• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait for that boy Isaac to be announced in the final Smash Direct alongside Geno, Ken, and Shadow. Maaaaayyyyybe a Pokemon or something too I guess.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
There will come a point where we're going to end up arguing the likelihood of Agumon in this thread yet again seeing the route we're going down.

We might even argue the chances of a character like, uh, Popuko.

By the way, if anime characters ever get in Smash, this is the one I want.
You say that like it's a bad thing :chuckle:

It'd be nice to argue about him without the entire board going to a **** show, but if it ever did again, I'll just get my popcorn ready.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Hey.
Hey guys.
Hey!

How about Making the Situation Simple?

Geno being in the game would be like Sakurai finding a lost golden nuggets. A surprising discovery of Fortune and love that will amaze his friends (the hardcore fans)

However, right next to that Golden Nuggets you have literally an Ocean made of pure gold which basically are Every other ****ing Characters from Square-Enix that will amaze the whole village (Everyone)

Sakurai either take that golden Nuggets home directly (base game) or He take a bit of time to gather as much of the golden ocean with a bucket (DLC)

In the end, both are gold. Just that one have more repercussions than the other and make profit, and it all goes down to what Sakurai wanna do.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yup. I always thought K. Rool was a weird, if still understandable and possible, legacy choice.

He was on a lifeline of relevance--not even making the "B-team", always a C-tier trophy or Mii outfit cameo. But still there, hanging on.

I always considered K. Rool a frankly stupid character design. I didn't find him memorable or likeable in any of his games, and the whole concept seemed ridiculous and jumbled. Is he a king? A pirate captain? Why is a fat crocodile in charge? Why does he hate Donkey Kong? Crocodiles don't even eat bananas! There was a charm to Bowser and DDD that K. Rool totally lacked.

But, K. Rool serves the unique role of a villain for DK in Smash, which no one else can do. (All the other DK villains are even stupider) And he looks fun to play! I'm excited to have an ultra-fat heavy with physics very different from DDD. So even if you think they character is as dumb as I do, I think you'd agree that the game benefits from his inclusion.
King K Rool had his finest hour and can sing like a motha *****...he is perfection with no stupidity about him

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I can't tell if we're arguing for Geno's inclusion or against it...

This has become a jumbled mess seemingly fueled by bias, and I'm guilty of bias too.
I've wanted Geno in Smash since Brawl. Of all the characters that I like, he's the only one I actively want to see make it into Smash. I'd be cool with other characters, but I really want Geno in.

This new iteration of Smash has already proven its Ultimate title, but Geno would just make it Ultimate-er.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I can't tell if we're arguing for Geno's inclusion or against it...

This has become a jumbled mess seemingly fueled by bias, and I'm guilty of bias too.
Geno's my #2 most wanted at this point (if not for Paper Mario he'd be #1 but no one beats him)

I want him very, very VERY badly. I keep myself up wondering over his chances!
But I am trying to keep myself grounded too. So I'm providing arguments for and against.

There will come a point where we're going to end up arguing the likelihood of Agumon in this thread yet again seeing the route we're going down.

We might even argue the chances of a character like, uh, Popuko.

By the way, if anime characters ever get in Smash, this is the one I want.
aCtUaLlY DIGIMON HAS SOLD MORE THAN T E K K E N

AugustusB

Smash Champion
To change gears, what do you hope is in the last direct?
There is so much, but in all honesty, I would love a mention or nod to Iwata in some manner. Even if it's the famous gesture.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Hey.
Hey guys.
Hey!

Geno being in the game would be like Sakurai finding a lost golden nuggets. A surprising discovery of Fortune and love that will amaze his friends (the hardcore fans)

However, right next to that Golden Nuggets you have literally an Ocean made of pure gold which basically are Every other ****ing Characters from Square-Enix that will amaze the whole village (Everyone)

Sakurai either take that golden Nuggets home directly (base game) or He take a bit of time to gather as much of the golden ocean with a bucket (DLC)

In the end, both are gold. Just that one have more repercussions than the other and make profit, and it all goes down to what Sakurai wanna do.
The former because it's easier to take.
Problem solved, right? XD

Noipoi

Howdy!
To change gears, what do you hope in the last direct?
There is so much, but in all honesty, I would love a mention or nod to Iwata in some manner. Even if it's the famous gesture.
Character wise-Incineroar and Geno. That's all I need.

If we're talking modes-I want spirits to be long, meaty, and replayable.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Single player mode with enemies to fight including Medusa Heads. Seriously, they're one of the most iconic 'annoying enemies' with the ebb and flow pattern making them stand out especially

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Honestly hoping to see shadow and that’s all and more information on spirits mode hope it’s 2 players like subspace was tbh.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Nintendo finally embraces its competitive community whole heartedly and begins a working relationship working with instead of against tournament organizers!

Pft, yeah right. Maybe another 20 more years and that'll happen.
Until then, I doubt I'll be seeing Geno being revealed at EVO 2019.

(Also a good ranked mode would be nice)

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Not really because his mom (Square-Enix) might tell him to put the Golden Nuggets back
I would cry then.

I'd hope for Tails in Smash as a playable character, but sadly I don't think that'd happen.
And don't even get me started on Quote. I know he wouldn't happen, but I want him like beyond anything else.

NineS

Smash Lord
Hey.
Hey guys.
Hey!

Meanwhile, my character is being offered by the weirdo laying on the cold, hard, ground next to said piles of gold with a golden sphere for a head, who blacked out because he decided to make a game while on booze, only to cancel said game the next morning because he was too tired to get out of bed...

Did I mention he sees himself as the opposite to Sakurai...?

Last edited:

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I would like to add is that I would like to know the fate of some characters in the final direct. Characters like bandana dee, Isaac, and skull kid etc etc seem to be MIA or have hints for their inclusion in the game in some way. I’m curious to know if these characters are AT, boss, cut from the game or just dlc.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Character-wise, my biggest personal hope is seeing Dixie Kong, but Geno would be much more hype-worthy for a lot of hardcore Smash fans, and I'd love to see dreams come true with his inclusion in the final direct.

Otherwise, I really want to see more of Spirits Mode and how it works, how Online works and what modes will be compatible with it, and the remaining Assist Trophies and Poké Ball Pokémon. Anything else is icing on the cake! :)

Also, an Iwata tribute would be so very sweet, as I know he would have loved to see Ultimate while he was alive. At the very least, I will be making a Mii Fighter in his name to honor his memory, much like I did with Smash 4.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
On the subject of Geno's difficulties in getting into Smash... if Dark Samus can make it, almost anyone can. Dark Samus had almost nothing going for her, but a lot going against her. She was:
  • Barely requested. The only reason she was on anyone's radar at any point in time was because of the circumstantial evidence between E3 and the August Direct. Even back in Brawl and Smash 4, when she was more relevant, no one really considered her at all. All eyes were on Ridley.
  • Has been dead for 11 years. Her last appearance was in Metroid Prime 3 in 2007, and she died at the end of that game, with no chance of coming back (unless they retcon something), and only appearing since in Brawl as a Trophy and Smash 4 as an Assist Trophy.
  • Only appeared in two games that sold under 2 million units each. The sales aren't shabby, but neither of them sold more than the original Metroid Prime. Prime 2 came out in 2004 on the GameCube, the lowest-selling system of that generation, and Prime 3 came out in 2007 on the Wii, a system targeting casual gamers and also a month before Halo 3. Meanwhile, Ridley's been in most Metroid games in some form or another, and has far more significance to the franchise overall.
  • Is American. That is, from American-made games. She's the first playable character with that distinction, actually. This is significant, because Samus didn't even get her Prime design in Brawl when there was every reason for her to have it. Then, in Smash 4 (and by extension Ultimate), she got her Other M design. It's clear that there's been some favoritism towards the Japanese-made content in general.
  • Even as an Echo Fighter, the competition is fierce. Shadow, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Impa, Hilda, and Ken are all characters that would have much broader appeal. Can you imagine if it turns out that either Shadow or Ken don't make it into the game, but Dark Samus did? Boy is there going to be some backlash.
She's one of the luckiest characters to ever make it into Smash, and definitely the luckiest character to make it into Ultimate so far. Geno has more going for him in the fact that he's been mentioned by Sakurai twice already across two different games, and was included as a Mii costume in recognition of how requested he is.

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I'm pretty neutral for Geno. If he makes it in cool, if not that's cool too. I don't really care either way it goes but there are a lot of characters that I'd like to see too. Square enix, like any company, likes to make money. Off hand I can think of a slew of Final Fantasy characters to go with Cloud such as Noctis, Lightning, Yuna/Tidas, Terra, etc... all incredibly popular characters and all part of Dissidia NT or will be part of the DLC (Plus square just re-released a ton of final fantasy games recently). If they want to represent a different game they could go with Bravely Default or Kingdom Hearts. Geno really does nothing other than please fans while literally any other choice does that + makes them a ton of money. People would go bonkers over Sora and there is no denying it. Not really Squares character as Disney has a part in it also though. Noctis has had a cross over game already in Tekken. Lots of options from a SE rep

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Started replaying Thousand-Year Door tonight.

Yeah it'd be pretty sweet to have Paper Mario.
Paper Mario is, by far, my most wanted and has been for quite some time. Unfortunately, I've kinda given up on his chances appearing on the base roster. The guy had almost everything going for him this time around. I'm even skeptical to see him as DLC.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
On the subject of Geno's difficulties in getting into Smash... if Dark Samus can make it, almost anyone can. Dark Samus had almost nothing going for her, but a lot going against her. She was:
  • Barely requested. The only reason she was on anyone's radar at any point in time was because of the circumstantial evidence between E3 and the August Direct. Even back in Brawl and Smash 4, when she was more relevant, no one really considered her at all. All eyes were on Ridley.
  • Has been dead for 11 years. Her last appearance was in Metroid Prime 3 in 2007, and she died at the end of that game, with no chance of coming back (unless they retcon something), and only appearing since in Brawl as a Trophy and Smash 4 as an Assist Trophy.
  • Only appeared in two games that sold under 2 million units each. The sales aren't shabby, but neither of them sold more than the original Metroid Prime. Prime 2 came out in 2004 on the GameCube, the lowest-selling system of that generation, and Prime 3 came out in 2007 on the Wii, a system targeting casual gamers and also a month before Halo 3. Meanwhile, Ridley's been in most Metroid games in some form or another, and has far more significance to the franchise overall.
  • Is American. That is, from American-made games. She's the first playable character with that distinction, actually. This is significant, because Samus didn't even get her Prime design in Brawl when there was every reason for her to have it. Then, in Smash 4 (and by extension Ultimate), she got her Other M design. It's clear that there's been some favoritism towards the Japanese-made content in general.
  • Even as an Echo Fighter, the competition is fierce. Shadow, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Impa, Hilda, and Ken are all characters that would have much broader appeal. Can you imagine if it turns out that either Shadow or Ken don't make it into the game, but Dark Samus did? Boy is there going to be some backlash.
She's one of the luckiest characters to ever make it into Smash, and definitely the luckiest character to make it into Ultimate so far. Geno has more going for him in the fact that he's been mentioned by Sakurai twice already across two different games, and was included as a Mii costume in recognition of how requested he is.
This does put a smile on my face.. It really does honestly. It's really cool to know these facts!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm pretty neutral for Geno. If he makes it in cool, if not that's cool too. I don't really care either way it goes but there are a lot of characters that I'd like to see too. Square enix, like any company, likes to make money. Off hand I can think of a slew of Final Fantasy characters to go with Cloud such as Noctis, Lightning, Yuna/Tidas, Terra, etc... all incredibly popular characters and all part of Dissidia NT or will be part of the DLC (Plus square just re-released a ton of final fantasy games recently). If they want to represent a different game they could go with Bravely Default or Kingdom Hearts. Geno really does nothing other than please fans while literally any other choice does that + makes them a ton of money. People would go bonkers over Sora and there is no denying it. Not really Squares character as Disney has a part in it also though. Noctis has had a cross over game already in Tekken. Lots of options from a SE rep
Geno would also make them a good bit of money. We're forgetting how Nintendo themselves would pay them.
Not as much money as Sora, but Sora has a whole host of things to go through to obtain his license.

...Geno's not getting in, is he?...
Why do you say that?

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
You know, i'm expecting Shadow as Sonic's echo (just like everyone else), but i wouldn't mind if Tails was the chosen one. He's Sonic's original sidekick, so he kinda deserves the spot.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
...Geno's not getting in, is he?...
I wouldn't give up all hope just yet, there is still a chance he will make it in. Just have to wait and see what's in store for our wooden friend. :)

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, i'm expecting Shadow as Sonic's echo (just like everyone else), but i wouldn't mind if Tails was the chosen one. He's Sonic's original sidekick, so he kinda deserves the spot.
In the end, it'll probably come down to who would fit their limited development time better, so it's kinda pointless arguing who deserves the spot.

Tails have more history but Shadow is more popular AND he can be a clone if SEGA lets Sakurai.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I think Tails and or Dr. Robotnik/Eggman are the most deserving as a second Sonic rep.

But man I'd love to see Metal Sonic as a Sonic Echo Fighter.

I'll only accept Shadow if he has his "I'm the coolest!" line somewhere.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, my own biases aside, I would be happy to see Geno. I'm sure he'll grow on me after I play SMRPG, plus, it would be huge for Smash fans. Geno is in the same boat as Ridley and K. Rool as characters people in the hardcore fandom have been wanting for forever and would make a lot of people happy. So yeah, I think Geno would be cool. :)

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
As someone who supports shadow to be fair to tails he does deserve a spot since he is sonic’s sidekick and he is iconic. But I feel his chances are dlc because he would mostly like be a unique fighter compare to shadow who is different than sonic because of his chaos powers but yet similar because of body structure and well he always have been similar to sonic.

Edit: This is just my opinion but idk why people want eggman as a fighter I can literally see him being a boss in spirits mode. Since he usually fights sonic in these big af mechs.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What people are saying is right. What does square gain from this?
I dunno, It's not like hope is lost or anything, i'm just kinda processing this info.
Tons of money from Nintendo, publicity and PR for letting their underdog into Smash, strengthened Nintendo relations (more than Sora would offer) and honestly more money then we expect I'd think. It'd also be a much easier character to implement than the hoops a DQ rep or Sora would require.

Hang in there. We all must.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I still don’t understand how Dark Samus was highly requested, Chrom I get but where did her popularity come from?

Not angry at her inclusion, just curious.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Internet kicked out for some reason but I'm back.

Though do know if I disappear you'll know why if it kicks out once more.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Meanwhile, my character is being offered by the weirdo laying on the cold, hard, ground next to said piles of gold with a golden sphere for a head, who blacked out because he decided to make a game while on booze, only to cancel said game the next morning because he was too tired to get out of bed...
Oh, are we playing the metaphor game?

I've got a great visual one for my franchise:
Monsters Inc SMT.png

Shin Megami Tensei V. Major entry with last entry being 2013. Announced 11 months ago. Last trailer ten months ago. No info.

Persona Q 2. Spinoff of Persona 5 which released last year. Announced 2 months ago. Last trailer 6 hours ago. New info on a weekly basis.
1540189762478.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Tons of money from Nintendo, publicity and PR for letting their underdog into Smash, strengthened Nintendo relations (more than Sora would offer) and honestly more money then we expect I'd think. It'd also be a much easier character to implement than the hoops a DQ rep or Sora would require.

Hang in there. We all must.
You're right, I get kinda moody early in the morning.
It's right around this time I start remembering everything that makes me angry and depressed. Every night. It sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom