• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
One theory I devised if this is real is that this mural is merely the final design with all the planned DLC fighters in mind. However, what is disconcerting is the lack of Incineroar. I can easily believe that the final two newcomers are Ken and Incineroar, and that the planned set of newcomers are Shadow, Banjo-Kazooie, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Geno, and Isaac. Six newcomers as DLC almost matches the amount of total characters we received as DLC for Smash 4.
I mean...
We got six characters as DLC on a dying console while Ultimate was going into development, and you expect seven total as DLC for a thriving console with development entirely dedicated to it? Including 2 clones?

D

Deleted member

More proof
There was a problem fetching the tweet
None of that's ironclad, though.

It's the same level of pattern building and theorising that people gave the Box Theory and people who believe it crud for.

Interesting how this one is okay, though, because it has characters that are liked in it...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also theme of this leak discussion between the "leakers" that think this isn't real and those that do:

Potato_

Smash Lord
All the insiders being so iffy on the leak is curious, have to admit. I've seen some deconfirm it and some go along with it, but a common thread seems to be that it's missing something. Really want to see what Vergeben has to say on it.

I'm still cautious about fully committing to this train, despite all the stuff it has going for it. The previously mentioned insiders are making me wary on getting too excited over this.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Actually, does anyone have a solid answer as to what the figure above "Ken" is. Because Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 said it looks like Gardevoir and i'm kinda seeing it now too. Gardevoir is one of my favorites I wouldn't even be mad.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Alright, assuming this is real here's my hype ranking. From least to most hype.

Mach Rider
Who?
1/10

Ken
I expected him. You expected him. Your mom expected him. Whatever...
3/10

Isaac
Literally don't care. At least his moveset seems like it'd be interesting. Good for his fans I guess.
4/10

Chorus Kids
I'm not a Rhythm Heaven guy, but it seems like they'd be unique. Also they're cute.
7/10

Shadow
OW THE EDGE
8/10

Banjo
Now we're talking! Banjo's a cool dude, and to see him come back to Nintendo where he belongs is amazing!
Vinny can never trick us again.
9/10

Geno
He did it. He actually went and did it. I can't believe it, this is incredible! It's astounding! It's amazing! I can barely find the words!
Geno's such a cool character who's been kept alive because of his devoted fans, If he finally got in I don't know what i'd do with myself!
Even if Incineroar doesn't get in (I still have hope!) Geno makes this amazing roster even more amazing.
9999/10
If that music plays in a Direct for a Banjo reveal, Vinesauce fans will think they're being faked out followed by a catharsis, "WAIT? FOR REAL THIS TIME?!"

This. Needs. To. Happen.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Be careful.
I believed Sassy Geno was real until something unexpected came out of NOWHERE that completely destroyed it.
There's literally a bunch of proof for this leak, and this
Yeah...think it's safe to say we got a esrb 2.0 on our hands lads.

Untouch

Smash Master
Why would Bandai Namco be handling the marketing for this game?
A team at Bandai Namco is helping develop it, Nintendo is dealing with the marketing.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Out of all of those "leaked" characters, I actually would take Mach Rider the most. I mean, why not? Unpopular opinion no. "I can't remember".

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
More proof
There was a problem fetching the tweet
"Too complicated for anyone to do"

Really? It's absolutely impossible?

They mention the mii's specifically and IMO, they would probably be the easiest ones

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There's literally a bunch of proof for this leak, and this
Yeah...think it's safe to say we got a esrb 2.0 on our hands lads.
There was a lot for Sassy Geno too.
I WANT this leak to be real so badly but there is never a good reason to say it's a lock.
I learned this.

I said Incineroar was.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
None of that's ironclad, though.

It's the same level of pattern building and theorising that people gave the Box Theory and people who believe it crud for.

Interesting how this one is okay, though, because it has characters that are liked in it...
It's not iron clad, but comparing it to box theory is incorrect. Box theory was reading into a pattern/lack of something in tenable media, albeit official media; this is analysis of actual in media, albeit unofficial media.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Actually, does anyone have a solid answer as to what the figure above "Ken" is. Because Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 said it looks like Gardevoir and i'm kinda seeing it now too. Gardevoir is one of my favorites I wouldn't even be mad.
As our fellow user Porygon2 Porygon2 pointed out to me earlier, it's just the smoke coming out of Luigi + ROB under him.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
A team at Bandai Namco is helping develop it, Nintendo is dealing with the marketing.
This is a Namco game development-wise. So it's, y'know, a Namco game.
So of course they'd have a Namco promotion team on their game.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Confirmed:

Banjo
Geno
Shadow
Ken
C. Kids
Isaac
M. Rider

Maybe:

Gardevoir / Golisopod / Omnimon

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Have the copyrights for Mach Rider/BK been renewed or discussed in the past few years? Golden Sun’s was not too long ago, maybe this could help the case for the leak, especially in Mach Rider’s case.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
That is something that is noteworthy. Someone, I forget who, was asking for those in the know of French marketing if this was normal or unusual. It's very possible he works for an advertising agency with ties to Bandai Namco and still faked this.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
"Too complicated for anyone to do"

Really? It's absolutely impossible?

They mention the mii's specifically and IMO, they would probably be the easiest ones
It's not the art that's impossible (though has been proven to be extremely complicated if fake), it's the fact that his background can't be faked. It's been verified and the name was embedded into the Snapchat photo. So it's him, it was the company he worked for, and they do produce media for Smash and Grinch.

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
Haven't been here for around 30 pages, from what I can tell no one's been able to proof grinch leak fake?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
1. Why would Sakurai fill a game with characters people want? Huh
2. No, not anyone could reconstruct the background from the mural, create new renders for characters, move characters around.
3. He never said character announcements would decrease. Read what he said. He said things would be slowing down. That's referring to pacing, not the amount of characters.
4. The codename leak was text. If this is fake, it's a reconstruction of the mural. How the **** are they the same?
5. According to this leak, there is 10 unique newcomers. Less than all of those. Adding echoes it matches Smash 4, and every game up to this point had increased character count, not stayed the same. Same goes to "Don't expect too many fighters." That's too subjective of a statement to make or break any leak--compared to what? Previous games? What the next game would have been, projecting? Including or not including echoes? Should we only expect Ridley as some expected back at E3? More than that could have been "too many."

There's so much wrong in here. I'm skeptical of this leak, and it would be nice to debunk it. But not getting the facts straight and treating subjective opinions as objective fact ain't how you debunk things. :p
1. Where's Ashley? Bandana Waddle Dee? Shantae? Of course Sakurai is filling the game with who people want, but he can't do everyone.
2. There was a guy who created a convincing image of a brand new Pokefloats stage for a fake leak. The technology and talent is out there these days. People can create anything.
3. Which is why announcing 7 new characters in 1.5 months is unlikely. That's not the pace slowing down, that's at a faster pace than at any point in time since E3.
4. Again, people can fake just about anything with the right amount of talent and smoke and mirrors.
5. Everyone's gauge for how many to expect is different, I'm merely stating my own, based on previous games and the evidence at hand. I could be wrong. I'd like to be wrong. But I'm just saying that it seems like that leak is presenting too much.

I'm not treating my opinions as objective. I explicitly said it wasn't impossible, just highly unlikely. I was wrong about Isabelle, so I know I'll probably be wrong about other things. I just think people are getting a little carried away.

Is there a specific reason why Smash fandom doesn't count characters that loved by casual audiences from fanservice?
I meant regarding the hardcore fans. The people who are sitting here and talking about the game every day. Not the people who are going to play the game for just a month and then never touch it again.

The majority of any game's playerbase is casual, and they're important. A game can sell millions, but less than a million will continue to play the game for a long period of time. That's why Street Fighter V flopped. It catered to a very narrow hardcore fanbase and had nothing for casual fans, while Mortal Kombat X catered to both and became the best selling fighting game ever.

But the casual fans aren't the ones who care about Ridley, King K. Rool, Dark Samus, Simon, Richter, and Chrom. Inkling is middling between hardcore and casual. Isabelle is the only fully casual pick.

I mean, did people jump and cheer for Wii Fit Trainer, Bowser Jr., Greninja, and Rosalina? Or did they mainly jump and cheer for Mega Man, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom