rabbit hole.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

My thoughts on Ash-Greninja would be that it would operate in the same manner as Giga Bowser, Wario-Man, Giga Mac, and Mega Lucario.

However, Ash-Greninja would have more in common with Wario-Man and Mega Lucario in that it can use items, and be affected by size-changing items. As a result, its power boost would be far less significant than what Giga Bowser and Giga Mac would receive.

In terms of Ash-Greninja's attributes, the base damage of its attacks would be roughly 1.25x the strength of Greninja's attacks (for an example, Ash-Greninja's forward smash would deal 17.5% damage, instead of the original 14% damage). It would also have infinite super armor, and be immune to grabs, but it would still take damage (with the damage taken being cut in half), and the damage that it takes reduces the duration of the Final Smash.

On an additional note, Ash-Greninja can use the same custom special moves as Greninja; a trait that it would share with Mega Lucario.

Other Attributes
  • Walk Speed: 1.7
  • Run Speed: 3.25
  • Air Speed: 2
  • Falling Speed: 2.5
  • Fast-Falling Speed: 3.5

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Here's something else we can do. List 5 stages you expect to see in Smash Switch. I'm thinking:

New Donk City
Hyrule Kingdom (BotW)
Urchin Underpass
Spring Stadium
Ultra Space
Since I don't know what new stages they could add because I barely know the Switch's games yet, instead I'm gonna list my top 5 stages I want to come back, if you don't mind:

-Hyrule Temple
-Fourside
-Corneria
-Great Bay
-Hyrule Castle :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That was my point. If you are going to reference him, why not just use Ash and gain access to a gangsta Squirtle and one of the main reasons anyone ever loved Charizard? I would have kept him out, if it was not obvious, but if you allude to him, why would you not take advantage of that star power? Technically he would be second most deserving behind Pikachu himself.

I guess he could have his cake and eat it too, so there was no reason to dive into that rabbit hole.
They kind of made Charizard behave a bit more like Ash's Charizard in Smash 4, having a bit more of a snarky grin rather than the serious face it had in Brawl, which was a bit more in line with Ash's Charizard in the post Orange Island anime. Even Pikachu's facial expressions are more in line with Ash's Pikachu. It wouldn't surprise me too much that if Greninja returns, that it would get some traits from Ash's Greninja as well. Likewise for Squirtle.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Since I don't know what new stages they could add because I barely know the Switch's games yet, instead I'm gonna list my top 5 stages I want to come back, if you don't mind:

-Hyrule Temple
-Fourside
-Corneria
-Great Bay
-Hyrule Castle :)
That would very nearly be my top 5. I would just replace Fourside (I love its visuals and soundtrack, and I am playing Earthbound for the first time, just about to get there, so I have nothing against it) with Mute City, from Melee.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I think that the main reason why Daisy wasn't an alt is because it simply does not do her character justice.
I don't get this line of reasoning. I would feel like if you want them to do her justice, her being an alt would be better than just a color palette and a bunch of trophies, since an alt, like Alph, would be called the actual character's name and actually be that character instead of just a color referencing her on Peach.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They kind of made Charizard behave a bit more like Ash's Charizard in Smash 4, having a bit more of a snarky grin rather than the serious face it had in Brawl, which was a bit more in line with Ash's Charizard in the post Orange Island anime. Even Pikachu's facial expressions are more in line with Ash's Pikachu. It wouldn't surprise me too much that if Greninja returns, that it would get some traits from Ash's Greninja as well.
The nature of Smash 3DS / Wii U also adds to the personality changes for the Pokemon veterans.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom