• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Sorry to bring back this topic but...Alright, you got me on a technicality. Not that that is even comparable to locking an entirely unique fighting game character behind a paywall. People would be outraged and I think Nintendo knows this. A lot of the game industry is used to that scummy BS but Nintendo fans aren't. There'd be a riot.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Nintendo's developers actually do have a lot of control over their products however. Let's not forget that one of Nintendo's most powerful figures, Miyamoto, is a game developer himself, and before he passed away Iwata had previously a progammer. I think that's a lot of the reason we haven't seen a whole lot of scummy DLC practices from major Nintendo titles.

I am fully confident we won't see any character as day one DLC, not even an echo fighter. I don't think that's something Sakurai would do and I don't think that's something Nintendo would make him do either. In fact I'm really surprised so many people see that as a possibility. What happened to make everyone so cinical of Nintendo lately?
Probably around the time they made us pay for the same mediocre online as always, with the bonus of NES games no one cares about and cloud saves that aren't even an option for some games. I remember people saying Nintendo would never do paid online, but like a lot of things (including DLC and online in general) they were just behind the curve. I'm not just hating, Nintendo still makes great games, but we should be real about this.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Depends on which comes first.

It'd be completely asinine to drop a new character in an unrelated Direct when you literally had a Smash Direct a week or so prior.

If the General Direct comes first, then sure, but if not? Nah, not feeling it.

This is going to be the last Smash Direct until DLC probably, I'm not feeling a "We'll show you all this **** to get you hyped!.......but we'll save this one guy for next week because....eh?"
That depends on what content they have and what they want to share. Doesn't even have to be a character, but Smash will show up in the general Nintendo Direct in a way to make one last appeal to non-Smash fans.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The roster will not be 50ish characters if its a reboot. Sakurai himself said that if he was to reboot the roster, It would 1/3 of Smash Ultimate roster. So around 23-25 characters would be in a reboot. You need to cut another 1/2 of your roster.
Well I was not trying to be realistic, it was just my ideal roster.
Anyway, in that case:

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:(Ganon)
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo:(New gen rep.)
:ultinkling::ultvillager:(New IP, maybe someone from Arms)
:ultness::ultfalcon::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultpit::ultmarth:
:ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer:(Nintendo Labo WTF character)

I can't cut more than this, the remaining ones are all important and I want to keep some newcomers to give the game some "new" factor. Any other cut and the roster would feel dull, old and very disappointing for a new game.
The only ones I could cut are Mewtwo and Pit, but Pokèmon is a big franchise and Pit is the only NES rep. remaining.
There are 2 versions of Ganon, but I can't cut any of them, Ganon is important in some games and Ganondorf is important in some others; they are the same entity but they are equally important.
I even had to cut Wario against my will, and every DK side character as well (because Yoshi and DK are branches on Mario and can be still considered as Mario characters).
I probably could cut Ness though I decided to keep him because he's one of the originals... but I had no mercy for Jiggly, Mewtwo is way more iconic and important.

As for the newcomers:
Ganon is the bad*** newcomer to build hype
New gen Pokèmon rep makes sense and it's needed IMO
New IP to keep the game fresh and up to date
Nintendo Labo as WTF character because we need something unexpected and iconic to give the game an identity (a robot made of cardboard would work just fine).

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Anyway, in that case:

:ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer:(Nintendo Labo WTF characters)

I can't cut more than this, the remaining ones are all important and I want to keep some newcomers to give the game some new factor. Any other cut and the roster would feel dull, old and very disappointing for a new game.
The only ones I could cut are Mewtwo and Pit, but Pokèmon is a big franchise and Pit is the only NES rep. remaining.
There are 2 versions of Ganon, but I can't cut any of them, Ganon is important in some games and Ganondorf is important in some others; they are the same entity but they are equally important.
I even had to cut Wario against my will, and every DK side character as well (because Yoshi and DK are branches on Mario and can be still considered as Mario characters).

As for the newcomers:
Nintendo Labo as WTF character because we need something unexpected and iconic to give the game an identity (a robot made of cardboard would work just fine).
Nuuuuu King K. Rool!!!!:cry:

Shroob

Sup?
That depends on what content they have and what they want to share. Doesn't even have to be a character, but Smash will show up in the general Nintendo Direct in a way to make one last appeal to non-Smash fans.
Obviously, but if it comes AFTER the Smash Direct, I'm expecting nothing more than a general 'advertisement' spot, like how most games are shown off, especially so in the September Direct, moreso talking about what the game has to offer.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
No, ot was not any help

I seen nearly all the rumors from liam Robertson
Wow, harsh...
Team October
Team November
Team Dual-November

Which team will win? Which team will be embarrassed? Which team will probably not care cause they're just satisfied that we're so close to release that we're closing in on a direct either way?

Find out next time on Smash Discussion Ball Z
I'm just gonna be on the safe side and say Team November...
Just one Direct focused on Smash
(Though i could still see the Two Directs thing happening)

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Sorry to bring back this topic but...Alright, you got me on a technicality. Not that that is even comparable to locking an entirely unique fighting game character behind a paywall. People would be outraged and I think Nintendo knows this. A lot of the game industry is used to that scummy BS but Nintendo fans aren't. There'd be a riot.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Nintendo's developers actually do have a lot of control over their products however. Let's not forget that one of Nintendo's most powerful figures, Miyamoto, is a game developer himself, and before he passed away Iwata had previously a progammer. I think that's a lot of the reason we haven't seen a whole lot of scummy DLC practices from major Nintendo titles.

I am fully confident we won't see any character as day one DLC, not even an echo fighter. I don't think that's something Sakurai would do and I don't think that's something Nintendo would make him do either. In fact I'm really surprised so many people see that as a possibility. What happened to make everyone so cinical of Nintendo lately?
No one necessarily says it would have to be paid day 1 DLC. They could do it similarly to Kirby Star Allies for that situation.

The ones after though? Confident we're paying.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So, a Smash Direct is possibly being held in November then?

I seriously wonder how we’ll survive in the mean time. I hope that in the last Direct they just show off all the newcomers sort of like a newcomer blow out.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Team October
Team November
Team Dual-November

Which team will win? Which team will be embarrassed? Which team will probably not care cause they're just satisfied that we're so close to release that we're closing in on a direct either way?

Find out next time on Smash Discussion Ball Z
Where's my Team November people at

Right in the middle of optimism and cynicism. I'd wager that the 8th of November is very likely, but I can honestly see it being earlier that week as well. Also really don't think that general direct is happening.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Team November

Opens with Incineroar.

Talk about modes like All-Star, Break the Targets, etc.

Some other stuff, possibly Creeper assist trophy if Minecraft isn't DLC.

Oh, Ken is an echo.

SPIRITS MODE FINALLY.

Geno/SE character as final base-game newcomer or as DLC pls Geno.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Team October
Team November
Team Dual-November
I'm Team January. I think Nintendo will forget to release the game until halfway through January and put out an apology. It'll just slip their mind, like a small homework assignment or changing that light bulb. Reggie will wake up one morning, put on his glasses, push aside his Bonnie Tyler and Bayonetta body pillows and think aloud, "Wait, weren't we going to release a game or something?". Then he'll call up Sakurai, but nobody will answer the phone because Sakurai died of a stroke once he realized that the game he worked so hard on was completely forgotten about by everyone in the company.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Anyway, in that case:

:ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer:(Nintendo Labo WTF character)

I can't cut more than this, the remaining ones are all important and I want to keep some newcomers to give the game some "new" factor. Any other cut and the roster would feel dull, old and very disappointing for a new game.
I probably could cut Ness though I decided to keep him because he's one of the originals... but I had no mercy for Jiggly, Mewtwo is way more iconic and important.

As for the newcomers:
Yeah, I'd dropped the topic because people kinda ignored it but the roster I posted was my guess at who they'd keep if they had to cut most of the roster. I thought it would be interesting to actually talk about why they pick characters and all that.
I basically thought "if they had to start from scratch who would they almost certainly include" and even then, since I made mine months ago I have doubts.

IronTed

Smash Ace
The closest thing to day 1 DLC (of remote substance) has been amiibo, but even then it's still not identical in practice. There will be paid DLC for sure, but paid day 1 would be surprising, at least to me.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Probably around the time they made us pay for the same mediocre online as always, with the bonus of NES games no one cares about and cloud saves that aren't even an option for some games. I remember people saying Nintendo would never do paid online, but like a lot of things (including DLC and online in general) they were just behind the curve. I'm not just hating, Nintendo still makes great games, but we should be real about this.
Oh yeah, that. I honestly forget online was paid.

20$ a year for an online service that they gave us for free for longer then they said they would isn't nearly as horrible of an offense as sticking a coveted character behind a Day 1 paywall. Nintendo's not EA all of a sudden (although I guess locking characters behind lootboxes is more EA's thing then DLC these days).
No one necessarily says it would have to be paid day 1 DLC. They could do it similarly to Kirby Star Allies for that situation.

The ones after though? Confident we're paying.
Usually when people say "Day 1 DLC" they're refferring to the paid stuff.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Also I want to put it out there: I don't expect day 1 DLC. To decry it as impossible, as Nintendo betraying its fans because they're too pure for such practices sounds like denial to me though.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So, if it's November, than that probably means no Halloween reveals like Skull Kid or Medusa like some people think...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I was Team November for like weeks now...
So has a lot of people, because it's the month before release and logically the most likely if we were to look month by month.

However,
I don't like playing to what's most likely, so

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Also I want to put it out there: I don't expect day 1 DLC. To decry it as impossible, as Nintendo betraying its fans because they're too pure for such practices sounds like denial to me though.
Nintendo isn't beyond pulling that crap, but Sakurai was very critical when he talked about it. He may listen to Nintendo and implement their input, but I think it's likely Sakurai would warn against doing that--he has some muscle. And when talking about DLC in general, Bill Trinen talked about it in terms of how much it's Sakurai's call. Is Day 1 DLC possible? Yeah. Is it likely? At this point with what we know, absolutely not.

D

Deleted member

Update: Spawn Wave apparently known about the Direct rumors for weeks now. Another New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe case.

Untouch

Smash Master
currently peaking through sakurai's window, I see a notepad document open titled "nov7.txt" that contains the following:
  • Kencineroar
  • Remaining Stages
  • Remaining Items/Pokemon/Assist Trophies
  • Spirits Mode
  • Online Functions
  • End with a TestSmash Announcement
Odd.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I never tried to claim they were pure or perfect, just that day 1 DLC just seems very uncharacteristic of them to me based off of recent practices with other games. If they were in a state like that, we'd probably already see them pull similar shady stuff with other games, but yet we haven't really.

That said, I would be surprised at all if Three Houses came with day one DLC. That does seem pretty characteristic of IS, since we've seen their DLC practices get proggressively shadier with each FE game. But I can't imagine it happening for a game like Smash Brothers just yet.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Team Dual-September

They had another direct last month, but ninja uploaded it without anyone noticing

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'll ask a question myself: what are your top 10 characters in Ultimate? Doesn't matter for what reason (mains, preference, etc.), and order/no order is up to you.

A good time to have literally 10 (11?) mains.
A little late.
I think I might have broken the top 10 limit by this game, so it'll be hard to choose, but here goes.

:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultsimon::ultcloud::ultpokemontrainer::ultpit::ultryu::ultsamus::ultdaisy: (sorry :ultpeach:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom