• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So, what are the most criminally underrepresented franchises out of the ones we have in Smash, in terms of content, to you all? As in, what franchises should get more recognition (music, characters, stages, etc.)?
Super Mario: Good representation. Covers a lot of games.
Spin-Offs: Not awful, but definitely lacking. That's pretty shocking considering how beloved series like Mario Party, Paper Mario, Dr. Mario, Strikers, etc. are yet they get nothing or very little.

Donkey Kong: Lacks ATs and stage variety. Jungles might be the hub of the series but it isn't the only kind of environment people fondly remember. Music-wise it is worse as we mostly get jungle-themed remixes.

Yoshi: I actually think it is fine. It is lacking Kamek as an AT perhaps, otherwise it gets decent stage and music representation.

Wario: The Ware side is good, the Land side is abysmally small.

Zelda: People will talk about its character representation, but it boils down to having no stand out candidate. For the rest it gets plenty of love.

Metroid: It's pretty good now. We have 4 characters, stages and music and from across multiple games, and the basic characters have a role within the game.

Kirby: Modern Kirby is cast aside quite often. It has a few things, yes...but it wouldn't kill anyone for a stage or plethora of tracks from games beyond Air Ride.

Star Fox: We can't really complain...three characters, three stages, good music, and Andross/Krystal as ATs. Even the members of Star Fox and Star Wolf get some love via Easter Eggs. I would love some Star Fox 2 tracks, though.

Pokemon: This one is difficult as there's many generations with its own quirks and things. I don't think every generation needs a playable character and the stages are fairly split among the relevant generations at the time. The music is the biggest problem here.

Mother: Probably gets too much love for a dead series, but who's complaining?

F-Zero: It's dormant but still Sakurai tries to give us new things. Can't really complain even though I'd love a new character.

Fire Emblem: Gets tons of love for characters, but funnily enough lacking elsewhere. Music is sparse, stages are limited to two titles, and no items. Lyn's the only non-playable Fire Emblem character in the game. I don't play this series, but even I know Sakurai should focus his energy elsewhere for Fire Emblem.

Kid Icarus: Gets too much love but Sakurai's the creator...it is to be expected. It doesn't seem to be getting anything new for this title regardless, though. So...eh?

Xenoblade: So far it is lacklustre. It became a successful series but nothing to show for it, yet...?

Third parties are dependent on so many people that Sakurai can't pick and choose everything on his own accord.

Last edited:

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
So, what are the most criminally underrepresented franchises out of the ones we have in Smash, in terms of content, to you all? As in, what franchises should get more recognition (music, characters, stages, etc.)?
Punch-Out!!!

One stage. One fighter. Some music. Basically nothing else.

Sounds like a dramatic movie trailer.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, to all of the Castlevania fans here, would rather have Alucard, Soma, Johnathan, Charlotte, or Shanoa as a newcomer in Smash?
Why don't you make me pick my favorite child while you're at it!

Anyway, Alucard, but Soma and Shanoa are so close that if Alucard has to remain an assist it'd be between them. Maybe Soma if they go all out with the copying mechanic.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Also, I'd argue Mother isn't a "dead" series as it is a "finished" series.

We didn't deserve that Magicant stage, but they did it anyway. ;_;7

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Remember when Sakurai said he'd be slowing down the revealing of characters? Maybe he was right...
Oh yeah I never doubted. I for one take what Sakurai said word for word more or less and then get pleasantly surprised if that's not the case.

There's still the rumor about two directs in November, which I have no clue how that would work, but we could see more smash news in both.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Remember when Sakurai said he'd be slowing down the revealing of characters? Maybe he was right...
Not to give everyone a false sense of hope, but remember when Sakurai told us to not expect many newcomers? The next time we saw him after E3, we got five new characters. As of now, we're up to nine newcomers.

The thing that makes Sakurai so hard to interpret is his complete unpredictability. We never know when he's being coy, or when he says something in a way we misinterpret.

D

Deleted member

All 3rd Parties are good as far as representation is concerned. Well, except FF... it's really sad...
I expect SF to get an AT revealed after we see Ken, so after that it'll be about the same as CV except no boss.

For 1st Parties, FE has a big issue that only two weapon types are represented and it only has ONE AT. Stages are, eh, fine, but I'd like more actual locations. At the very least I'd want more ATs. Also, the Killing Edge is a good item and I love it.
F-Zero really needs more... In and out of Smash, no discussion needed. Only thing it has outside of Falcon and stages is the Goroh AT.

Don't think any other series is unrepresented, at least not to what they proportionally are. People will say Yoshi but it's a sub-series of Mario whether you like it or not, most Yoshi content would apply to Mario anyways. Wario is in the same boat.
And as for DK, all I think it really needs at this point is Dixie.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
He was...right?

He isn't some leaker lol. He said he revealed 'too much, too quickly' and that was the truth coming out of the director's mouth.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Agumon is the most "Sakurai Style " Character to put in Smash.
You can't change my mind.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Besides the usual suspects (Donkey Kong, Wario, F-Zero), Panel de Pon. A single item and a few scattered references on Kirby. Even other series get better treatment by having only their characters show up as ATs.

Everyone explodes
Especially considering that last one, when it's assumed Medarot would never grace the West anymore.

Nah I think the creator of the game could be wrong

This is...ominous.
Sakurai isn't a practicioner of Hokuto Shinken, as far as I know.

Not a fair (fanmade) standard
Yeah...Poochy doesn't show up consistently on Mario games!

That being said, now that Luigi is safe from being the last character post, how do you feel about Yoshi's chances?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not a fair (fanmade) standard
Yoshi started as a Mario character in a Mario game and while he has games of his own, most elements in them started in the Mario series and thus would be considered Mario content(Kamek and Baby Mario & Luigi, for example). Kamek is seen in Smash 4 and considered a Mario character so there you have it.
This isn't even about Smash, this is about the Yoshi series as a whole, Yoshi even regularly appears in main-series Mario games.
Yoshi is, whether you like it or not, a Mario character and a Mario sub-series.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yoshi started as a Mario character in a Mario game and while he has games of his own, most elements in them started in the Mario series and thus would be considered Mario content(Kamek and Baby Mario & Luigi, for example). Kamek is seen in Smash 4 and considered a Mario character so there you have it.
This isn't even about Smash, this is about the Yoshi series as a whole, Yoshi even regularly appears in main-series Mario games.
Yoshi is, whether you like it or not, a Mario character and a Mario sub-series.
But in terms of SMASH (which pardon my passive aggressiveness, is the game were are talking about), Yoshi is separate and should be considered as such. It's not just the logo.

Plus, considering that Yoshi's Island Melee stage is distinctly Super Mario World but is counted as a Yoshi stage proves that the connection can work the other way. "Appearing in Mario games" does not warrant the content to be switched from Yoshi to Mario if said content is intrinsically tied to Yoshi's series (such as Kamek, Poochy, Baby Bowser, some of the enemies exclusive to Yoshi, etc.).

D

Deleted member

But in terms of SMASH (which pardon my passive aggressiveness, is the game were are talking about), Yoshi is separate and should be considered as such. It's not just the logo.

Plus, considering that Yoshi's Island Melee stage is distinctly Super Mario World but is counted as a Yoshi stage proves that the connection can work the other way. "Appearing in Mario games" does not warrant the content to be switched from Yoshi to Mario if said content is intrinsically tied to Yoshi's series (such as Kamek, Poochy, Baby Bowser, some of the enemies exclusive to Yoshi, etc.).
Fair enough. As it turns out, Kamek is classified as being from Yoshi in his trophy even though he appears in the Mushroom Kingdom U stage.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Fair enough. As it turns out, Kamek is classified as being from Yoshi in his trophy even though he appears in the Mushroom Kingdom U stage.
Yeah. Sorry if it seemed like I wanted to jam an opinion down your throat. I just get irritated when people discount Yoshi content to put into Smash because it has to play leftovers with Mario...

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
He's the director of the game I see no reason why he would lie. Sakurai doesn't trick people like some people seem to think. It is pretty evident now that there aren't as many newcomers as previous games in Ultimate just like what Sakurai said and Waluigi's assist trophy was not a fakeout, he is an assist not playable.

I think the 2 final unique newcomers Incineroar and the Square rep (probably Geno) will be revealed in this direct with 2 or 3 echoes (Ken, Shadow and maybe Dixie) and that'll be it for this game's roster.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
He's the director of the game I see no reason why he would lie. Sakurai doesn't trick people like some people seem to think. It is pretty evident now that there aren't as many newcomers as previous games in Ultimate just like what Sakurai said and Waluigi's assist trophy was not a fakeout, he is an assist not playable.

I think the 2 final unique newcomers Incineroar and the Square rep (probably Geno) will be revealed in this direct with 2 or 3 echoes (Ken, Shadow and maybe Dixie) and that'll be it for this game's roster.
This

I definately think that’s the rest of it

But ofcoarse I think we will get a persudo mewtwo trailer at the ending

“*name* is on the way”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom