• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
I can't find it at the moment (it was posted on 4chan within the last 3 hours for sure, so probably in an archive currently) but Nintendo likely freaked out about the blog post memory for Mach Rider along with the series symbol, that could only have come from someone with deep internal ties to the project. If the leak is real, mach rider is in. If mach rider is in, that blog memory post could also have been real and what freaked Nintendo out, because at that point if your retro WTF character is leaked then at any moment the rest could come flooding out.

Mark my words, this is our base roster. The leak is real, going all-in on this.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
papagenos papagenos Incredibly bad move featuring every character in your thumbnail
Spoils every character even for those who don't want spoilers
I am sorry, but it is how ALL of my thumbnails have been.

Just like any other leak video ive done, this ones still up in the air. ill never put THE images of a leak in the thumbnail, like the banner or a screenshot of an unrevealed fighter buuuut ive always made the thumbnails like this whether or not the leak seemed THIS likely, so its only a spoiler if you were to watch and determine it does have a ton of credibility otherwise its like any other one of my video thumbnails. Box Theory existed and my thumbnail for that showed Ken Incineroar and Geno (possible dlc with that leak) and i didnt hear outcries to change it then.

last week i thought sassy geno was real, it got debunked. right now i think this is real but...who knows what we'll get in the end.

I understand the concern but i made the thumbnail like any video i do and maybe I should change it NOW (as the leak seems highly likely) but when I put it up at 730am this morning the leak was just "credible" through out the day its gotten more and more likely so maybe I will change the thumbnail though i feel the damage is done IF this one is real...

But I stand by the fact any of my other thumbnails about leaks could have been "real" too and no one complained then and my own RULE was to just use already existing character images and not anything from an image leak itself in the thumbnails.

The only time I did use an image leak in the thumbnail was with "sassy geno" AFTER it was debunked, the video was about why it was debunked.

Again I'm sorry but know I wasnt trying to spoil anything and its only MORE of a spoiler than any other thumbnail i've ever done because this one is gaining credibility.

D

Deleted member

Hm, one more character of this leak or one more character in Smash Ultimate? I am really confuse here.
He's stated that it's either this entire leak is fake because that one character isn't there, or, it IS real, but it's a different mural, and the character might be revealed at a later date, which corroborates with his sources saying there's a Game Awards reveal for Smash Ultimate DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
You don't need to read the thread to catch up.

Just see this.

And watch this.

And you're just about caught up. Any more details you want, well, feel free to sift through the dumpster fire.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
The thing is, Spawn has said his sources aren't Incineroar. He knows 100% for sure there's one more character, so he might drop that info in the Rumor Wave while he's giving his opinion, thus inadvertently keeping the streak going by just a hair.
But still, why is DLC an impossibility? Unless his evidence is something tangible and damning, all I see is "well there's someone I know not there." Could very well be that this mystery character isn't on the base roster.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

Just like any other leak video ive done, this ones still up in the air. ill never put THE images of a leak in the thumbnail, like the banner or a screenshot of an unrevealed fighter buuuut ive always made the thumbnails like this whether or not the leak seemed THIS likely, so its only a spoiler if you were to watch and determine it does have a ton of credibility otherwise its like any other one of my video thumbnails. Box Theory existed and my thumbnail for that showed Ken Incineroar and Geno (possible dlc with that leak) and i didnt hear outcries to change it then.

last week i thought sassy geno was real, it got debunked. right now i think this is real but...who knows what we'll get in the end.

I understand the concern but i made the thumbnail like any video i do and maybe I should change it NOW (as the leak seems highly likely) but when I put it up at 730am this morning the leak was just "credible" through out the day its gotten more and more likely so maybe I will change the thumbnail though i feel the damage is done IF this one is real...

But I stand by the fact any of my other thumbnails about leaks could have been "real" too and no one complained then and my own RULE was to just use already existing character images and not anything from an image leak itself in the thumbnails.

The only time I did use an image leak in the thumbnail was with "sassy geno" AFTER it was debunked, the video was about why it was debunked.

Again I'm sorry but know I wasnt trying to spoil anything and its only MORE of a spoiler than any other thumbnail i've ever done because this one is gaining credibility.
hey buddy breathe in you're doing the best job you can :0) you got this

Figured, because then you'd be Fatmanondiscord.

toaster im ded

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Oh...
I guess that's it then...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say, when responding about Incineroar, saying he's one, but was referring to the other? Thought that implied he thought both were in.

EDIT: Link

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
He's stated that it's either this entire leak is fake because that one character isn't there, or, it IS real, but it's a different mural, and the character might be revealed at a later date, which corroborates with his sources saying there's a Game Awards reveal for Smash Ultimate DLC.
No, he said he THINKS it's fake, not that it's fake.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
You don't need to read the thread to catch up.

Just see this.

And watch this.

And you're just about caught up. Any more details you want, well, feel free to sift through the dumpster fire.
can we torch this dumpster fire further

WHAT OTHER GAMES YA PLAYIN

But still, why is DLC an impossibility? Unless his evidence is something tangible and damning, all I see is "well there's someone I know not there." Could very well be that this mystery character isn't on the base roster.
did you ever say hi i can't remember

my notifications are blowing up faster than ever

Noipoi

Howdy!

It's not that bad, man. You're doing fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say, when responding about Incineroar, saying he's one, but was referring to the other? Thought that implied he thought both were in.
This is the first i'm hearing about this.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I respect but don't actively watch your videos so I wouldn't be aware of how your thumbnails work. However I mean, a random person scrolling by wouldn't be familiar with your thumbnails, no?

Just changing it now and learning for the future is really all I'd be concerned about. Didn't mean to attack you, I just understand a lot of people have been spoiled due to thumbnails.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
A common counterpoint to this leak is that Nintendo is handling their own marketing for the game, not Namco Bandai. That's a fair point.
BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE THE ONES PRINTING IT
Why wouldn't Nintendo tell a French company to print the materials they're going to use in France? That way they don't have to ship in each individual item, they don't have to go through customs, they don't have to worry about any potentially applicable tariffs, etc. They're going to need HUNDREDS of individual pieces of promotional materials just for the tiny country of France, so why bother printing it in Japan and shipping it over when you can have Frenchmen at least print the product and assemble it for less?
Sure, this guy was a graphic designer. That doesn't mean he was the one working on and completing the banner. It's entirely possible that he was just in charge of checking the final products before it shipped: he's a graphic designer, it could be part of his job to make sure everything printed correctly.
But wouldn't Nintendo already have a go-to company for printing in France/Europe? And if they did, they'd probably be listed as a regular customer.

For ****'s sake I guess no matter how many times I say it I can't reach everyone.

Sakurai. Has said. The same remark. About fewer new characters. In both Brawl, And Smash 4.

The man lives. To overperform. And surpass expectations.

The man. Will undersell. Intentionally.

Smash Ultimate. Literally IS. A wish fulfillment game.

To sweep all the evidence under a rug of 'people just want it to be real' is blatantly dismissive. I have no stakes in any of these characters and I find the evidence overwhelming, and can only see cries of 'no way!' from the detractors with no tangible evidence presented against it.
What evidence, really? Everything hinges off the assumption that it's real; assume it's fake, and all that "evidence" is easily explained.

They cancel eachother out, leaving you with a liberal interpretation of something Sakurai's stressed (for Brawl and Smash 4 they were one-off remarks early in the publicity cycle, with at least the quote in regards to 4 not even mentioning characters-- just "reaching the limits of what they could do") and a roster that's blatant wish fulfillment (Ridley's been a meme for over a decade and K. Rool was likely the actual Ballot winner; aside from that, what do we have in the way of newcomers pointing to that? Konami seems interested in bringing back Castlevania, what with the Netflix series, upcoming port collection and mobile game, and of course including Simon and Richter in Smash; aside from that, you have easy clones and then the far more recent Inkling and Isabelle).

I'd think people would have a bit of skepticism days after Sassy Geno got blown apart, but as is being demonstrated most are content to hedge all their bets instead of having a healthy amount of skepticism. I shudder to see what reactions will be to the Smash Direct if something doesn't come out that decisively debunks this.

Untouch

Smash Master

Did he ever say that his sources told him a reveal was going on at the VGAs or that he thinks that's when it's happening.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
The thing is, Spawn has said his sources aren't Incineroar. He knows 100% for sure there's one more character, so he might drop that info in the Rumor Wave while he's giving his opinion, thus inadvertently keeping the streak going by just a hair.
But the tweet said "Incineroar is one." Isn't that referring to that Incineroar is one of the characters missing from the mural?

Tweet for reference:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I too prefer Tails to Shadow. Not going to lie, I like Shadow for his design and abilities more than anything else so I’m cool with him but I grew up with the classics so I’m more partial to Tails and Knuckles. That little mutant knowitall in particular needs an upgrade from a mere background element; Knuckles got upgraded to assist, Shadow presumably gets upgraded to playable and... Tails is in the background still?

He may not be a lot of people’s cup of tea lately (thanks Unleashed/Lost World/Forces for making him a whiny, scared ****) but at least you can say he’s always been there and is THE player 2 of the franchise.
  • Almost as old as the Blue Blur himself
  • Debuting in the game (Sonic 2) that became the best selling game on its global release giving it enormous media coverage as well as putting Sega next to Nintendo in total market share.
  • only missed 3 games since his debut.
  • Has 3 games of his own. Hell in two of them he defended whole islands from villainy on his own and took on an entire army.
  • One of the most popular sidekicks in gaming history. He is Sonic’s Luigi.
I know how people feel about saying characters “deserve” things but Tails I feel should at least get more than a cameo just due to his history.
Yeah I have to agree it is odd, and I think having Tails and Shadow here would cover two of the largest parts of Sonic history.
Ok, bored of this thread so I will do what the other guy did and rate the characters:

Mach Rider - 10: I'm old, so I owned, played, and liked this game a lot. Anything retro is up my alley and I'm sure I will be playing him/her. I like the idea of an all bike mechanic if true.

Banjo-Kazooie - 9.5: I remember the dead period in 1998 after Yoshi's Story and before Ocarina of Time in November. I needed something to fill the void and BK was it (along with Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon--highly underrated N64 game). I dumped endless hours into the game until I hit 100%. Never actually beat Tooie. Maybe on the bucket list, but so busy these days (should be working right now, really, but so hyped), I'm behind about ten years with a few exceptions on gaming in general.

Chorus Kids - 9: I haven't played Rhythm Heaven and that's a travesty, but I love the creativity behind multi-character mechanics and I'm excited to see how these guys play.

Geno - 7: I liked Mario RPG well enough. Never been an RPG gamer, but I was able to get through this one. It's been close to 20 years since I played it, so my memories are fuzzy at this point. I do remember enjoying the character.

Isaac - 6: I played the original Golden Sun and, again, not big on RPGs. Didn't hate it, didn't love it, wasn't left with too many memories.

Ken - 4: I like seeing more representation, but renaming clones "echoes" doesn't work on me. I still feel a character should get his or her due or stick to being an assist trophy.

Shadow - 1: Is anybody here old enough to remember the travesty that was the Shadow GameCube game? And how shamelessly it tried to distinguish itself as "not kiddy" by giving him guns? I don't know why anybody cares about this character. Tails is a much better fit for a clone and they could change him up slightly by giving him some limited flight mechanics.
Your attitude towards Shadow is one thing, but thinking Tails would be a better echo is another. His body proportions do NOT match Sonic at all, and if Isabelle wasn’t an Echo despite her similarities to Villager then why would Tails be?
Yo , we can actualy put the SMBZ team with Shadow now!
This. This is what it’s all been leading up to.
Yeah that's the same because Shadow went on to have so many successful fleshed out solo outings. Oh wait. But I guess he had many more memorable moments as Sonic's sidekick. Oh wait.

No. Shadow is a garbage character and the only reason he is in is because he can be construed as a villain or at least "dark" sonic, but overall a damned waste of space and Tails would be a more interesting character with more relevance.
You act like Tails is some sort of saint when his character has been represented terribly for the past decade of Sonic games as a know-it-all, bratty, self-entitled coward. He’s gone completely backwards in terms of development, while Shadow has been consistent since his game (in fact he was probably the best-written character in Forces).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I know this spawn guy is creditable but taking him as gospel is a bad idea

Not every insider knows everything and can be wrong a hot streak doesn’t mean spawn always right.

Vergeben has nothing wrong so far but did he know about :ultpichu::ultwolf:,squirtle ,ivysaur,:ultyounglink::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultdaisy: likely not

I mean him claim fake is his opinion and he said a week or two is when his proof happens that’s just biding for a Nintendo direct to deconfirm it he may embarrass himself and it ends up showing one of the characters and the placement on the banner is just inches away from dead on

And his one more character that could just be dlc character

D

Deleted member

No, he said he THINKS it's fake, not that it's fake.
Did you not read the tweet I JUST put in my previous response?

He's stated before that his sources are saying there'll be a reveal for Smash Ultimate DLC at The Game Awards, so it could very well be that.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
But the tweet said "Incineroar is one." Isn't that referring to that Incineroar is one of the characters missing from the mural?

Tweet for reference:
I honestly interpreted that as "Incineroar is someone I expected in but I'm not talking about him"
As in just a conjecture

Who knows

D

Deleted member

The problem with that is the lack of detail. It's been shown (in this thread) that characters can be convincingly erased from their positions.

The Grinch renders are what will make or break it. If they start showing up, it's real. If they don't then there's nothing saying that the creator can't make a convincing Grinch image. After all, we do have this:

So until I see the updated banner I'm 50/50.
What makes it credible isn't, and has never been the art. No **** that's easy to fake. What makes it credible is all the circumstances surrounding the leak. Most notably, the time frame too. WE'RE seeing the leaked images now, but from the looks of things, that Snapchat video is from at least a month ago. There was a 4chan post back in september (the Chadnondorf one) that confirmed the exact characters to a T, and offered NO proof at all. Meaning, SOMEONE had come across this leak (probably in its video form, in the discord group that Eric was in), at least one whole month before any of ever got to see the screens surface. That gives Eric plenty to time to find a new job, let things sit, etc... There's just too many odd circumstancial things that further validate the leak, that would take an insane level of foresight to plan. Like, really? Someone also faked some Grinch promo material just to further validate things? It's such a random thing, that someone trying to make a convincing fake leak would never even think of, cause it's just so unrelated to the topic at hand.

D

Deleted member

Tweet for reference:
I'm pretty sure he mentioned Incineroar as a "possible guess", otherwise, wouldn't he mention the character alongside Incineroar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom