• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honest question:

Would anyone be suprised if Geno didn’t get in because Square outright refused to use him?

How would you react?
Baffled. I mean why would they refuse a character they haven't even used in over 20 years? Heck why hasn't Nintendo even bought the rights to the SMRPG characters to begin with?

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I personally lean towards the 'real leak' Tansut is talking about is still kept within some kind of internal circle and hasn't truly leaked yet, but as of now there's nothing concrete saying whether or not it's this Geno image.

But I refuse to believe, in a world where-

A) Sakurai has wanted Geno since at least Brawl
B) Sakurai has metnioned as recently as 2016 that they still receive many, many votes to include Geno
C) Square-Enix is already working with Smash from the get-go, and has already allowed Geno in the game in some capacity
D) Geno got to be a 3rd-Party Mii Costume alongside characters like Monster Hunter, Heihachi, Chocobo, extra Mega Man characters, and extra Sonic characters
E) By all metrics we can draw from, Geno was the most popular SE character on the polls by a wide margin and the most reliable leakers point to a new SE character coming

-that Geno could possibly miss this game. Base, DLC, online subscription bonus, name your price, but I can't see it not happening somehow, some way. There is no such thing as a 'lock', but by god, the evidence is there.
Or in other words:
He's 99.79% confirmed.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
For those out of the loop, people are talking about this.

To be blunt, this is "Shulk is a Photoshopped Geno" levels of a stretch. Photoshop doesn't fix polygon counts, people.
I mean no, Photoshop can't "fix polygon counts," but if you're talented enough with Photoshop, you could manipulate the left image all you want to get your own result. Start by reducing the contrast to match Ultimate's lighting and remove all the detail for a smoother look. Then stretch or extend the collar and hat to make them more unique, change the eye position and make them flat. Finally, add a signature "leak blur" and viola! It's really not that far-fetched of an idea. But again, it really just comes down to if the left image did indeed come first.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Honest question:

Would anyone be suprised if Geno didn’t get in because Square outright refused to use him?

How would you react?
*shrug*
aiight den
Wouldn't really mind, even if he got in I wasn't gonna main him or anything (as much as I wanted him) so

Shroob

Sup?
Honest question:

How would you react?
Indifferent.

I realize Geno is a fan-request to the community for a long time, but, I've never personally wanted him, nor have I ever been in the position to play and-or own SMRPG. The most connection I have to Geno is that old Newgrounds Flash song.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Are there people who are genuinely excited for Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee?
Pokemon Go is still one of the largest apps out there, despite all its issues that have never been fixed. So of course there are people looking forward to Let's Go. Hopefully Gen 8 will be great, regardless.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Indifferent.

I realize Geno is a fan-request to the community for a long time, but, I've never personally wanted him, nor have I ever been in the position to play and-or own SMRPG. The most connection I have to Geno is that old Newgrounds Flash song.
That song is actually the reason I played SMRPG and ended up being a huge proponent of Geno.
The dichotomy of man.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Indifferent.

DAMAGE MY RIGHT EYE MORE THAN NINE TIMES NINETY NINE

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Nekoo Nekoo So, that Masked Man guy from June; I feel concerned about what he said regarding the Sora, Geno, and Mallow leak. Did what he say actually mean one of them could be real, or could it include all three...?

I found that he said something like "I know it has characters I know aren't in."

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean I've heard about the Vergeben talk. So? Doesn't mean we're going to get Incenaroar. Verg doesn't have a spotless record, and even with smash Ultimate, he's had to back track on things. He's no Ryce, that's for sure.
With Ultimate he has gotten literally everything right except for a leak he made in like March and disowned
If you want I can concede that point and he's still incredibly reliable

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Nekoo Nekoo So, that Masked Man guy from June; I feel concerned about what he said regarding the Sora, Geno, and Mallow leak. Did what he say actually mean one of them could be real, or could it include all three...?

I found that he said something like "I know it has characters I know aren't in."
He said "Characters". At the very least, he meant more than one. I took it to mean all three.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Honest question:

How would you react?
Not in the slightest. I don't see any benefit (from a business perspective) for Square in bringing back Geno. They haven't used him in over 2 decades, why would they start now?

I wouldn't be upset over it, but I would feel bad for all of the Geno supporters. Especially those who've been supporting him since the Brawl era.

Are there people who are genuinely excited for Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee?
Of course. I know plenty of people who really excited to see LGPE, especially since it's the first mainline Pokemon game on the Switch.

As for myself, I'm willing to give the game a try if I get a Switch prior to the Pokemon 2019 game.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

He just said "I know Characters from it that aren't in"
Could mean Sora and Mallow aren't in.
Geno and Mallow aren't it.
They're all not in.

We don't know. But he got purged from this place forever

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Honest question:

How would you react?
Wouldn't be surprised at all; sorta makes sense, really. If Nintendo was going to add a unique fighter, SE would likely want a character that would benefit them from a marketing perspective; they couldn't care less about Geno, and while that let him get in as a Mii Fighter costume I'm not sure it would work towards him as a unique character. I have little investment in him either way, though I do think his chances are overestimated with this (SE just saying "no why don't you use someone else if you want a unique character") as one of the reasons.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
They're all not in.

Question...did he only respond to a leak with Squenix characters?
What if the dude just meant like Black Shadow wasn't in lol

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Not in the slightest. I don't see any benefit (from a business perspective) for Square in bringing back Geno. They haven't used him in over 2 decades, why would they start now?

I wouldn't be upset over it, but I would feel bad for all of the Geno supporters. Especially those who've supporting him since the Brawl era.
Not to say he's a lock or anything, but doesn't that make it easier for them to use Geno? I don't even know why they hold on to the character besides Nintendo not needing him for anything either. If Nintendo finally needs him for Smash, I can see it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It was in response to the imgur Heroes vs Villains leak from pre-E3. Masked Man Worked for SE. It's easy to know where he was coming from with that statement.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh you... Poor young innocent soul-
Not defending this, since I'm just sitting here confused about that picture... and sad if it's not a true model because it looked wonderful

But you don't know what people with patience, Photoshop and 4chan can do.
Three years older than you, my guy. :V

Please come back with your masters in Photoshop. Because last I checked, Little Mac - Shulk looked just as easily photoshoppable. I mean their faces are the exact same shape and everything!

I mean no, Photoshop can't "fix polygon counts," but if you're talented enough with Photoshop, you could manipulate the left image all you want to get your own result. Start by reducing the contrast to match Ultimate's lighting and remove all the detail for a smoother look. Then stretch or extend the collar and hat to make them more unique, change the eye position and make them flat. Finally, and a signature "leak blur" and viola! It's really not that far-fetched of an idea. But again, it really just comes down to if the left image did indeed come first.
That's the bigger question here, I feel. Did someone take that image recently for the sake of comparison, or was this some screenshot taken for something else? If someone took the screenshot recently as a means to debunk this, well, I could just as easily replicate another Ultimate screenshot in Brawl so long as it was on a Brawl Stage with Brawl characters.

Because I've followed Legacy XP since their beginnings (Legacy XP's Geno being the comparison model used here) and this is definitely not something they've ever posted.

I'm just not seeing how this proves anything. It raises a possibility, but I'm not seeing anything life threatening here.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean dude was a Square Enix Intern translator... Not hard to guess which Characters he was taking about in that leak-

So, I'm seeing quite some messages talking about "Masked Man leak" or something? I'm not too caught up in this, what's it about?
Old leak all the way back to April/may about a Square-Enix translator intern probably soft-decomfirming Characters- Between Sora/Geno/Mallow or all of them

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
They're all not in.

Well, now I'm hoping he just meant two of them, since he could've said "I know none of its characters are in" to clearly include all three.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
With Ultimate he has gotten literally everything right except for a leak he made in like March and disowned
If you want I can concede that point and he's still incredibly reliable
Brah, have you seen how hit and miss he often is with stuff outside of Smash? Not to mention his failures at Capcom leaks?
Also, like I stated before, he's had to back track and revise statements of his made before news has hit. And he certainly doesn't have the full story at that.
Nah, he's got some hits but he's no guarantee that Incenaroar is getting in.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That's the bigger question here, I feel. Did someone take that image recently for the sake of comparison, or was this some screenshot taken for something else?
The story is that it was the original image before it was touched up in Photoshop, something that can easily be done in an Emulator, especially with that quality.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Brah, have you seen how hit and miss he often is with stuff outside of Smash? Not to mention his failures at Capcom leaks?
Also, like I stated before, he's had to back track and revise statements of his made before news has hit. And he certainly doesn't have the full story at that.
I have been following him since his initial "Leakileaks" on /kappa. I know of his past.
The mistake you're making is assuming his sources for other games would be his Smash sources. Vergeben is a messenger, not the leaker himself.
Show me these statements beyond one leak from pre-April and I'll give your thought any credence.
"Some hits" is an understatement. He predicted Ridley, Simon, Isabelle, and no Simon is not obvious in retrospect. Sorry, just see that bought up too often.

D

Deleted member

So, why are we expecting two Directs now? What would the non-Smash one even be? There is absolutely no way I buy a general Direct this soon after September's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
As easy as it is to photoshop the second picture to match the first picture, wouldn't it also be easy to recreate the second picture with the first picture?
Are we assuming that the "new" Geno picture isn't itself photoshopped to make the background match?

Most importantly, are we supposed to believe Snivy isn't going to be the Pokemon newcomer?

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Honest question:

How would you react?
I'm seeing you get a lot of responses like "Yeah because why would SE refuse they're not even using him" but I think they're missing the point.

Since I'm fairly confident in that we are getting a SE rep of some kind, no I wouldn't be surprised if SE refused for it to be Geno, as they probably don't seem him as a real representative of their history in any way shape or form. No one casually looks at Geno and thinks "Oh yeah, one of the classics SE reps", they think "Oh it's Geno from the SUPER MARIO GAME, of NINTENDO fame."

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Somebody who knew the TMNT were coming to Injustice most definitely has his sources.

And as far as Smash goes? What he has gotten wrong? The one leak disowned back in March? That's it. What's he gotten right? Well... he knew Ridley plus some vets coming. Sketchy, but okay, what else? He called Simon, who no matter how you twist facts, did NOT do well on the ballot and wasn't somebody people were talking about beforehand. And then he got Isabelle right and Ken has been pseudo-confirmed. Don't pretend that Vergeben is just lucky at this point.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Three years older than you, my guy. :V

Please come back with your masters in Photoshop. Because last I checked, Little Mac - Shulk looked just as easily photoshoppable. I mean their faces are the exact same shape and everything!
Pls no ;-;

And I won't say Shulk/Little Mac dumb **** is as comparable as this.
In one, we talk about literall transformation of Characters and a supposedly high def renders
The other is Using the Sailor Moon MAKE UP spell on Geno make him look beautiful-

But yeah, why not. I could try something like that tomorrow since it's awfully late here for me. Could be fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom