• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This was the third time Sakurai has been brought back to do more Smash after apparently finishing with the series. Sure it's a lot of work, and Sakurai's work ethic seems second to none, but while he obviously must feel ownership over the series, he dropped Kirby, so I suspect if he truly wasn't enjoying himself, he'd opt to work or not work elsewhere. He's not so shortsighted as to know eventually the series will carry on without him.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'm thinking maybe Sakurai didn't put that much consideration into Ridley the last few games, because he just saw him as nothing more than a big *** monster for Samus to fight, and dismissed him as nothing more than a boss character, and didn't look much further into the character.

Remember when Miyamoto suggested Pac-Man to Sakurai and he dismissed him early on thinking the character to be far fetched and just saw him as a incomplete pizza shape?

I think now after the massive outcry the character had during Smash for 3DS/Wii U's development that maybe Sakurai put a lot more consideration into the character, and did more research on him.

I mean the man called Ridley's powered up form in Smash for Wii U "Meta Ridley", he made it so that Ridley would help you if you beat him up enough, and it seems like he thinks Other M Ridley is the same as other versions of Ridley, so I don't think it's a stretch to say he might not be all too familiar with the character.
One benefit to not having Ridley added in Smash 4 is we dodged being stuck with that sketchy "Other M" design for the character. Hopefully if he's added in future it'll be more along the lines of the Prime/Returns design.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I was out most of the day and looking back there seems to have been another Ridley "leak". Can anyone catch me up on that?

We may need to start up the rumor archive again. Anyone remember that thread?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Turns out the film is actually a 1 minute clip that starts off with her trying to find some ancient treasure, dodging traps and then seeing the smash logo.
I was hoping that smash was the end credit scene :)

Actually... THAT would be gargantuan.

I was out most of the day and looking back there seems to have been another Ridley "leak". Can anyone catch me up on that?

We may need to start up the rumor archive again. Anyone remember that thread?
I've asked this a couple of times but have only gotten people responding with how unlikely it is.
Completely ignoring the fun side of "leaks."

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Which Nintendo character is left that would make the biggest positive hype splash?

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm thinking maybe Sakurai didn't put that much consideration into Ridley the last few games, because he just saw him as nothing more than a big *** monster for Samus to fight, and dismissed him as nothing more than a boss character, and didn't look much further into the character.

Remember when Miyamoto suggested Pac-Man to Sakurai and he dismissed him early on thinking the character to be far fetched and just saw him as a incomplete pizza shape?

I think now after the massive outcry the character had during Smash for 3DS/Wii U's development that maybe Sakurai put a lot more consideration into the character, and did more research on him.

I mean the man called Ridley's powered up form in Smash for Wii U "Meta Ridley", he made it so that Ridley would help you if you beat him up enough, and it seems like he thinks Other M Ridley is the same as other versions of Ridley, so I don't think it's a stretch to say he might not be all too familiar with the character.
Honestly this.

Sakurai has gone back on his choices to make characters not playable, multiple times. He's said both Villager and Miis wouldn't work in Brawl, yet added them in Smash 4.

He also said the last three Smash games would be his last.

Not saying Ridley is guaranteed. Just saying that Ridley isn't out of the question just because Sakurai said no almost theee years ago.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Which Nintendo character is left that would make the biggest positive hype splash?
That's an nteresting question. It goes to show that we really have gotten great representation when it comes to Nintendo icons. I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of any huge Nintendo names that would cause a "wow" reaction if they were in Smash. (Not talking about OUR reaction on Smashboards, but more "general" fans)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
One benefit to not having Ridley added in Smash 4 is we dodged being stuck with that sketchy "Other M" design for the character. Hopefully if he's added in future it'll be more along the lines of the Prime/Returns design.
If he had gotten in I imagine his design would be updated in future games, much like what happens with Samus. Granted Ridley's designs change much more drastically from game to game.

I think in order to make it at all Ridley would need a custom design, a sort of amalgation of some of his different designs that take different pieces that best fit within Smash's restrictions, I don't think there's one design that clearly works on all fronts.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post
Uh oh guys. Bad news.

My super real uncle who totally works on Smash brothers at Nintendo said that sheik and zero suit weren’t being cut completely, just heavily buffed, removed from the roster, and turned into Zelda and Samus’ final smashes.

Sorry to anyone who mained Sheik or Zero Suit, but my super real uncle who’s totally real and I won’t say you’re a total idiot if you believe this post and the team seem to think it’s a small enough part of the Smash community that it will go unnoticed.

:troll:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool most likely. I still believe he's far more well known than Ridley. Why? The overall sales and availability of DKC compared to Metroid.

No seriously, look it up, DKC sells more than Smash Bros. itself.

Which is why it's such a sin to have neglected this wonderful franchise with only DK and Diddy. And Diddy came extremely late as well. :4dk::4diddy:

D

Deleted member

Yeah your right and he does own the series, I do hope he gets to work on oher projects still but he did come back for this, and is working to make it a big hit. (Which it will be.) So the man is fine hopefully ether way. Character that could make a big splash? Maybe Impa?

Last edited by a moderator:

IronTed

Smash Ace
King K.Rool most likely. I still believe he's far more well known than Ridley. Why? The overall sales and availability of DKC compared to Metroid.

Which is why it's such a sin to have neglected this wonderful franchise with only DK and Diddy. And Diddy came extremely late as well. :4dk::4diddy:
Umm, no? Smash has generally outsold DKC. N64 is the only platform they've had comparable sales to each other.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I once had a dream during Smash 4 speculation that Samus explored the Pyrosphere, hears clanking of metal boots from the infamous hole.
As it approached, its eyes started to shine bright red, revealing Fils-A-Mech.

Fils-A-Mech and Samus' fight is seen in birds-eye view first as they were matching in power, but suddenly the camera switches to Fils-A-Mech'a perspective: showing that rising from the lava, Ridley appears behind Samus

I still think "Double Trailers" would be cool, especially since the hype cycle of this game is pretty condensed anyway. It's all gonna happen in nine months max.

It's like we're expecting a little Smash baby

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
At this point, most of the icons are in. That's kind of why some of the last few reveals that were really hype were Mega Man, Cloud and Bayo. I would say Ryu, but he was leaked so less people cared than they should have, even though I really like him in the game. Inklings would have done the trick, but the announcement of the game itself is more hype if you ask me.

Maybe Spring Man? I doubt he'll have the same reaction as Little Mac getting in for the first time.

Going by what's popular in the west, Ridley or K.Rool would seem like obvious choices. As would Waluigi for the memes. Though Xenoblade 2 is pretty popular, so Rex and Pyra would probably bring some hype. I don't know what Japan really wants at this point.

Unless it's Dark Samus. Because she's got 40 fans, and I'm one of them.

Cranky Kong.
Nevermind, this is the answer.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
I started to make a list of who I thought would be cut. I honestly can't think of anyone. Sakurai doesn't mind clones, and they're so easy to implement, that I don't see any reason to cut them. The only possibilities in my mind, are the 3rd party characters. I imagine if those licenses are hard to get, they could be cut. But I bet he wants to bring all of them back, if possible.

I can't imagine any of the non clone, non 3rd parties getting cut.

I think a few franchises will get new characters:

Mario
Starfox (I think Wolf did okay on the poll, I bet he's coming back, and he was a more unique "semi clone")
Pokemon
Fire Emblem
"WTF" character
"Retro"
mario and fire emblem do not need another character. give that to the series that really need more representation such DK and metroid.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
This was the third time Sakurai has been brought back to do more Smash after apparently finishing with the series. Sure it's a lot of work, and Sakurai's work ethic seems second to none, but while he obviously must feel ownership over the series, he dropped Kirby, so I suspect if he truly wasn't enjoying himself, he'd opt to work or not work elsewhere. He's not so shortsighted as to know eventually the series will carry on without him.
Sakurai dropped Kirby?? Didn't know about that. No wonder so many Kirby games have been made these years.

D

Deleted member

In the Smash community? Ridley definitely would create the most hype out of anyone.
To a more general audience? **** if I know but it certainly isn't Ridley nor K.Rool.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
I don't get this line of reasoning. I would feel like if you want them to do her justice, her being an alt would be better than just a color palette and a bunch of trophies, since an alt, like Alph, would be called the actual character's name and actually be that character instead of just a color referencing her on Peach.
Daisy would move and act exactly the same as Peach would if she was an alt. At least a clone allows creative liberties. Plus Daisy's amiibo is recognised as a different character already so it wouldn't work.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

Noooooooooo...
I did look it up.

1) From what I found
• DK is #5 but with 30+ titles
• Smash #7 made from 5 titles
• Metroid is #14 from 11 titles

As you can see, it's good, but the massive amount of games warp the results a bit. Brawl is in the top 40 sales for Nintendo all time, DK makes no appearance.

2) Most of those sales for DK are from games that K. Rool isn't even in, while Ridley has been in all but a few Metroid titles.

I'm not saying it's all or nothing, and I'd love Rool in as well. But I think Ridley is the bigger fish at this point.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For those of you who don't care to read Unown, this says "No franchise needs more representation".
Thanks, but I disagree heavily.

DKC
StarFox
Zelda
Possibly Kirby

That are old skool franchises from the beginning of Smash Bros. that heavily need a newcomer. If not, why did Mario got them in Smash 4 when it was argubly "complete" anyway?

Also it's a given that Pokemon and Fire Emblem will see new faces. And just about as likely we'll get a new Xenoblade character just the same.

You'll find out during this whole new speculative era that am one of the most argeeable here :awesome:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
In the Smash community? Ridley definitely would create the most hype out of anyone.
To a more general audience? **** if I know but it certainly isn't Ridley nor K.Rool.
For the general audience, I think Sakurai relies on third parties over Nintendo IPs now that the roster is so big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom