• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
currently peaking through sakurai's window, I see a notepad document open titled "nov7.txt" that contains the following:
  • Kencineroar
  • Remaining Stages
  • Remaining Items/Pokemon/Assist Trophies
  • Spirits Mode
  • Online Functions
  • End with a TestSmash Announcement
Odd.
There's still the matter of all the single player content because I highly doubt that Classic and Training is all there is.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think we can all agree that regardless of the legitimacy of Sassy Geno, he's still legitimate in our hearts. Our sassy hearts.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Honestly, Smash fans don't appreciate how long this series has gone without substantial cuts.
Melee cut no one.
Brawl cut Mewtwo, Young Link, Roy, and Dr. Mario.
Smash 4 cut Wolf, Ice Climbers (not really by choice), Pokemon Trainer, and Snake (also maybe not by choice) but brought back Roy.

Other series aren't so lucky. Quick example: Street Fighter 3 cut everyone from SF2 except for Ryu and Ken (think Mario and Luigi), and eventually brought back Chun-Li and Akuma. That's 4 of 16 characters from SF2, everyone else was new. Can you imagine if no one stayed from 64 to Melee except Mario and Luigi, and then later releases brought back DK and Samus?

While there's no game like Smash, I don't think cutting most of the roster would alienate people, given the gameplay is innovative enough. It's definitely not as easy as it sounds, but I think Ultimate will give Sakurai the time to think about it. This is assuming he's got it into him, once the time comes to try and follow up Ultimate. I think it's an interesting possibility, since I can't imagine topping Ultimate in content, but something seems hollow about just porting it to whatever the next console is.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
1. :ultyoshi:
2. :ultrichter:
3. :ultshulk:
4. :ultmegaman:
5. :ultluigi:
6. :ulttoonlink:
7. :ultbayonetta:
8. :ultkingdedede:
9. :ultsonic:
10. :ultkrool:
I'm surprised they weren't all Yoshi. I didn't even know you played other characters. ;)

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I'll ask a question myself: what are your top 10 characters in Ultimate? Doesn't matter for what reason (mains, preference, etc.), and order/no order is up to you.

For me:
1. :ultlink:
2. :ultgreninja:
3. :ultlucario:
4. :ultsonic:
5. :ultmewtwo:
6. :ultsimon: (:ultrichter:)
7. :ulttoonlink:
8. :ultpit:
9. :ultyounglink:
10. :ultmarth:

A good time to have literally 10 (11?) mains.
Just saw this, but I want to toss in my choices too. Mine is based on past preferences and first impressions for newcomers:
1-3: :ultmegaman::ultmewtwo::ultpeach: (My most likely ones; three-way tie)
4: :ultsimon:/:ultrichter: (will definitely use one of these two)
5: :ultsnake:
6: :ultrosalina:
7: :ultridley:
8: :ultwolf:
9: :ultinkling:
10: :ultisabelle:

Can't say for sure if these will stay this way, or if I'll gravitate towards some others entirely as I'm interested in plenty of characters.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Honestly, Smash fans don't appreciate how long this series has gone without substantial cuts.
Melee cut no one.
Brawl cut Mewtwo, Young Link, Roy, and Dr. Mario.
Smash 4 cut Wolf, Ice Climbers (not really by choice), Pokemon Trainer, and Snake (also maybe not by choice) but brought back Roy.

Other series aren't so lucky. Quick example: Street Fighter 3 cut everyone from SF2 except for Ryu and Ken (think Mario and Luigi), and eventually brought back Chun-Li and Akuma. That's 4 of 16 characters from SF2, everyone else was new. Can you imagine if no one stayed from 64 to Melee except Mario and Luigi, and then later releases brought back DK and Samus?

While there's no game like Smash, I don't think cutting most of the roster would alienate people, given the gameplay is innovative enough. It's definitely not as easy as it sounds, but I think Ultimate will give Sakurai the time to think about it. This is assuming he's got it into him, once the time comes to try and follow up Ultimate. I think it's an interesting possibility, since I can't imagine topping Ultimate in content, but something seems hollow about just porting it to whatever the next console is.
I’d be disappointed if they went cut crazy on the next game cause all of the characters I enjoy are definitely the most likely to be cut.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Also since we're coming back to this:
I'll ask a question myself: what are your top 10 characters in Ultimate? Doesn't matter for what reason (mains, preference, etc.), and order/no order is up to you.

For me:

1. :ultkrool:
2. :ultdk:
3. :ultinkling:
4. :ultkirby:
5. :ultridley:
6. :ultgreninja:
7. :ultlink:
8. :ultkingdedede:
9. :ultmario:
10. :ultjigglypuff:

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Correction: We're all screaming. All of us. The reason we can't hear each other's screams is because they're blocked out by our own.
This is the downward spiral that is speculation.

This is getting dark.
sorry can't hear your correction i'm blaring arms music

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think we can all agree that regardless of the legitimacy of Sassy Geno, he's still legitimate in our hearts. Our sassy hearts.
No not really he's just kinda there for me. Don't really care to believe

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Imo, He seems to be the most likely unique Capcom newcomer, as Monster Hunter seems to be getting just a boss and it'd be pretty hard to get Leon in, without bumping the rating up....
That, and Capcom claiming that this would be a big year that would make Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney fans quite happy.

Hmm, on that note, I could see them getting rattled if one of the leaks involving Phoenix Wright is legit.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
So where is the new "tilted geno" image coming from? thats what i want to know, did it exist FIRST?

I'm fine with debunking sassy geno, i had issues with it cause its "linked" with the dixie/banjo image (which always seemed fake) BUT I'm not calling it debunked until I know where this new image came from.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Just for the curious and whatnot, the similarities lie in the cape, face, background and ribbons.
So where is the new "tilted geno" image coming from? thats what i want to know, did it exist FIRST?

I'm fine with debunking sassy geno, i had issues with it cause its "linked" with the dixie/banjo image (which always seemed fake) BUT I'm not calling it debunked until I know where this new image came from.
Supposedly the creator of said leak stepped up and posted the original image (left) with the "leak" image (right)

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
See, I've never really imagined Geno as the sassy type. I've played through Super Mario RPG a few times already, and he just doesn't seem like that to me. No, Geno is definitely not sassy.

Geno is the guy who is ready to kill you at a moment's notice if you stand in his way. He's a cold-blooded murderer (he has no heart) and he seems to take great pleasure in knowing that at any moment he could end you... but he doesn't. The guy knows that you have to break a few eggs, and if you happen to make an omelette along the way, then you have something to eat.
"Well, let's just say that if things stay the way they are, your wishes will never come true."
"Take your best shot!"
"Yo Smithy! Stop making those things and hand over the Star Piece, NOW!"
"Stop! Hold it right there! You don't know what you're doing. RETURN that star to me!"
"I chose him because he looked the strongest out of all the dolls."

But he also knows that sometimes people are idiots and they need things explained to them like they're idiots, so he's sure to oblige and subtly use sarcasm to make sure they understand the point.
"Completely in the dark, eh? Well, it's a big mess up there right now, and it concerns you too!"
"Yes, that star is a broken piece of the Star Road. I'm here to find them all, and repair the Star Road."
"Well Gaz,... it's like this... This is how it used to be, but now...it's like... THIS! Do you get it?"

Geno's not sassy. He's as good a fighter as Snake and as smart as Mewtwo and it's everything he can do to contain himself sometimes.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
I’d be disappointed if they went cut crazy on the next game cause all of the characters I enjoy are definitely the most likely to be cut.
To be fair, Sakurai said it. I have trouble believing he'll really go down to "a third" though, half seems more realistic.
This could be the chance to actually solidify characters who feel left behind as Smash evolves, like most characters from 64 and Melee. Ganondorf is a perfect example, Ult's biggest change for him is bringing his Melee look back, and then giving him Ike's smash attacks.

Iridium

Smash Hero
You know, despite all of the Incineroar talk from "leakers", I'm surprised I haven't seen any models or anything of him. I want to get a feel of how he would look in Ultimate, seriously.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace

For me:

For me:
:ultridley:
:ultgreninja:
:ultfalcon:
:ultganondorf:
:ultwolf:
:ultkrool:
:ultmewtwo:
:ultdarksamus:
:ultsamus:
:ultpokemontrainer:

Obviously this order will change when I get to actually play the game, but there are so many characters that appeal to me I could have over 10 mains. If classic turns out to be good, the replayability will be insane.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

For me:

Since I just saw this:

1. :ultsnake:
2. :ultike:
3. :ultcloud:
4. :ultsimon:
5. :ultzelda:
6. :ultkrool:
7. :ultridley:
8. :ultdaisy:
9. :ultlucina:
10. :ultisabelle:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
But I served my purpose is ****ting on the "we can all believe" bit.:101:
Don't worry, if I ever choose to include you I'll say "We and the other one" in the future.

For example, I'm sure we and the other one are excited for Smash Bros to be released

:denzel:

EDIT: On second thought, you probably hate Smash too don't you Arigarmy

He may not even be in as a fighter for all we know.
don't say that, everyone will take it personally

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Technically there is no proof that this second image wasn't made after the sassy leak. I guess what it's trying to prove is that the model matches up with the leak pretty well, but it obviously could have been manipulated in such a way that it looks like it matches more than it actually does, although technically the same is true in reverse: the sassy leak could have used this model as a base, and been altered to make it look different. Who knows.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
I'd be glad if it were a more interesting Pokemon than Incineroar. Lycanroc or Golisopod are some easy choices since Mimikyu is deconfirmed, and the only real idea we have is Veggieburger saying it's not Decidueye. That makes enough sense anyway, it's already in Pokken and Pit's curvy arrows basically fill that niche. I'd shoot for even more creative choices but Pokemon inclusions are just whoever's new and marketable: Gen 1, Pichu (maybe the worst example here but still) Lucario, Greninja...

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Technically there is no proof that this second image wasn't made after the sassy leak. I guess what it's trying to prove is that the model matches up with the leak pretty well, but it obviously could have been manipulated in such a way that it looks like it matches more than it actually does, although technically the same is true in reverse: the sassy leak could have used this model as a base, and been altered to make it look different. Who knows.

The more I'm looking at it the more it does match up, i guess back to the drawing board over what leak tansut is talking about...with the slight notion in the back of my head that someone might have "recreated" sassy geno or something to "debunk" it who knows...

i wonder if that SAME person could give us proof of the dixie/banjo image? it was never clear if it was the same "fake leaker" but it did seem that way. I dont know where this new geno image is coming from so i cant attempt to ask them to show that too.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I'd be glad if it were a more interesting Pokemon than Incineroar. Lycanroc or Golisopod are some easy choices since Mimikyu is deconfirmed, and the only real idea we have is Veggieburger saying it's not Decidueye. That makes enough sense anyway, it's already in Pokken and Pit's curvy arrows basically fill that niche. I'd shoot for even more creative choices but Pokemon inclusions are just whoever's new and marketable: Gen 1, Pichu (maybe the worst example here but still) Lucario, Greninja...
Actually Verg has gone on to confirm it is in fact Incineroar, he isn't just saying not Decidueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom