• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't believe that that disproves Sassy Geno for a second because you can't convince me this isn't another thing like Duck Hunt being "disproven" with a "render" when the models look nothing alike and the background is fakeable. Proof it was posted beforehand or bust.

That said, it being fake leaves more room for Wave Race so BRING ON THE DECONFIRMATION

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Not to say he's a lock or anything, but doesn't that make it easier for them to use Geno? I don't even know why they hold on to the character besides Nintendo not needing him for anything either. If Nintendo finally needs him for Smash, I can see it.
Fair point. But I'm trying to take this from Square's perspective. They really don't have reason to bring Geno back for anything outside of Smash. I can see them try to push someone like Sora or Lara Croft since they're part of franchises that would benefit from extra exposure.

Geno doesn't have that. He was an important character in a Mario spinoff 2 decades ago, but that's really it. He's the epitome of character getting in SOLELY due to popularity (in my opinion).

I'm not saying it's impossible; it's actually a plausible outcome. However, from a marketing standpoint, it makes no sense for Square to agree to put in Geno over someone like Sora.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
alright I'm not saying Capcom and Bamco won't get more reps, but gosh, it was pretty obvious Tansut was conveying the idea that his source is from Square Enix, and that it was SE who were worked up over a leak.

We're either getting Sora or Geno, especially because of Masked Man disappearing.
I dunno. If it was so obvious, why couldn't he just say upfront that Square are the ones being upset? Again, it leaves a little too much leeway.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Three years older than you, my guy. :V

Please come back with your masters in Photoshop. Because last I checked, Little Mac - Shulk looked just as easily photoshoppable. I mean their faces are the exact same shape and everything!

That's the bigger question here, I feel. Did someone take that image recently for the sake of comparison, or was this some screenshot taken for something else? If someone took the screenshot recently as a means to debunk this, well, I could just as easily replicate another Ultimate screenshot in Brawl so long as it was on a Brawl Stage with Brawl characters.

Because I've followed Legacy XP since their beginnings (Legacy XP's Geno being the comparison model used here) and this is definitely not something they've ever posted.

I'm just not seeing how this proves anything. It raises a possibility, but I'm not seeing anything life threatening here.
Well, if the Sassy Geno was created from a mod like Legacy XP, I think it'd be safe to assume that the person who made the leak took their own picture of Geno to be used as the base of their image. That way people couldn't reverse image search it or find a corresponding picture from the development team.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Honest question:

Would anyone be suprised if Geno didn’t get in because Square outright refused to use him?

How would you react?
Honestly my reaction would probably be disappointment followed by me not buying the game for a while.

I don't own a Switch right now anyway and I just wouldn't make it a priority to get one

I'd probably still get it eventually. But, whenever I felt like I needed a switch

Last edited:

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
So, why are we expecting two Directs now? What would the non-Smash one even be? There is absolutely no way I buy a general Direct this soon after September's.
Maybe a mini direct? Idk honestly it’s hard to believe if we are getting two directs in the same month.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wait, the leak had more than just Sora, Geno, and Mallow?

Now I'm concerned again; however, if he was just an intern translator, and Square Enix is handing out fake names mixed with real ones to their employees, who's to say that didn't happen with him? Maybe it means nothing...?

I dunno. If it was so obvious, why couldn't he just say upfront that Square are the ones being upset? Again, it leaves a little too much leeway.
You can say the same thing with any other company.

Vergeben hasn't mentioned anyone other than Square Enix, and Tasnut has leaked in riddles before/he probably wants to avoid mentioning Square by name so that they don't easily track him, so either it's SE or Tasnut is trolling anyway.

Tasnut specifically mentioned Vergeben.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Wait, the leak had more than just Sora, Geno, and Mallow?

Now I'm concerned again; however, if he was just an intern translator, and Square Enix is handing out fake names mixed with real ones to their employees, who's to say that didn't happen with him? Maybe it means nothing...?
Kaboom, exactly. Intern boy likely fell into their trap.

NineS

Smash Lord
Brah, have you seen how hit and miss he often is with stuff outside of Smash? Not to mention his failures at Capcom leaks?
Also, like I stated before, he's had to back track and revise statements of his made before news has hit. And he certainly doesn't have the full story at that.
Nah, he's got some hits but he's no guarantee that Incenaroar is getting in.
Although his sources to things outside of Smash are erroneous, it's what he says relating to smash that matters in this situation, as they're not all the same sources.
When it comes to telling us information on Smash Bros. Ultimate, he's been completely spot on and has yet to let us down. He clearly doesn't have the full story, no leaker does. But the bits and pieces of the story he does have are absolute truth, the only thing to my knowledge he got incorrect related to Smash wasn't even Smash itself. It was a Castlevania bundle of games to be announced for switch alongside Simon's reveal, and even then, we eventually got those Castlevania games for the switch.

I know of nothing else he could possibly have gotten incorrect when it comes to Smash Bros. Ultimate leaks. If he has gotten things correct, forgive me, and please tell me what they are. However, in this current point in time and to my knowledge, he's the most reliable source of information for Smash Bros. Ultimate we have and has a flawless reputation for Smash Bros. Ultimate in terms of what he has told us and how much of it was correct.

He's not the source, but he's the second-hand messenger who's yet to give us false hope.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The story is that it was the original image before it was touched up in Photoshop, something that can easily be done in an Emulator, especially with that quality.
While that's true, I could just as easily go back to Smash 4 or Brawl and replicate a screenshot like this.

Obviously the difference here is Geno has something to prove whereas official screenshots like this do not, but all I'm saying is anything can be traced back to a previous Smash game for near-identical recreations by this token, so long as they're an existing character or had a decent mod. Especially since the models still don't look remotely similar.

Last edited:

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
As easy as it is to photoshop the second picture to match the first picture, wouldn't it also be easy to recreate the second picture with the first picture?
Are we assuming that the "new" Geno picture isn't itself photoshopped to make the background match?

Most importantly, are we supposed to believe Snivy isn't going to be the Pokemon newcomer?
I can open up PM and get Geno into this exact pose very easily. It's his dizzy/shield break animation. Unless we are to believe that Geno in Ultimate happens to have a 1:1 shared animation with PM Geno, we should consider this leak thoroughly debunked. Screenshot I just took included.

https://i.imgur.com/dnlCHSp.png

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Because saying he was an SE employee would have likely broken his NDA. It's important to note, him being an SE employee was found out outside of his post assuming nobody would bring it up.

D

Deleted member

Maybe a mini direct? Idk honestly it’s hard to believe if we are getting two directs in the same month.
Even a Mini Direct sounds questionable to me. What content would it feature? The only way it makes sense IMO is if it's for some mobile game.

I'm still sticking with my prediction of a Smash Direct within the next two weeks. Just what makes the most sense to me, but I suppose we'll have to wait to see.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Although his sources to things outside of Smash are erroneous, it's what he says relating to smash that matters in this situation, as they're not all the same sources.
When it comes to telling us information on Smash Bros. Ultimate, he's been completely spot on and has yet to let us down. He clearly doesn't have the full story, no leaker does. But the bits and pieces of the story he does have are absolute truth, the only thing to my knowledge he got incorrect related to Smash wasn't even Smash itself. It was a Castlevania bundle of games to be announced for switch alongside Simon's reveal, and even then, we eventually got those Castlevania games for the switch.

I know of nothing else he could possibly have gotten incorrect when it comes to Smash Bros. Ultimate leaks. If he has gotten things correct, forgive me, and please tell me what they are. However, in this current point in time and to my knowledge, he's the most reliable source of information for Smash Bros. Ultimate we have and has a flawless reputation for Smash Bros. Ultimate in terms of what he has told us and how much of it was correct.
It doesn't mean that he is the end all be all when it comes to newcomers. He missed King K. Rool as well as every single confirmed Echo Fighter (Dark Samus, Chrom, Princess Daisy, and Richter Belmont).

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Fair point. But I'm trying to take this from Square's perspective. They really don't have reason to bring Geno back for anything outside of Smash. I can see them try to push someone like Sora or Lara Croft since they're part of franchises that would benefit from extra exposure.

Geno doesn't have that. He was an important character in a Mario spinoff 2 decades ago, but that's really it. He's the epitome of character getting in SOLELY due to popularity (in my opinion).

I'm not saying it's impossible; it's actually a plausible outcome. However, from a marketing standpoint, it makes no sense for Square to agree to put in Geno over someone like Sora.
I agree, but it being basically no effort to just let Nintendo use the character and make easy money because he's such a fan request sounds good to me. I consider Sora off the table because Disney has even less to gain in this kind of deal, and I thought they owned any original content in KH.
As for Lara Croft... I didn't know Tomb Raider was still relevant, tbh. She's just a retro character in my mind, and I don't think Sakurai is at liberty to include a retro third party. I guess if the series is still successful then she's a good candidate.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Somebody who knew the TMNT were coming to Injustice most definitely has his sources.

And as far as Smash goes? What he has gotten wrong? The one leak disowned back in March? That's it. What's he gotten right? Well... he knew Ridley plus some vets coming. Sketchy, but okay, what else? He called Simon, who no matter how you twist facts, did NOT do well on the ballot and wasn't somebody people were talking about beforehand. And then he got Isabelle right and Ken has been pseudo-confirmed. Don't pretend that Vergeben is just lucky at this point.
Except, Ridley, Simon and Isabelle were called by other parties before him. One of which, when specified that Richter would be in, which Verg didn't know, and another who called Isabelle as not being an echo.
Not saying he doesn't have some legit info, but he doesn't have enough consistency or accuracy to take his words as gospel.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I can open up PM and get Geno into this exact pose very easily. It's his dizzy/shield break animation. Unless we are to believe that Geno in Ultimate happens to have a 1:1 shared animation with PM Geno, we should consider this leak thoroughly debunked. Screenshot I just took included.

Curious.
Thanks for finally providing some actual evidence.

NineS

Smash Lord
It doesn't mean that he is the end all be all when it comes to newcomers. He missed King K. Rool as well as every single confirmed Echo Fighter (Dark Samus, Chrom, Princess Daisy, and Richter Belmont).
I direct you to this bit of what I said:
....he's been completely spot on and has yet to let us down. He clearly doesn't have the full story, no leaker does. But the bits and ...

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

This proves nothing about snivy, nor my ****posting.

Jokes aside, nice going, dude!

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
No one is saying that. It is entirely possible Verg missed some newcomers. People are saying Ken and Incineroar are the last ones because of Box Theory, not Verg.

Shroob

Sup?
So now we can see with certainty that Sassy Geno's using the PM's Model's dizzy pose.

Yeah, that kills it right there for me, frankly.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No one is saying that. It is entirely possible Verg missed some newcomers. People are saying Ken and Incineroar are the last ones because of Box Theory, not Verg.
I highly doubt that there will be only one more newcomer trailer, and for the obligatory newest gen Pokemon rep at that.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Oh ****- nice.
I never played legacy or PM so I wouldn't know...but super nice finding.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

You know... you bring up a fairly decent point.
Yes the New Geno is possible to just fake, but it's awfully convenient that Ultimate Geno's head positioning is easy to recreate with the in game PM version. Like, the exact head positioning.

I've been convinced, F Sassy, just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I have been following him since his initial "Leakileaks" on /kappa. I know of his past.
The mistake you're making is assuming his sources for other games would be his Smash sources. Vergeben is a messenger, not the leaker himself.
Show me these statements beyond one leak from pre-April and I'll give your thought any credence.
"Some hits" is an understatement. He predicted Ridley, Simon, Isabelle, and no Simon is not obvious in retrospect. Sorry, just see that bought up too often.
Brah, I'm well aware of how the leaking game works too. No, that's not the "mistake" I'm bringing up. But him being just a messenger from stuff he hears is part of the reason why his words are no guarentee.
Could be fed faulty info. And again, his track record as a whole is infamously fickle.
Feel free to follow him, but he doesn't dictate my hype. Cold hard facts and actual reveals do.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Alright, that's where I can officially just shut my mouth and safely assume it's debunked to high heaven.

If that's straight up his shield break pose then yeah, that's... rough. I concede defeat.

He'll still make it though, mark my words.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

While I'd still like to see a timestamped source for the image used to debunk the leak, I concede this as very notable evidence against it. Big Ls and hard Fs passed around.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Even a Mini Direct sounds questionable to me. What content would it feature? The only way it makes sense IMO is if it's for some mobile game.

I'm still sticking with my prediction of a Smash Direct within the next two weeks. Just what makes the most sense to me, but I suppose we'll have to wait to see.
I was thinking maybe they will show case some more news on their 2019 lineup of games like fire emblem or maybe even bayonetta 3. Or more news about Pokémon let’s go. But idk I think it safe to assume we are getting a smash direct at least.

NineS

Smash Lord
Now the Geno leak has officially been deconfirmed.

This is saddening. Not because I wanted Geno in or anything necessarily like that, but more-so because of the fact now we don't have an extremely interesting topic to invest in.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Except, Ridley, Simon and Isabelle were called by other parties before him. One of which, when specified that Richter would be in, which Verg didn't know, and another who called Isabelle as not being an echo.
Not saying he doesn't have some legit info, but he doesn't have enough consistency or accuracy to take his words as gospel.
To whom are you referring to? The only person I could think of that leaked Simon Belmont was LeakyPandy, and his credibility is way more shaky than Verge’s. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I highly doubt that there will be only one more newcomer trailer, and for the obligatory newest gen Pokemon rep at that.
Maybe they will, maybe they won’t. I can totally see Incineroar being the last trailer. Pokemon is one of the largest franchises in the world. A trailer drop of the newest Gen Pokemon would excite many causal players and hardcore Pokemon fans, especially Incineroar fans. People “highly doubted” the ESRB leak, didn’t they? Look where that got them.

We’ll see next direct anyway, which may be next month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom